Skip to main content
Answered

New SONOS iOS app (May 2024) is TOTAL RUBBISH!!

The New Sonos iOS app is absolutely terrible. If you haven’t upgraded yet please please don’t. There are so many missing features and bugs to boot. It looks like an pre-Alpha version of software rushed to market without being properly tested or checked.
PLEASE PLEASE  PLEASE Sonos bring back the S2 app for download on the App Store. If I could downgrade I would do it in a heartbeat. I’m a long time user and fan of Sonos products but frankly this is a big miss a disaster. This new app is almost unusable. This is Sonos’s Windows Vista moment. 
Please listen to your users Sonos, negative feedback is everywhere now. Please give us back the S2 app whilst this one goes back to the drawing board or perhaps the trash can.  

260 replies

The new app is total rubbish. 

I agree totally.  Fortunately I found a suggested alternative that I just tried and it works great for me. The app is “SonoPad” and cost $5.00 and certainly worth it. Unfortunately it's made only for iPad and not iPhone or Mac PC. I primarily use my iPad so it's fine with me. If others are interested I highly recommend it.  It may take a while to get to know it but it connects to my NAS with ease.  Love it.

The new app is rubbish. I mostly stream from my NAS drive. The new app cannot hold a shortcut to the NAS, when I browse to it and go to scroll through the folders/ artists, it takes forever as there is no sidebar scroll to allow going quickly A to Z. Also when I choose a track in a folder it only plays that track and no others in the folder. I've abandoned using the app and now use a 3rd party streaming app, the only downside is my mobile needs to be constantly on for this to work. 

Use this link for android 

https://d.apkpure.com/b/APK/com.sonos.acr2?versionCode=780151031

Thank you so much! you are a life saver !!!! I am back to the last version and everything works again!!!!! 🙏🙏🙏

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I agree totally.  Fortunately I found a suggested alternative that I just tried and it works great for me. The app is “SonoPad” and cost $5.00 and certainly worth it. Unfortunately it's made only for iPad and not iPhone or Mac PC. I primarily use my iPad so it's fine with me. If others are interested I highly recommend it.  It may take a while to get to know it but it connects to my NAS with ease.  Love it.

The iPhone version is called “SonoPhone” and also works seamlessly with NAS on local networks. Their sales must be booming! Shame that SonoPad only does landscape orientation (so far as I know).

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

SonoPhone was only £1.99 last week, the dev must be jacking up price due to the volume of new purchasers.

They have got to be only person in the world that are grateful for this app release 😂

Userlevel 3

Re SonoPhone and SonoPad pricing, the developer actually reduced the price to £1.99 for a week, so he’s not hiking the price now, just going back to his normal pricing. You can load SonoPhone to an iPad to get portrait orientation. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve been a Sonos device owner for 10+ years. When they work, I love them. Unfortunately, they don’t work reliably enough for the love to overcome my frustration.

To make matters worse, the software connection issues have deteriorated over the past year or so.

Virtually every-time I try to play music or a podcast over my home system, I have to waste time plugging and unplugging devices (I have 11 devices), rebooting the router, signing in/out and deleting/reinstalling the app, etc.  At least in the past, if I had sufficient time to waste, I was able to get the damn system to work. Since the new app update, FUGGEDDABOUDIT; no connection, 11 paperweights plugged in and wasting energy.

Sonos how about some support?

Userlevel 2

Agreed the new app just so sucks on so many front. I’ve given up on it. I came here to see if I could find work around for this and other issues I have and was amazed how many others are having even more. Issues. It was good while it lasted. 

Userlevel 2

What happened to the bass and treble settings and sub reference levels?!?!?!?

Userlevel 1

Agree 100%. Half of my speakers fail to load in the app. I'm met with error after error when trying to play music and playlists on my services. It's slow, clunky and confused. Who the hell do I have to contact to demand that they sort this out, revert to the previous imperfect but functional app, or demand a refund and/or threaten legal action towards a company which will happily take my money but then render their products unusable?

Does the management really hate us, the customers? Take a sabbatical! Since the days Sonos wanted to shut down functional speakers of the first generation with a new app and “generously” wanted to give us a “discount” of 30% to buy new ones (sustainability - or how do we call hypocrisy nowadays?) I have totally lost every confidence in this company and never bought a speaker anymore. This non-app is the next full strike against us. Except the insignificant Roam this new version does not even find the devices. Yes, science!

Userlevel 1

It’s gotten so bad ….

My outdoor speakers started playing on their own at 10:30 at night  

Opened the app

Couldn’t connect

Only way I could turn them off was to pull the plug  

May be an omen for Sonos, fix it or everyone will Pull the Plug 

Userlevel 2

Do the right thing Sonos - sort this out as this is not acceptable ! Who is responsible for this massive mistake you have destroyed so much good faith. Has to be one of the biggest corporate own goals of all time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Is there anyway to roll back to the old version? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

What happened to the bass and treble settings and sub reference levels?!?!?!?

I can still use bass and treble and sub level with my setup, however the balance slider doesn't work 

I fully agree with the negative statements to the new Sonos IoS app. That is absolutely week. Sonos: Please roll back to the former version or provide the original features of the last app.

Random Functions in the music library and the particular fomders

Search bar at the right hand side of the screen A-Z

If not, I have to change to Spotify!!

Thanks

Userlevel 1

So glad to login and find I am not alone.  The new app is horrible.  What were you people thinking?  You took a perfectly good app and totally screwed it up and removed some of its best features.  If I didn’t have so much invested in the hardware I would throw the whole thing out I find another service.

Userlevel 1

A central point seems to be missed in all the feedback: what we paid for / purchased. 

the speakers are largely useless without the app and supporting interfaces. So in essence, sonos has broken the brand promise and should refund on demand if we cant use it as promised. Anyone notice the voice feature on the soundbars is gone? Its no better then run of the mill 2 channel now. 

maybe forget the useless app enhancements and go all in on open connectivity with other network streaming platforms. The hardware is good, better then most, focus on that and reduce the price. (You may have to anyway when a tsunami of used equipment hits the market). 

clearly software is not the focus at Sonos. 

Has anyone had any luck with C/S with a response? I stayed on hold on the phone for 30 min, the got a chat going but it turned out to be sales who wasn’t much help at all. He called me so I hung up and lost my place in line and now am back on hold with what maybe a 60 min hold period.  lolz this is just crazy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

This is class action lawsuit bad.

Lol. Give me a break. 

SONOS...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOURSELF?!

I understand upgrades are necessary and meant to improve the user experience, but did the team think this one through? It needs significant help. There is a delay in volume response and grouping/ungrouping speakers (to name a few issues). It’s pretty frustrating.  Your product is in a league of its own and is considered superior to the rest of the competition. This is unacceptable. I’m hoping the team is addressing issues quickly. My loyalty hangs in the balance.

If I could, I would go back to the prior version of the app and wait until all the bugs are fixed.

To the community, if you have not upgraded your SONOS app, I would advise you to wait.

Userlevel 2

New SONOS App triggers complaint to CEO

This is the first time using the SONOS community board but I echo the sentiments of everyone who’s posting about how awful the new app is.  I’m not sure if anyone from SONOS reads these conversation so I have sent the below email to the CEO (the link to contact him is on the web page) to tell him of my frustration and disappointment.  Maybe if we all email him directly it will effect change quicker.

******EMAIL******

Dear Mr Spence,

I would like you to understand the frustration and sense of loss your latest app upgrade has had on your customers.  Unlike in the days of old where you could buy a speaker and connect it to your device without the need of apps, WiFi or Bluetooth, we are now beholden to your company for the lifetime of our home entertainment audio needs.  That should come with a sense of duty, care and responsibility to ensure your products continue to function as they were originally sold to us.

I for one cannot do the most basic of tasks through the latest app.  Setting an alarm for instance or using a sleep timer now is beyond the app’s ability.  These functions were available on my relatively cheap and basic LCD alarm clock in the 80’s and after investing thousands on a system and company that seems to pride itself on its products I am quite frankly bewildered that such simple and everyday functions are now no longer available to me.

I should very much appreciate you passing this on to your app team with the hope they will make it their priority to return these functions post-haste. 

Yours

Richard

With the new "update", adjusting the volume is now a 2-3 step process!! Don't developers try out their brainwave "improvements" before subjecting us to them?!!

It's like when I watch a garbage movie and wonder if ANY of the directors and producers actually watched the movie before releasing it...

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I thought I had sorted my problems by going back to 16.1, on my android phone. BUT 3 times in the last 5 days it has updated back to the new crAPP. So I have uninstalled it and put 16.1 back on every time and I search all the setting in the app and on my phone to remove any auto updates and today it still managed to update to the new crAPP.

Cant they just leave us alone until they have sorted this dire peice of junk out?