Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

749 replies

I have posted my issues in the past, and it's not solved yet. My setup is Samsung frame and Sonos Arc, and I endure the same drops as everyone. The only thing new is I have changed cables with more robust/better isolated ones, tried to keep the cables from different devices separated as much as possible and... Nothing, it's still a total disaster. 

The only thing I have improved is putting a power plug with a switch to shut the thing up easier than before. This is really a mess up. I was sooo looking forward to finally have a good set up at home... I am very disappointed 

Bought the Arc a few days ago to pair with my Sony 85” X90CH along with an SL one pair for surround.  The audio cuts out randomly in spite of trying everything that has been suggested and the issue still persists.  I’m returning the Arc and the SL One pair,  NOT worth the investment of almost $1100 for this type of subpar experience.  Also can't believe reading this thread that this issue has been going on for months and Sonos still doesn't have a fix!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Bought the Arc a few days ago to pair with my Sony 85” X90CH along with an SL one pair for surround.  The audio cuts out randomly in spite of trying everything that has been suggested and the issue still persists.  I’m returning the Arc and the SL One pair,  NOT worth the investment of almost $1100 for this type of subpar experience.  Also can't believe reading this thread that this issue has been going on for months and Sonos still doesn't have a fix!

Have you done the Software update from Sony? V6.4960

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I see many talking about the audio drop issues, but not seeing many posts on the tv updates some have done including myself that seem to have corrected the issue.

Thanks for your message.  My TV is the XBR85X90CH and has the latest update (released on 11/26) based on the info on Sony’s support website for this TV. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Thanks for your message.  My TV is the XBR85X90CH and has the latest update (released on 11/26) based on the info on Sony’s support website for this TV. 

Is it the V6.4960 update? It’s rolled out to different locations at different times. Look at the yellow highlight area..

It’s not.  My TV’s model (XBR-85X90CH) is not listed in the ‘Applicable Models’ list for v6.4960.  I have the latest firmware for my model

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

It’s not.  My TV’s model (XBR-85X90CH) is not listed in the ‘Applicable Models’ list for v6.4960.  I have the latest firmware for my model

I bet you’ll get it at one point. 

I updated my X950H to v6.4960 and it appears the issue is resolved with the Arc. I watched an episode of The Umbrella Academy and not one sound drop or distortion, whereas previously the sound would completely cut out 5-10 times per episode.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Anyone with LG CX had complete sound drops switching between sources?

Have you experienced any since 3.11.30 firmware?, It’s too early to tell but since installing 3.11.30 on the CX, apart from a minor audio dropout that came back on its own, I have yet to get a complete loss of sound when switching between sources.

But as said it's only been since yesterday, that the ARC has played nice. 

Maybe try this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/ki8uo8/atmos_audio_bug_with_apple_tv_4k_lg_cx_arc_fixed/

Hi, I've recently had this issue on a brand new setup of Samsung QE55Q90 and sonos arc connected through eArc in the TV. Every so often the sound would start to drop for about a second every few seconds. Only way to fix was to unplug sonos arc from the mains and restart it. 

I see other people have mentioned problems after using the Nintendo Switch and it dawned on me that I've only recently plugged the switch into the TV and the sound drop outs appear to have started since then - it definitely didn't happen for the few weeks I've had the sonos before then.

Have unplugged the Switch completely and will report back if the sound drops out again 

I know it's difficult to test for all permutations of AV equipment but I don't think this is really good enough for such an expensive soundbar. 

Hi, I've recently had this issue on a brand new setup of Samsung QE55Q90 and sonos arc connected through eArc in the TV. Every so often the sound would start to drop for about a second every few seconds. Only way to fix was to unplug sonos arc from the mains and restart it. 

I see other people have mentioned problems after using the Nintendo Switch and it dawned on me that I've only recently plugged the switch into the TV and the sound drop outs appear to have started since then - it definitely didn't happen for the few weeks I've had the sonos before then.

Have unplugged the Switch completely and will report back if the sound drops out again 

I know it's difficult to test for all permutations of AV equipment but I don't think this is really good enough for such an expensive soundbar. 

If the matter is resolved, then try switching off HDMI-CEC control on the Nintendo Switch.
I think (but not sure?) you have to goto "Settings | External Inputs | Bravia Sync Settings | Bravia Sync Device List” to switch it off - at least that’s what was mentioned online.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I manually updated (download firmware, put on usb, update from usb) my Sony A9G to the latest firmware - release notes mentioned soundbar integration enhancements. Normally this update is rolled out automatically by Sony but it could take weeks or even longer till you get it. 

No sound cuts occurred since this update. My sincere advice to Sonos is to really adjust and be more clear in your communication.

Apparently the integration with soundbars by TV manufacturers requires improvements and impacts Sonos as well. From what I have read, these issues also happen with equipment from Bose and Denon.

And yes, these issues should have come to light in the QA process of Sonos when doing integration testing. They were easy to replicate, but that is a learning I guess for future products.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

If the matter is resolved, then try switching off HDMI-CEC control on the Nintendo Switch.
I think (but not sure?) you have to goto "Settings | External Inputs | Bravia Sync Settings | Bravia Sync Device List” to switch it off - at least that’s what was mentioned online.

You mention Bravia in your post when he has a Samsung. I’ve only known Bravia to be related to Sony. 

You mention Bravia in your post when he has a Samsung. I’ve only known Bravia to be related to Sony

I imagine there are similar settings on my Samsung so is still useful information.

So far,I have not had the dropouts since the Nintendo hdmi was unplugged so may be related to the Cec channel. 

I also have issues with my Virgin Media V6 box and Cec with regard to turning on and off from the tv, eg turning on the tv sometimes turns off the virgin box and it all gets out of sync.

None of this is really good enough for a brand new £2K setup but I was aware of the eArc,hdmi 2.1 teething problems but hoped the manufacturers will carry on testing and bug fixing.

Merry Xmas!

You mention Bravia in your post when he has a Samsung. I’ve only known Bravia to be related to Sony

I imagine there are similar settings on my Samsung so is still useful information.

So far,I have not had the dropouts since the Nintendo hdmi was unplugged so may be related to the Cec channel. 

I also have issues with my Virgin Media V6 box and Cec with regard to turning on and off from the tv, eg turning on the tv sometimes turns off the virgin box and it all gets out of sync.

None of this is really good enough for a brand new £2K setup but I was aware of the eArc,hdmi 2.1 teething problems but hoped the manufacturers will carry on testing and bug fixing.

Merry Xmas!

Ah sorry, my mistake, I saw the Sony A9G mentioned in famschopman’s post and made the error of thinking that related to your post. For Samsung devices, I understand they call HDMI-CEC standard   "Anynet+” - and as another user here, I was just trying to assist.

Your VM V6 box has no option to switch off CEC, but there are CEC-Less adapters to cater for that situation.

Merry Christmas to you also.👍

I experience various issues:

• sonos system only plays music on arc, while the other speakers remain silent. Seems to resolve after resetting the wifi in some cases.
  • samsung frame 2020 tv and sonos arc seem to fight all the time. Sometimes the sound stops, turns on, stops,…

very disappointing after this longer period of issues being reported…?!

This is just ridiculous, I spent $3000 for the entire setup and this is the 10th time I write on this forum with another issue since June. 

I have exactly the same issue, used to be weekly but now its MULTIPLE times throughout the day! 

I have a Q95T Samsung, a PS5, and Sonos Arc with Sub + LB + RB. 

I restart the Sonos Arc and then its not even discoverable through the Sonos app, I have to do multiple restarts, when I do, I can access the app but then everything else is missing from the App other than the ARC so I have to restart the surrounds and the sub. 

It keeps happening when I switch between PS5/TV or TV ambient mode and Spotify. 

Samsung got an update a month ago I don't know if that’s the issue or Sonos are just completely trash but Im just so frustrated at this point. 

I experience various issues:

• sonos system only plays music on arc, while the other speakers remain silent. Seems to resolve after resetting the wifi in some cases.
  • samsung frame 2020 tv and sonos arc seem to fight all the time. Sometimes the sound stops, turns on, stops,…

very disappointing after this longer period of issues being reported…?!

If you goto “Settings/System/[Arc Room Name]/Surround Audio” and switch Music Playback from ‘Ambient’ to ‘Full’ ...see if that solves your issue for playing music.

This is just ridiculous, I spent $3000 for the entire setup and this is the 10th time I write on this forum with another issue since June. 

I have exactly the same issue, used to be weekly but now its MULTIPLE times throughout the day! 

I have a Q95T Samsung, a PS5, and Sonos Arc with Sub + LB + RB. 

I restart the Sonos Arc and then its not even discoverable through the Sonos app, I have to do multiple restarts, when I do, I can access the app but then everything else is missing from the App other than the ARC so I have to restart the surrounds and the sub. 

It keeps happening when I switch between PS5/TV or TV ambient mode and Spotify. 

Samsung got an update a month ago I don't know if that’s the issue or Sonos are just completely trash but Im just so frustrated at this point. 

If the Arc goes missing from the Sonos App, my initial thoughts are that its more likely a local networking issue - probably WiFi interference perhaps. You may find this video can be helpful:

Wireless Interference and Sonos

All my Sonos products are hardwired and this setup works better than wifi in my experience.

I have just fallen into the Sonos black hole with the abysmal Arc soundbar not working as advertised with a new ‘flagship’ Samsung TV. I suffer intermittent sound, and a compete lack of dolby Atmos and cinema sound (from suitable sources), and lacklustre sound in various combinations. Having now tripped across this support forum, not only do i discover the problems are common and well known, far worse, they have existed for months, and months. How on earth can Sonos sell equipment that is well known not to work in a very large number of setups, and make no mention of that fact in the sales process - in my view thats criminal.

Having driven to suppliers after many hours of research, coughed up my hard earned cash, I then spent many hours trying to fix it, inc fulfilling requests from Sonos support, reconfiguring setups, buying new Hdmi cables as requested (at my cost) and the only option i am now offered is to return it. No offer of timescales for a fix, no recompense for the time, money and effort wasted, and no recognition that Sonos really messed up on this.

Their remains the Sonos statement that it is a Samsung problem, really, as well as LG, Sony, JVC which apparently have the same problems? The final irritation - a client has an identical TV which on all counts works 100% correctly with a non Sonos sound system, boy do I regret having a house full of Sonos equipment…

Seems to me that after more than 6 months Sonos needs to offer a timetable for a fix, or i for one will simply have some old equipment that still doesn't quite work, what an appalling situation...

I have just fallen into the Sonos black hole with the abysmal Arc soundbar not working as advertised with a new ‘flagship’ Samsung TV. I suffer intermittent sound, and a compete lack of dolby Atmos and cinema sound (from suitable sources), and lacklustre sound in various combinations. Having now tripped across this support forum, not only do i discover the problems are common and well known, far worse, they have existed for months, and months. How on earth can Sonos sell equipment that is well known not to work in a very large number of setups, and make no mention of that fact in the sales process - in my view thats criminal.

Having driven to suppliers after many hours of research, coughed up my hard earned cash, I then spent many hours trying to fix it, inc fulfilling requests from Sonos support, reconfiguring setups, buying new Hdmi cables as requested (at my cost) and the only option i am now offered is to return it. No offer of timescales for a fix, no recompense for the time, money and effort wasted, and no recognition that Sonos really messed up on this.

Their remains the Sonos statement that it is a Samsung problem, really, as well as LG, Sony, JVC which apparently have the same problems? The final irritation - a client has an identical TV which on all counts works 100% correctly with a non Sonos sound system, boy do I regret having a house full of Sonos equipment…

Seems to me that after more than 6 months Sonos needs to offer a timetable for a fix, or i for one will simply have some old equipment that still doesn't quite work, what an appalling situation...

What did Samsung have to say about your matter? I understand Sony have mentioned they’re going to fix their issues with a firmware update for some of their TV models, hopefully coming soon.  

I have two LG TV’s that are working with an Arc and Beam without any issues, but if Samsung have acknowledged a problem, then isn’t this perhaps down to them to resolve? 

I’m considering a new TV for our Dining room, but it would be nice to know what Samsung have to say about the matter - I know some of their older sets with "auto-hdmi-select" were problematic and there was no software fix for that issue.

Samsung are still investigating my issue, but as so much equipment works correctly with their TV’s they might not change anything.  As I mentioned, a client has a system that works fine (Not a Sonos soundbar!) and whilst Samsung (and Sonos) accept their is an issue, I am not sure Samsung see it as their issue TBH?

I have seen owners with Samsung, JVC, Phillips, and Sony TV’s reporting issues with the Sonos arc and sound. In my situation, cycling the power on the Sonos at least gives me sound - but its like stepping back 30 years!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Samsung are still investigating my issue, but as so much equipment works correctly with their TV’s they might not change anything.  As I mentioned, a client has a system that works fine (Not a Sonos soundbar!) and whilst Samsung (and Sonos) accept their is an issue, I am not sure Samsung see it as their issue TBH?

I have seen owners with Samsung, JVC, Phillips, and Sony TV’s reporting issues with the Sonos arc and sound. In my situation, cycling the power on the Sonos at least gives me sound - but its like stepping back 30 years!

Sony owner here and had the same issue. Sony , not Sonos , came out with a software update that has fixed the issue. I have read that Samsung has also had a software update that fixes the issue. It’s not a Sonos issue.