Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

I know I am a little late to the party but I HATE IT….

It’s difficult, the general navigation is non-intuitive and a pain in the ass.  I’ve been a long time Sonos fan but this really sucks.   To me, another example of trying to “fix” or “make it better” when it was perfectly fine the way it was…. How about we go back to where we were?   😊

Fingers crossed that this will soon be resolved, but a recent (8/20) BillBoard article I read paints a dire picture for Sonos, not to mention this horrendous app that can’t seem to be fixed.

Yes, Spence has gone from being 'courageous' to being 'disappointed' - like so many of us.

He also projects the company spending up to $30m in fixing the app, investing in customer support and in initiatives to win back alianated buyers. It is not clear if this figure includes projected costs of up to $12m in respect of the recent staff layoffs.

I have owned my Sonos system for over five years and it worked great until the new app.  I have an s5, 4 s1’s and 2 amps.  Working on the system off and on since May upgrade, ha, ha, I now have just one s1 that I can not get on my system.  I have tried to get my network to add it to my Sonos but it locks up Connecting to your play 1.  Nothing ever happens.  I let it run two times overnight and still at the same spot in the morning. Juar the four little dots bouncing up and down.  Is there a solution.  The app is working better than it did before the August update.  Does that mean there is hope for a fully functional app in the future?

Have you tried transferring the system ?  But move it to the same account as you’re currently using. It seems to revalidate all devices. I’ve used it a couple of times when devices disappear

Today I got to listen to one whole song. I didn’t get to adjust the volume or anything, or choose which speakers it popped up on or listen to a second song. But hey, that was an improvement. Maybe I’ll get a record player. 

The latest update on iOS seems to have introduced a new issue for me. 
The volume slider extends off, to the right of the screen. 

Have you tried:

• Force closing the app (i.e. swiping it away from the line-up of open apps) and re-opening.
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the app. 

Works fine on my iPhone 14 Plus. Just tried opening that screen to check...

Hi @only_sleeping 

Well, that looks annoying!

Thanks for flagging this - could you please let me know what model of phone you have, and what version of Operating System it has, if @Rhonny’s advice above does not help? Thanks.

Today I got to listen to one whole song. I didn’t get to adjust the volume or anything, or choose which speakers it popped up on or listen to a second song. But hey, that was an improvement. Maybe I’ll get a record player. 

You are in control of which speaker it plays on.

Drag up the Now Playing area at the bottom of the screen to show the list of speakers. Tap the speaker you want to play on - that becomes the active speaker. Search for music and press play - it will play on the speaker you selected. 

(Make sure you’re not using the Grouping screen - i.e. the screen with ticks next to speakers - to select which speaker to play on.)

I am so pissed off right now. I have never seen a system that cost so much that does not work worth a *! I have tried everything to get this system back on the network but this app is dumb as *. Signed one pissed off mfer. What is it going to take to get their app fixed. I bought 2 systems the ARC was the first and at first it worked great. Then I bought another system and have never been able to connect it. This system sucks

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

New update and more things gone brong and work worse...

I HATE THE MOMENT I DECIDE BUY SONOS.

DONT BUY SONOS. ITS HATEFUL CANNOT PLAY MUSIC ON A SPEAKER THAT YOU BOUGHT FOR IT IN 2024.

With the last couple of releases, the performance of the app has really improved. And primarily a streamer, so never had the issue with local sharing. But I did find the app was lagging when choosing tracks, moving between albums. But I’m satisfied with it now 👍🏻

Hi @only_sleeping 

Well, that looks annoying!

Thanks for flagging this - could you please let me know what model of phone you have, and what version of Operating System it has, if @Rhonny’s advice above does not help? Thanks.

It’s an iPhone 12, latest official iOS and lateest version of the Sonos app.

I’ve force closed the app and restarted but the screen still looks like the second picture I posted.

It's absolutely astounding that a company has so royally scre*ed its customers. I will sell my sonos speakers a couple at a time and probably replace them with Apple HomePods - Apple isn't going anywhere and although Apple is not as good as they used to be I trust them more than Sonos. I’m tired of ten years of glitchy software - this new app and being forced to update is the straw that broke the camel’s back. I’d wish that the executive all get fired but then the poor underlings would lose their jobs and I wouldn't want that - but scre* the company and its management who have alienated their customers. I actually hardly listen to music anymore and when I do I AirPlay it. I will never never ever buy another Sonos product. 

This has to be the most frustrating app I’ve ever come across.

My Beam decided to stop recognising Arc, then just dropped off the system despite being on Ethernet and having a static address applied to it.

Tried the solutions on the net and here to no avail, so went for a hard reset. App finds the Beam, so start going through it, App says can’t find Beam, so Try Again, App finds Beam and goes to the next step, wants access to the microphone to send a tone, allow access, no tone, restart, next time key in the PIN, recognises the PIN, “setting up your Beam”, “oh can’t find your Beam”, “use Ethernet?”, Yes, “sorry, computer says no”. Rinse and repeat. This has been my whole weekend, variations of the above sequence, punctuated with more hard resets.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it timed out quickly but someone decided that a 30 day timeout was appropriate for each function. There’s not even a back button so you don’t have to start from the beginning every single time the thing falls on it’s backside.

Hi @only_sleeping 

Thanks for that info. And for trying those steps.

Could you please now try a reset of the Sonos app? User icon » App Preferences » Reset App » Reset. When you reopen the app afterwards, please be sure to opt to connect to an existing system.

If you see the same issue afterwards, please submit a support diagnostic and let me know here that you have done so. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Hi @only_sleeping 

Could you please now try a reset of the Sonos app? User icon » App Preferences » Reset App » Reset. When you reopen the app afterwards, please be sure to opt to connect to an existing system.

If you see the same issue afterwards, please submit a support diagnostic and let me know here that you have done so. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

No one should have to do all the work that Sonos is asking us to do to makE their product work. I’m not an unpaid beta tester! 

@PhilipNB 

Three months ago you posted “I’ve emailed the CEO about this a few times and all I got is a senior technician who wants to talk to me about the problem, but the thing is I’m so damn frustrated with Sonos and the quality of it’s software that I don’t want to spend any more of my time helping Sonos fix the problems that it’s created  unless to pay for my time.”

So, to be clear, you had the opportunity to discuss your issues with a technician who was willing to help you out, but you have decided to not bother doing anything in all that time?

@PhilipNB

So, to be clear, you had the opportunity to discuss your issues with a technician who was willing to help you out, but you have decided to not bother doing anything in all that time?

I’m imagining the call would have gone something like this:

Hi this is Pat from Sonos how can I help?

How do I activate my new speaker I’ve done all the steps 100 times? There is no queue how do I edit and save? I can’t find my Sonos playlists. I can’t find auto play line in.  Why is my system not found in app? What does the app say “something went wrong”? There’s no true play or surround distance settings in the app how do I do this? 

Pat: So we are planning an app update next week. 

Hi @only_sleeping 

I hope this helps.

Hi @Corry P, I’m still seeing the same issue after resetting the app. 

I’ve submitted a diagnostic, the number is: *************

Moderator edit: diagnostic number recorded and removed

The new app is unusable!

The new app is unusable!

Thank you for your opinion. 

New app has convinced me to buy Alexas to replace all 6 sonos units I have - and I’ll tell everyone I know to avoid sonos. 

good job, i’m going to short the stock too

New app has convinced me to buy Alexas to replace all 6 sonos units I have - and I’ll tell everyone I know to avoid sonos. 

good job, i’m going to short the stock too

You can’t buy an Alexa. 

You may have some problems getting your local library on those Echo speakers.

Hi @only_sleeping 

Thanks!

Do you have a non-default zoom setting on your iPhone? Or a larger-than-default text size? The settings will be in your Accessibility Settings. If you do, please try setting to the defaults.

One last thing to try - could you please reboot your iPhone to see if that helps at all? Thanks.