Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

After reinstalling and given it a lot of time it actually starts working...and now with alarm as well

Hurray……

Stil not possible to build a que….? Interesting approach for roll out of new Sw….

I allowed the app to update to the newest version for a second time because Sonos claimed to have fixed playback from folders in a local library. Nope. The new app allows you to play content from a folder but not from its subfolders. Nor can you add tracks from a folder to the queue.

I rolled back to version 16.1 which worked fine for a while, but now I can’t manage my local library from version 16.1. All the options under System/Music Library are greyed out. I’m guessing that the firmware of my speakers has updated.

When I bought my Sonos speakers, I did so because I have many years worth of music stored on a NAS and wanted to play it from there and not via a streaming service. How is it acceptable for Sonos to remove some of that functionality AFTER I have purchased their product? In the UK consumer law says that a product must be capable of being used for the purpose it was sold for and have the features it advertises. Have Sonos circumvented this law by removing features years after purchase? It’s like buying a TV and then the manufacturer updating the firmware to block certain channels they don’t agree with you watching (and/or can’t make revenue from).

There are reasons why Sonos may prefer it’s customers to use streaming services rather than their own local sources, they aren’t difficult to work out. Whether they are bodging the local library playback functionality by design or through sheer incompetence I have my own opinion about. Either scenario will and has been disastrous for Sonos.

I have ordered myself a pair of similar priced multiroom speakers to replace my Sonos speakers. They have many more connectivity options than the Sonos’. I will put this debacle with Sonos down to experience and where possible avoid buying anything that operates in such a restrictive ecosystem.

My Sonos speakers will now be used as an overpriced alarm clock in the bedroom (for as long as that feature exists, that is).

After reinstalling and given it a lot of time it actually starts working...and now with alarm as well

Hurray……

Stil not possible to build a que….? Interesting approach for roll out of new Sw….

Queue management is stated as coming early June, so I would imagine 5th June update (i.e. next week), going by previous release timings. 

Hi. Until the Sonos app works properly, is there another Android app I can use to operate all of my Sonos speakers?

New app is complete garbage

Why did Sonos release this garbage app when the previous one functioned so good?

The new app is a nightmare of UX that has dramatically increased the amount of time and effort it takes to achieve simple tasks. The removal of fundamental functionality like muting is either a bonehead oversight or a colossally bad product decision.

However, the biggest problem I face with the app is its speed; it takes ages to recognizes the system when loading the app. Not just at my primary home, but also my second home, and I’ve heard the same (unsolicited) feedback from non-technically-minded family members on their own systems. Connecting to the system is dirt-basic functionality that should be considered a P1 bug fix. Sonos likes to blame away the issue on local networks, but the situation became far worse with the app redesign and the app (still) cannot reliably load station art from Tune In, or installed sources like Radio France or BBC Sounds. The issue exists on iOS and Android.

The updated UI is most definitely a regression, but I’d like to see Sonos focus primarily on the stability of the system before trying to untangle the UI mess it has created with these new updates.

Besides losing all my playlist with the new update another problem surfaced today. Does anyone know where the equalizer feature went?  I found it quite useful.

We have many deployments in the field where we needed to route the Sonos traffic across vlans. After updating the iOS apps, we no longer able to discover the connect to the system. I tested with the latest windows app and that worked fine. After looking at some packet capture, I found the issue.

The iOS phones are sending SSDP discovery packets with a TTL value of 1 which means the routing protocol I have configured won't be able to route traffic between VLANs.

The Windows app has the TTL value set to 4.

I know this won’t get a priority from the Sonos team but the fix for this one is so easy and simple. This will save so much a headache for many large deployments out there.

We have many deployments in the field where we needed to route the Sonos traffic across vlans. After updating the iOS apps, we no longer able to discover the connect to the system. I tested with the latest windows app and that worked fine. After looking at some packet capture, I found the issue.

The iOS phones are sending SSDP discovery packets with a TTL value of 1 which means the routing protocol I have configured won't be able to route traffic between VLANs.

The Windows app has the TTL value set to 4.

I know this won’t get a priority from the Sonos team but the fix for this one is so easy and simple. This will save so much a headache for many large deployments out there.

ymetry… That’s amazing that you could figure that out. There lies the rub with such “updates.”  The average, lowly users like myself, could never sleuth the problem(s) to such a degree.  It took a long time for me on this forum to finally find a solid link - posted by another smart user like yourself - that enabled me to go back to what I had before the app update (as it pertains to the Mac S2 Sonos desktop controller)

Hello,

the new iOS app is horrible. Nothing works well, its slow and I miss many features.

I wanted to buy the new headphones, but to be honest, the Sonos app is beyond unusable. I am not going to buy any new products if the software stays as it is.

I am highly dissappointed by Sonos.

Is there a way to downgrade and install the previous app version at least on my iOS device so I can use my existing devices well?

Or are there any alternative 3rd party apps that do the job?

Thanks!

I am disappointed and disgusted that Sonos would foist this horrible app “update” on its customers.  I have Sonos products in several rooms in my home, but my principle use is the Sonos amp with my turntable, preamp, and passive speakers and subwoofer.  The new app has ruined my enjoyment of this system by losing my control of my subwoofer.   My guess is the real purpose of the update is to add their new, overpriced and of limited use, headphones, and in doing so they inadvertently introduced bugs into the app.   Shame on them.  This is what happens when a company  gains monopolistic control over its customers -- quality considerations go out the window.   

Why did Sonos release this garbage app when the previous one functioned so good?

No, it did not. I’m mean the old one did not function very well. I can certainly agree that it was in need of a real overhaul. And maybe the new app would have gotten there, if they had not made the fatal mistake of dropping the old app entirely, so they had to release something very unfinished to support the headphones.

Anyway, when I’ve been thinking a little more of the behaviour of the new app, I have come to realisation, that many of these issues also appeared with the old app. Like this: While I’m eating breakfast in the kitchen I play some music. Breakfast finished, I stop music and move it to my study. I go to the bathroom (which may not have the best WiFi coverage to brush my teeth). When I come to the study, I try to start the music from the phone, but there is no reaction. Well, the old app would say “Cannot connect to Sonos product”. Yes, the new app is certainly worse, but the old one was not fantastic.

As it happens, I have two Play 3 which have been misbehaving and that I had decided to replace with two ERA 300. But after the reflections after the debacle with the app, I will first make an investigation if the grass may be bluer on the other side. After all, I have felt for many years, that there are things that Sonos could do better in their system, not only the app.

Due to the consistent lack of responsibility, poor communication, and absence of ownership regarding customer success, I have lost confidence in @Sonos’ CEO Patrick Spence.

The company's leadership appears to disregard essential aspects of customer service and support, leading to a decline in trust and satisfaction. This negligence undermines the brand's reputation and fails to meet the expectations of its loyal customers.

Given these issues, I believe it is time for Patrick Spence to consider resigning to allow for new leadership that prioritizes and values customer success.

Like so many other reviewers, I’ve been a huge fan of Sonos for 10+ years and have 15 zones in my house. I’m also a low-voltage / audio-video integrator by trade. THE NEW APP IS PURE GARBAGE.

It’s as though Sonos didn’t beta test it at all and in fact launched it as a beta test to the public. Sure, we’re all creatures of habit, but the new app forces you to use your brain to find settings in a very unnatural manner. One of Sonos’ claim-to-fame was how older generations used to be able to get up and running with it quickly. 20 year-olds are even struggling with the new app - it just doesn’t make sense.

In addition to it not being intuitive, the amount of bugs and glitches is unforgivable. I tried to add 2 Era 300s to an Arc and Sub for 2 hours with no avail. How ridiculous!!! That should of been a 5-10 minute long process. We have clients having so many issues on systems that were otherwise stable. Zones are ghosting in and out of the app constantly. Zones that were in unison are playing different music automatically. Setup of new products and/or accounts is now a nightmare experience. So many audio professionals have turned their noses up to Sonos while I have defended it for years. Now they all have legitimacy to their grips. 

Sonos, way to RUIN such a great product.  #epicfail

What did the developers do? Observations to date:

• networks not shown
  • speakers no longer using Sonosnet and now back on wifi
  • unable to change the balance setting between a pair of speakers
  • Always prompted to use Bluetooth when opening the app

why? If it’s not broken, don’t try and fix it.

Since the new app, its an absolute discrase you pay all that money for a top of range system and you can't even use it . I hope they sort it soon or I'm done with sonos. White screen on android app and nothing else. SORT IT SONOS 

When are they going to fix it. I can’t play anything. It is the beginning of summer and I can’t hear my music outside or anywhere. They need to fix it now!!!!

I’ve been such a loyal fan of all Sonos products. But this new app is absolutely the worst. I think the community has documented all the same glitches and problems I have experienced. It makes what was once an enjoyable experience listening to music painstakingly miserable. Hoping that this is fixed soon!

Whers the tv in music services on the new app. Sonos you suck. Many many issues 

Like many on here, the app update bricked my entire system. 

Several days of messing about I seem to have got it working again. Apologies if covered elsewhere, but deleting the app and reinstalling it at first got it to recognise my system (after days of it saying No Products Found). 

Playback on some services such as Mixcloud, Spotify was then possible, but not on others such as BBC Sounds and TuneIn - so I removed these services from the app, then re-added them, which seemed to work. I have been testing all my services for the last hour across each of my devices (Play, Roam, One, Beam) and each seem to be working 

There are still loads of features missing compared to the old app and it still seems a bit laggy, but for now I can at least listen to some music. (Whether that it still the case tomorrow remains to be seen!) 

Further feedback : Sonos system still partially working, but my Mixcloud service doesn’t recognise any of my followers, following, playlists, uploads etc. It recognises my Favourites, so it must be syncing with my Mixcloud account, but the majority of my content isn’t there

Adjusting the group speaker volume still isn't working like it used to. One of the speakers keep resetting back to 0 dispite have sound. Sometime I can not adjust the sound down which is worse. Can you hurry and fix it?

Been on the phone multiple times after the new App. The only temp fix is a total rest each time. Paid a lot of money for a Product that leaves me quite unsatisfied. On hold for at least a hour indicating this is a huge problem. C’mon Sonos be better.

Is there someone from Sonos Support listening to our cries, can we roll back to the previous version HELP!

How does a Company roll out such a broken App without Beta testing it?