Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

I don’t know, as I’ve had no reason to call in. However, this person has posted in several threads with the same issue, without any indication that there has been any contact attempt to address the issue they’re experiencing, that I’ve seen. I’m hoping that they just haven’t said what information they’ve received, as knowing what was said might give us knowledge as to what not to suggest. And might give us a clue as to whether we’re dealing with S1 or S2, what device their controller is on, which operating system it runs, how their Sonos system is connected, where their library is stored, and other information that might assist this community in helping them figure out why their system isn’t working. 

Honestly, I’m not sure that if I had an issue, wait times would be significant. For instance, I was waiting for another company’s assistance yesterday via a phone call for two hours, but I needed assistance, so it was worth the wait, as once I spoke to someone, they were able to resolve the issue I was experiencing. I’d think, if my system was misbehaving, I’d be willing to wait for Sonos Support.

Did you think they might just want to vent? Everyone has a good reason to. I deeply regret buying a one sl and a sub-mini last year. Big mistake. Could've just bought a modern stereo setup.

The new sonos app is simply terrible! I know everyone knows that. But why has this not been removed and put back to the previous version until its fixed. 

I currently have £3k worth or unusable speakers which just say 'something went wrong every time'

This is terrible! I love sonos and always been a fan and introduced lots of people to the product. But it needs to be fixed!

Put it back until you have it fixed! Otherwise people's products are useless and not fit for purpose 

Did you think they might just want to vent? Everyone has a good reason to. I deeply regret buying a one sl and a sub-mini last year. Big mistake. Could've just bought a modern stereo setup.

Unfortunately you can’t reason with some of the apologists on here. In their world if you don’t contact support then you don’t deserve any, even more so when it ‘works’ for them so it must be our stupidity that delivered a broken system. 

Of course ‘works for me’ is carefully crafted to not include the glaring functional omissions and these will be summarily dismissed as Sonos have promised they are ‘coming back soon’.

It really should be quite obvious by now that when people had a working system before the new app/firmware and now don’t, that it wasn’t their fault. In this case I don’t see why the onus is on the user to have to put effort into fixing something they didn’t ask for and still (even it it’s working as well as it can) fails to deliver key basic Sonos function. Of course now the T&C’s have been updated post this mess to state that Sonos ‘can’ remove function they’ll no doubt resort to that excuse too… 

I’m sure the Sonos product engineering teams now have more than enough data on failed systems, and if they didn’t, they could be proactive and seek out disgruntled owners on here to gain more information. 

The fact remains that even if the new app is working as well as it can in an environment, it’s still a significant functional downgrade on what was there before and working, regardless of your subjective opinion on the new UI operation.

It simply was not ready for roll-out either in terms of delivered function or amount of testing. At least one of those would have been known about internally for a while and probably both.

Sonos need to know how unhappy their customers are and need to take on the fixing, not expect their customers to do the testing and debugging for them unless they willingly enrolled in a beta test programme.

So I think it’s perfectly fair for people to come on here and vent without needing to be told “phone support and don’t complain if you haven’t”. 

It really should be quite obvious by now that when people had a working system before the new app/firmware and now don’t, that it wasn’t their fault. In this case I don’t see why the onus is on the user to have to put effort into fixing something they didn’t ask for and still (even it it’s working as well as it can) fails to deliver key basic Sonos function. Of course now the T&C’s have been updated post this mess to state that Sonos ‘can’ remove function they’ll no doubt resort to that excuse too… 

The T&Cs have stated for years that Sonos can remove functions. Nothing new about that. 

Consider a call to support as a “vote”. Problems with the most votes tend to be fixed first.

The T&Cs had a major overhaul in 2020, when they added the future updates may not contain existing features or features for new products, along with a section on Auto-update being enable by default.

You’ll be hard pushed to find any company providing updates or using online services that doesn’t have a similar clause somewhere. If anything it is a surprise it was only added in 2020 considering how long Sonos have been around.

The 2018 T&C in comparison look like an amateur cut and paste bare minimum boiler plate. 😂

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/terms-of-use-archive

Whether it is fair those things are hidden in the T&C and not made clearer elsewhere is part of the ever on-going battles between consumer rights groups and companies, which often end up needing testing in court to decide if they hold any water.

As a developer of an App, do the company a favor and release the old version as an update.   The new app is horrible.  Being honest 

I have been an avid Sonos user for years. The company I work for is a major supporter. Today I updated to the latest update. I have found it almost unusable, and could NOT be more disappointed. Sonos needs to work through this user experience in order to keep satisfied customers.
I will recommend, company wide, NOT to update.

The new app Is awful. Serious lag time between accessing and implementing changes such as song change, volume adjustment, etc… Hopefully there is work being done to correct this as it has completely destroyed the user experience and we are considering changing systems if no improvements are made

Lag between a command on the controller and a reaction on the Sonos system is most often an indication of local network issues. Beyond the the wifi interference FAQ, I’d also try a network refresh of my Sonos devices, by unplugging all Sonos from power, then reboot my router. Wait a couple of minutes before plugging back in the Sonos devices.

Many of us are not experiencing this lag that you’re speaking of, but if it continues after the above, I would submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the Support staff, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Another new release on android today. 

---------

New app features.

Bug fixes and improved performance.

————————

Introduced TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Arc, Beam, Beam 2, and Ray

Added S2 to S1 downgrade tool

Added NFC setup authentication

Added mute buttons for individual products in Group Volume controls

Added the ability to “forget system”

Improved reliability when starting playback from a playlist

A few additional details:

Current software version

80.06.04 (Android)
80.06.03 (iOS)

Release date: 8/6/2024

In this update:

This update contains new features for Sonos Ace. To use these features, make sure your Sonos Ace is up to date using the Sonos app.

• Introduced TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Arc, Beam (Gen 1), Beam (Gen 2), and Ray on Android
  • Added TV Audio swap for Sonos Ace from Beam (Gen 1), Beam (Gen 2), and Ray on iOS
  • Added S2 to S1 downgrade tool
  • Improved smoothness and reduced latency for Group Volume controls on iOS
  • Added mute buttons for individual products in Group Volume controls
  • Added Group Volume controls from the Now Playing screen on iOS
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on iOS
  • Improved performance for large queues on iOS
  • Added the ability to “forget system” on Android
  • Improved reliability for speech enhancement and night mode settings on iOS
  • Improved reliability when starting playback from a playlist on Android

Consider a call to support as a “vote”. Problems with the most votes tend to be fixed first.

I don’t have 30 minutes to sit on hold!!!

very unhappy customer. 

I don’t have 30 minutes to sit on hold!!!

Edited

You don’t have to sit on the phone waiting while on hold. Just use the phone’s speaker until it’s answered.

Haven't tried it here but some folks are being offered a call-back option after they have been on hold for a few minutes.

It is very interesting after the recent updates for a while the app seemed to be a little more stable at least until recently when it started dropping speakers again and the volume control slider would move around by itself about me touching it.

When I tried 3rd party SonoPad iOS app out of desperation to control and play music through my Sonos speakers I’m able to do so without the speakers dropping out. If my configuration is the root cause of all these stability issues or if my router is at fault or my network is on the wrong channel how come I can switch to one of three other 3rd party applications to control my Sonos speakers and they work fine. Gratitude that these alternate 3rd party Sonos control applications are Nowhere near as sophisticated nor do they have all the features I used to have with the previous iteration of the Sonos app, but at least I’m able to play music with them.

I am getting very tired with the Sonos support technicians apologist that seem to be bending over backwards to explain the problems with the Sonos app as being anything other than a monumental screw up, 

I will be patient and wait for Sonos to fix their application all I’m asking is the support personnel to mitigate the tendency to imply that every issue is related to the user.

It is very interesting after the recent updates for a while the app seemed to be a little more stable at least until recently when it started dropping speakers again and the volume control slider would move around by itself about me touching it.

When I tried 3rd party SonoPad iOS app out of desperation to control and play music through my Sonos speakers I’m able to do so without the speakers dropping out. If my configuration is the root cause of all these stability issues or if my router is at fault or my network is on the wrong channel how come I can switch to one of three other 3rd party applications to control my Sonos speakers and they work fine. Gratitude that these alternate 3rd party Sonos control applications are Nowhere near as sophisticated nor do they have all the features I used to have with the previous iteration of the Sonos app, but at least I’m able to play music with them.

I am getting very tired with the Sonos support technicians apologist that seem to be bending over backwards to explain the problems with the Sonos app as being anything other than a monumental screw up, 

I will be patient and wait for Sonos to fix their application all I’m asking is the support personnel to mitigate the tendency to imply that every issue is related to the user.

It's a worry. One wonders what goes on in people's minds.

I cannot use my queue as all.  My Sonos is of no use to me anymore!!   Fix this!!!!

I cannot use my queue as all.  My Sonos is of no use to me anymore!!   Fix this!!!!

Not sure what you mean by use your queue, but queue management and playlist management are coming in Sept/Oct apparently.

How much more patient do we have to be, it’s been months that a large amount of people have been unable to use their “premium” product.

YES.  The library is back.   NO.  It doesn’t work.  For sanity sake guys get a grip.  I see the albums but nothing plays, no error just doesn’t play!   Can’t search, the usual “something went wrong, try again later”.   Later being when?  A year maybe?

Why bother?

Rhonny.....have you never added albums to the queue?   That is pretty self explanatory.   I can walk you through it if you can't figure it out.

YES.  The library is back.   NO.  It doesn’t work.  For sanity sake guys get a grip.  I see the albums but nothing plays, no error just doesn’t play!   Can’t search, the usual “something went wrong, try again later”.   Later being when?  A year maybe?

Why bother?

Wrong sharing protocol or share-permissions perhaps? Maybe ensure the share is using SMBv2 (or higher) and that the user/credentials assigned have the correct ‘read only’ permissions. It’s probably not the new Sonos App (assuming you’re using the latest version) as it’s working for many others now, who have posted confirming this, and it works here for my setup too. See attached.

Rhonny.....have you never added albums to the queue?   That is pretty self explanatory.   I can walk you through it if you can't figure it out.

I thought @Rhonny was referring to the ‘queue management’ features, rather than adding to a room queue - I think it’s correct that those features as due to be added in Sept/Oct. See the pending App features list published by Sonos here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

It seems it’s not just us complaining about the application that Sonos is actually taking a stock hit over this issue. I hope they don’t go out of business then all of us would really be in a bad way. I thoroughly enjoyed my Sonos system when it was working. At least if the company does go belly up there’s a couple of other iOS applications out there that would allow us to continue to use the equipment although those applications are not as versatile but at least they work.

The three links below are articles concerning the Sonos falling stock price since the application was released.

The first link below is for the Wall Street Journal and it shows a graph of the stock price for Sonos after the app was introduced.

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/stock-market-today-dow-sp500-nasdaq-live-08-08-2024/card/heard-on-the-street-sonos-app-fiasco-crashes-speaker-maker-s-outlook-68tp0H3XPFhs9OM62TX8?siteid=yhoof2

https://www.cmswire.com/customer-experience/sonos-app-redesign-fail-customer-outrage-and-falling-stock-prices/

https://www.investopedia.com/sonos-slashes-guidance-delays-products-fix-app-bug-8692444