Skip to main content

How do I fix it?  I have an iphone with the new app, my spouse has an iphone with the old gold app, our music is in an itunes folder on a windows laptop.  The music library is gone on all of them, and I get Error 913 when I try to add the music folder back to Sonos on the laptop.  Our speakers are useless without this - we don’t use streaming services, just our music library.  Do I need to get rid of the Sonos system now because local music isn’t an option anymore???

Sonos software updates every 4 or 5 months disconnect my Dell desktop iTunes library. The nice help desk people have no idea how to fix this problem. Every help desk call requires an hour plus wait time and then 30 minutes of fumbling before giving up. Help desk support on this problem is a waste of time.

How could a company that advertises itself as providing a great customer experience continue to allow this to happen? 

Clearly Sonos has a software problem. The question is whether or not the company cares to fix it and/or has the resources to do so.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative to a Dell desktop iTunes storage location?

My iTunes library on an older WD ‘MyCloud’ device (NAS, and one that you can set the version of SMB in use on) continues to work. I’d take the assumption that any SMB v2 or 3 running NAS would work, if you can’t get the Windows box to be recognized. 

I’m on iPad but saved my playlists on Sonos app, not iTunes, will the fix work for me?  I don’t get an error code, I can’t even see my playlists. 

@Pacific Jim , this post might help you. 

FWIW, I think your issue isn’t iTunes or PC specifically related, but an issue with windows access. But I’m guessing. 

@Ken 354 , I don’t think the issue you’re experiencing is where your playlist is, but where the music files delineated in the playlist are stored. Again, I’m guessing.

There are several other threads I’ve seen that show other methods (I think) of providing access. While I do have a Windows box for gaming, all of my music access is on an NAS and Apple products. 

Thanks for responding.  I talked to support the other day, they couldn’t find my files either.  I’m now escalated to level 2,  frustrating…

My Sonos system cannot see my iTunes library although they are available on my computer. If there is a fix to this problem the support people I have talked to do not know it.

I don’t know how you build a music app that doesn’t let people keep their playlists, boggles one’s mind.  Rumor is they are going to transition in to a subscription service streaming app.  

This app “Hi-Fi Cast - Music Player” works for me on android. It does have some popups and it’s not intuitive but it works perfectly. Removed sonos from my windows 11 PC with much joy!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.findhdmusic.app.upnpcast

There are others, people seem to like SONOFY but it is $5 and I didn’t go that route yet.

Droidly, I looked on App Store, not available there.  

They are going to have to do what Microsoft does……...create a WHOLE NEW SYSTEM as the one they have now is so buggy, that they can’t predict what can mess up.  Start from Scratch and get it right.

Sonos support says, the reason for this breakage is that they have ended support for http and SMBv1 protocols (surprise!). Your network share must use SMBv2 or SMBv3 protocol. This is something you would adjust on the device which is doing the sharing. If, as in my case, this is not a Windows system, the proposed fix for Windows PCs will not be useful even if you are using the Windows application. So for instance, in my case, since my music is on a flash drive plugged into a Netgear router, I would go to the router administration page in my browser (192.168.1.1 in my case) and see whether there’s a way to select the SMB version level.

I am * FURIOUS.

After the * steaming pile of * that is their new iOS was snuck onto my phone, I at least had the foresight to turn off auto updates of my iPad, and I had my Mac controller to still use my local library _ WHICH IS THE ONLY GODDAMN MUSIC I CARE ABOUT.

Now these * * have removed my local library from the Mac controller.

ANY LAWYERS TROLLING THIS DUMPSTER FIRE LOOKING FOR PLAINTIFFS: MY HAND IS RAISED.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I am * FURIOUS.

After the * steaming pile of * that is their new iOS was snuck onto my phone, I at least had the foresight to turn off auto updates of my iPad, and I had my Mac controller to still use my local library _ WHICH IS THE ONLY GODDAMN MUSIC I CARE ABOUT.

Now these * * have removed my local library from the Mac controller.

ANY LAWYERS TROLLING THIS DUMPSTER FIRE LOOKING FOR PLAINTIFFS: MY HAND IS RAISED.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I just want to say that I have had the same problem, and your comment fully encapsulates my rage so well. If I could like your comment more than once I would. I’ve tried everything to get the Sonos controller continuously functional, and literally every time I restart my computer it “forgets” my library, or somehow resets my permissions and sharing settings. It then takes me at least 30 minutes to remove, re-add, and sync my music library… and that was on a GOOD day when the app actually “worked.” This latest development has shredded my final thread of patience. I’ve got music from CDs I bought in the 90’s on my computer and a large collection of music on which I’ve spent hundreds of dollars. Why would I want to pay to hear random crap on a streaming service when I have a perfectly curated playlist from the last 30 years of my life at my fingertips?

JasperStead, My hand is raised.

Thanks for responding.  I talked to support the other day, they couldn’t find my files either.  I’m now escalated to level 2,  frustrating…

How do you escalate to level 2 support? Do you have to wait 70 minutes to talk to this support?

Pacific Jim, I only got to level 2 support after level 1 support was no help.  I waited an hour on hold, spent an hour with support who failed to help.  Only after they couldn’t do anything for me did I get escalated to level 2.  

You are fortunate to wait only one hour. Level one in Manila is not trained to repair our problem.

It is unknown if management is aware of this problem and if they do, do they care?

Let people know please if level 2 solves this problem.  

How do you escalate to level 2 support? Do you have to wait 70 minutes to talk to this support?

Yes, I waited for 70 minutes before I attempted to help the help desk person solve my problem for 30 minutes. I was told that customer help calls are assigned randomly, likely the first person available.

Assuming there is a fix, people in Manila do not know how to correct this problem. 

This is a reoccurring Sonos issue that occurs for me every 4 or 5 months (January was the last time). My usual wait time is an hour. Overall, customer support for lost iTunes music is a lost cause.

It is a surprise that there is no management attention to this problem and these posts.    

Pacific Jim, I will post if level 2 helps but I’m not getting my hopes up.  Level 1 did diagnostics which showed nothing, did the uninstall then reinstall, and then try it on the website, pretty basic stuff. 

Management definitely is aware, doesn’t care, but is aware.  Management has moved on to selling headphones, we are yesterday’s news.  

This customer complaint site may not be monitored by people who have the ability to make the corrections we need. I recommend people USPS write the CEO about their problem like I have. His name and address is below.

Patric Spence

Chief Executive Officer

Sonos Corporation Inc.

614 Chapala Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

BTW, the internet says that his annual Sonos income is $5+M. 

This obviously is a hot steaming stinking mess. 

I definitely got the sense the basic customer service agents are there to take abuse, let you vent your frustration, apologize, and say we are working on it, not much more.  

I’m sure the CEO is aware of the discontent but he is referring to it as a vocal 1%.  He is doubling down that this is a great app with a few growing pains.  In my experience that means his people told him not to put out the app till it was ready but he overruled them and now feels he can’t back down.  He can’t throw anyone under the bus because he is the one who decided to drive the bus off the cliff over the objections of his people.  

My guess is his plan is to ride out the app storm and hope the headphone sales numbers are good.  If the headphone numbers are good he tells the board of directors he saved the company and downplays any app complaints.  The reality is the complaints will eventually end.  Might be because people gave up but he can still present lower complaint numbers that they fixed everybody’s problems.  He will spin (lie) it was a rough app start that they quickly responded to and fixed.  He is already claiming 99% of the people love the app, so he obviously has no problems lying.  So me and people like me have soured on Sonos but how that translates in to lost future sales is hard to quantify.  A CEO who can fool the board with some smoke and mirrors can survive, especially noting most boards are CEO friendly if not actual friends of the CEO.  

So in my opinion telling the CEO is effective if he isn’t aware of the problem but not effective if he is the problem, and I think he is the problem.  Need to write the chairman of the board if my premise is correct.  

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

This is so stupid but it worked, i already been there setting it to “all”  so i was sure it would work, but instead your have to chose the sonos wireless option…but thx. it worked!

What a poor performance by Sonos.  Here is a cheap workaround.

Step 1 - Go on amazon and purchase a bluetooth reciever.  They are not expensive and there are many choices.  When it comes, go to your stereo cabinet and unplug the RCA plugs from your Sonos Port or Connect and plug them into the bluetooth device.  Unplug your Sonos Port or Connect and plug in the Bluetooth device.  Pair it with your iPhone or iPad and proceed to play your music through your stereo.

Step 2 - optional.  Take your Sonos device to goodwill and drop it off or alternatively stick it in a closet and periodically look at the internet comments to see if they ever fix the problem.