Answered

Support for Apple music with Google Assistant

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

141 replies

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

Hi Ditte,

Any update on when this fix will be deployed?

Has it been requested as a feature?

It feels like this should be a patch to the latest version of Google assistant on Sonos. Could you confirm?

Thanks

James

This might help in the time between if you have an iPhone/iPad as a workaround in the meantime. 

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/11/how-to-update-sonos-speakers-for-airplay-2-homekit/

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Apple Music is not currently available via the Google Assistant. We're always looking for ways to add new services and experiences - we'll post again as and when we have more to share.

All the best, and happy holidays,

Ditte

but the problem we have is that is shows that it is in the available music services!

Userlevel 3

Sadly they haven’t updated it or the answer for when it will be - if at all.  I returned my Sonos and will choose another option. I was looking forward to adding more because of the great sound quality, but tired of playing these compatibility games!

Hopefully this is resolved soon!

https://apple.news/AkmFsEUJJSsy4r4fqTNrDAA

Looks like Google Assistant now natively supports Apple Music. I just tried it, but it says it is not supported on the Move. Any time frame for it to be added?

Hello Ditte

it’s been over a month and need to know will there be a patch/ firmware update available to allow Google Assistant to play Apple Music subscription. 

Badge

Agree, I spent all this time setting it up and then it tells me that it’s not supported?

Update to the app today….but no update to the hardware and no change to the Apple Music problem. Come on Sonos. Please give a timeline on when you will fix this functionality.

Userlevel 3

I believe they recently announced starting their own Sonos music streaming service. I’m not expecting they’re going to allow us to use Apple through their devices anytime soon unfortunately.

Why can’t Sonos give us an estimate when this bug will be fixed?

😑

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It’s not a bug, it’s a request for a new feature.

Folks, I dumped Google Assistant and started using Alexa to play Apple Music through my Sonos Beam and it works great! If you are not married to your smart assistant, I suggest this way forward. Plus Alexa also has other cool features like intercom between rooms, etc.

Had Alexa and switched to a Google Assistant household, Nest products, etc. Now Sonos is the lagging technology.

I switch over form alexa on my arc because it wasn't working properly and now Sonos can’t even offer a simple update? SMH

Just adding another request to have this addressed and fixed. It went from being the most used device in the house for listening to now being the most frustrating. 

Adding one more here. It is so obnoxious that you can play Apple Music anywhere via Google Assistant except for Sonos. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

The fact that Apple Music on Google Assistant isn’t supported on Sonos shows us that Sonos don’t seem to care too much about their customers, at least when it comes to voice assistants.

This, and all the other problems with Google Assistant on Sonos they haven’t bother resolving after more than a year.

Folks, I dumped Google Assistant and started using Alexa to play Apple Music through my Sonos Beam and it works great! If you are not married to your smart assistant, I suggest this way forward. Plus Alexa also has other cool features like intercom between rooms, etc.

Google has the same intercom features

Can y’all just tell me you’re never going to integrate this so I can just move on with my life?

Userlevel 1

Very disappointing that Apple Music is not supported with Google Assistant on Sonos. I have been a Sonos user for a few years and a stock holder, and I don’t see a scenario where there’s a good explanation for Sonos not supporting this, or not having a public answer for this 2-3 months after the Google announcement. Sonos should at least be able to say we are or are not going to support it, we’re working on it, it will be in a future software release, or something. Right now we’re hearing crickets. This does not reflect well on Sonos. Please tell us what’s going on here behind the scenes.

I’ve spent a lot of time setting up google assistant with different devices in my home. I’m also frustrated by two issues with integration of GA in Sonos:

1. Not being able to use Apple Music as default music service when asking it to play specific songs.
  2. GA volume is excruciatingly loud. Seems like a separate GA audio volume from main volume would be appropriate.

I’ve spent a lot of time setting up google assistant with different devices in my home. I’m also frustrated by two issues with integration of GA in Sonos:

1. Not being able to use Apple Music as default music service when asking it to play specific songs.
  2. GA volume is excruciatingly loud. Seems like a separate GA audio volume from main volume would be appropriate.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I switched to Alexa and it doesn’t have these issues. We’ll see if I lose any functionality I had with GA but so far I’m happy.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

As others have mentioned previously, I don’t understand why Sonos haven’t added support for Apple Music with Google Assistant yet.

The Sonos app supports Apple Music, newer Sonos devices support AirPlay 2, and Alexa on Sonos supports Apple Music as well.

Not adding Apple Music to Google Assistant just doesn’t make any sense to me. Sonos devices lack too many features when it comes to Google Assistant as it is.

The fact that Apple Music is available on Google’s cheapest speakers (and third party ones) but we don’t get support for speakers that cost hundreds is very frustrating and disappointing.

Apple Music is currently available only on Google Nest devices, a (legal) decision made by Apple and Google.

Play Apple Music on your Google Nest speaker or display