Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2445 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Bring back the widget 

Why does the new app take so long (1-2 minutes) to find the devices on your system?

Why does it lag so badly when trying to switch to a new playlist? e.g. press shuffle favourite tracks,
nothing happens so you press it again, still nothing so try again. Finally, the music switches but then over the course of the next five minutes, the playlist restarts again, and again, and again.

Why do tracks abrubtly end, seconds short of the end of the track as if it was a badly conceived crossfade, when crossfade is turned off?

As many have commented, the new sonos app is ruining what was always an exceptional audio experience.

I can maybe reduce the mean-average a little here. I reckon it takes 7, or 8, seconds to open the new Sonos App (iPhone) on my home WiFi network. That’s with 25 Sonos players in 10+ Sonos rooms with 18 music services installed including a local NAS library.

The home network is WiFi-6 and the ISP connection is 100MB u/l and and 1GB d/l. It takes seconds to also conduct a search across the music service too on my other iPad controller. I’ve attached a couple of things just to show you that’s the case. If it’s taking 1 or 2 minutes that sounds like someone is using a 9,600 baud modem from the early 1990’s perhaps 🤔 ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If it’s taking 1 or 2 minutes that sounds like someone is using a 9,600 baud modem from the early 1990’s perhaps 🤔 ?

I assume it's the same modem that worked perfectly in the previous App.

Maybe the amazing amount of users with similar issues all have the same modem…

If it’s taking 1 or 2 minutes that sounds like someone is using a 9,600 baud modem from the early 1990’s perhaps 🤔 ?

I assume it's the same modem that worked perfectly in the previous App.

Maybe the amazing amount of users with similar issues all have the same modem…

Did they run a comparison then?- I find the S2 App was indeed slightly quicker in some areas, but the new App here opens faster than the previous S2 App …and it displays more on the new Home Screen too. I just can’t imagine why it would ever take as long as one or two minutes for the App to open - do you find it takes that long then @sjw?

Why does the new app take so long (1-2 minutes) to find the devices on your system?

Why does it lag so badly when trying to switch to a new playlist? e.g. press shuffle favourite tracks,
nothing happens so you press it again, still nothing so try again. Finally, the music switches but then over the course of the next five minutes, the playlist restarts again, and again, and again.

Why do tracks abrubtly end, seconds short of the end of the track as if it was a badly conceived crossfade, when crossfade is turned off?

As many have commented, the new sonos app is ruining what was always an exceptional audio experience.

I can maybe reduce the mean-average a little here. I reckon it takes 7, or 8, seconds to open the new Sonos App (iPhone) on my home WiFi network. That’s with 25 Sonos players in 10+ Sonos rooms with 18 music services installed including a local NAS library.

The home network is WiFi-6 and the ISP connection is 100MB u/l and and 1GB d/l. It takes seconds to also conduct a search across the music service too on my other iPad controller. I’ve attached a couple of things just to show you that’s the case. If it’s taking 1 or 2 minutes that sounds like someone is using a 9,600 baud modem from the early 1990’s perhaps 🤔 ?

I also have WiFi 6 although at 500 MB dl/70 MB ul. A smaller set up of 5 devices in three rooms. The internet service is not the limiting factor. The S2 app, pre-update was seemless, could close and open the app multiple times a day and pick up where you left off, albeit with occasional (months between occurrence) hangs. Post-update, this is not the case. It is not what us expected, nor close to what was provided previously. Pretty poor to try and devalue someone else's experience based on your fortuitous circumstances of being in the low percentile of enjoying the uodated app

The new app makes the whole Sonos experience diabolical.  I really wish I had not bought Sonos products and would never dream of recommending Sonos.  

The app rarely works, the line in never appears ans Sonos do not seem to be doing anything about this.

Dreadful customer service.

Dreadful customer service.

Yup try to call in for support and you will wait 1-2 hours. But a little trick, if you tell them you are having a problem with Ace headphones they will get to you much quicker or so I hear. 

Moderator edit: This is not the case!

I also have WiFi 6 although at 500 MB dl/70 MB ul. A smaller set up of 5 devices in three rooms. The internet service is not the limiting factor. The S2 app, pre-update was seemless, could close and open the app multiple times a day and pick up where you left off, albeit with occasional (months between occurrence) hangs. Post-update, this is not the case. It is not what is expected, nor close to what was provided previously. Pretty poor to try and devalue someone else's experience based on your fortuitous circumstances of being in the low percentile of enjoying the uodated app

I will assume it’s not taking as long as 1 or 2 minutes to open your App here, or is that the case?

Anyhow, It may help if you perhaps check your device SNR levels and get them all above 45dB (if relevant) also if/where practicable steer your products onto the faster 5Ghz band - see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

If all else fails, or the delay is say exceeding 10 seconds, then maybe leave the App backgrounded - In that case there is often near ‘zero’ delay to open the App ...as seen here with my iPad controller (attached).

Apple actually recommend this approach, as it’s apparently better to let the iOS/iPadOS manage things in memory, rather than closing them. It saves on battery life apparently. See HERE.

All of your experiences suggest a duplicate IP address issue.

Try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Wait a couple of minutes before plugging back in your Sonos devices. Give them a couple of minutes to reboot as well, and then test.

If you’re still having issues, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I still can't add to queue so. So lame.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Did they run a comparison then?- I find the S2 App was indeed slightly quicker in some areas, but the new App here opens faster than the previous S2 App …and it displays more on the new Home Screen too. I just can’t imagine why it would ever take as long as one or two minutes for the App to open?

I think they contracted some cheap Indian developer team and gave them a general specification of what they wanted, those cheap teams really needs a lot of hand holding, they only do what is exactly written, scope out everything else. The instruction you need to give may sometimes be as much as much as the code you want, so that they can just copy paste it.
There are good team in India too, but those tend to cost as much as Western European and US teams. At least this is my experience, you get exactly what you pay for, if you pay little you will get ill skilled team and a poor product as result and no Quality assurance team to check the functionality.

As the CEO did invest so much of his internal reputation on this new app, he don’t want to loose face and those can’t admit that it’s crap and scrap it.

Regarding the network issues, Ubiquiti warns against having some Sonos devices with wired connection and others with wifi, this seems to give poor connectivity between Sonos devices in some networks, so if you have a mixed setup, then maybe better to test either only wifi or lan and see if it helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

It's the architecture they have chosen to impose. The new app is built on web architecture that now polls for web services for all the functions that the app uses so the random factor out of control of any user/customer are the cloud servers wherever they may be and whatever route it takes to get them. This was not the case with the old app because you had an executable that sat on your device and communicated directly with your WiFi. Ignore the "I'm alright Jacks" on here who will just throw a load of barely understood TLAs at you and constantly state "it's fine here" as if facts emerge from their squalid bedrooms. 

Badge

Sonos, you have created a right old mess with your new app.  By doing so, you have disrupted the listening pleasure of those around the world that love your products the most.  Shame on you!

My main use is playing music from ‘my library’ which is now working again, thanks to this community’s expertise with sharing permissions.

I prefer listening to custom URL radio stations.  However, custom URL’s are now missing in the new app.

I have access to Sonos systems in two properties where the new app has problems finding one or the other each time I switch.

Because of the new TuneIn service, I registered with TuneIn & downloaded their Android app.  In the TuneIn app, I created two ‘searched for’ radio stations and two custom url radio stations.  All four were then added to favourites in the TuneIn app.  When I switch back to Sonos Android app or Windows desktop, the two searched for stations are displayed but the custom url ones are missing so I am unable to add to them to Sonos favourites.  Separately, the TuneIn app, rename custom url station, does not work.  The TuneIn app is just as shoddy as Sonos.

As a result, I have uninstalled Sonos v80.03.03 and reinstalled v16.1 on Android.  Re-added the old TuneIn service (for custom URL’s) which for now, is not being continually removed by Sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Today I tried to group a pair of Play:1s (which I’m sure I’ve done before with the new app) but the app won’t do it stating ‘Unable to connect, Try again later.’ which I’ve done multple times.

I finally tried reinstalling the app but now I can’t even Sign in! I enter the email and password and it seems to be accepted as I’m taken back to the app only to be presented with the ‘Sign in as the System Owner to see content’!

How have they made the new app even worse that it already was.

I had an Era 100 in my system a few weeks ago and the app launch was much more responsive, most notably My Library appearing, so maybe there’s some compatibillty/performance problems with the older products.

I'm exoeriencing a lot of the same issues here, plus alarms that revert to the sonos chime seemingly at random. I can’t help but laugh at all this gabage Sonos has created.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

LATEST SONOS APP UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE - 80.04.04 iOS (not sure of Android number)

New app features. Bug fixes and improved performance.

Improved accessibility for configuring alarms with VoiceOver

Added timezone settings

Added the option to forget a system in order to connect or create a new system

Added multi-product setup for professional installers

Improved support for older iPad models

Improved control for Home Theatre swap with Sonos Ace.

No firmware update it seems. 

Don’t shoot the messenger….

LATEST SONOS APP UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE - 80.04.04 iOS (not sure of Android number)

Added timezone settings

Not seeing it here yet - nor in the release notes? Must still be being rolled out.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-software-updates

Userlevel 2
Badge

Added timezone settings

Just installed it. It does seem to load things faster, finally!

So even though they are working on things, and some features will come back eventually, I'm still missing custom URL radiostations from the roadmap found here.

I don't understand why that's not listed. I don't care if would be TBD or 2025 or whatever, but at least let us know that it will come back in the near future.

For now I'm using the desktop app and SonoPhone on mobile to access my custom URL's.

If you get the never ending loop of stall and crash after updating the new app to the July 1 version - deleting and reinstalling will make the app work again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Bumper 

What device do you use? I’m always interested to try to determine patterns in where issues are occurring, in case others on the same device have the same issues (and in case those issues help pinpoint the cause).

iOS iPhone 14 Pro. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

iOS iPhone 14 Pro. 

Interesting. I use an iPhone 14 Plus. And yet I don’t have the same issues. Okay, doesn’t make sense… Forget that pattern.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Can I just be the first to say - STILL no local library searching. On a positive note the app definitely seems to be quicker so if it also sorts some connection issues (which I have been lucky enough to avoid) then all the better.

Local library searching, however, is a major issue for many people here. 

I still can't get my new sonos amp to work as a surround amp, it worked fine before this new app fiasco tried everything.

I have been frustrated for a number of weeks but this Canada Day long weekend that frustration boiled over. The new app made playing and changing songs as well as controlling the volume of songs impossible for our Canada Day party. I went back to using a cheap Bluetooth speaker that we have and at least we had music and volume which could be modified. 

I don't need the Sonos app to do much.  The previous version was just fine. Now, the new version has lagging issues and refresh rates that are not acceptable. This experience has really degraded the ease, enjoyment and accessibility of my Sonos speakers for my whole family. I don't think I would recommend your hardware based on this flawed software and the Sonos roam I was going to purchase for my son is now on indefinite hold while I look for a suitable replacement. 

I only want the app to be responsive as the previous version. A huge bonus would be to have a setting where "my system" could be the starting page. I don't need Sonos to be my music library or radio or playlist curator. JUST GIVE ME ACCESS TO MY SPEAKERS WHEN I WANT IT!