Answered

anybody replaced their Connect with a Port?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

109 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The quote was yours about it being bit perfect. I just don’t don’t know how to link back to it, so I just copy & pasted it! Sorry! Yes it was a misquote. For that I apologise. 
My point was that you jumped in to say that I must be wrong without reading the thread fully. No offence taken. I assumed that you had read the thread & knew that I was using ‘variable’. 

I never once said you were wrong.  I asked a question, assuming (wrongly) that you were talking about Fixed volume (hence the bit-perfect reference), since Fixed volume is the only objective way to make a comparison.  If you had answered “I wasn’t using Fixed volume, so I’m not talking about bit-perfect”, I would have said “Oh, sorry for assuming. Yeah, that can definitely be different”

I didn’t know that variable wasn’t bit - perfect. I know very little about how digital information is passed. All I know is my ears & my gear. To be honest it wasn’t just you. I was just a bit sick of being made to feel like I was imagining something when if I could just sit people down they would’ve heard the difference very clearly. It seems that people get pretty touchy about this gear. 😂
Anyway, the Port has gone back, I’ve got S2 running in my lounge via the Gen 2 connect which sounds excellent in variable mode & I’ve saved  a load of dosh..So I’m happy now. 👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Whatever the views Sonos Community is a wealth of useful information. 

Just tried some subjective testing of Connect Gen 2 from optical digital out through an Audiolab 8300 CDQ CDplayer/DAC to Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

The variable output from the Sonos Connect sounds absolutely fine on my Sonos system but awful on the HD00S.  But switching to fixed output I didn’t notice any difference between playing the CD directly and playing a ripped ALAC file version of the CD through the Sonos fixed digital optical output and DAC on the CD player. The Apple music AAC version source file through the Sonos Connect fixed digital optical output sounded only marginally worse and wouldn’t put much money on a blind test. 

The headphones on the other hand sounded dramatically better than than the rest of my speakers and headphones.    

Does seem that they haven’t got the Port right just yet. Basically if using for hifi purposes you don’t want a DAC as you will likely already have one. You just want an undistorted unprocessed fixed output with coxial and digiital outputs so you can connect to your other system inputs as you want and the ability to play hi res file formats not because they sound better but so you can actually play them i.e. just the same basic functionality as pretty much everything else out there on the market. Currently there is absolutely no reason to switch from Connect Gen 2 to Port other than the better look and Airplay if you use Apple and there is no reason to chose a Port over other streamers on the market unless you are tied to the Sonos system   I’ve no doubt Sonos has the ability to get it right but at the moment as a hifi streamer connection the Port is not convincing. 

Is it not as simple a solution as Sonos disabling EQ in variable mode on digital outputs, along with whatever DSP sauce has been added in that mode? With digital outputs to be used with a DAC equipped downstream kit, which will almost certainly have wider ranging tone control/filters that can be used instead. Then the only difference between fixed and variable digital outs will be what is suggested by those descriptions, with variable to be used by those needing the Sonos app volume controls. If fixed can then be transparent, so can variable surely.

Those wanting to use onboard EQ will get it when analog outputs are used. I found these outputs on my Connect to be as good as I could hear back in 2011 in comparison to external DACs that cost many times the price of the Connect, and even if DAC tech has not progressed since then, the Port is very unlikely to have been equipped with a DAC that is audible less capable than the one in my 2011 Connects. Reviews I have read suggest that the Port sounds the same as Connect when analog outputs are used - no surprise there.

And in my case, since my kit downstream of the Connect has tone controls, I leave Sonos EQ in flat condition even using analog outputs.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Is it not as simple a solution as Sonos disabling EQ in variable mode on digital outputs, along with whatever DSP sauce has been added in that mode? With digital outputs to be used with a DAC equipped downstream kit, which will almost certainly have wider ranging tone control/filters that can be used instead. Then the only difference between fixed and variable digital outs will be what is suggested by those descriptions, with variable to be used by those needing the Sonos app volume controls. If fixed can then be transparent, so can variable surely.

Those wanting to use onboard EQ will get it when analog outputs are used. I found these outputs on my Connect to be as good as I could hear back in 2011 in comparison to external DACs that cost many times the price of the Connect, and even if DAC tech has not progressed since then, the Port is very unlikely to have been equipped with a DAC that is audible less capable than the one in my 2011 Connects. Reviews I have read suggest that the Port sounds the same as Connect when analog outputs are used - no surprise there.

And in my case, since my kit downstream of the Connect has tone controls, I leave Sonos EQ in flat condition even using analog outputs.

Totally agree. Why not just give us an option to disable EQ? If you’re using an amp that has Bass & Treble controls anyway. Little use for them on the Connect/Port.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Agreed. I use varable output when playing with rest of sonus system and fixed when using as standalone hifi source. It is not a deal breaker but as clean as possible digital variable output from Connect/Port would be more convenient. As soon as you switch to analog then the sound is being processed in any system but for a device that is connected to hifi i just want to use it as a transport and the sound as clean and natural as possible. A more processed sound may well make sense playing through Sonos speakers but not hifi.  The Port/Connect is designed to connect to hifi so the question is what are hifi users looking for. Arguably if hifi is your rabbit hole then you are not going to be looking at Sonos. But Sonos has so many great qualities it would just be nice if they designed a hifi connection product with what hifi users are looking for and I would upgrade tomorrow. .  

Arguably if hifi is your rabbit hole then you are not going to be looking at Sonos. But Sonos has so many great qualities it would just be nice if they designed a hifi connection product with what hifi users are looking for and I would upgrade tomorrow. .  

Arguably is right; if one definition of Hifi behaviour when buying kit is spending a lot more than one can afford, and also ruining the home aesthetic in the opinion of the better half, I qualify; and when I decided to be more sensible after over a decade of this, in 2011 I started using Connect directly wired to the line in jacks of my Quad pre amp with no perceived loss of sound quality or diminution in listening pleasure, with significantly enhanced domestic harmony. 

Now, I am just as fine with what I hear from a source such as Echo Show wired to analog inputs on my Connect/Connect Amps. It really comes down to speakers in use and how well they interact with the room. IMO. And the artwork that accompanies each track as is displayed on the Show adds to the experience in my book, while sound quality remains HiFi.

And all are HiFi. Including the Port here as a HiFi component when its analog outputs are used. It seems that when digital outputs are in use, one needs to know what one is doing, which is a pity that Sonos ought to quickly correct.

The other thing about HiFi is that for every HiFi component that is named as such another can be found that will look down on the former with disdain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you tried using the analog out with Variable volume? According to that article the DSP limiting/compression only applies to the digital out, which in retrospect is logical.

Inspired by this thread, I tried switching my Port over to its analog outputs. Personally, I think it sounds very good (Yamaha AX757SE amp, Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers/stands, KEF subwoofer).

Inspired by this thread, I tried switching my Port over to its analog outputs. Personally, I think it sounds very good (Yamaha AX757SE amp, Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers/stands, KEF subwoofer).

I am not surprised. I ended up giving away my Musical Fidelity Tube DAC to a friend some years ago, because I could not bring myself to sell something to him that did nothing to the SQ. It even had feet with built in lights that changed colours to let you know it was warmed up enough to deliver its designed performance. I also sold my DAC access equipped Marantz SACD player once I moved to Sonos+ripped to local NAS CDs. For that one I collected money, for since it played CDs!

Some years ago, I came across a DAC that was sold at something like USD 40k. Unbelievable.

PS: it was closer to USD 85k...

Hi All, First time poster here.  I too bought a Port to replace a Connect, which I felt compelled to do to keep my system up to date, as many others have.  I have read the What Hifi and Tech Hive reviews. When I received my Port, I hooked it up, and it did not sound great to me - compressed, less separation of instruments, bass not as deep, treble not as crisp. I read many posts here and began to wonder - is it me, or is it the actually the Port, so I set to find out.

I hooked up the Port and Connect at the same time via Coax to my Marantz SR7012 AVR and both were on fixed volume. I chose 4 songs  I am very familiar with to play: Steely Dan - Aja -Home At Last (MFSL), Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection - Ballad of a Well Known Gun (MFSL), Elton John Captain Fantastic - Captain Fantastic, Stevie Wonder - Innervisions- Don’t You Worry bout a Thing.  My Speakers are B&W CM9’s with CM Centre 2 S2 and ASW 600 Sub and B&W Surrounds. My Preferred Listening Mode is Auro 2D Surround.

I played each song, and had my Son choose the source 8 different times while each song was playing. Sometimes he switched the source, sometimes he didn’t, but there was a brief “break” between each switch request (he would choose a non source to break the sound, and then choose either the Port or Connect after that) so I could not tell which he was choosing. I then wrote down for each trial which source,  Connect or Port, I thought I was listening to, for each song. He kept track of which source he chose each time, and we compared notes at the end of each song.

I was able to guess the source correctly 72% of the time (23 out of 32 times). My scores for each song were 75% - 62% - 62% - 87% repsectively (not sure if that says something about Elton John : ))

My conclusion is that this is statically significant to me, and more often than not, I can tell the difference between the Port and Connect. So, am i disappointed? yeah, a bit. Am I going to return my Port - I’m not really sure - I am choosing between staying up to date vs. better sound from my Sonos streamer. I will probably end up keeping the Port and using it for more casual listening, and use other sources for more critical listening. And, hope for a Port update that will improve the sound.

The one thing I feel strongly about is that Sonos should at least acknowledge that their could be an issue with the Port sound, and to address it in some way with the community. There have been enough post and articles about the subject that not addressing it only hurts Sonos’ reputation (and I am a big fan and own many products) and possibly hurts further sales of the Port.

Thanks for listening.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi All, First time poster here.  I too bought a Port to replace a Connect, which I felt compelled to do to keep my system up to date, as many others have.  I have read the What Hifi and Tech Hive reviews. When I received my Port, I hooked it up, and it did not sound great to me - compressed, less separation of instruments, bass not as deep, treble not as crisp. I read many posts here and began to wonder - is it me, or is it the actually the Port, so I set to find out.

I hooked up the Port and Connect at the same time via Coax to my Marantz SR7012 AVR and both were on fixed volume. I chose 4 songs  I am very familiar with to play: Steely Dan - Aja -Home At Last (MFSL), Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection - Ballad of a Well Known Gun (MFSL), Elton John Captain Fantastic - Captain Fantastic, Stevie Wonder - Innervisions- Don’t You Worry bout a Thing.  My Speakers are B&W CM9’s with CM Centre 2 S2 and ASW 600 Sub and B&W Surrounds. My Preferred Listening Mode is Auro 2D Surround.

I played each song, and had my Son choose the source 8 different times while each song was playing. Sometimes he switched the source, sometimes he didn’t, but there was a brief “break” between each switch request (he would choose a non source to break the sound, and then choose either the Port or Connect after that) so I could not tell which he was choosing. I then wrote down for each trial which source,  Connect or Port, I thought I was listening to, for each song. He kept track of which source he chose each time, and we compared notes at the end of each song.

I was able to guess the source correctly 72% of the time (23 out of 32 times). My scores for each song were 75% - 62% - 62% - 87% repsectively (not sure if that says something about Elton John : ))

My conclusion is that this is statically significant to me, and more often than not, I can tell the difference between the Port and Connect. So, am i disappointed? yeah, a bit. Am I going to return my Port - I’m not really sure - I am choosing between staying up to date vs. better sound from my Sonos streamer. I will probably end up keeping the Port and using it for more casual listening, and use other sources for more critical listening. And, hope for a Port update that will improve the sound.

The one thing I feel strongly about is that Sonos should at least acknowledge that their could be an issue with the Port sound, and to address it in some way with the community. There have been enough post and articles about the subject that not addressing it only hurts Sonos’ reputation (and I am a big fan and own many products) and possibly hurts further sales of the Port.

Thanks for listening.

Do what I did. Order a Gen 2 connect from Richer Sounds. Only £199 & then the best of both worlds great sound of Connect & runs S2. I couldn’t be happier! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I also wrote to the CEO a few months back to tell him how disappointed I was with the Port! As follows……

Hi Patrick,

I hope you & your family are well? 

I have been a Sonos user for a few years & have recommended your products to many.
I use a connect on my main Hi-Fi & have Ones & Play Ones through the rest of the house.
I like many others have legacy products as part of my set up. 
I recently ordered the Port as an upgrade to my now legacy connect. I wasn’t massively happy about having to do this in order to keep up to date but appreciate that technology moves on.
What I wasn’t prepared for was the downgrade in audio quality when using the digital out on the Port compared to my Connect. 
The sound is much more compressed & ‘reigned in’ when fed through my DAC. The soundstage & instrument separation aren’t nearly as good. 
I’m going to have to return the Port & carry on using my Connect which now means I must split my system or carry on with the old App. Neither of which I want to do.
Why would the Digital signal be worse in the new product? I want to upgrade but the new product needs to be an ‘upgrade’ in order for me to feel comfortable handing over my hard earned cash.
Appreciate this is really one for your engineers & R&D team but just wanted to share my disappointment in this product with you first hand. 

Kind regards,

Simon.

…. As yet no response, it’s almost like he’s got something better to be doing 😂! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Patrick I made the same mistake too. I totally agree that the Port sounds far inferior compared to the Connect played through my Rega Dac, poor timing, dynamics and richness of sound being my main criticisms. I consider that the very poor quality remote power supply to the Port is the main culprit. At the present time my Boost and Connect have been rendered useless by the S2 upgrade. Sonos support, after several hours chat this morning have not yet come up with a solution to reinstate my  original Boost and Connect system. I’m presently taking time out to consider my next move.  However, this may be the incentive I need to go for something far better. I’ve been with Sonos since their inception, they don’t require clients like us anymore.

Hi All,

Just wanted to update - I took Finbow’s advice, I returned my Port to Sonos, and was able to purchase a brand new factory sealed Generation 2 Connect. I found it online at World Wide Stereo in PA. There are also some brand new ones as well as used Generation 2 Connects on Ebay (just be sure they are Gen 2 before purchase). I will report back once I hook it up, but I feel much better about this plan of action, so thanks so much for the advice!

Hi Patrick I made the same mistake too. I totally agree that the Port sounds far inferior compared to the Connect played through my Rega Dac, poor timing, dynamics and richness of sound being my main criticisms. I consider that the very poor quality remote power supply to the Port is the main culprit. 

I rather doubt that the power supply has much, if anything, to do with it. It’s been reliably reported that when the digital out is in Variable Volume mode the Port applies more limiting and/or dynamic range compression than Connect, ostensibly to protect the S/PDIF from clipping. 

For example, see https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi All,

Just wanted to update - I took Finbow’s advice, I returned my Port to Sonos, and was able to purchase a brand new factory sealed Generation 2 Connect. I found it online at World Wide Stereo in PA. There are also some brand new ones as well as used Generation 2 Connects on Ebay (just be sure they are Gen 2 before purchase). I will report back once I hook it up, but I feel much better about this plan of action, so thanks so much for the advice!

Hope you think you made the right call. Absolutely no regrets here! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just further commenting on the quality of the Power Supply for the Port. Why is this not visibly labeled   with the output specs and country of origin (we know where from anyway)? The 13 Amp connector does not appear to have a replaceable fuse either. I discovered tiny printing etched on the connector end but is too small to read. This is the worst power supply that I have encountered on an electrical product to date. The only reason for providing a low voltage power supply is that electrical products can be cheaply made overseas with no H&S risk and can be supplied worldwide with a country specific adapter like this. Reverting back to my Connect for a better subjective sound. Port is being returned shortly does not give me any feeling of equivalent quality.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Updating my earlier comments concerning Sonos support finding a solution to reinstate my Boost and Connect as a separate system under S1. Giving credit where it is due, the problem was solved over a further Sonos chat session this morning. On this occasion another support team member took over the transcript and the problem was sorted fairly quickly using an alternative approach. I felt like giving this a mention because I have been openly critical recently on this forum, concerning my dissatisfaction with the Port. Now that my S1 set-up has been restored I feel in a joyous mood, as I’m able to return the Port finally back to port. To me the S1 App interface appears clearer and has a default fixed output when connecting to digital. The S2 App allows variable output over digital, this can be made fixed as an option, however I found this too easy to revert back to the volume control slider by touching a tiny button next to this inadvertently. I also did not like the background colour changing to suit the album art covers in my music library, often reverting to a dirty brown, enough said about that though. That’s all folks.

The S2 App allows variable output over digital, this can be made fixed as an option, however I found this too easy to revert back to the volume control slider by touching a tiny button next to this inadvertently.

I’ve no idea what this means. A tiny button next to the volume slider? There is no tiny button on Now Playing which would switch Fixed Volume to Variable. On the left there’s Mute; on the right the rooms picker for grouping. In the middle, just a dead bar saying “Fixed Volume”.

This is perhaps no longer relevant to you but:

Just further commenting on the quality of the Power Supply for the Port. Why is this not visibly labeled   with the output specs and country of origin (we know where from anyway)?

It is. 12V 1A. China.

The 13 Amp connector does not appear to have a replaceable fuse either.

For a SMPS of that rating a replaceable fuse has to be a rarity. I’ve yet to meet a ‘wall wart’ USB charger with one, and they’re typically rated at up to 12W output for just a single port, with multi-port units commonplace.

I discovered tiny printing etched on the connector end but is too small to read.

See above.

This is the worst power supply that I have encountered on an electrical product to date. The only reason for providing a low voltage power supply is that electrical products can be cheaply made overseas with no H&S risk and can be supplied worldwide with a country specific adapter like this. 

Perhaps that’s a factor, but it also avoids the proximity of mains voltage to sensitive audio parts. There are several respected audio vendors I can immediately think of who use outboard PSUs. It's not as if the demands placed on a device like Port require reserves of transient power.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The $2 Port power supplies can backwards infiltrate the mains supply with electrical noise. A mid price low voltage linear power supply will cost 100% over the Port. I’ve gone to some lengths in getting best possible fidelity from my Connect, proportionate to it’s cost. I have achieved this by using an MCRU mains lead into a six way Iso-Tex mains block, connected with an even a higher grade MCRU cable to a new noise filtered un-switched power socket outlet. All-in cost for this, taking 1/6 of the cost for the shared six-way mains block and MCRU final connection cable and the full the cost of MCRU mains cable to the Connect is around £200, (lower than to upgrade the Port). The end result has been outstanding, the Port simply isn't in the same league. Said enough now to rattle the usual cages.

Boy, am I glad I quit focusing solely on the equipment some years ago, and started listening to the music. 

The $2 Port power supplies can backwards infiltrate the mains supply with electrical noise. A mid price low voltage linear power supply will cost 100% over the Port. I’ve gone to some lengths in getting best possible fidelity from my Connect, proportionate to it’s cost. I have achieved this by using an MCRU mains lead into a six way Iso-Tex mains block, connected with an even a higher grade MCRU cable to a new noise filtered un-switched power socket outlet. All-in cost for this, taking 1/6 of the cost for the shared six-way mains block and MCRU final connection cable and the full the cost of MCRU mains cable to the Connect is around £200, (lower than to upgrade the Port). The end result has been outstanding, the Port simply isn't in the same league. Said enough now to rattle the usual cages.

And of course you have conducted a rigorous, level matched, double blind test to prove your findings (and I bet this rattles you far more than you have rattled us)? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Further to being cross-examined over the tiny button next to the volume slider on S2, I confess that you are right, the button exists, but is not for the purpose of releasing the volume slider. I have my iPad in front of me now playing Pachelbel Adagio in landscape orientation. The volume slider moves and is presently at maximum position. I’m now going to Settings… System… Select the Room… Volume limit and reset this to maximum allowed volume. Now moving back to Room playing Pachelbel the volume slider is still fully to the right. There is a little symbol that looks like a TV screen which I have referred to as being a button. Pressing this a pop-up displays the track now playing and the room setting. I have now realised that volume limits can be made to suit individual room settings. I have not found a way to immobilise the volume slider as is the default for S1 for using the digital output, which I find annoying having only 2 locations in use.

I have not found a way to immobilise the volume slider as is the default for S1 for using the digital output, which I find annoying having only 2 locations in use.

Settings → System → Room_name → Line-Out → Line-Out Level

If you’ve been adjusting the volume limit all along while leaving the Line-Out as Variable, rather than Fixed, then it potentially explains the ‘night and day’ differences between Port and Connect. As I remarked in an earlier post there is evidence that Port uses more DSP in Variable, to protect the S/PDIF from clipping.

In Fixed Volume mode there should be zero difference, whether the SMPS is inside the enclosure or at a safe distance in an outboard PSU.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you for pointing this out, i’ll check over the settings once more.