Answered

Updates removed my local music library and now I get Error code 913

Show first post

217 replies

Update dropped my connection and I was getting the 913 error as well. Followed directions from HelpingisKind on Windows 11, in case anyone is on that OS. Same idea, need to go to “Advanced Sharing” under Properties > Sharing in my music folder. But instead of “Choose people to share with..” I get a popup with a checkbox for “Share this folder”. Checking that and giving it a name (chose “Music”) seemed to work. Did not get the error message and now is in the process of syncing. Got a ton of music so this is likely gonna run overnight. But looks promising and has the same spinning wheel as I got when setting this up the first time.

I have a MAC.  My SONOS stopped reading my music library after the update.  Very frustrating...

On Mac:

1. Go to System Setting > General > Sharing
  2. Turn on File Sharing and click info icon next to it
  3. Add your library folder to the Shared Folders section
  4. Click Options down the bottom of the dialog and turn on Windows File Sharing for your user

In Sonos app:

1. Add library folder using Networked Device option
  2. Path is the below, formatted as per examples
    • your computer hostname (you can find this at the bottom of System Setting > General) plus
    • name of library folder you added above
  3. Enter computer username and password and you should be good to go

This worked for me - but songs aren’t actually showing up.  It did add the folder though.

Regardless, i’m one step further along.  Here are some additional details that were required and can hopefully help someone.

The folder I’m sharing has a long file path.  It’s technically

Macintosh HD>Users>jacisme>Music>Music>Media>Music

When adding it as a network device, I typed it as follows:

\\MacJackMini\Music\Music\Media\Music

Other things I did previously that I’m not sure affected anything, but so you’re aware:

Restarted sonos app and computer multiple times

Tried giving Sonos app full disk access for the entire computer

Tried sharing a cleaner file path

Tried sharing a new folder on my desktop with a single song in it

Tried adding it as a local library

Tried editing permissions via “Get Info” menu vs “System Settings.’  FYI “system settings” route is more responsive even though it doesn’t feel like it’s saving anything.

In my Shared Folders area of System Settings, the Music folder I’m sharing now has TWO separate sonos “users” in there, both with Read & Write permissions

Another update - my Plex connection broke during this update even after reauthorizing the connection.  Not sure why - but after deleting all the old authorizations from the plex website, and then reauthorizing plex, I found that the solution was I needed my Eero router to open port 32400 on my mac mini (which I use as the plex media server).  That computer needs to have a static IP, which it already had, but now it required port 32400 to be open.  Opening that immediately solved the start/stop pretend to start / freezing issues of plex in the sonos app.  I continue to be enraged at Sonos.  I’ve now wasted 4 hours today attempting to fix problems that they knew they were creating.  

Userlevel 1

I have so many Sonos products!  This company is a big let down.  I would not tell anyone to buy Sonos after this disastrous update.  I was assured by someone from India on tech support that my music would connect and it does not!  This company after a couple of thousand dollars of purchases is garbage.  Mid June...you gotta be kidding me!  So many useless, stupid updates!  The best part is I have all this Sonos equipment that doesn't work and today I get an email to buy their wireless headphones,  You gotta be kidding me!  

Badge

I don’t think you can fix this issue. its hard to believe but apparently the latest version doesn’t include the option to add music from a local library.

I understand the latest “upgrade” is a complete rewrite of the Sonos app designed to make listening to my music more rewarding. Only trouble is it will not actually connect to or play music from my iMac music library. So if thats your only source that you play from, forget it.

I may be missing the point but it’s not quite correct that the latest version of their app “doesn’t include the option to play music from a local library”. It’s just rather hidden away by default. If I scroll right to the bottom of the main page of the app I can see Your Sources > Music Library

This is of course after I’ve jumped through all the hoops listed elsewhere in this thread to get the system to access my local music library - which is indeed a completely crazy situation. 

It is also possible to promote the Your Sources section to be at the top of the page instead but I can only assume that Sonos see streaming services as the more common way to consume music these days, hence promoting those services by default.

I don’t think you can fix this issue. its hard to believe but apparently the latest version doesn’t include the option to add music from a local library.

I understand the latest “upgrade” is a complete rewrite of the Sonos app designed to make listening to my music more rewarding. Only trouble is it will not actually connect to or play music from my iMac music library. So if thats your only source that you play from, forget it.

I may be missing the point but it’s not quite correct that the latest version of their app “doesn’t include the option to play music from a local library”. It’s just rather hidden away by default. If I scroll right to the bottom of the main page of the app I can see Your Sources > Music Library

This is of course after I’ve jumped through all the hoops listed elsewhere in this thread to get the system to access my local music library - which is indeed a completely crazy situation. 

It is also possible to promote the Your Sources section to be at the top of the page instead but I can only assume that Sonos see streaming services as the more common way to consume music these days, hence promoting those services by default.

I think you’re either on android or have a beta version even if you don’t know it.  I don’t have that section in mine, and it’s not in the list when I go into “edit home”

Badge

I think you’re either on android or have a beta version even if you don’t know it.  I don’t have that section in mine, and it’s not in the list when I go into “edit home”

That’s an interesting point. My phone is indeed running Android and the screenshot above was from that. So I just installed the latest app on my wife’s iPad and I see the Your Sources > Music Library section on that device too:

I’m not intentionally running any Beta versions, just the standard downloads from the Apple App and the Google Play stores

The Android app version reports as:

I can’t figure out where to find the version number of the ipadOS app! 

Userlevel 2

Hylus

Re my comment, I didnt make it up … it was a Sonos service agent who told me via a web chat that the latest update doesn’t include the option to play music from a local library”.

Take a look at this Sonos info …

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

You’ll see it says Local music library search and playback: mid-June

Re my system I know exactly what I’ve got. My music library is in the music file on my iMac running on the latest version of MacOS Monterey.

My Sonos software is also bang up to date, but it doesn’t look like your screen shot … are you using a phone ? tablet ? I’ve also stupidly loaded the latest Sonos app on my iPad and the home screen looks much the same as yours … but no option I can find to install from my music library. I only get Your Services not Your Sources

Nothing appears under Your Services as shown on your screen shot. 

So I’m still mystified

Badge

My suspicion is that the Sonos Service Agent and the Feature Update article are both referring to the 913 problem - which this thread is really about. The apps themselves (both Android and iOS) are capable of plying music from a Local Music Library but the option only appears in the app if the “Sonos music library server” running on your Mac, PC or NAS is configured to access your music. I just confirmed this by deleting the folders from my Music Library in the Sonos Settings on my PC and the Music Library option disappeared from the Your Sources section of the app, only leaving the Line-in (from my Sonos Play5).

After adding the folders back in to the “Sonos music library server” on my PC, the Music Library option reappeared in the Your Sources section of the app, although it did require waiting for a few minutes and a restart of the app.

As mentioned originally, I did first have to go through the crazy sharing settings config detailed at length in this thread for the music folders to be accessible.

To conclude, my point is that the apps aren’t at fault here, it’s the Sonos software which serves up the music files which is the problem. Obviously most people won’t care about this and just see that local music is no longer an option which is of course very frustrating. But if you’re technically minded and want to correct this right away without waiting for the Sonos update in mid June then it may be possible to fix.  

I’m confused. I get the issue with a search, but I still am playing my NAS based playlist from the new app, without issue. On each speaker. 

Badge

The weird thing is that the developers appear to have allowed for music files on shared drives (such as a NAS) but forgotten about files on a local drive. That could be why it’s necessary to enable file sharing for a simple local drive but files on a NAS (which are always shared) just keep on working. This is just a guess as I no longer have a NAS to test with.

Or perhaps the turning off of HTTP (maybe?) and SMB v1?

Userlevel 2

I found a weird silver lining to this debacle: For me at least, just using my Sonos speakers with Apple Airplay seems to work better than the Sonos software did (back when it worked at all).

Sonos come to your senses - you are a very good acoustician, that’s what you do, don’t force us to use what media and how we should listen to music! This is a completely different story and it’s unlikely that I personally would have bought your system if I could have imagined that you would forbid me to listen to my favorite music saved on my computer!!!

I guess it won’t help to pile on? Like all of you on this thread I’m a frequent listener of my own library of music that contains ample bootlegs and my own home recordings and demos after being in bands for many years. So yea, this is a problem Sonos. I guess you thought everyone just listened to Spotify? I thought it was just an issue with the mobile app which I’ve been able to avoid having update automatically on my phone. But I guess my OS app updated on my Mac and now I’m still screwed like everyone else.

Userlevel 2

Hylus

Defending  the indefensible ? Why do we all have to jump thru technological mysteries to make a simple software system work properly ? All I want to do is play my music that I’ve built over a number of years. The data is there where it’s always been. Nothing has changed other than Sonos reinventing a wheel that wasn’t broken. I will never buy another Sonos product again and I plan to eBay what I’ve got. 

I’ve corresponded with Sonos for several years about their software and never found them to be remotely understanding of the problems encountered. Every time they’ve blamed it on something other than their own developments. I completely fail to understand how any company large or small can be so bad at what they do. 

I have worked in the IT industry for a lot of years and couldn’t be more critical of Sonos … not just this latest farce but other software iterations previously. The company has no concept of industry good practice … doesn’t matter how good your hardware is, if the software is crap then the result is crap.

goodbye Sonos … 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I only listen to my saved music that’s why I bought Sonos products, had I known they were going to do this I never would have bought anything from them.  With the new app I can see my saved albums but when I click on them I get an error message.  All my playlist are missing nowhere to be seen.  I called support today.  Sat on hold for an hour then talked to a rep for another hour.  They had me uninstall and install again, ran two diagnostics and after another hour they said I will be escalated to level 2 who will call me back, no resolution.  So all my playlist are missing, I can’t open any saved albums but I do have three saved songs that play.  So I have three subs, two arcs and two play ones that can now only play three songs. I don’t feel mad I feel betrayed.  Anger I would get over, but the sense of betrayal will stay with me until I sell my last Sonos speaker.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Exact same issue - I think we are approaching class action lawsuit time.

Is it possible to roll back updates?

I’m hoping this is just some idiot tech team mistake and not some sort of strategic blackmail to force subscriptions to their services.

I was just commenting to my wife yesterday that since we’re moving to a new house we might want to consider moving away from Sonos for our whole house system. Man, did they make that a no-brainer or what?

Any lawyers out there?

Seriously - Does anyone know the process for launching a class-action lawsuit?

I have a couple of thousand $$$ invested in a music system that might as well be a toaster for all I can get out of it (except the toast part).

If someone has a way to file an action, count me in!

In the meantime, I have a Play 5 and four Play 1's I'm looking to offload.

I'm not a streaming music expert and have zero interest in any app or service other than streaming my own library of mp3's & mp4's from my PC (Windows 10) hard drive.

I do have iTunes (which I loathe) but I store most of my music independently and that's the music library these clowns zapped with their idiotic update.

I'm now actively looking for a solid (S)o-no(S) alternative for my new house - Any thoughts?

I have followed all the advice here and have managed to upgrade my 913 error to a 1002 error.  Still no sign of my music library.  Any clues on the 1002 error?  The unhelpful Sonos FAQ says it has something to do with the network connection, but as the library is on my hard drive, it seems unlikely…. Running a MacBook M2 with Sonoma 14.5

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Sadly I don’t believe it was a mistake which makes the whole situation so infuriating.  They knew this app wasn’t ready but they needed it out because the app is what the new headphones will use, and they are betting on the headphones to boost sagging sales and save the company.  Classic example of chasing new money at the expense of existing customers, I mean they already have our money so who cares if we leave.  

Sonos is not doing well, sales are down and they missed their earnings numbers last quarter.  I’m sure they are moving in the direction of a subscription model.  Why else would they have to build a new app from the ground up?   There is no revenue better than constant revenue, subscription is the goose that lays a monthly golden egg.  They will probably do something like amazon music did.  Still offer a bare bones basic model for free then charge for anything worthwhile.  

I also thought/hope for a class action lawsuit.  A month a a half before I can listen to my music sounds like something I should be compensated for. 

I found a weird silver lining to this debacle: For me at least, just using my Sonos speakers with Apple Airplay seems to work better than the Sonos software did (back when it worked at all).

That only works on newer speakers. I have legacy speakers (14 throughout my house), and only a few of the newer ones can be accessed via AirPlay.

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

Thank you!! I now have my Music Library back on my iOS device. 

How do I fix it?  I have an iphone with the new app, my spouse has an iphone with the old gold app, our music is in an itunes folder on a windows laptop.  The music library is gone on all of them, and I get Error 913 when I try to add the music folder back to Sonos on the laptop.  Our speakers are useless without this - we don’t use streaming services, just our music library.  Do I need to get rid of the Sonos system now because local music isn’t an option anymore???

I was also angry, but thanks for PaulRB371, I tried the method to allow Music Folder permission and it worked!

Please right-click on the Music Folder > Properties > Advanced Sharing > Add Sonos Wireless HiFi System to Read/Write:

Brilliant! I just managed to add my music to the library again by using the share setup, even simply by selecting Sonos Wi-Fi in the dropdown. How come such a company screws up their customer that big. Any attempt to become a content money maker sur i-Tunes by not allowing to use local sources even if they say it’s about security? Not happy at all. I’m glad the solution was shared here. Back to relaxing with nice music rather than being annoyed with searching for a solution for hours.

I’m not the techiest guy in the world, but the example above is Windows, right? Is there a similar fix for iOS?

I’ve tried some of the things others have posted, but I still can’t get Sonos to access my more than 40,000 music files. 🫤

I’m not the techiest guy in the world, but the example above is Windows, right? Is there a similar fix for iOS?

I’ve tried some of the things others have posted, but I still can’t get Sonos to access my more than 40,000 music files. 🫤

I also have a iOS device and followed the directions above and now I have access to my library.