Skip to main content

Workaround(ish): Android App Crashing with Firmware v16.3

Those Android users unfortunate enough to have installed the v16.3 firmware released on 17 July may have encountered a nasty bug that crashes the app over and over. Thanks to an intrepid detective on Reddit, we’ve narrowed down the bug and identified a weak workaround.

The bug causing the crash seems to be triggered by local library music. And the local library music does not need to playing, it simply needs to be in the queue of the currently selected Sonos device.

So if you are encountering this bug and your Android app is stuck crashing ...

• Using a functioning controller* clear the queuesⵜ on all Sonos devices
  • Start Android app, everything works!
  • Play streaming source, everything works!
  • Play local library music, BOOM CRASH BOOM

… hence “weak workaround” as local library music in your queue will continue to crash the app.

* Desktop app and Web app work particularly well
ⵜ or replace the queues with streaming music

Side note: this bug is not limited to Samsung devices, tho’ it may not impact all Android devices. Samsung devices happen to display the Android OS error message shown below, while other Android devices opt to log the error without a pop-up.

I just upgraded to 16.3 on my computer, uninstalled the sonos app from my Pixel 7, then reinstalled it. Cleared all my queues so there was nothing from my Music Library. Then brought app up and was able to run Tidal in one room. Switched to another room and ran music from my library there. Ran beautifully. But Sonos app crashed again on my Pixel. 16.3 has not fixed the problem!

Come on, Sonos, get  your act together!

When did having a cup of coffee and listening to a piece of music become something I had to plan in advance?

And as if to rub salt into the wound, when I open the App today they are running a marketing add titled "Effortless Listening"... someone in marketing has a wicked sense of humour!

just when you think the idiot morons responsible for Sonos software cant make it worse, they do.   They have no interest in supporting local libraries as they don't make money from it.   Software is pathetic. 

Here is another work around that will allow you play your library on your Android device:

Use the web app
https://play.sonos.com/

It seems to run faster than the android app.

HTH

I tried this on my Android phone (Google Pixel 6a), but it tells me it doesn’t support my screen size.  It works on my Windows Laptop, but the Sonos app actually already works there, so not much use for it. 

Here is another work around that will allow you play your library on your Android device:

Use the web app

HTH

I tried this on my Android phone (Google Pixel 6a), but it tells me it doesn’t support my screen size.  It works on my Windows Laptop, but the Sonos app actually already works there, so not much use for it. 

If you're using Chrome you can choose to see the Desktop site, then it works. 

Good Lord how friggin horrible are the Sonos devs? They systematically break everything about local libraries, you know, the only real reason people would bother getting high performance speakers. I could have my intern program their whole system for them in a day or two. Are they hiring 6th graders? I think the 7th graders might be able to pull it off better.

Good Lord how friggin horrible are the Sonos devs? They systematically break everything about local libraries, you know, the only real reason people would bother getting high performance speakers. I could have my intern program their whole system for them in a day or two. Are they hiring 6th graders? I think the 7th graders might be able to pull it off better.

Hey, don’t blame the poor devs, they’re just bashing out code. Blame their managers, and their managers. You know, the one who won’t pay coders to fix existing problems, only to create new features.

Hey, don’t blame the poor devs, they’re just bashing out code. Blame their managers, and their managers. You know, the one who won’t pay coders to fix existing problems, only to create new features.

What new features? They've only removed features.

Use the web app

HTH

Firefox for Android option to run “Desktop Site” enables this link but interface is fiddly and requires zooming in and out.

If it's that bad, why even pretend to support it and waste time on shitty developments?

It's obvious now that none of them tests the release with android and the local music library. Otherwise they would have noticed this bug before. This combination is dying. They should better drop support completely now like they did with local files on android and leave it to third party apps like plex. 

Profit motive trumps quality of life - it’s a familiar story!

Thanks for your message - saved me loads of time.  I cannot believe that they release this POS for consumption to the public.   Sonos is a shambles if I could leave I would but they know that...

This wasn't negligence on the part of Sonos. It was intentional. They want you to stream, not use your own music. This is their way of forcing users who otherwise wouldn't stream to try streaming music. 

​We local library users may not be a priority for SONOS ​ but at the very least I am heartened by the vocal resistance to this tendency in these forums. 

Thanks for your message - saved me loads of time.  I cannot believe that they release this POS for consumption to the public.   Sonos is a shambles if I could leave I would but they know that...

This wasn't negligence on the part of Sonos. It was intentional. They want you to stream, not use your own music. This is their way of forcing users who otherwise wouldn't stream to try streaming music. 

And your source?

​We local library users may not be a priority for SONOS ​ but at the very least I am heartened by the vocal resistance to this tendency in these forums.

Before the conspiracy gets out of hand.. there is an app update tomorrow which includes addressing music library issues.

And your source?

Common sense. Their long game is a subscription model, with the sale of its hardware an ancillary business.

And your source?

Common sense. Their long game is a subscription model, with the sale of its hardware an ancillary business.

Ah okay. Just wanted to check…

Sonos software is so bad and in particular using local libraries (I ended up buying a NAS drive when the last ‘improvement’ removed the ability to stream my library from my phone.  I own a lot of music and wanted quality speakers. Why is it the F***wits at Sonos don’t get that this is a common situation? I badly regret investing in Sonos, now I cant afford to replace them all with speakers that have software that actually works.  What is the legal situation whereby these cowboy criminals sell you expensive hardware then through design or complete incompetence remove your ability to use them.  My Sonos speakers are not fit for purpose.  I should be entitled to a refund.  Why is there not a class action against Sonos for rendering their product useless.  All they are interested in is Ad banners to sell you more product and streaming services.  Best advice to everyone is get rid of this shit product and never buy Sonos again.  Make sure you tell everyone on social media what this company is like.

And your source?

I wasn't saying they weren't ever going to fix it. They simply wanted more users to try streaming. They'll fix it and analyze the data to see if more users contrinue streaming. If the data suggests an increase in streaming, they'll temporarily disable use of our libraries again with a future software update. This will continue until they have enough critical mass of streamers to charge a monthly subscription. Then they'll permanently disable use of your own music on Sonos devices. This isn't a conspiracy. It's what everything is nowadays - a quest to squeeze as much profit out of consumers as possible.

Clearing the local library queue worked for me.  The functionality and features for connected drives seems to have been a low priority in the development of the new app. 

Use the web app

HTH

Firefox for Android option to run “Desktop Site” enables this link but interface is fiddly and requires zooming in and out.

Awesome, Thanks so much!  (Can’t believe I didn’t think of that… <facepalm>)  That worked for me and I can finally stop returning to my laptop app just to control my music.  Of course, we still need the phone app fixed, but this will save a little bit of my sanity at least.  Thanks again!!!  

How do I  clear the queue when I can't get the app to open?  If I turn off the WiFi connection on my phone the app will open, but it can't see the system therefore no queue to clear.  I only run sonos on my android phone.

Like most on here I bought the speakers to listen to my local library - first time user just a couple of months ago.  Talk about bad timing!  What a nightmare, sinking all that money into two Fives, with stands, and a Roam.  Why do they despise their customers so much that they would do this to us....?

How do I  clear the queue when I can't get the app to open?  If I turn off the WiFi connection on my phone the app will open, but it can't see the system therefore no queue to clear.  I only run sonos on my android phone.

Like most on here I bought the speakers to listen to my local library - first time user just a couple of months ago.  Talk about bad timing!  What a nightmare, sinking all that money into two Fives, with stands, and a Roam.  Why do they despise their customers so much that they would do this to us....?

Clear the queue using the desktop version of the Sonos app for Windows or Mac, downloadable from the Sonos website 

You can use a web browser on your phone and log into the website to access your system remotely: 

https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

*Note: If on your phone, you may need to switch to “desktop site” (in Firefox or Chrome). 

You can also download the desktop “app” for Windows or Mac (download from Sonos website).  This will  allow you to continue using your music library, playlists, etc. - as they haven’t broken it on these apps… yet. 

However, even if you clear the queue, as soon as you create a new queue, this will crash your phone app again.  So, if you’re only trying to access your music library, and not streaming, then the phone app is pretty much dead in the water right now. 

Yes, it was some bad timing… but, I encourage you to stick with it.  Sonos seems to “overhaul” their app every few years and royally screws things up… but they do eventually get their heads out of the collective butts and fix things… just takes time.  At least that’s the pattern I’ve noticed since starting my system 10+ years ago.  I know that’s not comforting to hear when you’ve just sunk a bunch of money into a new system, but trying to find the silver lining for you.  😉

You can use a web browser on your phone and log into the website to access your system remotely: 

https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app

*Note: If on your phone, you may need to switch to “desktop site” (in Firefox or Chrome). 

You can also download the desktop “app” for Windows or Mac (download from Sonos website).  This will  allow you to continue using your music library, playlists, etc. - as they haven’t broken it on these apps… yet. 

However, even if you clear the queue, as soon as you create a new queue, this will crash your phone app again.  So, if you’re only trying to access your music library, and not streaming, then the phone app is pretty much dead in the water right now. 

Yes, it was some bad timing… but, I encourage you to stick with it.  Sonos seems to “overhaul” their app every few years and royally screws things up… but they do eventually get their heads out of the collective butts and fix things… just takes time.  At least that’s the pattern I’ve noticed since starting my system 10+ years ago.  I know that’s not comforting to hear when you’ve just sunk a bunch of money into a new system, but trying to find the silver lining for you.  😉

Thanks guys.   I’ll try the web version and keep checking.