Question

music library after latest app update

Userlevel 3

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

150 replies

Userlevel 3

It has been clear for a while, for example with the new s***tier search I had to roll back to get rid of, that Sonos holds users with local music libraries in utter contempt. It is absolutely beyond me why this is the case, but there you are. On top of the legion issues over recent years with the app being a buggy pain to use, this is an insult too many.

So, I'm on the hunt for a 3rd party app that will allow my Sonos speakers to continue to render my local music library while I focus my new purchases on other manufacturers.

Good luck, Sonos, with whatever your strategy is.  Alienating seemingly almost your entire customer base with your arrogance and "courage” certainly has me perplexed.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 1

Just echoing the other comments on here - after the update my adroid phone doesn’t show the libaray at all ,, so obviousy don’t have the other features of seraching etc 

SONOS please sort this out immeditaley , my speakers are now totally useless for the way i use them 

After the update from yesterday, I’m not able to play the songs from my library.
I can see all songs in the tabs genres, songs, albums and artists, but I can’t play them.

Recognized that the path to the connected folder is wrong.
How to set the correct folder ? Don’t find any option to set something in the ‘Folder’ tab.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was managed to roll back my SONOS to March 2024 version, everything started to work fine but overnight it was silently updated to May 7 version and now nothing works again, My library disappeared, other options in constant hanging. May 7 version is totally unusable.

Total rubbish. How do I get an older version of the app on Android back?

Nooooooo I have upgraded my Sonos app on iOS. Is there a way to downgrade? Somehow playback is choppy and can’t play local music. HELP

Userlevel 2

This new version of the Sonos app is a dismal failure from my perspective.  I use a Music Library hosted on my Mac for my Sonos system’s use.  I do not stream from other “services”.  Loosing functionality as part of upgrades is counterintuitive.  I have run into issues with Sonos hardware in the past when earlier products for which my hard-earned dollars were spent were rendered incompatible with new app versions.  I am not a wealthy Sonos CEO so c’mon man, Sonos get with it and ensure everything gets made to be backwards compatible and loose no functionality during app version “upgrades”.  I am sick of being charged premium money for shoddy programming and engineering.  As an engineer myself, I find this deplorable.  Yes, I am pissed!

Userlevel 1

Total disaster. I’ve stopped recommending Sonos some time ago as it gets worse all the time but now it will be recommend against. wtf…

I just updated my Sonos app on my iphone from the previous “Gold” app. It plays but I can no longer see my queue.

I enjoyed listening to imported play lists from my “Music Library” and skipping around to hear what i wanted however now the queue is always empty.

I regret updating and wish I could go back but for now we are using the old app on my wife’s phone.

I tried phone support but I got 60 - 75 minute wait times and live chat was unavailable.

Is there any way i can get back the ability to see the queue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I, too, updated my Sonos app on my iPhone and… my Sonos Music Library on our iMac (one room over) no longer appears. So, I thought updating our Sonos Controller on the iMac that houses the Library would result in a successful connection. That installation failed. How nice.

Userlevel 3

Just echoing the other comments on here - after the update my adroid phone doesn’t show the libaray at all ,, so obviousy don’t have the other features of seraching etc 

SONOS please sort this out immeditaley , my speakers are now totally useless for the way i use them 

Same here

Userlevel 1

+1 to the downgrade comments, new look and feel but no alarms anymore via the app, music library appeared after force quitting but the scroll bar has gone so it’s a pain to navigate and appears very buggy to be polite! 

Badge

Hello. After the new and latest update of the Sonos App I cannot listen to music that I have on my PC. The way to share my PC with Sonos has disappeared. Doesn't recognize Windows media? Thank you.

Userlevel 1

Updated to new app as well, and its just horrible.

Why take away perfectly working NAS file functionality?

I am going to be logging a call with Sonos on Monday, the more people who log calls regarding the new app, the more its known how many people use files rather than streaming services.

Userlevel 3

How do I log a call?

Userlevel 1

SONOS has to fix this. I only play music from my own libraries. I recall reading they were concerned with security issues. Well, where do I sign, I am willing to take that risk. This justification is so very largely used. 

I ended up downloading and installing an older version of the Android Sonos app because.

The first things after “upgrading” and having to restart the app because it could not find my system are

• my playlists with selections from my SMB 1 share are gone and I can not make new playlists
  • When I browse through my albums I see no artwork anymore. ( I have more than a 100 since I put all my old records and CDs on a Raspberry Pi and each folder has Folder.jpg and AlbumArtSmall.jpg )
  • I can not use the search function to find music in my library with albums
  • I EVEN CAN NOT FIND where the connection with my SMB 1 share was made !!! Would be nice if I have to reconnect one day.

I already felt unhappy because Stingray was dropped and now I am loosing basic access to my own music !

I am disappointed…..I hope they will bring everything back in the app.

I managed to find a Sonos Android app version 16.1 on the APKPure site.

(There is a section with old versions almost at the bottom of https://apkpure.com/sonos/com.sonos.acr2 )

I removed the Sonos app from my phone and installed that 16.1 version.

After that I went into the Play Store to disable further upgrades of the Sonos app.

(Top right icon in the Play Store app > Apps and device management > manage your apps > click on the Sonos icon > click on the 3 dots in the right upper corner > remove the check mark.)

Unfortunately this does not work on my tablet which I prefer(red) to use.

As I say, I am very unhappy after this upgrade and hope that they revert to what they had.

+1 so Sonos fix this as not able to access My Music on my ipad, once again Sonos have moved from their ‘Music for Life’ mantra.

I use Sonopad as an alternative, no issues whatsoever.

With the May update, the Sonos app on both iPadOS and Android has become useless. Losing the ability to search my local library (~5,000 albums) renders the app pointless except for hardware management. My major streaming service is Tidal, which has Tidal Connect, so the Sonos app is not necessary. The update also broke Bandcamp; it shows nothing and is never included in searches. This “update” means I’ll have to maintain my Roon subscription to properly search and access my library. This all means I won’t use the app for anything other than hardware maintenance. Bravo, Sonos, you’ve killed your software.

Badge

Where are directions on how to access your music library using the updated app? I seem to have access to folders, but can only play one track at a time rather than the entire folder.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I read their long preamble on the Support page this morning addressing the flood of complaints and that they’re reading each one. As for my issue of not being able to connect to my Music Llibrary, they wrote “… we are currently working on it.”  I guess I’ll go sit on a bag of ice and cool myself down. You know that old adage: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

I'm able to link to my Music Library, but would like to access some new music just added today.  I know the old app had a configurable time to refresh, or a refresh could be initiated.  I can't seem to find ways to access either of those options in the New app.  Please advise.

Userlevel 2

One more disgruntled customer.  I have three Play 1’s and a Play 3.  It’s what we use in for entertainment in our house and I have a music library that has well over 1000 albums.  I don’t stream services.  No I have four useless speakers.  This is unconscionable.  We have been had.

This is indeed a disturbing update. If anything, it's strengthened my opinion on keeping as much physical media as possible. Shame on you Sonos. All we want is to listen to music and you keep screwing that up. Fix this and fix it quickly. 

Updated to new app and tried to use it for the first time today...in short....desaster!

I could see my library but unless I didn't see the obvious, there is no way to search it anymore!

Searches returned results from streaming services only!

Reverted back to the previous version. Thanks to whoever mentioned that here!

Not holding my breath for any improvement.…

Why do you need to make something worse that was working before?