If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

The problem isn't in the Sonos software, it's in the LG's processing of the surround signal. If you look through this area of the forum, you'll find a lot of people who have "fixed" the issue by purchasing an HDMI switch with an optical output, and pull the sound out before it reaches the TV.
The problem isn't in the Sonos software, it's in the LG's processing of the surround signal. If you look through this area of the forum, you'll find a lot of people who have "fixed" the issue by purchasing an HDMI switch with an optical output, and pull the sound out before it reaches the TV.
I have a Samsung Q8D TV connected to a Playbase (+Sub+Surrounds) over optical, and SkyQ connected to the TV over HDMI. The audio coming from the Playbase is later than the video, with all audio delays (SkyQ, TV & Playbase) set to zero. I think the issue is that there is a processing delay in the Playbase, even with audio delay set to zero. The reason HDMI breakout boxes work is because they extract the audio prior to the TV processing the video, thereby despite the audio delay in the Playbase, the Video processing takes longer. The workaround I am using is an optical switching box taking inputs from all my devices, then going straight onto the Playbase, with the Playbase audio delay tuned to the video. This isn't ideal as it means audio from TV apps will still be delayed. The only 'fix' I can think of is if Sonos ensures that zero audio delay setting means exactly that. Not sure how feasible this though, as it is processing the audio.
I have this exact issue with my Philips 55OLED803 (which is on Android Oreo). If I use the TV's native apps for Netflix I can get 5.1 sound without any trouble (as shown in the Sonos App). If I try to get my PS4 Pro to use 5.1 Dolby Digital, it is paired with a delay of at least 0.5 sec.
For anyone that circumvented this issue by using a switch to extract the audio and connect straight to the Playbar: Which model is recommended to maintain the same level of video quality? (4k 60fps HDR)

For anyone wondering about this: I was able to solve this by using the switch located here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
While maintaining 4k@60fps HDR quality. The auto switching between channels seems fast and works flawlessly (might also be because of HDMI CEC), and it still allows for 5.1 sound on my Smart TV Apps through HDMI ARC. I wanted a device that was able to switch automatically between inputs as I don't want to fiddle with an extra cheap remote for my setup, I am pleased this was the case. And best of all: No more audio delay!
Badge
If you have unsolved problems with LG, return it and buy a Sony AF9 instead. No issues after as it should be.
I have this exact issue with my Philips 55OLED803 (which is on Android Oreo). If I use the TV's native apps for Netflix I can get 5.1 sound without any trouble (as shown in the Sonos App). If I try to get my PS4 Pro to use 5.1 Dolby Digital, it is paired with a delay of at least 0.5 sec.
For anyone that circumvented this issue by using a switch to extract the audio and connect straight to the Playbar: Which model is recommended to maintain the same level of video quality? (4k 60fps HDR)

For anyone wondering about this: I was able to solve this by using the switch located here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
While maintaining 4k@60fps HDR quality. The auto switching between channels seems fast and works flawlessly (might also be because of HDMI CEC), and it still allows for 5.1 sound on my Smart TV Apps through HDMI ARC. I wanted a device that was able to switch automatically between inputs as I don't want to fiddle with an extra cheap remote for my setup, I am pleased this was the case. And best of all: No more audio delay!

How exactly do you connect the switch with your tv, playbar and PS4 Pro?

I currently have a Beam connected to my tv (LG B8) through HDMI (ARC), and multiple game consoles going straight into the tv through HDMI, experiencing the same kind of delay when using Dolby Digital. If I add this switch to my setup, what would I have to change?
All devices would connect to the switch, instead of the TV. There would then be a single HDMI cable from the switch to the TV for the video, and an optical cable from the switch to the Beam to carry the sound. That way, your TV can't delay the audio signal.
And just to confirm - by adding a switch like that, you wouldn’t lose the ARC functionality of controlling the sound via the LG remote for example?

In my setup, I only have an Apple TV 4K connected to my C7 - I can fix the issue by forcing DD through the Apple TV and connect the beam through the optical but then I lose the ARC functionality, just adjusting the sound with one remote in my case though so not too big of an issue as I don’t use Alexa with the beam for example. But if a switch fixes the lip sync through optical while keeping the HDMI ARC benefits, I’d go for the solution.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not an expert here so appreciate the advice on the device I’d need as well. Based on earlier posts, I’ve been look on amazon for a switch and wondering if this would do the trick:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07F6YPVZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tUQZCbW9PAZFN
Yes, using optical does obviate the use of HDMI-CEC/ARC.

Yes, that looks to me like it would work, given that you only have one device you're ever going to be connecting to your TV that you want to get sound out of. Most people go with the 4 port devices, but it's certainly a preference, not a requirement.
Gotcha - thanks for the additional confirmation. If the CEC/ARC option is gone with that - I'll probably stick with the optical option then directly from TV into the Beam with the optical cable that came with it then as I'll lose it in that setup as well. And can then go for the switch when more devices come in for the future.

It's still all super frustrating but I am glad there is a workaround
And just to confirm - by adding a switch like that, you wouldn’t lose the ARC functionality of controlling the sound via the LG remote for example?

In my setup, I only have an Apple TV 4K connected to my C7 - I can fix the issue by forcing DD through the Apple TV and connect the beam through the optical but then I lose the ARC functionality, just adjusting the sound with one remote in my case though so not too big of an issue as I don’t use Alexa with the beam for example. But if a switch fixes the lip sync through optical while keeping the HDMI ARC benefits, I’d go for the solution.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not an expert here so appreciate the advice on the device I’d need as well. Based on earlier posts, I’ve been look on amazon for a switch and wondering if this would do the trick:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07F6YPVZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tUQZCbW9PAZFN

That's correct. Once putting my TV's sound to 'HDMI external sound' I was able to control just the Playbar using my TV's remote without any further feedback from my TV, which is actually an upside from before. I can't guarantee that it works the same way with a Beam, as my setup only has a Playbar instead, but using the switch I get 5.1 sound from anything plugged into the switch ánd the TV's apps.

My setup is like this:
PS4Pro > HDMI > Switch
Switch > HDMI > TV
Switch > Optical > Playbar

I also noticed about the switch you linked it only supports 4k@30fps, so if you are worried about 4k gaming or HFR movies I'd go for a different one.
Badge
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing these same audio delay issues..but with my Samsung tv...I created a separate thread on this...however, I did some more testing last night with some interesting results...hence why I'm now on this thread (not so Sammy focused).

So..I have an nvidia shield and an Apple Tv 4K. After experiencing these delays, I bought an audio spluitter, hooked up everything via that, optical out (into the sonos audio adapter etc.etc.). Still exact same issue..with no audio going via the tv...wtf?!?!?!?!?!?

So..I thought that perhaps it was some audio setting in both of by boxes (atv and shield)..but i couldn't find anything obvious. I then just 'happened' to change a setting on my apple tv from audio out-hdmi to audio out via airplay....BOOM!! perfect. No delays whatsoever.

For me...this is good news and bad news...I've now seemed to have stumbled across a solution. However, it's only for my ATV 4k...everything else is still shagged. This I now find very irritating...and poses many questions.

Anyone else found the same?

Also...not sure if it's 5.1 or not..haven't tested that yet. I was experiencing delays regardless of whether it was stereo or 5.1..and that is now working. Can Airplay 2 do 5.1 with a Beam and 2 x Play 1's?

thnx
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
If the audio lag is caused by the TV's ability to split the audio signal and send it out, whether via HDMI or optical, shouldn't we be asking the TV manufacturers to introduce a "video lag" setting?
Badge
update on my general messing about aka testing...

so as I had a suspicion (and probably most people already know)...audio via airplay 2 is not 5.1..it does remove sync issues though. However, the 5.1 thing is a problem which means i've removed that solution from the equation.

I managed to solve my issue around STILL having a delay after doing the whole audio extraction solution. For me, it was ARC that for some reason messing it up. My Sammy was connected to the hdmi audio extractor box via the HDMI ARC port, with then both my Apple TV and Shield plugged into that, then optical out to Beam (with the adapter in place). I changed over from using the ARC port on the Sammy to one of the other HDMI In's, and that seems to have resolved the problem. I now have no audio sync issues.

It's a workable solution, but obviously not perfect. Too much faffing about and button pressing is required...but it will do for now. I might look for an auto version of the HDMI Audio extractor that i have, so that removes the need for the tacky remote that comes with it.

cheers everyone
Badge
I had a vizio tv and my playbar worked flawlessly. I recently upgraded to a larger Sony and have the same infuriating sync issue everyone is experiencing. And I’ve tried all the suggested settings adjustments. I’m no engineer but if the issue is with the tv then it’s sonos’ responsibility to get them to make a change or come up with a creative workaround.

Instead their response is there is a known issue that we can’t figure out so let’s just have all our loyal customers debate amongst themselves various imperfect solutions.

Not an acceptable customer service response.

I’ve got Sonos all over my house but this issue makes me want to trash my playbar and start over with another product.
I just purchased a "new" 2018 Vizio, and it works flawlessly. No issues with my PLAYBAR whatsoever. I do feel your pain, however, as I'm very sensitive to lipsync issues. It's one of the reasons that I decided to stay away from Sony, Samsung and LG, all three makers appear to have issues with processing of the audio signal before sending it out of the optical port. I just can't understand how hard it is for the to accept the signal coming in the HDMI port, not touch it, and pass it out the optical port (or HDMI-ARC). Baffling.
Badge
I have seen most issues here have been with Sony and LG, but I have a Sharp Aquos, LC-70C8470U, and have been having the same problems. I have my playbar connected via optical to my TV and my Ps4 via hdmi to the TV, and it starts randomly having a distorted static/cutting out of the audio, it has been happening for a long time now and have been silently been looking for solutions and hoping that an update would be pushed out and fix the issue, but it is sadly still going on to me and many other people, I'm really disappointed.
I have seen most issues here have been with Sony and LG, but I have a Sharp Aquos, LC-70C8470U, and have been having the same problems. I have my playbar connected via optical to my TV and my Ps4 via hdmi to the TV, and it starts randomly having a distorted static/cutting out of the audio, it has been happening for a long time now and have been silently been looking for solutions and hoping that an update would be pushed out and fix the issue, but it is sadly still going on to me and many other people, I'm really disappointed.
Have you checked you have the latest firmware for the TV and have you tried a different optical cable to see if that fixes things. Also the sharp TV may have some enhanced audio features such as 3D Surround, Clear Voice, Bass Enhancer etc. Have you tried disabling those features to reduce unnecessary processing of the audio data?
Badge

I have seen most issues here have been with Sony and LG, but I have a Sharp Aquos, LC-70C8470U, and have been having the same problems. I have my playbar connected via optical to my TV and my Ps4 via hdmi to the TV, and it starts randomly having a distorted static/cutting out of the audio, it has been happening for a long time now and have been silently been looking for solutions and hoping that an update would be pushed out and fix the issue, but it is sadly still going on to me and many other people, I'm really disappointed.Have you checked you have the latest firmware for the TV and have you tried a different optical cable to see if that fixes things. Also the sharp TV may have some enhanced audio features such as 3D Surround, Clear Voice, Bass Enhancer etc. Have you tried disabling those features to reduce unnecessary processing of the audio data?

There is no firmware for the TV, yes I've tried two other optical cables, and this Sharp TV disables any audio settings from the TV when connected to the Sonos bar so it can't be that. I also tried connecting the Optical cable from my main bar to the Ps4 and it still randomly does the same problem as before.
Karasu,

I take it the playbar operates standalone, rather than being bonded with surrounds... how does it do when outputting PCM audio from the TV?
Karasu,

I would switch the audio output setting to “TV speaker” and still turn off all the available sound enhancement features in the TV audio settings and then switch things back to the optical output to the playbar, despite them being unavailable to change when outputting to optical, the additional data may still be being handled by the TV audio processor in the signal, before it is passed out the optical port for the playbar to play... so I would still try switching off those additional features.
Badge
Karasu,

I would switch the audio output setting to “TV speaker” and still turn off all the available sound enhancement features in the TV audio settings and then switch things back to the optical output to the playbar, despite them being unavailable to change when outputting to optical, the additional data may still be being handled by the TV audio processor in the signal, before it is passed out the optical port for the playbar to play... so I would still try switching off those additional features.

I have the Bar with the sub, and two play:1's and a boost as my setup. And I did switch those features off before I set my TV to optical, all TV audio settings are all set to default/off for the enhancers and things that may cause problems, when I change my audio type back to optical the settings get greyed out again
So, if it acts the same when you connect it to the PS4, then it might be the PS4, or it might be the PLAYBAR.

I'd check the audio settings on the PS4, certainly, but the next time it happens, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Badge
Okay, Ken Griffiths and Airgetlam, I will submit it if it does end up happening again, thanks to both of you for your help!
All devices would connect to the switch, instead of the TV. There would then be a single HDMI cable from the switch to the TV for the video, and an optical cable from the switch to the Beam to carry the sound. That way, your TV can't delay the audio signal.

Thanks, I'm almost there. There's just one thing I need clearing up. Let's say I use this device: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

How would I still get sound through my Beam whenever I play native content on my TV (i.e. from the Spotify or Youtube app on my tv). Would the single HDMI cable running from the switch output have to be connected to the HDMI ARC input on my tv? Or would that then not process the signals of my other connected devices (PS4 Pro etc.) correctly?