Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2469 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I installed the latest update this afternoon and still no Music Libraries under Your Sources.  I had TV for a bit but, after resetting the app in hopes of the Libraries appearing, even that’s gone. This * show has gone on way too long.  I don’t feel that I have to become an audio engineer and stand on my head to get my Sonos equipment to work like ti used to prior to them rolling out their f’d up iOS/Android app. I don’t stream, will never stream and, I want back what I originally had.  I spent A LOT of time building my music libraries from my CD collections and online finds and now, in order to listen to it, I’ve had to reinstall S2 on my iMacs but, still no remote support via my iPhone. I’m pissed to say the slightest.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

If you get the never ending loop of stall and crash after updating the new app to the July 1 version - deleting and reinstalling will make the app work again. 

It crashed a couple of times for me but seems okay now. No need to do anything.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Still seems to take a while to populate everything.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Remind me to never develop an app that will piss off a vast number of people with the "patience” to curate and maintain a music collection with many many thousands of tracks, some of which were no doubt downloaded from Bit Torrent. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Remind me to never develop an app that will piss off a vast number of people with the "patience” to curate and maintain a music collection with many many thousands of tracks, some of which were no doubt downloaded from Bit Torrent. 

What are you going on about? People are invested in Sonos, and yes, some have spent many hours curating their local library. The app update neutered some of that (searching, quick access via alphabet list etc). and they’re rightly annoyed. Your sarcastic use of quote marks and sly dig about BitTorrent adds nothing, and is merely intended to wind people up.

Userlevel 1

Normally updates improve things, makes an app more user friendly, adding features.

not only have you removed functionality (that of course should be there) not adding any but you screwed up basically everything. we had a functioning setup in three homes, now it is a mess, constantly have to log in and tell the app which system i am on, alexa is not working, constantly have to reinstall the sonos skill. 

how is all this possible in 2024? are you totally out of your minds? are you actively trying to break the company?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I installed the latest update this afternoon and still no Music Libraries under Your Sources.  I had TV for a bit but, after resetting the app in hopes of the Libraries appearing, even that’s gone. This * show has gone on way too long.  I don’t feel that I have to become an audio engineer and stand on my head to get my Sonos equipment to work like ti used to prior to them rolling out their f’d up iOS/Android app. I don’t stream, will never stream and, I want back what I originally had.  I spent A LOT of time building my music libraries from my CD collections and online finds and now, in order to listen to it, I’ve had to reinstall S2 on my iMacs but, still no remote support via my iPhone. I’m pissed to say the slightest.

You don’t need to be an engineer (or any kind of tech professional) but if not already familiar with how to do it you do now need to gain a bit of an understanding of how to share folders on a network. Which method have you been using to connect the desktop app to your music folder? The desktop app has 3 options for doing this, but only one of the options (“networked device”) is now supported (and that won’t change in the future). If your music is stored on your Mac, you need to share your music folder to the network and then add the network share as a “networked device”. Sonos now describe this process in a support article: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You don’t need to be an engineer (or any kind of tech professional) but if not already familiar with how to do it you do now need to gain a bit of an understanding of how to share folders on a network. Which method have you been using to connect the desktop app to your music folder? The desktop app has 3 options for doing this, but only one of the options (“networked device”) is now supported (and that won’t change in the future). If your music is stored on your Mac, you need to share your music folder to the network and then add the network share as a “networked device”. Sonos now describe this process in a support article: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Been there - done that and done exactly as described in the link with no success (iMac using macOS Sonoma v14.5, Sonos Play 1, Mac and Sonos all updated, still unable to update music library).

The fact that Sonos had to provide instructions on how to access the local library when previously it was just a click and play operation goes to how they’ve made using Sonos even more difficult. I can’t be the only Mac user who has followed their instructions and still can’t update/index their local music library. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I installed the latest update this afternoon and still no Music Libraries under Your Sources.  I had TV for a bit but, after resetting the app in hopes of the Libraries appearing, even that’s gone.

A minor point - ‘TV’ will only appear under Your Sources when the room/speaker selected contains the soundbar. If you select any of your other rooms/speakers, TV will not be there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Been there - done that and done exactly as described in the link with no success (iMac using macOS Sonoma v14.5, Sonos Play 1, Mac and Sonos all updated, still unable to update music library).

The fact that Sonos had to provide instructions on how to access the local library when previously it was just a click and play operation goes to how they’ve made using Sonos even more difficult. I can’t be the only Mac user who has followed their instructions and still can’t update/index their local music library. 

At which point does it fail for you? Does it accept the network path, username and password and then fail during indexing? Or don’t you even get that far?

I saw a thread a few days ago in which someone who claimed it wasn’t working eventually realised they were simply entering the wrong username when trying to connect to the shared folder.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

At which point does it fail for you? Does it accept the network path, username and password and then fail during indexing? Or don’t you even get that far?

I saw a thread a few days ago in which someone who claimed it wasn’t working eventually realised they were simply entering the wrong username when trying to connect to the shared folder.

osm . . . 

Good questions. It comes to a screeching halt after two seconds (I actually timed it) into the indexing process. It seems to accept the network path, username and password and gives me a confirmation telling me it may take some time to load the library. But no library ever loads and when I try to “Update Music Library Now” it stops indexing and again - no music.

To me, the next step would be to power off all the speakers, power off the router and reboot it, power on the speakers and try to update the music library yet again . . . but I’m open to persuasion as Joan Armatrading would say.

Just now . . .

Tried rebooting router and speakers. No joy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

FYI: I never downloaded ONE thing from Bit Torrent. If that’s your attempt at sarcasm, you can shove it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

osm… Thanks for the post. Yes, I’ve gone through each link that pops up and, selecting “Network Device” is one such method that I’ve employed.  I’ve even tried placing a temporary library on the internal drive of my iMac in an attempt to avoid the dreaded NAS/HTTP boogie man. Still no luck.  Have I tried updating firmware on my speakers. Heck no. Not until I can be assured it won’t screw something else up that currently works.  What works? Playing audio from the S2 controller on my iMacs and, getting home theater sound through my TV (which is hardwired directly into my Playbar).

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

osm . . . 

Good questions. It comes to a screeching halt after two seconds (I actually timed it) into the indexing process. It seems to accept the network path, username and password and gives me a confirmation telling me it may take some time to load the library. But no library ever loads and when I try to “Update Music Library Now” it stops indexing and again - no music.

To me, the next step would be to power off all the speakers, power off the router and reboot it, power on the speakers and try to update the music library yet again . . . but I’m open to persuasion as Joan Armatrading would say.

Just now . . .

Tried rebooting router and speakers. No joy.

If its accepting your path, username and password I think it means you have setup your network share correctly. There must be some other issue which is causing indexing to fail. Someone else had a similar issue a few days ago after switching to the new method of library connection (which may or may not have same cause as your issue). In their case they felt it was related to the cumulative length of metadata in their (large) library. They figured out a hacky way to “resolve” their issue.   

But I’d get in touch with Sonos support if I were you. Such hacky solutions shouldn’t be needed.

It’s awful 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

osm… Thanks for the post. Yes, I’ve gone through each link that pops up and, selecting “Network Device” is one such method that I’ve employed.  I’ve even tried placing a temporary library on the internal drive of my iMac in an attempt to avoid the dreaded NAS/HTTP boogie man. Still no luck.  Have I tried updating firmware on my speakers. Heck no. Not until I can be assured it won’t screw something else up that currently works.  What works? Playing audio from the S2 controller on my iMacs and, getting home theater sound through my TV (which is hardwired directly into my Playbar).

I don't quite follow what you mean by the bit in bold. I was assuming your library is already on your internal hard drive, but based on the above I guess not. Where is it normally located and which of the 3 options in the app did you use in the past to connect it to your system?

When you try to connect using the networked device option does it accept your username and password?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I don't quite follow what you mean by the bit in bold. I was assuming your library is already on your internal hard drive, but based on the above I guess not. Where is it normally located and which of the 3 options in the app did you use in the past to connect it to your system?

When you try to connect using the networked device option does it accept your username and password?

Hello, osm… I can see how what I wrote might be confusing.  Remember the May 2nd email indicating that Sonos would no longer support SMBv1 / HTTP library locations? Well, unbeknownst to me, my lowly SSD USB drives fall under that category.  By placing a temporary Music LIbrary on the internal drive of my iMac - and adding said Library using the S2 app’s Preferences - in my simple mind I was trying to see if moving ALL of my music onto my internal drive(s) would fix my problems. Currently, my Music Libraries do not appear under Your Sources on the new iOS app.  I even tried manually inputting the network path (using a Sonos link that I found in the Forum here) and, even though all went well doing that, my Libraries still wouldn’t shot up.  I “can” play music but have to used the S2 desktop controller.  Thanks very much for requesting clarification, osm.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

So is this latest update - worse? Hard to believe that it could be but I have to ask. I am running 80.03.07 currently which is horrible but I am over writing and complaining about it. I use my laptop or the sonophone app most of the time. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

So is this latest update - worse? Hard to believe that it could be but I have to ask. I am running 80.03.07 currently which is horrible but I am over writing and complaining about it. I use my laptop or the sonophone app most of the time. 

Derrick…. How is the Sonophone app?? I’ve been researching it. Where do you store your Music Libraries? On the laptop? External drives? Or, are you streaming only? My Libraries are on SSD USB drives. Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I typically only submit reviews that are positive. However, the experience and situation with the new app has forced me to make an exception with some brief commentary to at least release some of the tremendous frustration that has been forced on myself and really the entire Sonos user community. How and why was the new app released when it was? The fact that it was just screams at least a complete procedural breakdown, and at worst total incompetence from the top down. First, it is clear from the feedback that the app was not designed with user input, thus all the commentary on features and usability lost or no longer available. Second, and most importantly, it is also clear that proper and thorough staged testing was not carried out. Even if rudimentary testing had been completed, with actual users participating, fundamental issues with SIMPLE navigation such as changing song selections, song names not advancing to the next song, challenges grouping zones, etc. would have been easily discovered and fixed before the full app rollout. To date, I have yet to find a single feature in the new app that strikes me as an improvement, only unnecessary changes. Overall, I will just never understand how a company that has always been so on point with its products and support managed to allow this complete debacle to occur.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Are you SONOS guys doing anything to make our lives more bearable? I feel like someone stole my entire Sonos system for the past year - I am literally living without music now

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Are you SONOS guys doing anything to make our lives more bearable? I feel like someone stole my entire Sonos system for the past year - I am literally living without music now

The past year? If you were you having issues in the ten months prior to the app update, then it is surely more likely to have been an issue with your network/wifi?

Userlevel 4
Badge

The past year? If you were you having issues in the ten months prior to the app update, then it is surely more likely to have been an issue with your network/wifi?

In a matter of speaking. A month of fighting with your sound system is fine, but by now it’s starting to really become a long time and an outrage for such an expensive setup. like now trueplay finally works but no opportunity to enjoy it, as most speakers drop out all the time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hello, osm… I can see how what I wrote might be confusing.  Remember the May 2nd email indicating that Sonos would no longer support SMBv1 / HTTP library locations? Well, unbeknownst to me, my lowly SSD USB drives fall under that category.  By placing a temporary Music LIbrary on the internal drive of my iMac - and adding said Library using the S2 app’s Preferences - in my simple mind I was trying to see if moving ALL of my music onto my internal drive(s) would fix my problems. Currently, my Music Libraries do not appear under Your Sources on the new iOS app.  I even tried manually inputting the network path (using a Sonos link that I found in the Forum here) and, even though all went well doing that, my Libraries still wouldn’t shot up.  I “can” play music but have to used the S2 desktop controller.  Thanks very much for requesting clarification, osm.

When you say USB drive, do you mean a USB drive connected directly to a USB port on the Mac, or do you mean a USB drive connected to a USB port on your router?

In the desktop app when you go to manage > music library settings > folders, what does the existing path actually look like? If there are any terms in the path you want to keep private on here (such as a username), just replace with a similar word in same format.  

I just wanted to rehighlight the issue of not being able to end a session. That itself is key functionality, and not having it provides a poor user experience, but I found this morning that it also kind of breaks my entire Sonos system if I’m trying to play from Pandora.

Last night, I was playing a Pandora station from the Sonos app on speakers A and B. This morning, I wanted to start a new session from Pandora (that is, a different radio station from the same provider) on speaker C. There’s no way to do this anymore, because the end session functionality is gone and I can’t play two different Pandora stations on different speakers, unless I have more than one Pandora account. 

Eventually, I found that I had to actually disconnect my Pandora service from the Sonos app, uninstall the Sonos app, and start all over again. Very frustrating, as I’m sure you understand.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to collate the feedback, and I know that you all are obviously not the ones working on these ill-managed app changes. But, since you are managing the feedback, I do want to bring up (and I hope you’ll pass along) that this is what convinced me to disable auto-update for apps on my iPhone. I’m sure there will be subsequent Sonos app updates, and I do hope they come soon haha, but because I can no longer trust the development team to maintain the integrity of the app, I will be delaying the install of those updates for several weeks to months until feedback from braver souls starts rolling in here, and on Reddit. I just want to make sure that I offer that perspective; the less time that the team puts in to making a final product that’s worth our time (and the money we spend on this very expensive hardware 😅), the more of their own time they will waste, because users will stop adopting the app versions if they can reasonably assume that the updates will be bad. It’s a shame all around, and I hope the engineering and/or product managers responsible for pushing this incomplete release are aware of the impact.