Skip to main content
Question

The new Sonos S2 App Sucks

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

315 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@Ken_Griffiths and @Bumper: Maybe I’m not using the ‘desktop app’ — it’s whatever I get when I click the link on the Sonos site where they provide a left button to go to the app store and a right button to go to the internet [which I do via safari]. I don’t know what that all means; and shamefacedly admit I would rather not delve into it. 

Unfortunately, all of those acronyms you’ve provided go in one of my ears and out the other. And given it takes hours to get Sonos support, and I’m doing just fine using the ‘new’ S2 with phonos+ as an adjunct, and I’ve never used the desktop or web app before and don’t intend to again unless somebody puts a gun to my head, I think I’ll just leave well enough alone.

I’ve had Sonos run diagnostics before, to no avail. The last advice I received was ‘you probably have a defective ethernet cable’ which was in reality my Xfinity service going wonky following a windstorm as a crew out here on the Island fiddled with equipment and cycled my modem and router repeatedly in the process.

If there is some sort of deficiency in my network, it was entirely asymptomatic right up to the moment I allowed the app on my ipad to update in May. I now have all of the speaker ‘firmware’ updated [whatever that means] and the app updated with the latest iteration; a very strong wifi signal, a gigabit cable connection, and about 500 Mbps on speedtest at my tablet… if more than that is required, it’s outta my league.

By the way, Bumper, a million thanks for encouraging me to get phonos+. For 99 cents, I now have access to my Sonos playlists; I’ve been listening to music I’ve missed for months, without having to go hunt one track at a time; and as far as I’m concerned all is [mostly] right with the world. If I could edit and revise an existing playlist or save a new queue as a playlist again, we’d be right back where we started. But that’s a detail I won’t fret over. 

If it is not painfully apparent by now, I possess barely rudimentary technical prowess and am not one to get the latest and greatest device either. Planned obsolescence is not my cup o’ tea [and I hate tea anyway, strictly espresso, straight]. I’m using a 1st gen ipad pro that’s now pushing a decade old and an iphone XR that my cell provider gave me gratis because they could no longer provide 3G service to my aged iphone 5.

See what we’re dealing with here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

If there is some sort of deficiency in my network, it was asymptomatic right up to the moment I allowed the app on my ipad to update. I now have all of the speakers updated and the app updated; a very strong wifi signal and a gigabit cable connection… if more than that is required, it’s outta my league.

Very well stated, @chambolle, as always. Some of the problems with the new app/architecture* may be differences in user networks that never manifested under the “April 2024” app/architecture.
I use the word ‘differences’ rather than ‘deficiencies’ on purpose: these could be something in configuration that is user changeable or could be an exception/corner-case not properly handled in the new app or new firmware. In either case, you did not ‘do’ anything to create the problem. And in either case, it behooves Sonos to diagnose these problems real-soon-now.

* new mobile app plus the new APIs in device firmware and new cloud-based servers

Userlevel 1

The new app is terrible.   I think my experience is worse because the app update happened during our move into a new house, new network, new ISP, etc.   I have  deleted my Sonos app, Sonos account, reinstalled the app, set up a new account, factory reset all devices a dozen times, tried 2.4 GHz, IoT onboarding, etc, etc, etc.  I can see the devices all connected to my Wifi, but none appears in the Sonos S2 app on my system.   I was able to get the ARC to finally appear on a wired ethernet connection, but disappears when I unplug and go wireless.   I might be able to run a switch at my TV to connect TV, ARC and Sub wired, but Sonos should fix their issues.

I think the best thing I can do right now is file a warranty claim on my Platinum AMEX since Sonos will not respond to Support emails.   I don’t have hours to spend on the phone on hold since apparently their help desk is overwhelmed with customer issues.   I have already wasted hours trying to set up the Sonos.  I installed at least a half dozen other devices (two garage door openers, two wireless garage door opener keypads, power shades, etc) on our new network easily in a few minutes, so it is not me or my networks that are the issue.    Sonos is the problem.

Seems they trashed a perfectly functional app to promote Sonos radio. Is the plan to eventually charge for the dubious joy of Sonos radio...you're committing suicide Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Seems they trashed a perfectly functional app to promote Sonos radio. Is the plan to eventually charge for the dubious joy of Sonos radio...you're committing suicide Sonos.

? What? The app update has absolutely zero to do with Sonos Radio! And they already charge for Sonos Radio if you want no ads, so…..you’ve lost me.

Userlevel 1

I agree with the new app comments above. I have been using Sonos for years and this update has me rethinking my investment.

The iPhone app did an automatic update to the new app, which is a terrible idea in the first place. The application is slow to load, slow to respond and does not search my local music files. The application seems to be services-centric. Unfortunately, have music ripped to a NAS, which the new application can’t search. 

I was on with Sonos support today. The response I got back was uninstall and reinstall the app. I asked how that will fix the lack of service for my local library, the answer was well, you should really uninstall and reinstall. I guess what the person really means is “I don’t know.” Absolute bummer.  

Same here. Local music library I invested in for years is a mess. No more cover art. No more recent played tracks. App keeps refresshing endlessly in an otherwise excellent wifi / smart home with no issues whatsoever. Why are we not considering a class action against SONOS? Any lawyers up for a challenge? I'd gladly contribute to be able to have control over which version of the app I want to run to control the system. Which is the previous version. Which worked fine. Now, I am forced to update if I want to use my x-1,000-dollar SONOS hardware. So, basically SONOS is harrassing all of us.

Same here. Local music library I invested in for years is a mess. No more cover art. No more recent played tracks. App keeps refresshing endlessly in an otherwise excellent wifi / smart home with no issues whatsoever. Why are we not considering a class action against SONOS? Any lawyers up for a challenge? I'd gladly contribute to be able to have control over which version of the app I want to run to control the system. Which is the previous version. Which worked fine. Now, I am forced to update if I want to use my x-1,000-dollar SONOS hardware. So, basically SONOS is harrassing all of us.

Well not quite of us. My local library here works okay in the new App.

The app is dead! What do we do? Has Sonos even registered this? Any response? I havent really been able to listen to music. Thank God I have a Move and it has bluetooth so I can use other apps. I have 2 Play 1's that are unusable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Still not sorted then.

I have been using the S2 app for the last 2 months waiting for all the problems to be sorted out but it looks like I’ll be using it for a while yet.

Will check back and see if sonos have come to their senses in a month or two but I’m not holding my breath.

I just want the simple stuff, listen to music on a responsive controller, and be able to use my library.

Not too much to ask, is it?

Honestly, why would Sonos release this? This is the worst app ever. It's incredibly frustrating to find anything. PLEASE delete this and revert to the old design.

Honestly, why would Sonos release this? This is the worst app ever. It's incredibly frustrating to find anything. PLEASE delete this and revert to the old design.

Oh just stop it already — we know the old app isn’t coming back.  That isn’t my opinion, it’s a fact.  And no, that fact won’t change no matter how many people ask for it.  Your post would have been better spent asking for help with any specific issues you were having, and not in asking for something that won’t happen. 

Oh just stop it already — we know the old app isn’t coming back.  That isn’t my opinion, it’s a fact.  And no, that fact won’t change no matter how many people ask for it.  Your post would have been better spent asking for help with any specific issues you were having, and not in asking for something that won’t happen. 

The name of the thread is “The new sonos S2 App Sucks”. Maybe look for your solutions in other threads buddy. 

The name of the thread is “The new sonos S2 App Sucks”. Maybe look for your solutions in other threads buddy. 

You mention you find things "frustrating to find anything" in the new App, maybe see the Sonos App User Guide here…

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/sonosapp

I don’t personally have any difficulties with the new App, I find things easy to locate and intuitive and it’s working fine here.

You mention you find things "frustrating to find anything" in the new App, maybe see the Sonos App User Guide here…

I don’t personally have any difficulties with the new App, I find things easy to locate and intuitive and it’s working fine here.

"I've had no problems with the new app, must be you bro"

"its so easy, you must be a luddite"

Haha! Exactly. All these people are in the wrong because they haven’t read the freaking user guide :D 

Haha! Exactly. All these people are in the wrong because they haven’t read the freaking user guide :D 

You’re the one that clearly said "It's incredibly frustrating to find anything”… (see quote).

I’m sure most of you have received this by now.  But for those that haven’t:

Sonos app Update from Sonos

Sonos just apologized for this.  Even in the best of times, I think the app is hard to use.  It still annoys me that I play one song and then it stops playing anything. 

Then they updated the thing, and my system broke.  Now somehow I can’t control all my speakers because the app can’t recognize different networks that are all, get this, the same underlying network.  I have to walk out of my room to play the speaker.

Then I had to load new software onto my Play 3 and it wouldn’t do it over wifi, even when I was next to the router, but then would do it when plugged in.

I always contemplate throwing the speakers out of the window but my wife stops me.  I certainly won’t buy a new product.  Hopefully someone will come up with something that actually works.

I’ve wasted so much time trying to get my Sonos system to work. Just sad and disappointed that they put out such awful products. Must be some disconnect between them and tech titans. 

Ditto all of the comments re new app.  Very frustrating to use!  
Also, trying to get through to customer “service” is highly frustrating.  Always an hour wait despite what the original hold time estimate is.  Why don’t you want to help your customer?  This is not a great area for cost savings.

Userlevel 1

I don’t know what you did and why you did it Sonos…..but can you please undo it? Honestly - terrible is not the word. It is not intuitive, I cannot even work out how to change the volume. I am sure the engineers and product managers who developed it and have played with it day in and day out before its release, know how to use it. But think of the rest of us. Suddenly we have a completely new, what I can only describe as awful, UX put front of us. What were you thinking? Fire the idiot approved this release……and in the meantime, prepare to go out of business

There is no other way around it - Sonos has truly forgotten who they work for and the new app is a great sign of it. The only worst deployment than the new Sonos 2 app is that of Apple’s maps … at least with maps we had other mapping options but not with this one. The app reduces my speakers to bratty teenagers to the degree in which a single speaker will, just by the touch of a button adding another speaker to the group, lag behind!!! So now I start to hear music lagged and unable to discern how to, where to and in what steps to make it sound as beautifully is it did before. As far as I am concerned I just won’t use them for now…. I am sure one day somebody at Sonos will figure out, yet again, they have a problem. I am comforted that at least for this blunder I have my true faithful Sonos Bluetooth roam speaker to take everywhere I need though it definitely is not the experience I expected after shelling out 10k on the system 

There is no other way to put it, this new updated Sonos app for the Apple ecosystem just plain sucks! I’ve been with Sonos for about 8 years and this is the very worst app update. Use ability is horrible and not the least bit intuitive. Volume control is awkward and clunky, still haven’t figured out speaker selection, speakers shutting down randomly then coming back on and volume raising and lowering intermittently. I feel like a beta tester and I’m not happy with this buggy app. I didn’t ask for this app and I really don’t want it. It was automatically downloaded to take the place of the old one. 

Totally agree with you - somebody needs to get their act together at Sonos (yet again) and blaming users and networks for it does not help any of us 

Totally agree with you - somebody needs to get their act together at Sonos (yet again) and blaming users and networks for it does not help any of us 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The new app is a disaster wrapped in a nightmare within a mess.  Please get rid of this joke.  Was this designed by someone who is trying to sabotage your company?

I have a house full of Sonos.  The app is user hostile.  It is more of a hassle to use than it is worth.  

Did you lay off your QA department?  

Userlevel 1

I am a software developer with 60 years experience. I have never seen such a mess. What is really silly and infuriating is there is no roll back. It is bad enough to supply an update that trashes thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but not to provide a rollback is unbelievable. I found a way to load an image of the pre-update app. That worked fine. I just got a few days ago a notification from Sonos that I had to update. It would not let me use the old app. It forced an update to this disaster.

I have been a fan of Sonos for years and have recommended it highly to my friends, all of whom are classical and opera fans. Many of whom have big Sonos systems installed based on my recommendation. I can not possibly recommend Sonos now. If I had released a disaster like this anytime in my software career with no rollback provision, I would have been drawn and quartered.

Sonos has trashed decades of goodwill in an instant.