Skip to main content
Answered

music library after latest app update

Just installed the new app. But I can’t find where the music library went. Also no option to add a folder to the library 

Moderator edit: We have an article with instruction on how to add a music library share on Windows and MacOS. Have a look.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

755 replies

Userlevel 1

This new app will cost them customers. I’m looking for an alternative

Userlevel 3
Badge

Feedback on alternative high performance wireless systems that will play and que more than one song  from a Local Server. Let's share what options are out there. What is good hardware that has a operating App and can support more than 15 speakers on a high speed network, and maybe even support other formats? Maybe even options that have sound bars with HDMI and not optical only? 

Userlevel 3

I seem to have lost the ability to search my local music using the Android app. This is a pretty big issue for me. What's going on?

Comment réinstaller la bibliothèque locale qui se trouve sur un disque dur ?

Moderator Edit - Translation by Google:

How do I reinstall the local library that is on a hard drive?

Hi - after having the same problems as most of the others here - in particular - losing access to my music library on a NAS drive - I did some searching and found people recommending an alternative 3rd party app, to use instead of Sonos app for iOS.   It is called SonoPhone (there is also a SonoPad).  

I have paid my £1.99, downloaded to my iPhone, and after a few minutes setup (which was painless) - it works perfectly.  I would say its user interface is actually simple and more logical than the Sonos app.  I had to re-specify the path for my music library (NAS drive) - via my Windows Sonos app - but when that was done, the music library showed up instantly in SonoPhone, and is working fine.

Thank you SonoPhone.   

Having similar issues since the latest update. Music library has disappeared, and despite trying suggestions mentioned here (waiting/restarting/force close, etc.), having no luck getting the local media library back. Also seeing the occasional generic error message popping up, like somebody mentioned, with no exact detail as to what's wrong.

Ultimately it's just another nail in coffin for Sonos, and another reason to extend my play testing with WiiM (which is giving me a lots more success, and also includes the ability to play/cast local media from my device).

Every update since they fell out with Google over the casting debacle has resulted in a less feature-rich and more error prone system. No longer worth the investment imo.

The update has also wiped out the recently played list, which we use to hang on to music we’re interested in exploring but not right at that minute. We are very frustrated with many aspects of this update and now considering scrapping Sonos and investing in a new system. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Peter Pan 999.  The SonoPhone app works for me too.

Hi - after having the same problems as most of the others here - in particular - losing access to my music library on a NAS drive - I did some searching and found people recommending an alternative 3rd party app, to use instead of Sonos app for iOS.   It is called SonoPhone (there is also a SonoPad).  

I have paid my £1.99, downloaded to my iPhone, and after a few minutes setup (which was painless) - it works perfectly.  I would say its user interface is actually simple and more logical than the Sonos app.  I had to re-specify the path for my music library (NAS drive) - via my Windows Sonos app - but when that was done, the music library showed up instantly in SonoPhone, and is working fine.

Thank you SonoPhone

Sonos new app ,playlist unable to add or remove .No edit for extensive playlists, invested in 5 products now useless , why sonos ? 

Userlevel 2

Unfortunately, Sonophone does not have an android version so android users are still looking for a solution.

Userlevel 1

We purchase a product advertising some features that just got downgraded by the vendor. Is this legal? Make Sonos great again.

Userlevel 2

I cannot index my 1TB of music tracks on my NAS. 

Takes courage to remove such basic functionality. 

Same issue. 
Just contacted Sonos support and these problems should be corrected by mid June. 
Why release a lame update? Very disappointed!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can anyone help in giving instructions in rolling back this sh!t app to the previous S2 app please.

Why are Sonos so stupid, their hardware is great, but their software policies are pointless and just alienate their customers, I've still not got over the pointless S1 S2 debacle, I've got six Sonos products bought over the past few years at great expense. Three I have to use as an S1 system and three as S2, there is no logic in it, the oldest Play 3 I bought as my first speaker actually qualifies as S2?? I have two Connect Amp units purchased within a couple of months of each other, one qualifies as S2 the other has to use S1. It makes no sense.

Since updating to the New App only some of my music library is available.  It appears music that was originally sourced from CDs is available, but music originally sourced digitally is not.  When I attempt to play the latter the play button simply spins.  I know this is a New App issue because I still have the old S2 App on an IPad--that goodness--that will play all of my music library.  Any thoughts on how to solve this?  Thanks.

You could try the SonoPhone app as a replacement for the Sonos app (until fixed) - for IoS at least.  As per my earlier post - it works fine for me.  It detected my system including my NAS-based music library.   I read somewhere in a review it also supports S1 and S2 devices at the same time. 

Worth a try. 

Good luck.  

Thank you Peter Pan, this solves the Sonos mess. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m on android so SonoPhone no good for me, I found a site where you can download previous Android App versions (APKMirror) so I’ve uninstalled this APP and Installed the 16.1 version, I’ve had to turn off automatic updates on my phone to prevent this crap from being re-installed. Thank you very much Sonos for the inconvenience. At least I can now use my expensive speaker system again.

Anyone know of an alternative Speaker system to Sonos, that has the same features (Mesh Network, local network streaming/library, App controlled etc) I won’t be adding anymore Sonos units to my system I don’t see the point. I don’t think they know what their product is for anymore, disabling the Local network Music library function (the one thing that made their product unique) If I just want to Stream Online music services to a speaker, any Bluetooth speaker works fine and there are hundreds of them at every price point.

Userlevel 5
Badge

SonoPhone is clunky and not designed well gues someone created it on their attic. But at least it is functional. Thanks for sharing. 

Userlevel 2

At this time I can at least access my music library from my Sonos app on my PC.  But APK Mirror is looking like the right solution for our four android devices which is what we use for our primary control of our Sonos network throughout our house and garage.

Again…since Sonos acknowledges so many bugs in this new app, why not have the dignity and grace to say, We screwed this one up loyal users, we will roll back to a previous version until we fix this thing.

And an apology would be nice.

The new controller app becomes unusable if your internet connection goes down. This was not the case with the previous app ver 16.1

The iOS app takes 45 sec to 1 minute after each tap before the next screen populates. ie click on “Music Library” and wait 45 to 60 secs for the Artists, Albums etc menu to appear. Click “Artists” and wait 45 to 60 secs for the Artist list to appear. Click on an Artist and wait 45 to 60 secs for the Albums to appear. Click on an Album, wait 45 to 60 secs for the track list to appear. Click Play and the album plays instantly.

The new android app never displays the Artist, Album etc menu after tapping “Music Library”. It just spins.

As soon as the internet connection comes back up, the iOS app works again without the long delays. The android app will again let you select from the Music Library menu.

This problem does not happen with ver 16.1 on iOS or android. They continue to work ok with the local Music Library without an internet connection.

I discovered this today when my internet went down for 4 hours.

after updating sonos on my laptop my music library was gone. I tried to add it back and got an access denied mesage

New Sonos App doesn’t allow me to access my Library. I have a huge number of purchased music that I cannot access. Can this be corrected in future updates

No search option for NAS library in new app! Important search option is missing. Please help or fix the issue. See a lot off complaints on this crucial missing feature in the new app!!!