Skip to main content

Workaround(ish): Android App Crashing with Firmware v16.3

Those Android users unfortunate enough to have installed the v16.3 firmware released on 17 July may have encountered a nasty bug that crashes the app over and over. Thanks to an intrepid detective on Reddit, we’ve narrowed down the bug and identified a weak workaround.

The bug causing the crash seems to be triggered by local library music. And the local library music does not need to playing, it simply needs to be in the queue of the currently selected Sonos device.

So if you are encountering this bug and your Android app is stuck crashing ...

• Using a functioning controller* clear the queuesⵜ on all Sonos devices
  • Start Android app, everything works!
  • Play streaming source, everything works!
  • Play local library music, BOOM CRASH BOOM

… hence “weak workaround” as local library music in your queue will continue to crash the app.

* Desktop app and Web app work particularly well
ⵜ or replace the queues with streaming music

Side note: this bug is not limited to Samsung devices, tho’ it may not impact all Android devices. Samsung devices happen to display the Android OS error message shown below, while other Android devices opt to log the error without a pop-up.

I’m with you 100% @einspace, the v16.1 Android app was a Get Out of Jail Free card.

Pro-Tip: briefly unpower the speaker(s) that have the track from the LAN library in their playlist. When a speaker reboots it forgets its playlist. Like this you can also recover from the Android app crashing if you don't have another working controller.

OK…..another problem that we can wait a while for a fix.  I have four android devices that we use to control our Sonos system and the Sonos app crashes immediately as soon as they are opened.  Just started today for me I think.  Maybe yesterday.  And yes, I do use it to access my music library on my PC.  I get to use my music library for a couple of weeks and now it’s down again.  Thanks, Sonos.

Feel absolutely the same, library of classical/jazz, just short of 10,000 tracks, only way is Windows now. Android only for Amazon - not going to find every disc I own on Amazon and turn them into Amazon playlists just to have 'mobile' access! It's ridiculous in 2024! My heating app is more intuitive! 

I have Samsung S20+ and S24 Plus. both crashing if any device has local queue, I also have a Samsung A8 Tablet, with ONE UI 6 Android 14, and it’s working fine, doesn't care if local files are in queues it works,  The new app is still rubbish to use compared to the old one but it works.

App version 80.05.05 release+20240702.edb3233

I have Samsung S20+ and S24 Plus. both crashing if any device has local queue, I also have a Samsung A8 Tablet, with ONE UI 6 Android 14, and it’s working fine, doesn't care if local files are in queues it works,  The new app is still rubbish to use compared to the old one but it works.

Interesting that different android devices behave differently... we've found the same with iOS devices! 

I only listen to music from my local library so this has rendered my system totally useless.  Such poor customer support. It was bad enough when there was no local music library search.  Now my sonos system is useless.  How about rolling back the dodgy updates? It would nice to listen to my music on my not inexpensive sonos system

I posted yesterday in a different thread about this same problem, here's an update I've discovered to the above posted here - you can play your local music through both the PC app and the Android app if you save whatever local music queue to a Sonos playlist. After it seemed like this was the case I tested it directly by playing a local music album from the PC app, which crashed the Android app, playing that same local music album from the Android app, which also crashed the Android app, and then from the PC app playing that same local music album but then saving the queue as a Sonos playlist, and after clearing the queue so the Android app would open again, playing the resulting playlist, which playsled from both the Android app and the PC app, without crashing the Android app.

I posted yesterday in a different thread about this same problem, here's an update I've discovered to the above posted here - you can play your local music through both the PC app and the Android app if you save whatever local music queue to a Sonos playlist. After it seemed like this was the case I tested it directly by playing a local music album from the PC app, which crashed the Android app, playing that same local music album from the Android app, which also crashed the Android app, and then from the PC app playing that same local music album but then saving the queue as a Sonos playlist, and after clearing the queue so the Android app would open again, playing the resulting playlist, which playsled from both the Android app and the PC app, without crashing the Android app.

And some of you say the new app isn’t user friendly!

Here is another work around that will allow you play your library on your Android device:

Use the web app
https://play.sonos.com/

It seems to run faster than the android app.

HTH

Just tried this. Won't run on phone. Says screen size too small and directs me to Android app. I can now only control my system via Windows desktop app. Fortunately I have it installed on 3 PCs (2 laptops and a desktop) but it is far less convenient than controlling via the phone.

Sonos seem to have taken a bad situation and actually made it worse. Who knew that was even possible?

I had the same problem with the web app. I found that in Chrome you need to choose the desktop site option (that’s on the drop-down … menu). You have to zoom the screen but it works.
I also found that on Linux the web app doesn’t work properly but Chrome does.

They’ve literally made the horrible app even worse. 

This company is dead in the water. It’s over. 

Thanks for the ‘workaround’ for the latest pathetic app update - even though it means that yet again, I can’t use my music library on Sonos. What a joke. The app (on a Pixel 😎 kept crashing constantly, so I cleared the queues on the desktop app. At least for now I can use streaming services, which I assume is what Sonos wants to force us into anyway by screwing up this app over and over. I invested in the Sonos system specifically to play my personal music library. At this point, it looks like Enron might have been a better investment.

Here’s hoping this firmware push is laying the ground work for the next App update and they are just now incompatible.

Sucks for sure (I have all the same issues), but maybe it’s a signal that the next app will have our local music features promised last month and delayed until July…

Of course, this could also signal that they have very poor QA (or only care about streaming) or release pipelines and they never meant to push the firmware without the app. Interestingly, the Dutch article floating around suggested the update was supposed to be yesterday which hints at the firmware being pushed accidentally, i.e., app team found a blocker and pulled the brake but the firmware team didn’t...

Hi @mrmegadeth, I think you’re on the money …

Here’s hoping this firmware push is laying the ground work for the next App update and they are just now incompatible.

This was my thought when this snafu hit on Tuesday: the v16.3 firmware was supposed to be released in tandem with the widely touted new app release, but the latter was delayed and the former was accidently released early. That said, the app is crashing due to a memory corruption bug that has been present in the Android app for weeks … it simply wasn’t triggered until something shifted in the v16.3 firmware.

Of course, this could also signal that they have very poor QA (or only care about streaming) or release pipelines and they never meant to push the firmware without the app...

And this is very clearly fact across the board: very poor testing methodology, very little testing at all, no QA process. It’s been obvious from the start that Android gets little love compared to iOS (the entire raison d'être for the new app is the Ace headphones, and the new Android app still doesn’t include the signature TV Audio Swap feature) and local library support continues to be bug-ridden and have missing features.

From 'The Verge':

Google is purging ‘low-quality’ Android apps next month

/ 

Play Store apps will be required to provide a ‘stable, engaging, responsive user experience’ starting August 31

Wonder if this will apply to the Sonos app....

If they really just pull low scoring apps Google will lose many of their own. Go look at the apps that ship with the Pixel phones, many are 2 or lower. Haha

Thank you for diagnosing.  I have the same problem here.  By the way, it is all the crazier since I went to my wife’s IOS device to clear the queues and they removed the option to clear queues in that app!  I have over  a decade of experience with Sonos apps that are each worse than the last version and even for me this one is just crazy awful.

I will add that you can clear all the queues from the PC app (only, nothing else will work) and then the android will work.  But even after clearing, and if the app is set to stream sonos to speaker or room A, if you then go on the PC app and play from the library for room C the android app will immediately crash.  I am not sure how I would program it to do that if I wanted that behavior.

With the way they have deprecated my library in the interface so that it is way harder to find, I am led to wonder if the streaming services are paying Sonos to hide non-paid options in the interface.  

By the way, I presume it is too much to ask that a Sonos moderator might appear in this thread and at least say that it is a known issue they are working on.

I swear the interface in the app from 10 years ago was better than this one, with each one successively worse.  If I did not know better, I would think that Google has done to Sonos what it did to Sage and secretly bought it and is trying to kill it now.

By the way, I presume it is too much to ask that a Sonos moderator might appear in this thread and at least say that it is a known issue they are working on.

Hi @pizzachef94, one of the mods confirmed my bug report on Wednesday. All of us in this boat are hoping for a fix in the next release on Monday.

Thanks

Hi @pizzachef94, one of the mods confirmed my bug report on Wednesday. All of us in this boat are hoping for a fix in the next release on Monday.

Thanks.  I bought a bluesound from Amazon today to test it.  I hope things are better monday but I am not optimistic for the future.  A trendline regressed through a scatter plot of Sonos app suckiness over time is pointing way down.

Interesting that different android devices behave differently... we've found the same with iOS devices! 

OK, so it’s affecting Apple devices as well ?, I though it was only android

I swear the interface in the app from 10 years ago was better than this one, with each one successively worse.  If I did not know better, I would think that Google has done to Sonos what it did to Sage and secretly bought it and is trying to kill it now.

I agree, I have been a long term user, many Play 3 and bar still going strong, the app side of things has got progressively worse over the years, the latest version is just an awful interface, I swear I can’t find anything half the time, now this, well done Sonos, I’m hoping you understand you have customers outside your own test or lack-of-test lab ?

Here is a screenshot of it working on my Samsung A8 Tablet every device is accessing different local content from my NAS , everything is up to the latest firmware / app.

No go on my S20+ or S24+

I just don’t get people saying they can’t find things on the app… It’s like moving to a new town and saying you can’t shop at the supermarket because it’s not laid out like the one you used to shop at. Go up and down the aisles and visit a few times and you’ll get used to where things are…

I just don’t get people saying they can’t find things on the app… It’s like moving to a new town and saying you can’t shop at the supermarket because it’s not laid out like the one you used to shop at. Go up and down the aisles and visit a few times and you’ll get used to where things are…

Because the new app makes no sense how they laid it out, it’s clunky 

My Pixel 8 is fine this morning. Seems things are back to being “non-crashy" for the moment.

Maybe the app was having issues with the CrowdStrike outage, i e, calling some server, maybe for Meta data, and it couldn't handle the response….🤷‍♂️