Skip to main content

New app volume control issue

Updated to the new app yesterday.  When I try to use the volume sliders on a group of speakers, or individual speakers within the group, the volume does not change and the slider just pops back to the previous position.  Tried repeatedly to get it to work, no luck.

Anyone else?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

117 replies

Same issue. Please switch back to the old app until the new one is ready. 

I can adjust volume for me beams on the app, but my sonos ones can now only be adjusted from the speaker directly.  The slider bar and volume number is gone for my one and one SL

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Same issue. Each update since the major one has had different issues/bugs. Nearly 2 months since major update now and not any better for me (still won’t connect to NAS library, spent hours waiting for then talking to support having to move whole library back & forth between folders and still useless). My patience is at an end and after testing an Apple HomePod mini and it being easily comparable to the Sonos play 1 I have in the office I’m ready to ditch/sell (if possible!?!) whole Sonos system and replace with HomePods. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sonos obviously doesnt care about current users that have invested in their system or they would have done some level of testing on the new app PRIOR to the release this is the shittiest app I have ever used, or should say TRIED to use.  We are now months after release and the BASICS still do not work.  A high school kid could have done better.  And to not allow roll back to what was a stable and fairly solid app with all these issues is beyond me!!!!

Same issues and same feelings of frustration.  What happened to this company? The app was one of the  best things about it.

I’m not seeing the same issue with my Home system and controller App (see attached) - it sounds like there is an mDNS discovery issue between the controller device and the Sonos speakers. Maybe try powering off all and rebooting the router and then bringing each Sonos device back online one at a time and let it connect/settle before powering on the next device. Start with the speaker nearest the router and move out until all are back up and running.

Do not use any WiFi range extenders or power-line adapters as they are not officially supported by Sonos and ensure there is not any VPN, security software or something running on the controller device that might block the device discovery/connection to the speakers.

It’s also helpful to check the speakers SNR level and ensure it’s WiFi connection is 45dB, or above, wherever practicable - see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

Thank you Ken_Griffiths! One volulme bar naturally started showing up on its own. The other speaker’s issue persisted even after rebooting. I did a factory reset on that one and readded it into my system and it did the trick. Kind of a frustrating process but I am glad that they are all able to be controlled via the app now.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ken

all I can say is this stuff worked for 5 yrs prior to that updated now the entire thing sucks   No search for nas library no volume for move or roam.  Sonos SUCKS!!!  

Ken

all I can say is this stuff worked for 5 yrs prior to that updated now the entire thing sucks   No search for nas library no volume for move or roam.  Sonos SUCKS!!!  

There are some features coming to the App this month, including library search according to this link below so maybe that will help:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 1

They f****ed over a $3500 system in 1 fell software update. Never buy Sonos.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 1

Ken

There are some features coming to the App this month, including library search according to this link below so maybe that will help:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Lol, that’s a joke right? they’re gonna need to do a lot more than that.

No it’s no joke. That’s the roadmap for July. You perhaps need to explain what else you’re looking for?

Userlevel 1

No it’s no joke. That’s the roadmap for July. You perhaps need to explain what else you’re looking for?

Take a look at the title of the thread and let me know if you have any other questions about what folks here are looking for.

Take a look at the title of the thread and let me know if you have any other questions about what folks here are looking for.

Strange, as I don’t have any issue with volume/group volume control, as shown in the attached screen-capture and I have 25 products in 10 Sonos rooms. Maybe it’s user products with a low SNR level that’s causing that issue, rather than the App?

Userlevel 1

What kind of user product with a low SNR are you referring to? And why did a previous Sonos software version not have an issue?

My Sonos app completely disconnects from the reality of what's going on on the speaker. I routinely need to force close the app to get it back to controlling the speakers. This especially happens in the morning after the Sonos alarm went off and I want to now play from a different source or change the music or volume. This was never an issue before the updates.

What kind of user product with a low SNR are you referring to? And why did a previous Sonos software version not have an issue?

Maybe see this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/understanding-the-network-details-section-in-the-sonos-app

But in the same vein, why is my app working/connected to my Sonos products and behaving fine to adjust the volume of my devices when it’s the exact same App (assuming you’re using the latest updated App, the same as I am here?)

My Sonos app completely disconnects from the reality of what's going on on the speaker. I routinely need to force close the app to get it back to controlling the speakers. This especially happens in the morning after the Sonos alarm went off and I want to now play from a different source or change the music or volume. This was never an issue before the updates.

I can only think it’s network related @LaserViking - but that’s just a guess on my part. Sonos Support Staff maybe able to give you more specific information if you contact them and give them a diagnostic report from your setup, 

My thoughts are to ensure your SNR levels are adequate - say 45dB or above …and where practicable/available, use the 5Ghz WiFi band, rather than 2.4Ghz, or a slow SonosNet connection (just as an initial suggestion).

It’s because the controller is sending commands like volume to Sonos servers and then back to your speakers. Sonos servers might be congested. There might be routing issues. You might live in an area with a known lag (pacific Asia apparently).   Maybe your internet just sucks. All beyond your control

Also why the previous app worked, it didn’t do this. Also why the desktop app and 3rd party like SonoPhone still works for people when the new one doesn’t. 

I have the volume issue with the new app. I have six Sonos speakers throughout the house. The volume jumps up and back regardless if I'm using an individual speaker or grouping. 

Even if I group 10 rooms, 25 Sonos speakers I have no issues with volume-control response time - this recorded from my iPad controller a few minutes ago (UK time). See attached. So any cloud service delay here in the UK must be truly negligible, if that’s indeed  the case.

I have the volume issue with the new app. I have six Sonos speakers throughout the house. The volume jumps up and back regardless if I'm using an individual speaker or grouping. 

As in the previous S2 Sonos App too, if for any reason the controller momentarily loses connection over the LAN to any Sonos product and then it reconnects to the speaker, then any changes in the interim will be lost - again improving the devices SNR level (strength of connection to the wireless network) will only seek to help with these things, hence my suggestion made in my post earlier.

Userlevel 1

As in the previous S2 Sonos App too, if for any reason the controller momentarily loses connection over the LAN to any Sonos product and then it reconnects to the speaker, then any changes in the interim will be lost - again improving the devices SNR level (strength of connection to the wireless network) will only seek to help with these things, hence my suggestion made in my post earlier.

I'm gonna grant you a big "Good For You"

There is a major service issue on the Sonos side. It is not that everyone here has busted wifi.

I'm gonna grant you a big "Good For You

Got it, thanks 👍

Why is this thread still going on for months?   My premium product has forced me to use a new app without a functioning volume control and the company doesn’t seemingly feel the need to apologize for or fix this or other significant issues with the app.  It would take a lot for me to ever be a repeat customer or recommend the brand to others at this point.

Absolute crap update. I don’t see myself ever buying another Sonos product.

Absolute crap update. I don’t see myself ever buying another Sonos product.

I’m quite happy with the update. Everything works fine here. So I’m happy to stick around and purchase more.

In fact I got the new Sonos Ace and that’s a really excellent product. I love how it uses both a multipoint Bluetooth connection for device playback and .BLE at the same time for Headphone control on a separate (mobile device). The snapdragon BT HD lossless audio and wired 24/192 audio quality is excellent. Although the killer feature is perhaps still their Spatial TV Audio Swap & Head-Tracking with the Sonos Arc… I really love the new product…🎧

The new App search facility is quick and extremely useful too. Can’t wait until it will also search my locally held library, that’s coming to the App in the near future too according to this Sonos support link: