Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2548 replies

And what’s the implication?

Apologies if you have enjoyed every last page of this. I got to the end and found the narrative quite derivative. 

lol it’s rather boring tbh. The concern over repeat posts and complaints is pretty funny though tbh. 😂

omg I did it😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Apologies if you have enjoyed every last page of this. I got to the end and found the narrative quite derivative. 

(What I meant was the same questions were repeated time and again, I don’t care who posted them.)

Keep going mate you’re nearly there 100! 🥸

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

lol it’s rather boring tbh. The concern over repeat posts and complaints is pretty funny though tbh. 😂

YAY!!! You’ve won the internet and a lifetime’s supply of Sonos speakers by being the first post of page 100!! Congrats!! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yay @Bumper ftw 🎂🍺🎉🥳

Userlevel 1
Badge

@RB500 Local libraries have been supported by the new app since it was released, but some of the older connection methods have been dropped (and are not coming back). If you describe your setup someone may be able to point you in the right direction to get your library working again: where is your library stored, how did you previously connect it (there used to be 3 different methods), and what version of Sonos system firmware are you running? 

Speakers are a mixture of gen 2 and 3 products I believe running latest firmware, Mac Mini M1 hosting itunes library. Library was connected via the Mac OS app with nightly updates. Aware SMB1 is no longer supported. The mac is app still has the menu options to add the music folder in legacy approach, this errors on setup. The work around doesn’t include playlists or have a search function - short of scrolling through thousands of artists.

I’d welcome the solution. They removed functionality that I used, hoping for its return however that is achieved.

Speakers are a mixture of gen 2 and 3 products I believe running latest firmware, Mac Mini M1 hosting itunes library. Library was connected via the Mac OS app with nightly updates. Aware SMB1 is no longer supported. The mac is app still has the menu options to add the music folder in legacy approach, this errors on setup. The work around doesn’t include playlists or have a search function - short of scrolling through thousands of artists.

I’d welcome the solution. They removed functionality that I used, hoping for its return however that is achieved.

Local music library search, create, and edit is scheduled to return this month (which doesn’t mean a guarantee):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 1
Badge

Local music library search, create, and edit is scheduled to return this month (which doesn’t mean a guarantee):

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Thankyou.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@RB500 Local libraries have been supported by the new app since it was released, but some of the older connection methods have been dropped (and are not coming back). If you describe your setup someone may be able to point you in the right direction to get your library working again: where is your library stored, how did you previously connect it (there used to be 3 different methods), and what version of Sonos system firmware are you running? 

As noted by jgatie, library search and playlists are yet to be added to the new mobile app. But it is currently be possible to connect library to system (via desktop app) and have access to that library from the new mobile app. 

The error happens when trying to connect using one of the now unsupported methods: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share  

As noted in the link you need to setup a network share of your music folder and connect that to the system. It’s not a workaround; its the officially supported method going forward as its the only one that will be possible to manage (via mobile app) when the desktop app gets deprecated in the near future.

It sounds like you may have already tried adding a network share and then it disconnected itself. But have you followed the instructions at the official support link above (rather than some other instructions you found on the community which might be slightly different)?

Userlevel 1
Badge

As noted by jgatie, library search and playlists are yet to be added to the new mobile app. But it is currently be possible to connect library to system (via desktop app) and have access to that library from the new mobile app. 

The error happens when trying to connect using one of the now unsupported methods: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share  

As noted in the link you need to setup a network share of your music folder and connect that to the system. It’s not a workaround; its the officially supported method going forward as its the only one that will be possible to manage (via mobile app) when the desktop app gets deprecated in the near future.

It sounds like you may have already tried adding a network share and then it disconnected itself. But have you followed the instructions at the official support link above (rather than some other instructions you found on the community which might be slightly different)?

I appreciate the follow up. The article are the steps I had followed. After the recent patch update, the library dropped from configuration, almost like a reset. I’ll keep trying.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I reverted to the older working Android app and in a combination of using the old app and my Mac desktop app I have retained full searching, playlists on my network share and … a connection that … well … stays connected.

Today I went to a second location where I also have Sonos and there is no way to get the Android app or Mac app to connect without updating.  As I can’t update or I’ll lose a working system on my main network share, I guess this will be a weekend with no music.  Lucking the Arc still works with the TV outside the app.  Wait … the Spotify app connects without any issues. I guess it’s use Spotify here or give up on proper local library support at home.

Quite frankly I’m somewhat disgusted.  I know I’m supposed to be patient but we’re into July now.

I’ve just read that the desktop apps are to be deprecated. I guess this will be done before the mobile app is made whole.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’ve just read that the desktop apps are to be deprecated. I guess this will be done before the mobile app is made whole.

Hi @barry2, I am also un-keen on the desktops app being deprecated. You do have a high degree of control over exactly when this happens to your system, as it will require a firmware upgrade.

In the meantime, here are three steps you can take:

• Turn off automatic system updates, and confirm this in setting each mobile/desktop app
  • Download and archive the v16.1 Android App (.apk file)
  • Download and archive the Windows/Mac Desktop App
Userlevel 4
Badge

That's the setup I have. It works great at home. However today I'm in a different location and neither the Android or Mac app can connect ... Unless I update which I will not do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I am not an expert user. My needs are simple

The most basic and simple requirements are no longer intuitive. I still havent figured out how to repeatably select different feeds for different speakers. Come on guys..make it simple to use. I shouldn't have to read a manual or watch a u tube video for simple stuff.

I do understand that  many many people have been beset with issues, bugs and the like.  I’m not so sure I buy into the argument that the app is in any way unintuitive.  It’s different in the layout to the prior app but it took me all of 5 minutes to figure it all out. 
Slide up from the bottom and select the room / zone to be the ‘active’ speaker.  Then select your source.  Maybe I’m missing something here but I don’t know how it could be any easier.  Really, I don’t. 

That’s one of the mistakes Sonos made introducing the new app - not providing a “before” and “ after” a few weeks before the release of the new app.

For example. To many people the thingy that’s occupying the lower part of the screen looks like a button - it has the rounded edges that usually come with a button. Tapping it, like you do with a button, brings you to the grouping menu. The fact the thingy that looks like a button is also a menu you can access by sliding it up, took me three days to find - when I noticed there’s a fine grey line that could be indicating you can swipe it up. Others might never find this. Is it these people, the app, or Sonos not explaining this?

To me this is an example of Sonos not understanding their classic user base - well off people not wanting to put in much time to listen to music with their coffee. It is not that Sonos should not have changed the GUI, it is the way they implemented the change.

The fact that the new app almost exactly coincided with Sonos stopping two of the three methods to listen to your own music is another example. By timing this Sonos has confused people to attribute the fact they could not access their music anymore to the new app, instead of the new Sonos policy to not use SMBv1 or http access anymore. Yes this step was probably long overdue, but did they have to do it now?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I appreciate the follow up. The article are the steps I had followed. After the recent patch update, the library dropped from configuration, almost like a reset. I’ll keep trying.

After the library dropped, have you been able to reconnect it or can’t you even get past the connection stage anymore? If you can reconnect but it then just keeps dropping periodically (perhaps overnight) do you have scheduled library updates enabled? If yes, perhaps try disabling that and see if it then stays connected.

If it turns out to be related to scheduled updates, I have seen some people with NAS-based libraries “fix” their scheduled updates issue (enabling them to continue using scheduled updates) by disabling SMB1 on their NAS. It turned out for these people it wasn’t enough to just enable SMB2. They also needed to disable SMB1 to achieve stability. I don’t have a Mac so I don’t know if its even possible to have SMB1 enabled on a modern Mac. But what I would probably do is to try disabling “Windows File Sharing” within the Mac SMB settings. I don’t really know what the Windows File Sharing option achieves on a Mac but I guess it might be enabling legacy SMB support (i.e. SMB1) so might be worth a try with it disabled.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

New update.. New issues.. Now deezer connection is broken

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

There’s only room for a certain number of things to work correctly. For one thing to be fixed, another has to go. 
No, I don’t mean that. I feel for the coders charged with sorting this all out…

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Well, it’s 6 July 2024, I’m running Sonos version 16.2 build 79.1-54060 reported as up-to-date, and the system is still broken. 

i can’t access My Library at all. And startup of My System (all the players) is shaky. 

Nothing good to say about Sonos. Increasingly concerned Sonos won’t pull out of this mess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Well, it’s 6 July 2024, I’m running Sonos version 16.2 build 79.1-54060 reported as up-to-date, and the system is still broken. 

i can’t access My Library at all. And startup of My System (all the players) is shaky. 

Nothing good to say about Sonos. Increasingly concerned Sonos won’t pull out of this mess.

Have you followed the much-posted solution for accessing your library?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Yep. FWIW, OS X and Windows apps work fine. NAS runs modern protocols. The new IOS app is trash. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Yep let's use the desktop app (which is going away) and the mobile app, or install previous builds and do anything but simply listen to our music. 

The beauty of Sonos WAS that I could easily listen to any song in my collection with relative ease. If I pulled out a CD player and a few thousand CDs it might be easier to do it than in the current state of affairs.

Now in all the interviews I'm reading that "a few users are having issues".  I guess I'm not terribly lucky to be one of the few.

As already said,  it's July 6!!!!! When can we expect to get back to listening to music without reading dozens of forum posts every day hoping for the best.

Hey Sonos you have working code. Surely your devs can access the working code base to figure out what to do.

I do not need the Sonos app to listen to Spotify. I want back the more or less seamless access to my own library.

Yep. FWIW, OS X and Windows apps work fine. NAS runs modern protocols. The new IOS app is trash. 

My iOS Sonos Apps (iPad and iPhone) are each working just fine…  my local library is working well here too. I’ve attached some screen-capture recordings just to show that’s the case.

I’ve no idea why the same App and the NAS library is working here for me on my Home WiFi, unless something is ‘perhaps’ not configured correctly on your iOS device, but I’ve not seen any problems at all. It might be worth you speaking with Sonos support about the matter. Here is their link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Hopefully the screen captures and video provides them with some help in fixing their problem. 

If not  they could try SonoPhone, an app that isn’t a buggy POS and may actually work for them. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My iOS Sonos Apps (iPad and iPhone) are each working just fine…  my local library is working well here too. I’ve attached some screen-capture recordings just to show that’s the case.

I’ve no idea why the same App and the NAS library is working here for me on my Home WiFi, unless something is ‘perhaps’ not configured correctly on your iOS device, but I’ve not seen any problems at all. It might be worth you speaking with Sonos support about the matter. Here is their link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I see how, on your screen, My Library shows up.  On mine, nothing. 

I appreciate your providing your results.  If you wouldn’t mind, could you provide your current version and build of Sonos?  Also, what are your players?  Speakers?  Ports?  How new?

Thanks again.

I have the latest App (the build number is attached, save me writing it out) I have 25 Sonos products so forgive me if I don’t list every one of them but my oldest players are Sonos One SL’s and Move (gen1) - the newest is a Roam 2. I have 4 x Home Theatres.

• Arc with Era 300’s & Sub
  • Arc with Fives & Sub
  • Beam Gen1 with Ones & Sub Mini
  • Beam Gen 2 with Era-100 & Sub
  • Move 2 x 2 
  • Move 1 

…and some others - I have recently added an Ace to the setup aswell.

i do also have a small S1 Sonos system too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have the latest App (the build number is attached, save me writing it out) I have 25 Sonos products so forgive me if I don’t list every one of them but my oldest players are Sonos One SL’s and Move (gen1) - the newest is a Roam 2. I have 4 x Home Theatres.

• Arc with Era 300’s & Sub
  • Arc with Fives & Sub
  • Beam Gen1 with Ones & Sub Mini
  • Beam Gen 2 with Era-100 & Sub
  • Move 2 x 2 
  • Move 1 

…and some others - I have recently added an Ace to the setup aswell.

i do also have a small S1 Sonos system too.

Thanks for responding.  Your build is the SAME as mine.  … Are you using IOS devices or Android?  My devices are perhaps older than yours: A Play 5 (2nd edition), 5 or 6 ports, a Sonos amp.  All ran fine under prior app.