Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2383 replies

Badge

The app will not play the song that I have selected, but some other random song from a like musical artist.

I’ve literally lost control over what I want to hear.

The app will not play the song that I have selected, but some other random song from a like musical artist.

I’ve literally lost control over what I want to hear.

I’m sorry to laugh at this but that is so crazy that it’s actually funny. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos. You’ve forced this his new app upon me and it’s absolutely trash. It’s doesn’t respond. I was so happy with the previous version. What on earth are you playing at. You’ve shown yourself to be a bunch of amateurs.

Userlevel 3
Badge

So many damn bugs, and it will not load the update on my iMac so I can’t use it there any longer, and that was where I used it most.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I would be sacked from my job for making such a massive **** up. Is the CEO going to stand down or pass the buck.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Will the questions from last weeks AMA that have not been answered during the event be answered in the near future? At least the ones with a reasonable number of likes?

Userlevel 3
Badge

They spend millions on producing new products such as this weeks headphones but nothing it seems on simple bug fixes. Releasing this app must be one of the worst decisions a CEO has over seen outside of the post office.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks a lot for this feedback. It is actually the first time I see Local Music Library searching explicitely refered to by the various communications by Sonos. If I may advise something, it would be very worthwhile to have an official communication from Sonos on this matter outside of this forum - as you said, this thread can be easily lost among all the others… even if it is sticky.

I don’t subscribe to Spotify or any other streaming services, as I have a massive music library on my MacBook, which is where we control Sonos from (so it should be simple), yet Sonos has deleted the pathways to iTunes and My Music, using only the NAS as a library. Unfortunately all of my recent purchases are in iTunes! 
Another, even more frustrating issue is the inability to control speakers independently! If I have the TV on, using the Sonos Beam or Sound Bar, then I can’t play music in any other room, as it switches the sound off on the TVs. I am using Airplay as luckily a couple of my products have that function, but I have several older speakers that worked perfectly until this latest update. I am so angry and would advise anyone who asked to avoid Sonos now. We have spent thousands, kitting out the whole house, garden room, workshop, TVs, bedrooms etc. This is not acceptable. I just hope that they fix this. One more thing is that we should not be ‘forced’ to do the updates. If we are happy with the functionality and accept any risks, we should be permitted to stay on the version of the App that suits us. Maybe this is possible and I have just had everything on auto updates, but I know that the system refused to play unless I updated, so I would say that is ‘forced’.

Key points:

I want access to my local music libraries and playlists

I want to be able to control speakers independently, as advised in the sales literature

I want to stay on an old app version, that works as I need it to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Key points:

I want access to my local music libraries and playlists

I want to be able to control speakers independently, as advised in the sales literature

I want to stay on an old app version, that works as I need it to.

1. Of course. It's a bloody shame Sonos is messing up this big.
  2. Of course. It's a bloody shame Sonos is messing up this big.
  3. You should. But Sonos (in it's infinite wisdom) has decided no.
Userlevel 3
Badge

They spend millions on producing new products such as this weeks headphones but nothing it seems on simple bug fixes. Releasing this app must be one of the worst decisions a CEO has over seen outside of the post office.

Note that when you first open the new app, you get an ad for more SONOS equipment. Nope. Never!

Badge

Much better than the old app! At last i get rid of "search for your system" /"could not find your system" . Now it works like it should, Thanks Sonos!🙂

Userlevel 1

Why can you not revert back to the older version so that you can re-develop the new version internally and is fully tested to still have all the features we had in S2.  There’s now >50 pages of complaints about this new app product.  Sure there are a few that haven’t complained but you should get the hint after 54 pages of issues and feedback that this release was a failure and should be removed from distribution. 

As previous comment stated, we as customers are not here to test your products - we’re not developers nor can we file bugs… 

So again please revert to previous version asap!  My clients that I support with Sonos app are now furious they cannot find /use the product like it used to be.  

Thank you

Joostvh

Userlevel 3
Badge

Totally unprofessional Sonos. Im furious.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

I'm a long, long, long time Sonos customer. I have 9 devices on S2 and 2 on S1.  I have always been a Sonos evangelist and defended its app and system. This fiasco with the new app has changed that Unfortunately, I feel like I'm so entrenched in the Sonos ecosystem there is nothing I can do.

I cut my teeth as an application developer, and grew into management roles, including CIO. I know the realities of technology and system integration. It can be daunting.

That said, I can find no excuse for how this new app was rolled out, the lack of QA/QC, and the apparent lack of adequate beta testing.  And given the scope of bugs and missing functionality, what's even more egregious is the decision to not allow users to roll back to the previous version.  The only thing worse than a release of an app this flawed is to not allow users to revert to temporarily return to a reasonably stable version. Yes, I understand you may take a "hit" with investors and shareholders in the short-term, but my experience has been the mid- and long-term interests will be best served by allowing your customers to return to a stable system with full functionality until the new app is significantly more ready for use.

FYI... I successfully side-loaded an older version of the app, so l am back to the old functionality.  Unfortunately, most of your users are incapable (as it should be) of doing this, and should not have to. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos has now sent me a second warranty amp since this app issue and it will not add to my system either. This makes it obvious that not only did they roll out an app that no one likes and killed many features, they also rolled out an app that will not allow additional sales of products to be added to their customer’s systems. That is genius! I am sure that their headphones will load just fine, but not their $699 amp. Not sure where their priorities are, but it looks like my outdoor Sonance speakers will not be working for the holiday, can’t wait for all the party goers to ask why the music is not on… 

Userlevel 3

Between the CEO now saying it’s the noisy 1% complaining and the “We heard your feedback” Facebook post they’ve just put out, it’s clear Sonos is, ironically, utterly tone deaf. Or just plain arrogant. They’ll never see another penny of my money.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Why on earth would anyone buy headphones just released when they just killed the use all of the products still in production?  Did they even think that through?  In what world would anyone buy more stuff from a company they killed the use of the products we bought. Not happening. 

Userlevel 1

The app gets worse with each update.  I’m about at my breaking point and may just abandon this platform - it’s too painful.  I no longer have access to a digitized music library of over 600 CDs, my napster account isn’t functioning; my sonos playlists are gone.  It just shouldn’t be this hard to listen to music.  They’re losing me…….

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Why on earth would anyone buy headphones just released when they just killed the use all of the products still in production?  Did they even think that through?  In what world would anyone buy more stuff from a company they killed the use of the products we bought. Not happening. 

In a world led by a CEO who cut his teeth at BlackBerry…

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

At this point I think they’re just trolling us with the “get to know the new app” promo that keeps inserting itself in the Home Screen.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This app is terrible.  At first it would not even find my MY LIBRARY on my NAS.  Now it “usually” finds it.  

I have over 20,000 songs on my NAS.  We used to be able to SEARCH the My Library. Now I can find no way to do that and am not willing to wait 45+ mins on hold.   This app looks like its for streamers only the way it is laid out and functions, Good copy of Spotify actually.  

At this point we have a huge investment in SONOS and the new app has basically limited us to not being able to use the NAS (unless you want to wear your finger out scrolling).

How can we go back to APP as it was prior to the update.  That app had its own quirks but it did work!!!!!

This just Sucks in this day and age with all the software tools etc for testing and comparisons of functions.  If Sonos is just becoming an on line stream app dedicated to their hardware they will fail badly.

Sorry for the rant but this pisses me off!

PS:  I just broke out the laptop, and the windows app still provides the old functionality of the previous app.  Takes away the advantage of an app on your phone or tablet. But it seems to be a work around for now.  So now the laptop will live on the kitchen counter.  Wish this had been published someplace for everyone to easily access.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

I'm a long, long, long time Sonos customer. I have 9 devices on S2 and 2 on S1.  I have always been a Sonos evangelist and defended its app and system. This fiasco with the new app has changed that Unfortunately, I feel like I'm so entrenched in the Sonos ecosystem there is nothing I can do.

I cut my teeth as an application developer, and grew into management roles, including CIO. I know the realities of technology and system integration. It can be daunting.

That said, I can find no excuse for how this new app was rolled out, the lack of QA/QC, and the apparent lack of adequate beta testing.  And given the scope of bugs and missing functionality, what's even more egregious is the decision to not allow users to roll back to the previous version.  The only thing worse than a release of an app this flawed is to not allow users to revert to temporarily return to a reasonably stable version. Yes, I understand you may take a "hit" with investors and shareholders in the short-term, but my experience has been the mid- and long-term interests will be best served by allowing your customers to return to a stable system with full functionality until the new app is significantly more ready for use.

FYI... I successfully side-loaded an older version of the app, so l am back to the old functionality.  Unfortunately, most of your users are incapable (as it should be) of doing this, and should not have to. 

How much for instructions on how to “side load” and get back to a usable system. I have 11 devices and am also ready to start looking for a better option.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Between the CEO now saying it’s the noisy 1% complaining and the “We heard your feedback” Facebook post they’ve just put out, it’s clear Sonos is, ironically, utterly tone deaf. Or just plain arrogant. They’ll never see another penny of my money.

Spence is just trying to hold on to his job.  He is LYING like a dog!  Just look at the negative press, the recent ratings on the Apple and Google stores, the comments on multiple Sonos Reddit threads, the comments on the Verge, Washington Post, the thousands of painful comments on the Sonos’ own community forum, and on and on.  (and just 11 hours ago, this: https://www.techradar.com/audio/sonos-defends-its-controversial-app-redesign-but-many-fans-are-still-fuming  )

++Sonos insiders are selling off shares (not buying)  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/insider-sale-chief-product-officer-061344407.html

Spence is now just rubbing our noses in it with the same ignorance and arrogance that ran Blackberry into the ground.  The board is now complicit in leaving him in control of a once great whole-home-wireless-audio system! 

Sonos management is now trying to be more stupid than Red Lobster’s!  

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Please, add again the surround distance configuration.

The icing on the cake for me was not having access to my music library. Really? Talk about dropping the ball. Luckily all of my speakers are bluetooth so I’ve been using the iTunes platform and accessing the streaming services through the respective apps. Since I have a Mac, I at least have an updated app to work with.

The app on my iPhone isn’t as pretty, but I’ll take function over looks any day. One thing that I’ve noticed is that there are more intervals to a lower volume. Low volume for Sonos has never really been low volume. Now when I’m working at home, I actually have background music.

It’s not a perfect fix. I still have to go to each speaker to adjust volume since nothing happens when clicking the volume slider in the Sonos app. Seems like a basic function. Just like playing your own music. What do I know.