Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

750 replies

Its only related to my tv and eARC. And its been there a long time. My audio drops completly when switching source - native appe, tv tuner and Apple tv 4K.

Well I hope you find a solution to the issue, sooner rather than later - I assume you’re waiting for a TV firmware update too...🤔?

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Its only related to my tv and eARC. And its been there a long time. My audio drops completly when switching source - native appe, tv tuner and Apple tv 4K.

Exactly the same here, lg cx.

Badge +1

Anyone can confirm that Sony fixed the issue with the last update 6.4960 on the 950G?

Badge

I have bought a 2020 Samsung Frame and thinking of buying a Sonos Arc but i’ve been put off by all the posts about issues with compatibility.  Am I correct in thinking that I can just switch off eArc/Atmos and the Arc will work without Atmos capability?  I could probably live with that but if it doesn’t work even for “normal” (non-atmos) sound from the TV properly then obviously it is a dealbreaker.

I have an LG from 2017 (arc only) and the audio cuts about once an hour. Tried with latest hdmi gen, earlier gen, the supplied hdmi and the optical adapter. I printed all these messages and opened a small claims case since I'm outside return /exchange. Looks like Sonos should be thinking recall instead hiding it and making the end users pay the price. 

Sony XBR-77A9G Arc, Sub, Surrounds.

Wishing I knew about this before spending nearly 2K

Sound cuts out and then the regular tv speaker won't work either.

Any hints of a fix anyone?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

As awful a workaround as this is, I’ve put a smartplug on my Arc connected to my Smartthings.  Before I watch, I tell Google to ‘Turn off my soundbar’ and then ‘Turn on my soundbar’.  Not a frustrating as digging in the cabinet to unplug and plug it.  But in my head, all I am saying is ‘Hey Google, waste some more money on Sonos please’.

Badge

Has anyone tried changing the media source from HDMI 1 port to the HDMI 3 or 4 ports? I’ve heard there can be an issue with the HDMI 1 port in LG TVs.

I also experience occasional sound drop on Sonos arc when watching Netflix. It will revert to TV audio and then revert back to Sonos arc over the course of 2-3 seconds. Pretty annoying but this is intermittent, about once or twice a week. I will try to plug in my chromecast TV to hdmi 3 and see if I experience anymore of those issues. 

Folks, I mentioned this back on page 5, but I guess there’s so much to read that people may miss it.

I can’t understand how anyone expects e-arc to work without a compatible cable! The article here; https://www.techhive.com/article/3239084/hdmi-21-has-arrived-heres-everything-you-need-to-know.html and particularly the tables, indicate that a HDMI 2.1 (or better) cable is required for e-arc.  There’s a good chance that you’re using older, not compatible cables (and I read that the Sonos supplied cable is HDMI 1.4!).  They’re pretty cheap too.  I also note that as a rule-of-thumb, cables >6 feet require amplification.  Not suggesting that this will fix all snags, but surely worth a try.

Hi

I'm just another fool who's invested in a Sonos Arc and now getting audio cutting in/out on a new Samsung q80t. Wish I read this thread first.

What's Sonos response on it? 

Is the beam also having the same issues?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Folks, I mentioned this back on page 5, but I guess there’s so much to read that people may miss it.

I can’t understand how anyone expects e-arc to work without a compatible cable! The article here; https://www.techhive.com/article/3239084/hdmi-21-has-arrived-heres-everything-you-need-to-know.html and particularly the tables, indicate that a HDMI 2.1 (or better) cable is required for e-arc.  There’s a good chance that you’re using older, not compatible cables (and I read that the Sonos supplied cable is HDMI 1.4!).  They’re pretty cheap too.  I also note that as a rule-of-thumb, cables >6 feet require amplification.  Not suggesting that this will fix all snags, but surely worth a try.

Do you really believe that Sonos would supply a HDMI cable that was not sufficient? There’s only a handful of users that have issues with the Arc, but so many more that don’t and they’re using the Sonos supplied cable. I had changed cables and still had issues. You know how I resolved my audio drop issue?? I did the Sony update that fixed it. Sony even acknowledged the problem. I’m still using the Sonos supplied cable.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Sony XBR-77A9G Arc, Sub, Surrounds.

Wishing I knew about this before spending nearly 2K

Sound cuts out and then the regular tv speaker won't work either.

Any hints of a fix anyone?

Have you seen the Sony update? V6.4960 update. I had the same issue as you . Not everyone is getting the update at the same time nor is it for every tv model. Notice the yellow highlight area at bottom.

I installed firmware update version 1460.9 on my Samsung QLED Q8DT last night and it appears to have resolved the problem. We watched several different streaming services with no issues. Good luck!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Since updating yesterday to the latest Apple TV software, the audio issue seems worse. Atmos content plays fine, but non Atmos audio cuts in and out every second or two. This is only when playing content from my Apple TV 4K (plugged into an LG GX 65”, with Arc, Sub and 2 rears).

Anyone can confirm that Sony fixed the issue with the last update 6.4960 on the 950G?

Can confirm, updated our Sony 85-inch X950G to firmware 6.4960 followed by a factory reset. This has completely resolved all sound dropout issues with the Arc, have watched well over 15 hours of Atmos content since the update on native Netflix/Prime Video apps without any issues.

I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Samsung and Sonos have advised to turn off eARC for the time being until a fix is issued… (fix might be returning this tv...) D̶o̶l̶b̶y̶ ̶A̶t̶m̶o̶s̶

So I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Samsung and Sonos have advised to turn off eARC for the time being until a fix is issued… (fix might be returning this tv...) D̶o̶l̶b̶y̶ ̶A̶t̶m̶o̶s̶

Same issue. Cutting and out Samsung Frame and Arc. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

So I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Read the above post on Samsung update..

Where are you reading that Sonos is supplying 1.4 cables?  I’m swapping the stock cable out with a definite 2.1 cable I have in the packaging I never ended up using so I’ll see if that helps but it seems very odd that they ship a 2.1 feature device that’s supposed to pass Atmos sound through with a 1.4 cable...

My setup

sonos arc

sono sub (3.gen)

LG GX65 

Playstation 5

My sound is randomly falling out and switch to sound from tv speakers in 2sec then returning to ARC. This is only while watching TV and not streaming music. When i use playstation 5 the problem happen even more often. 

Badge

My setup

sonos arc

sono sub (3.gen)

LG GX65 

Playstation 5

My sound is randomly falling out and switch to sound from tv speakers in 2sec then returning to ARC. This is only while watching TV and not streaming music. When i use playstation 5 the problem happen even more often. 

I have the same issue except when watching about 3-4 hrs of Netflix on the LG native app in Dolby vision. I do hope they come up with a fix soon. I heard it coming in December 

Badge

Hi, there, 

My set up:

Arc, Samsung Q90 85’ TV, eARC connection. both are on latest version of firmware. 

external device: Apple TV, PS5, Virgin Media TV box (UK)

Before I plug in the Virgin Media TV Box, everything was working flawlessly. So I assume that’s the TV box which caused the issue. The TV box has a function that its remote controller can take over the volume control of TV. Normally, people will turn it on. I switched it off. So the TV volume can’t be controlled by the TV Box controller anymore.  Bingo, no more sound cut off. 

Maybe it’s better to test each external device one by one. From my experience, the issue was caused by external device, not by TV or Arc. 

Badge

Hi, there, 

My set up:

Arc, Samsung Q90 85’ TV, eARC connection. both are on latest version of firmware. 

Before I plug in the Virgin Media TV Box, everything was working flawlessly. So I assume that’s the TV box which caused the issue. The TV box has a function that its remote controller can take over the volume control of TV. Normally, people will turn it on. I switched it off. So the TV volume can’t be controlled by the TV Box controller anymore.  Bingo, no more sound cut off. 

Maybe it’s better to test each external device one by one. From my experience, the issue was caused by external device, not by TV or Arc. 

Yeah I tried unplugging my chromecast TV from the TV and it still cut off. I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the LG Tv. 

Badge

Hi, there, 

My set up:

Yeah I tried unplugging my chromecast TV from the TV and it still cut off. I’m pretty sure it’s an issue with the LG Tv. 

Maybe I need to unplug the batteries from the remote then haha