Skip to main content
Question

New SONOS App - Feedback

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

Rhonny.....have you never added albums to the queue?   That is pretty self explanatory.   I can walk you through it if you can't figure it out.

I thought @Rhonny was referring to the ‘queue management’ features, rather than adding to a room queue 

Correct, Ken. 

YES.  The library is back.   NO.  It doesn’t work.  For sanity sake guys get a grip.  I see the albums but nothing plays, no error just doesn’t play!   Can’t search, the usual “something went wrong, try again later”.   Later being when?  A year maybe?

Why bother?

It found the music and added it. You can see the images and tracks.  Just won’t play.  

So … if this is the protocol why don’t they warn you or send any kind of error?  Why does it use two protocols to list and then play?  

something helpful would be very useful and I’ll bet the average joe could not sort this.

YES.  The library is back.   NO.  It doesn’t work.  For sanity sake guys get a grip.  I see the albums but nothing plays, no error just doesn’t play!   Can’t search, the usual “something went wrong, try again later”.   Later being when?  A year maybe?

Why bother?

Wrong sharing protocol or share-permissions perhaps? Maybe ensure the share is using SMBv2 (or higher) and that the user/credentials assigned have the correct ‘read only’ permissions. It’s probably not the new Sonos App (assuming you’re using the latest version) as it’s working for many others now, who have posted confirming this, and it works here for my setup too. See attached.

If Sonos can’t stream a file because it can’t connect to an SMB v1 share then how hard can it be to actually display an error message stating that to the user? At least then you’d know with some certainty what your problem was. 

Which ever way you cut it, the new App/Firmware combination is very poor at best. “Something unexpected went wrong” or worse nothing, is just plain lazy. 

The old Sonos app was more intuitive to navigate. 
With the new app I have to join an existing setup every time.

That’s clearly a fault. You don’t need to join a setup each time you want to use the app. Even with the new app this isn’t a frequently seen issue (although it has been seen). 
Other than reinstalling the app, and rebooting your router and speakers, the only other thing to suggest perhaps is to contact Sonos as they will be able to see what your system is up to….

EDIT- one more thing. Your bio says you have older S1 speakers. Downgrade them all from S2 to S1 with the tool added to the app update last week, and use the S1 controller app instead. I suspect that would be the solution.

Good grief Sonos , this S***show is going on 4 months. Went to turn off my music and I get this. And that was after trying get it to turn it on for 5 minutes earlier..Get your s*** together!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

AND it worked..

>…]

EDIT- one more thing. Your bio says you have older S1 speakers. Downgrade them all from S2 to S1 with the tool added to the app update last week, and use the S1 controller app instead. I suspect that would be the solution.

As reported by others who have made the S2-to-S1 switch, SONOS playlists are (or maybe just can be?) lost in the process, perhaps along with other system elements. Some might find this an acceptable trade-off, others not so much. Perhaps worth a mention when recommending the downgrade.

>…]

As reported by others who have made the S2-to-S1 switch, SONOS playlists are (or maybe just can be?) lost in the process, perhaps along with other system elements. Some might find this an acceptable trade-off, others not so much. Perhaps worth a mention when recommending the downgrade.

Would probably be worth Sonos themselves mentioning this in the instructions/tool, if it is indeed prevalent…

I'm sorry to hear that a 100 persons got layed off from Sonos, there is one person who is responsible and needs to be layed off for this epic clister*of an app.

That's Patrick.

I tried to play a specific record yesterday, or a playlist from a family members Apple Music account (we have multiple set up).

Couldn't get it to work, app “loads” and nothing happens. Eventually, after jumping around in different places in the app I find tracks with similar names but no record or playlist.

Gave up and grew more frustrated than ever.

I have paid good money for these speakers only to have them and the user experience ruined completely over time.

Going out to buy replacements today and will never look back.

*Moderator Note: Title and body modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Anyone think there’s any truth in this post (apart from the bit about 100 people losing their jobs)

https://www.theverge.com/2024/8/14/24220421/sonos-s2-app-relaunch

If Sonos can’t stream a file because it can’t connect to an SMB v1 share then how hard can it be to actually display an error message stating that to the user? At least then you’d know with some certainty what your problem was. 

Which ever way you cut it, the new App/Firmware combination is very poor at best. “Something unexpected went wrong” or worse nothing, is just plain lazy. 

Heh, I’m currently going through a “what can I break” while upgrading process and the new app has definitely had some.. um… “interesting“ choices made, to put it politely 😂

To move things around to try and make it more challenging and induce failures so I can look at why it would fail or cause instability I wanted to move 3 speakers with the firmware upgrade to WiFi before switching the disconnected ones back on which would want to join Sonosnet

I was faced with this message

So under manage system I can see 4 products, but trying to setup WiFi there are no products. The message is unhelpful.

What it actually means is all your products need a factory reset to configure WiFi settings, but no where in the app does it state whether the products it can see are gen 1 or gen 2.

As a user I need to remember which products are gen 1, which are gen 2 and which gen I have switched on.

About my system shows a hardware revision, so instead of saying no products found why not used the known hardware revisions either before or after searching the network to identify them and say the products can’t be configured in the app and need a factory reset. 🙄

Anyone think there’s any truth in this post (apart from the bit about 100 people losing their jobs)

https://www.theverge.com/2024/8/14/24220421/sonos-s2-app-relaunch

No.

I downgraded two of my speakers to S1 today.

From unusable crappy cloud dependent paperweights to quick responsive usable speakers.

Wow!

Not a chance in the world I will “upgrade” to any new software that Sonos releases nor buy any more products from a company that is run like this. But now at least I have usable speakers until I find replacements from another company that knows what they are doing.

(HomePod bought as replacements seem to lack the possibility to control set alarms from  Home Assistant, might return them but time will tell. Otherwise they beat the Sonos 1:s hands down if you live within the Apple echoststem and use Apple Music!)

NAS music library - Synology rackstation - smb3 enabled, special share with read only permissions.

Can see the albums and artwork but none will play!  Press play it either: 1) starts then stops in about ½ sec, b) spins for about 10 secs then stops or c) looks like its playing but the track not shown on the rooms and no music.

No errors, no messages.

Another fine mess from Sonos I expect. Any ideas?

iPhone users have expressed relief by using a third party app called SonoPhone. Sonos should contact the developers and work with them to resolve the current issues. Passionate and talented people often go the extra mile to make a positive difference,

SonoPhone is good for playback but has no setup or timer function.

The new app is so slow I use airplay and set a timer to stop playing.

Known for high quality - all lost now and I regret my large investment in Sonos products.  Our new home in Naples will NOT have Sonos !!!!

Hello,

I’m new to Sonos (2 weeks). 
Has the feature « auto play same music » (the Infinity symbol) of the app Apple Music ever been enabled in Sonos App ? 
Will it be enable in the new app ? 
Is there a way to ask Sonos voice control to do it ?

Search box blocks Music Library > Folders

On an iPhone or iPad in landscape mode, it is nearly impossible to select Folders from the (local) Music Library menu because the Search box at the bottom gets in the way. Can you add this to the list of things to get fixed? Thanks

Search box blocks Music Library > Folders

On an iPhone or iPad in landscape mode, it is nearly impossible to select Folders from the (local) Music Library menu because the Search box at the bottom gets in the way. Can you add this to the list of things to get fixed? Thanks

Can you use edit home at the bottom to bring Your sources up higher?

Thanks @Silverthorn. The issue is not on the home screen. Rather, within the ‘Music Library’ screen (i.e. after selecting Music Library on the home screen), the option ‘Folders’ is at the very bottom. But when I try to click it, the search box gets in the way. I can only select it on my iPad in portrait mode. There’s no option to edit this screen, as far as I see.

Thanks @Silverthorn. The issue is not on the home screen. Rather, within the ‘Music Library’ screen (i.e. after selecting Music Library on the home screen), the option ‘Folders’ is at the very bottom. But when I try to click it, the search box gets in the way. I can only select it on my iPad in portrait mode. There’s no option to edit this screen, as far as I see.

Are, I see. I have seen a couple of bugs lately myself.

Thanks @Silverthorn. The issue is not on the home screen. Rather, within the ‘Music Library’ screen (i.e. after selecting Music Library on the home screen), the option ‘Folders’ is at the very bottom. But when I try to click it, the search box gets in the way. I can only select it on my iPad in portrait mode. There’s no option to edit this screen, as far as I see.

This issue has been seen by the Sonos team on certain devices and acknowledged as a fix they are working on. Someone else raised the issue (they were using an iPhone 13 Mini).

The search function in your own library temains unstable in the new app. Result is in 80% something went wrong, try again.

SonoPhone app, always works. So come on Sonos! Proof your right, and fix it.