Answered

Support for Apple music with Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

141 replies

I’m eagerly waiting for this 😳

And alternatively I’m switching to Alexa which supports this - till Sonos/Googles solves this.

When is this going to be added?

Userlevel 1

I was shocked that this didn’t work when I setup a new Nest Hub yesterday.  Sonos team, if you’re watching this thread, can you help us to understand what the issue is?

• Should we putting pressure on Apple for the proper APIs to support? Google? You? 
  • Can you confirm that it’s on your roadmap to enable the proper behavior? Do you have any sort of target that you can share?

This still isn’t done yet? Lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi All.

I’m afraid the Best Answer from Ditte still stands - we have no further information to share.

Pretty sure this is a Google thing, not a Sonos problem. They’re not going to badmouth Google here though. Fortunately the workaround isn’t terrible…I just talk to Siri to play music via Airplay rather than talking to Google directly through the speakers. 

Hi community and CM’s.

Not to necro this thread but I’m still hoping that this can be resolved.

I don’t think this needs to be a case of bad mouthing anyone.   There can be full transparency here without blaming any other party. 

I think the community appreciates that feature development can take time.  A formal acknowledgement that the CMs are listening to their customer base and then something to manage expectations would go along way.  “We are working with xxxxxx to identify solution options and we expect this to take yyyyyyy.  Please bear with us”.

If it’s “never” going to happen (never is long time - think close ecosystems now more open). Also say so we can invest our time money and effort elsewhere.  

Best,

James

Pretty sure this is a Google thing, not a Sonos problem. They’re not going to badmouth Google here though. Fortunately the workaround isn’t terrible…I just talk to Siri to play music via Airplay rather than talking to Google directly through the speakers. 

Can’t be a Google thing , Apple Music works fine on all Google nest products you can even ask Google to play radio stations on Sonos. When you ask Google to play music (my default is Apple Music) on Sonos it says ok now playing then “I’m sorry Sonos doesn’t support Apple Music”

I like to blame Google for a lot of things but this is purely with Sonos.

Any update

definitely feels like a “google” issue….when I set google as my voice assistant on my arc, it won't play Apple Music. When I change it to Alexa, it works flawlessly….Google will allow me to play Apple Music on a google home device….

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

the original Google-Speakers works fine with Apple Music - Sonos please fix the problem!

Any update

Sonos, can you please address this issue. Recently purchased a Sonos beam2 and it’s ridiculous that I can’t group the beam with my other smart speakers as it’s not compatible with Apple Music through google yet can play Apple Music itself. Please fix this. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Here’s a workaround that works in a very limited and specific capacity using IFTTT.

Hi, 

Just to add an additional update form myside as I still try to understand the status of this. 

1. How much of this has to do with the lawsuit that Sonos just won that relates to patent infringements.  Hopefully they can play nice again.  Read more about it here:  Sonos’ Patent Win Will Change Google’s Smart Speakers—for Now | WIRED  (Public domain CM’s so don’t think any rule broken posting the outcome - it was in Sonos favour). 
  2. On my google speaker, i can use the assistant and apple music just fine (Now the bugs have been cleared out)
  3. The Google assistant appears to be working on other Sonos speakers according to another wired.com article (No i have no affiliation with then).  Though it only references this working with the Roam and Apple music via voice control. Edit: The article actual states it works with all assistants.  So is there a firmware update coming?

So perhaps it is either an apple music integration with google, through Sonos or related to the lawsuit. Or hopefully something still in the pipeline if it is working on the Sonos Roam.  Is it in the pipeline? 

Please and update!

Best,
James

Definitely sounds like a sonos incompatibility issue. Tried all combination with Google assistant/sonos with Apple Music, Pandora, and Apple Music. It only fails when set up with Apple music in google assistant as default → cannot be played on sonos. I can however play from the Apple Music app (on iphone) directly to sonos One, so it looks like a connectivity from google home to sonos

Definitely sounds like a sonos incompatibility issue. Tried all combination with Google assistant/sonos with Apple Music, Pandora, and Apple Music. It only fails when set up with Apple music in google assistant as default → cannot be played on sonos. I can however play from the Apple Music app (on iphone) directly to sonos One, so it looks like a connectivity from google home to sonos

Perhaps see this thread…

Sonos would you please provide an update? 

Sonos would you please provide an update? 

Sonos never gives updates. 

Soooo disappointing!  As others have pointed out, apple music works with other google voice activated devices, making this extra frustrating.  

Currently we are getting it to work with a (newly setup) alexa account, which will get us through I guess.  Maybe that workaround can help some others until this gets sorted out.

Rock & Roll.

This is so so bad. Please Sonos provide an update.

Sonos is there an update for this? I understand Sonos returns a not supported response only for Apple Music. there’s such a big overlap between Apple and Sonos customers! I am still on the S1 app and have held on replacing my S1-only components with new speakers because this is so damn annoying!

I see this post is a year old now. Have there been any updates to get this working or are we still getting the same marketing rubbish that “we’re working on it”? Very frustrating that I can link my apple music to all my other google devices but not through the google assistant on Sonos. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Going to add my voice to the call for this as well. Just set up an Arc system for my parents (who love it BTW) and was fairly shocked to realize that couldn’t use “Hey Google” on the Arc with their Apple Music subscription… unlike every other Google / Nest speaker I’ve set up in their house. 

Wherever the fault lies, this is a silly limitation. Please someone provide additional information / a timeline / or point us to who the right people to escalate to is. This should all ‘just work’

Sure wish this worked.  Seems pretty stupid that it doesn’t.  Works fine if I want to play on google speaker so why not sonos?