Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

I have a new Arc (with sub and surrounds) and new 65” Samsung The Frame. The audio connection problem is real.

Sonos and Samsung need to work together to fix it.

A simple power on and off of the Arc consistently fixes this. 

But doing this is not only inconvenient, also very occasionally I then have an issue with the Arc cluster properly re-registering on the network, sometimes then, in-turn, requiring me to reset my entire mesh network.

Sonos owes everyone a formal public statement about how it will fix its problem.

And it should fix it, and fast.

If you read the posts, you’ll learn it’s not a Sonos issue, but the tv manufacturers! Sony and Samsung have already come out with firmware updates that fix the issue. Different regions are getting them at different times. 

I’ve installed the Samsung update from last month  it didn’t resolve a thing and I’ve tried the sound bar on my Vizio TV same issue

I received an replied email from them and they admitted that there are some problems with the samsung tv. They are now working with samsung to fix this problem. No time frame guarantee 

Badge

Hello, 
same problem here (ARC and Samsung 55Q95T 2020)…
Audio from the Arc cutting each days after powering TV on…
Very annoying for such an expensive configuration …
Since I've done the Samsung last update, it's worst than ever!

Will Sonos and Samsung fix this issue once and for all???
You must hurry, i'ts been a while now that users complains about this problem!!

Read the latest updates and adding another voice to the same problem, will try local support in AUS and see if they have anything more to offer than the script… otherwise will be returning and downgrading to something with less bugs… will post if I have any luck

Badge +2

Yes! The TV is set to Passthrough and eARC is on. I have noticed it is generally Dolby atmos content that causes the issue???

I’ve not noticed it with my C9 HT setup. Any particular type of Atmos, compressed, or uncompressed ...and is it from a particular App or device?

As an example I’m using compressed DD+ Atmos from the in-built Netflix App (6 Underground) and the lip-sync is just fine - no dropouts or sync issues with the Audio. 

I’ve used a blue-ray player (set to bitstream) to play uncompressed Dolby TrueHD Audio (not Atmos) and that is working fine here too.

Those are just as examples. I’m just wondering if it’s a connected source like your Apple TV 4K using uncompressed multichannel LPCM - if so, then it’s likely the connecting cable, or perhaps the TV not passing through the uncompressed audio quickly enough - as the Arc will only play the audio when it receives it. If that is the case maybe try a different cable or try switching the pass-through option off and back on again and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks Ken,

I have a certified HDMI 2.1 Ultra HDMI cable attached between the LG C9 and Sonos, so I don’t think it is that. I actually went and brought this cable because I thought it might be that exact reason. I will try switching pass through on and off on the TV and see if that helps. Such a shame that what should be a great experience is ending up as a major pain in the backside.

Appreciate the reply! :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I received an replied email from them and they admitted that there are some problems with the samsung tv. They are now working with samsung to fix this problem. No time frame guarantee 

Been hearing this for too many months now.  I really used to love love love Sonos.  Now, every day that I have to restart it to get it to work I hate it more and more.  

Badge

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and appreciate all the details and sharing the feedbacks. Let me now help you with this.

For Samsung TV users, check the steps below. 

1. First, check if the issue occurs when using a different HDMI cable.
  2. If the issue persists, we then want to eliminate any other bad HDMI devices that could be causing the issue.
  3. If you have multiple HDMI connected devices and inbuilt apps, does the issue occur without all the HDMI devices connected, if not, add one HDMI device back to the TV at a time until the combination is found that causes the issue?
  4. Else if the issue persists without any other HDMI sources connected or just the one primary HDMI source, check the workaround/s below and let me know the Samsung TV model.

Two options:

• Reboot the Sonos ARC.
  • Hard reboot the TV ( disconnect the TV from the power for a minute or two) then reconnect power.

We have reported the issue to Samsung and that we are working with them to address the issue. 

For Sony TV users:

Arc is experiencing TV playback interruptions when playing DD+ format content from Sony XBR950G TV apps.

Adjusting TV audio settings to DD or PCM audio format will be our workaround if you have the same problem.

For LG TV users:

When using an LG C9 with the output set to eARC, and playing DD+ Atmos content from the inbuilt apps, the audio will be frequently interrupted. For now, disable eARC on the LG C9 OLED TV for Inbuilt DD+Atmos Content.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the patience and understanding. Our engineering team is currently working on a fix. We don’t have the exact timing to share at this point and will update this thread when we do.

If you all have a different problem, create a new thread, or find a similar thread that would be helpful to your concern. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

3 months later and the problem is still there…

SONOS, any news about it???

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Same problem here with a Panasonic HZ1000 OLED. Iv had a Playbar since it was first released and it’s been faultless. Bought a new tv so thought I’d take advantage of the eArc functionality and the Dolby atmos so bought an arc. Absolutewaste of money it’s going back! The only way to get Dolby sound on the internal Prime app is to switch the Arc off and then back on again and it will then work intermittently for a while Then it disappears. The only way then to get sound is to change the format to PCM which is output in stereo 2:0 only. If I then switch it off and back on the same thing happens again. Replaced all cables etc as well.it’s no worth the money so is going back unless it gets resolved by support, 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Same problem here with a Panasonic HZ1000 OLED. Iv had a Playbar since it was first released and it’s been faultless. Bought a new tv so thought I’d take advantage of the eArc functionality and the Dolby atmos so bought an arc. Absolutewaste of money it’s going back! The only way to get Dolby sound on the internal Prime app is to switch the Arc off and then back on again and it will then work intermittently for a while Then it disappears. The only way then to get sound is to change the format to PCM which is output in stereo 2:0 only. If I then switch it off and back on the same thing happens again. Replaced all cables etc as well.it’s no worth the money so is going back unless it gets resolved by support, 

If you read some of the previous posts.. you’ll see it’s not a Sonos issue… tv manufacturers are coming out with firmware updates that are fixing this issue.. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

If you read some of the previous posts.. you’ll see it’s not a Sonos issue… tv manufacturers are coming out with firmware updates that are fixing this issue.. 

If that is true, then Sonos should prove it.  State the spec the TVs are not following.  Show the test where the TV is improperly signaling the Arc. So far, it’s just each side blaming the other and us stuck having dropped the $ to pay for premium equipment that does not work together as advertised.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

If that is true, then Sonos should prove it.  State the spec the TVs are not following.  Show the test where the TV is improperly signaling the Arc. So far, it’s just each side blaming the other and us stuck having dropped the $ to pay for premium equipment that does not work together as advertised.  

Really??? If you didn’t do something wrong… you should prove it.. lol..again.. read previous posts where members have posted the Arc is fine AFTER DOING THE TV UPDATE… Sony, Samsung…...

Having the same issue with a 2020 Samsung Frame 65" and the Arc. I had the 2019 55" Samsung Frame with no issues. Solution please Sonos!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Having the same issue with a 2020 Samsung Frame 65" and the Arc. I had the 2019 55" Samsung Frame with no issues. Solution please Sonos!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I’m no av expert so don’t know if it’s Sonos or the set manufacturer who’s unable to sustain the Dolby signal but it seems odd that it isn’t localised to one tv brand and is almost universal in its application suggesting to me it’s the arc not the tv,  but I may be wrong who knows. All I know is that the playbar output 5:1 fine but now the arc can’t do it or should I say it can but the signal quality is terrible and gets worse the longer I watch something on the internal tv apps.

Iv looked online and also tried a software update on my TV and nothing is currently available my tv is up to date. Panasonic don’t do many updates and the new 2021 models will be here before you know it so I’m left wondering whether I should keep the arc or return it and go back to my playbar. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I see a lot of people only mentioning the TV as a source for the Arc. If you do not use any other sources (game computer, Bluray player), I doubt if turning off eARC (as a work around) would matter much for getting Atmos on the Arc. From what I read all apps on TV’s use DD+ for Atmos content and you do not need eARC for that. ARC is enough.

Of course Sonos and TV manufacturers should cure this, but maybe for a lot of users the problem is not as big as it looks....

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I see a lot of people only mentioning the TV as a source for the Arc. If you do not use any other sources (game computer, Bluray player), I doubt if turning off eARC (as a work around) would matter much for getting Atmos on the Arc. From what I read all apps on TV’s use DD+ for Atmos content and you do not need eARC for that. ARC is enough.

Of course Sonos and TV manufacturers should cure this, but maybe for a lot of users the problem is not as big as it looks....

With my Samsung Frame and Arc setup, I have the cutout problem in both cases - eARC turned off and eARC set to Auto.  However it is much worse with eARC.  With eARC, the cutouts are all over the place and the sound never stabilizes, even with reboots.  With ARC, it is at least a bit predictable.  It always cuts in and out when I begin viewing, but almost always stays on for the duration of my watching after I reboot the Arc.  

Agreed there seem to be users where this is not a problem.  That’s the frustrating angle for those of us in the ‘broken’ bucket and can’t get answers on how to get into the ‘working’ bucket.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Really??? If you didn’t do something wrong… you should prove it.. lol..again.. read previous posts where members have posted the Arc is fine AFTER DOING THE TV UPDATE… Sony, Samsung…...

Yes really.  I spent money with two companies that are both saying it’s the others fault.  Yes, I say prove it.  Although I am glad others have posted they are doing fine after the TV update, that doesn’t make my investment suddenly worth it.  I and many others are not.  Yes I am fully up to date on both sides.  Over and over again with each update that comes out, and it never resolves.  So yes, really.  I have been patient for months and am to the point of asking for proof that either of these companies know what the problem is and what end needs to fix it, maybe even both.  At these price points, they don’t get a pass like this is some throwaway off brand setup.  But it sure is behaving like one.

Not sure if anyone has tried, this steps are working for me.

(This is not permanent fix though, probably it will save you from unplugging and plugging)

I have Samsung Frame.

Goto Settings > Sound > Expert Settings > Turn off eARC > Turn off Dolby Atmos Compatibility > at this point issue should be disappeared > Turn on Dolby Atmos Compatibility > Turn on eARC.

Let me know if this helps anyone.

FYI - the latest Samsung firmware _does not_ fix this. It seems to happen less, but still happens.

the answer above is not a solution, it just gets it working again without having to unplug the arc, it will still break again.

the only workaround is to just never turn anything off, which is frankly unacceptable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I’m no av expert so don’t know if it’s Sonos or the set manufacturer who’s unable to sustain the Dolby signal but it seems odd that it isn’t localised to one tv brand and is almost universal in its application suggesting to me it’s the arc not the tv,  but I may be wrong who knows. All I know is that the playbar output 5:1 fine but now the arc can’t do it or should I say it can but the signal quality is terrible and gets worse the longer I watch something on the internal tv apps.

Iv looked online and also tried a software update on my TV and nothing is currently available my tv is up to date. Panasonic don’t do many updates and the new 2021 models will be here before you know it so I’m left wondering whether I should keep the arc or return it and go back to my playbar. 

Maybe get a different tv brand that has the newest updates?? Panasonic is not a popular brand... 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Maybe get a different tv brand that has the newest updates?? Panasonic is not a popular brand... 

I think you just like to wind people up.

I really don’t think that would make a difference anyway as it seems from reading this thread the latest updates on other brands of TV are not working either. Its seems its either return the TV and wait and hope the 2021 models from all manufacturers are better equipped at passing through the signal needed for the sonos to work (if it is a tv problem) or return the sonos and purchase a soundbar that doesn’t have this problem as other soundbars don’t seem to suffer from this judging from what i have been reading on AV Forums.

This issue is still happening to me - since November.  Arc + Samsung Frame (55”) 2020.

Diagnostic #267704039

Arc version 12.2.2

Samsung firmware 1403.1

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Oh do behave!

This seems to be the most active thread so I’ll tag on to try and pressure Sonos for a solution. 

Samsung Frame 65” 2020 model and Sonos arc

Sound cuts in and out every morning after being off. This happens on any sources that come trough the TV. Music plays fine.

Unplug and repluging either works as long as the TV is not turned off. Different HDMI cables don’t help. Optical converter solves the issue but doesn’t provide ATMOS for sources which have it. 

I loved Sonos, and have them throughout my house so the optical converter is my “solution” until we can get to the bottom of this. 

Please Sonos, help us!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This seems to be the most active thread so I’ll tag on to try and pressure Sonos for a solution. 

Samsung Frame 65” 2020 model and Sonos arc

Sound cuts in and out every morning after being off. This happens on any sources that come trough the TV. Music plays fine.

Unplug and repluging either works as long as the TV is not turned off. Different HDMI cables don’t help. Optical converter solves the issue but doesn’t provide ATMOS for sources which have it. 

I loved Sonos, and have them throughout my house so the optical converter is my “solution” until we can get to the bottom of this. 

Please Sonos, help us!

Same setup, same problems.  Amen!