Skip to main content

New app volume control issue

Updated to the new app yesterday.  When I try to use the volume sliders on a group of speakers, or individual speakers within the group, the volume does not change and the slider just pops back to the previous position.  Tried repeatedly to get it to work, no luck.

Anyone else?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

117 replies

This new update has turned a beautiful sound experience into a very frustrating mess. Fix asap please if you care about your customers.

My entire sonos system (Arc, Sub, and two surrounds) have disappeared from the app. I am not able to adjust the bass, surrounds, etc., anymore. Is this an issue everyone is having as well? 

Badge

I have an issue where I have added a zone to another but the volume control for the added zone is not available. Anyone else experiencing this?

Same issue. The feature of tapping to bring up the option of adjusting each individual speaker in the group seems to have gone. 

The delay in changing volume is unacceptable. 

The ‘jumping’ of the volume back to where it was after trying to adjust is a very poor UX. 

Mine does the same. I have had embarrassing situations where I've tried to turn the volume down to speak / answer a phonecall and the volume has gone down then sprung back to loud again. Only since the new app.

New app, when I want to increase the general sound of the chosen speakers each one has a different value, everything should have the same value, what a big mess for an app that should be more functional

Badge

The volume should be adjustable for any zone on a group. I have usually have three zones grouped but one of them has a lower volume in the bar area. With the new app it seems I can’t adjust it at all!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I find the volume control really unresponsive and it keeps disappearing before I have been able to move a slider. It might work better if you repeatedly tap to the right of the slider rather than trying to slide it to increase volume.That is go tap tap tap tap tap… I don’t like it. It is a real time waster.

Badge

Crazy app,  the volume for each zone on my system seems to have returned; maybe it will disappear again at the weekend when I need it? You couldn’t make it up 😂

What a disaster.  The app is now worthless.  Volume jumping, no volume, connection issues, etc, etc.  You name the issue and I’m experiencing it.  I had zero issues with the previous app.

Finally bought the Amp for my pool. Just hooked it up and the lack of ability to control the volume is a show stopper. Will give this a month and it goes back if not fixed. 

Yup, same here, could they have made a worse decision than to take this away?- A Sonos dealer

Every app upgrade since the S1 controller has effectively been a downgrade to me: more unresponsive with every new version, now I can't even use the volume for all speakers in s single room, only per pair ?! I wonder if the people at Sonos are using their own apps at all?!

I am beginning to regret ever having bought into this system...

Userlevel 1

Same here - terrible volume control  Jumping back and untesponsive

I'm having the same frustrating volume and slow response issues on the app. I have Sonos on my computer and it didn’t get an update so it has the previous version. You might want to try using your computer for now until there’s a fix. It’s not ideal but much less frustrating.

Userlevel 2

Crazy app,  the volume for each zone on my system seems to have returned; maybe it will disappear again at the weekend when I need it? You couldn’t make it up 😂

Every time I return to the app, after a briefly going anywhere else, like to mail or to Spotify to change songs, or I close the phone for 10 minutes, when I return the app paused, with no background updates, and it hangs for 5-15 seconds, with the volume controls being unresponsive while it SLOW fetches the data. Or if the sliders respond, they’ll jump back again when the current song status Finally updates! The individual sliders are much better than the single volume group control, but I’ve seen individual volume sliders jump two to three times after songs update.

No other app is this slow to update, and even Sonos’ own older apps were SO much better. 

The volume jumping can cause chaos for my guests, and now my girlfriend refuses to let me use the system when she’s here. She just plays the TV by itself, or music on her phone. I now have a pile of useless tech statues.

Sonos apparently doesn’t want to listen, so I’m writing a blog post on how bad this is. 

Cannot use volume control, app upgrade is terrible! 

when will there be a fix for volume control. 

This new update has turned a beautiful sound experience into a very frustrating mess. Fix asap please if you care about your customers.

The new upgrade has made the system unusable when it comes to the TV. Unable to use the car line! Sonos should be ashamed, in this da and age it should be reasonably simple for their designers to get this correct. They clearly don’t read the reviews as nothing has been done to rectify the issue!! 

Userlevel 2

Most of these posts are from a month ago, but I am still struggling with the app.

Two main issues

The volume slider is completely unresponsive. I move it, it seems to stick, and then a couple of seconds later the slider jumps back to where it was. Sometimes the actual sound changes, but mostly it doesn't. 

Second problem. All my music is on my local NAS. I can play an album at a time. But I can't add a second album to the queue. It comes up with an error message which, loosely interpreted, says "sorry for you but stop being so demanding and come back when your first album is finished". 

These are just the main two issues for me, but generally the app is unresponse, laggy and unintuitive. Sonos is no longer my go too recommendation when it comes to music solutions. I guess I'll hold off upgrading for the foreseeable.... 

And no, I don't want any of your headphones, thanks. I've already got good ones, and don't think of them as logically part of my Sonos world. 

Cheers

Ken

This is by far the worse update that any company has ever done, my Arc, Move, outdoor speakers (sonos amp with speakers) and my selves volume levers don’t work and now my Arc on TV can’t be controlled on tv now.

This was by far the best sounding system now getting ripped apart by the horrible software.  Please, lets move back to old version or I am going to take this back to where I bought it….

Userlevel 2

Turns out I need to add a third issue - neither my wife nor I could shut down or change the volume of our two speakers in the kitchen so we ended up with the music blarring at cooking volume while eating. Eventually my kitchen speakers dissappeared completely from the app, so I had to go under the kitchen cupboards to turn the power off. What a mess! Lovely speakers ruined.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have the same issue plus one other that I’ve noticed. The base volume level of sound keeps changing to the point where I have to increase the speaker volume to compensate. I used to put my speakers about 28 or 30 now to compensate because the base volume level keeps changing I have to set it up to 50+.
I also had a strange problem where the volume slider disappears for one set of speakers it shows on the other three but I’m unable to set the volume on one set because the volume slider is gone.

At least at this point I can almost use this new Sonos. During the first release of the application I couldn’t get anything to work this release has helped but as I said above it still very quirky .  I’ve been leaning heavily on the free SonoPad on the apples application site. SonoPad is a very primitive application but at least it works although it does take a little getting used to. You have to remove the Sonos app to run the SonoPad and vice versa.  But at least it’s an alternative for those of us that are pulling what’s left of our hair out trying to get the Sonos app to work well enough that we can actually listen to our music.

I do like my Sonos system when it works. I just wish that Sonos would admit yes we made a mistake guys and we’re doing our best to fix it but if you listen to their phone message when you go to the section for questions about the new application the first thing they say is to upsell the new app then they finally acknowledged that they’re listening to us and gotten to fix the old app. The thing that gets me is they’re still trying to upsell this new application. 

Hey Sonos if you wanna make it up to your registered customers For this disaster application update, why not offer a 30% one time discount on your Sonos products.

Userlevel 2

Yeah, not interested in buying more Sonos gear at this moment in time. I imagine that the second-hand market has collapsed right now!

All I want is for these simple things to be fixed. Is that too much to ask?

• I am tired of having to wait for someone to get off the toilet and come and approve my simple request to alter the volume of my speakers. Why can't I just do it myself? In real time?
  • When I’m done listening to Taylor Swift (and I know this is going to be controversial) I'm done listening to Taylor. I simply want to be able to pause her. Even if it's mid-sentence!
  • And I don't want my speakers, of which I have plenty, randomly disappearing, sending me scurrying around the house checking that they haven’t been stolen. Although referring to my earlier point about the second-hand market, I guess that’s becoming increasingly unlikely!
  • And, if I feel like listening to more than one Taylor Swift album from my NAS, one after the other, then I would REALLY like to be able to set the system up to do that. I know that for most people that’s an unlikely circumstance, but that’s how it is for me - I haven’t yet moved to that new-fangled cloud stuffs, and I'm not a Spotty(fy) teenager any more!
  • And, as time increasingly runs out for me, I really hate having to hang around, waiting for the app to wake up and respond. I just don't have that time available to waste - I'd much rather think about what I am going to have for my evening meal!

Please, Sonos, I don't want more kit. Or a discount on some headphones I don't want.

I just want the kit I have spent a lot of money and love on working like it used to. Is that too much to ask?

I would also like some communication from you, letting me know that you hear me, that you feel my pain, and that you are responding to it. In this instance, silence is NOT golden!

Kind regards

Ken

Omfg this app makes the Sonos system unusable. It takes over a minute to adjust the volume on my new iPhone.  Trash. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Can’t believe they cannot fix this very basic feature.  WTFF! 

Music Playback

PLAY

PAUSE

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL

VOLUME CONTROL