Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2311 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Looks like Sonos will be paying the price for ignoring our howls of outrage.

Can anyone spot the app release day on this share price slide?

Cant believe it’s only dropped by 10% my sonos hardware has dropped in value by 100%

Don’t forget Sonos’ own employees and executives sold off a bunch of their shares after they launched this Malware!  See prior posts for the links to the financial info.  

Investors are starting to see this mess in the press and with Apple pulling down their Sonos gear on their products store +++ the dip will increase.  We sold our last shares the day after this train-wreck.  Time to clean out the C-suite and try again Sonos Board! 

I’m trying to “adapt to the change” and I’m willing to “adapt to the change” and I can even try new things to help me “adapt to the change”…. However, the change is that my Sonos system will not play anything. Not. One. Thing. So, if someone could explain how I might “adapt” to that, I’m all ears.

I’m trying to “adapt to the change” and I’m willing to “adapt to the change” and I can even try new things to help me “adapt to the change”…. However, the change is that my Sonos system will not play anything. Not. One. Thing. So, if someone could explain how I might “adapt” to that, I’m all ears.

One example…

Open App → Select any installed MSP (eg. Amazon Playlist) → Select Play Button → Adjust Volume → Group Rooms (if required).

See attached from my Sonos system.

Hope that assists to get you started - just use whichever music service you have installed.

One example…

Open App → Select any installed MSP (eg. Amazon Playlist) → Select Play Button → Adjust Volume → Group Rooms (if required).

Hope that assists to get you started - just use whichever music service you have installed.

Thanks, Ken. Nothing works. I press play. Nothing. Adjust volume. Nothing. Turn off / turn on. Nothing. I understand how the system "should* work. It just doesn't.

One example…

The aesthetics of the new app are growing on me but IMO it’s still a buggy mess.  Your app moves very quickly between taps. Mine takes like 5-10 seconds to load screens, not always. I’m thinking it’s congestion between my network and the cloud, or sonos cloud servers overloaded because, casting from Plex is pretty much instantaneous. I’ve rebooted everything recently, network was perfect with sonos before the app update. Nothing else changed. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can someone clarify this “move to the cloud” functionality I read above:  Are my speakers now dependent on my internet connection, even though my music library is in the same room?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The aesthetics of the new app are growing on me but IMO it’s still a buggy mess.  Your app moves very quickly between taps. Mine takes like 5-10 seconds to load screens, not always. I’m thinking it’s congestion between my network and the cloud, or sonos cloud servers overloaded because, casting from Plex is pretty much instantaneous. I’ve rebooted everything recently, network was perfect with sonos before the app update. Nothing else changed. If you have any advice I would appreciate it.

I’ve experienced wildly varying responsiveness and the behavior feels like overloaded-and-thrashing server. One hopes they provision more horsepower to their cloud and that fixes it.

Without being able to see what’s actually happening on someone else’s local network, what hardware is involved and not having diagnostic information, including SNR network connection levels etc. it’s quite difficult to make suggestions… Various other things on/around the network can have a bearing too.

I personally would not recommend using SonosNet nowadays, as that 2.4Ghz ‘now-old’ wireless network is slow by comparison to modern mesh wireless networks -12MB/s compared to 500+MB/s

A lot of Sonos products can also be whitelisted/blacklisted on AP’s to perhaps take advantage of 5Ghz DFS connections to assist faster discovery and communication. 

The WiFi Mesh Hubs here have a wired gigabit backhaul too for routing - but I don’t wire anything Sonos to the LAN. I just ensure all devices have a strong SNR connection - greater than 45dB and do not place my speakers where other things may interfere.

Obviously there’s the ‘usual’ things aswell, mentioned in the Sonos Support pages surrounding Wireless Interference etc… Some links perhaps worth a read:

Userlevel 1

Who is the genius that decided that a play next button and editing the queue was not necessary? I find it hard to believe that you gave this update any serious level of care. Looks like a C level manager trying to put his stamp on the company without understanding the customer. Well, you failed buddy. This level of incompetence is actually unbelievable. You would think that keeping basic functionality would be prioritized.

Badge

OLD APP:

Can slick Sirius from Recently played and station would play

NEW APP:

It bring up the Sirius channel and then you have to hit play….an extra click.

Can we fix this?

Who is the genius that decided that a play next button and editing the queue was not necessary? I find it hard to believe that you gave this update any serious level of care. Looks like a C level manager trying to put his stamp on the company without understanding the customer. Well, you failed buddy. This level of incompetence is actually unbelievable. You would think that keeping basic functionality would be prioritized.

Those things are in the App preview as seen here…

But just not included in the initial App release - the things you mention are due to be included in June, as widely discussed in the community …and outlined here in the Sonos App development timeline document:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

I simply cannot believe that Sonos foisted a major software revision on customers, knowing that BASIC functions people use every day are to be disabled for months. Why? 
Do the people who decided to deploy this degraded app even use Sonos products? Sure seems like the answer is no.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Those things are in the App preview as seen here…

But just not included in the initial App release - the things you mention are due to be included in June, as widely discussed in the community …and outlined here in the Sonos App development timeline document:

Wow, this is the first time I’ve seen anyone, including Sonos, refer to this mess as a ‘preview’. I mean, seriously!!!!???!!!!!

This isn’t and wasn’t labelled as such - it was literally promoted and released and emailed to customers with this information:

“We've taken great care to ensure that this update only enhances your Sonos experience. Your products, features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved.”

The images you quote as a ‘preview’ are/were a part of the promo release and showed functionality being available (encouraging people to update) in the update - that was not and still is not, available.  You’ve made it perfectly clear that you’re not affected by the incredible amount of bugs and functional deprecation but it’s no wonder you’re confused as a Sonos empolyee by many when you refer to promo material of an update as ‘preview’ material when it was never, ever (until now) referred to as a preview!!

People took Sonos at their word, trusted them - and how they’ve been widely ignored and treated and publicly referred to as a minority is an absolute disgrace.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is the can of worms that Sonos have opened in moving the controller to the web:

Here a few community participants are asking how to disable remote control from the web because of the security flaws. To overcome these flaws, corporations spend billions on development to ensure their LANs are secure when opening them up to the web. 

This move to web architecture is the reason that we are all getting intermittent and inconsistent connections, systems and functionality (the bits that do exist). The only way the fanboys and Sonos support can claim 'smooth' connections is if they are directly linked to their servers or they have 'magic' internet that defies the laws of physics. 

Even if Sonos can come up with a plan to reduce the drop out and the amount of processing required by going to internet servers for every function they are going to fall foul of privacy laws. Every single service from the internet is using strong Multi Factor Authorisation and this is enforced by regulation where money is involved. 

So they can move to a subscription model but they will have to slow down connections and functions even more. 

I'm happy to ask Sonos Support what plans they have to overcome the delay due to web architecture and what is the roadmap for privacy compliance? 

Nevermind all that! They saved you by disabling SMB_ver_old

Sonos has become a nightmare to use and manage.  Can you provide guidance on how to roll-back to an older version of the app?

I’ve just used the new app for a few days and while I generally like the new layout, the app is slow and clunky as compaired to the old app.  Slow response .  Move the volume down and it goes right back to where it was, finally settles where I want it after several trys.   Just generally slow response all around.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is anyone else having trouble adding new Sonos devices to their account? I now have two replacement amps from Sonos and they both start the process to join my system and get to the point where they state there is an update available and they must update. This process ends in about a second with an error 1002. Nothing has changed on my network since I built the entire system six(ish) months ago other than the app update. Support is lost and just keeps sending me replacement amps that run into the same issue. I have Spectrum cable internet and am using their modem with Google Nest mesh. Anyone have ideas, I have been stuck for well over a week on this topic?

Userlevel 2
Badge

At the first forced update to iOS app, I lost the ability to play anything in my library - either stored on an NAS, or a backup SSD.  I thought: “oh well,they will sort it out; I can at least play CDs through my Connect and CD player, and stream my custom playlists through Amazon Music priime unlimited.   

Well, yesterday, I was forced to update to the latest version for iOS and NOTHING works.  Zip.  Nothing, Nada.     I can play individual songs or albums, but the connect is a brick and zero access to play lists.   What I do get is an “unable to connect” error “try back later.”

I have purchased well over a dozen SONOS products - none of them work now.   

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s the biggest compliant I’m hearing from friends, family, associates, and regrettably folks I talked into Sonos a few years back.  WE DON’T WANT CHANGE FOR CHANGE SAKE foisted upon us with the false promise that all features/functions will be maintained! 

STOP monkeying with what used to be a very reliable whole-home-wireless-audio system Sonos!  We are SICK AND TIRED of having to learn whole new ways to just frick’n play music/podcasts on your pretty excellent hardware. 

And Sonos management, if you’re going to lie, and try all sorts of methods to get us to accept your new app (accidentally updating firm/software) then WARN us ahead and let us chose S2 or S3 - You just soiled your own pants and made fools of you and your once loyal customers, damaged your brand and stock value. 

Lastly, Sonos apologists, fanboys (and girls), we’re are SO happy your systems/app is working great!  STOP RUBBING IT IN for the many thousands of us who find our Sonos system screwed up for possibly a month or more. Have a heart!  Music/audio is a personal and emotional experience for most of us.  Sonos leadership is careless and arrogant!

Wow, this is the first time I’ve seen anyone, including Sonos, refer to this mess as a ‘preview’. I mean, seriously!!!!???!!!!!

This isn’t and wasn’t labelled as such - it was literally promoted and released and emailed to customers with this information:

“We've taken great care to ensure that this update only enhances your Sonos experience. Your products, features and services will work as they always have, and all your settings will be saved.”

The images you quote as a ‘preview’ are/were a part of the promo release and showed functionality being available (encouraging people to update) in the update - that was not and still is not, available.  You’ve made it perfectly clear that you’re not affected by the incredible amount of bugs and functional deprecation but it’s no wonder you’re confused as a Sonos empolyee by many when you refer to promo material of an update as ‘preview’ material when it was never, ever (until now) referred to as a preview!!

People took Sonos at their word, trusted them - and how they’ve been widely ignored and treated and publicly referred to as a minority is an absolute disgrace.

It’s precisely described - a ‘preview’ is an opportunity to view something before it is acquired or becomes generally available, by definition. I think I have labelled it correctly in my post. In fact it’s still the case that the features shown in the animated graphic are still to become generally available/acquired.

Oh and Sonos employees are all clearly identified in this community, but you know that already @sjw and just so there’s no confusion for any others here - “I am not a Sonos employee”. I am a user of their products and a customer, like a good many other people here in the community.

Since new update i can not even connect to 80% of my speakers and i own 14 different speakers and frankly I’m pissed, it’s ridiculous that i all lost ability to play music from my hard drive and i had over 100,000 songs. Something needs to be done, and fast. I see a big lawsuit in near future and I’m on board for that.

Userlevel 2

I was forced to update. Old SONOS App would not respond without updating. 

I AM TOTALLY SCREWED.

I invested in SONOS to play my owned (purchased) digital music archive.
The files are on a NAS drive. I have:
Play 5 (Media Room)
Play 3 (Studio)
Play 1 (pair) (Garage)
S1 (pair) (Office)
Port (to feed my analog vinyl and CD collection to SONOS

BEFORE update I could easily play my music in any room, or different music in different rooms; It was heaven— all controlled by iOS app.

I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO A STREAMING SERVICE.
REPEAT: I DO NOT WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO A STREAMING SERVICE.

AFTER update— NADA. ZIP, no music at all. Won’t recognize or connect to the NAS, won’t connect to a USB on my computer, won’t connect to a FOLDER on my computer. ABSOLUTLEY USELESS.

I’m going to cut my losses. $1000s + in equipment, hours of setup, and now hours of frustration.
Anyone want 7 boat anchors?
Any recommendations to feed my digital library throughout the house?
Perhaps AirPlay and new speakers will do the trick.

And SONOS remember—
1. it’s much easier to keep an existing customer than to find a new one.
2. An unhappy customer is much more vocal than a happy customer.
3. THINK Flywheel not Funnel. You burned me over and out. Lesson learned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey Ken,

“Your feedback on the new Sonos App”

is not the same as,

”Hey Ken Griffiths please go argue with everyone that’s having a bad experience”

FWIW

Userlevel 1

Just make previous app available until you are able to launch an improved app.

Userlevel 3
Badge

For those having trouble getting their system to work, here is what they did to get mine back online with the exception of one amp:

Go to each device and unplug them for 10 seconds and then plug back in.

Run system update again, they have a new version of software for the components as well that works with the new app. The phone app will tell you the devices update even if they don’t… So make sure you unplug and plug back in all devices and then reboot your phone before running the software update process. This did it for me. Now, if I could just get someone to figure out why I cannot get a new amp to join my system that would be fantastic… Their current hold time is 95 minutes!