Answered

anybody replaced their Connect with a Port?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

109 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This really is the end of this saga! Updated just in case anyone else finds themselves in the same position. Returned the Port to Sonos today. Picked up a reduced new Gen 2 Connect from Richer Sounds instead. £200 less & a much more spacious & natural sound than the Port. The Port is ok for casual listening but if you want to get lost in the music the Connect is just so much better! I was hoping that the S2 update would somehow ‘open up’ the Port but alas it was not to be! Maybe Sonos will address the issue in an update or maybe not. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Is it not as simple a solution as Sonos disabling EQ in variable mode on digital outputs, along with whatever DSP sauce has been added in that mode? With digital outputs to be used with a DAC equipped downstream kit, which will almost certainly have wider ranging tone control/filters that can be used instead. Then the only difference between fixed and variable digital outs will be what is suggested by those descriptions, with variable to be used by those needing the Sonos app volume controls. If fixed can then be transparent, so can variable surely.

Those wanting to use onboard EQ will get it when analog outputs are used. I found these outputs on my Connect to be as good as I could hear back in 2011 in comparison to external DACs that cost many times the price of the Connect, and even if DAC tech has not progressed since then, the Port is very unlikely to have been equipped with a DAC that is audible less capable than the one in my 2011 Connects. Reviews I have read suggest that the Port sounds the same as Connect when analog outputs are used - no surprise there.

And in my case, since my kit downstream of the Connect has tone controls, I leave Sonos EQ in flat condition even using analog outputs.

Totally agree. Why not just give us an option to disable EQ? If you’re using an amp that has Bass & Treble controls anyway. Little use for them on the Connect/Port.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Cheers Ratty! Precisely the answer I was looking for. Hope all is good with you wherever you may be, Might order one today. Plenary of time to try it out whilst I’m stuck at home. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks Buzz. I actually run my Dac using the coaxial output at the moment anyway. Presumably my current set up would be a more hifi sound than the Sonos Amp? Which is the other option. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey Brother Harry,

I think you are absolutely right in your findings. I found the output of the connect to have a much better soundstage & also greater separation between instruments. Another track where I realised the Port was losing its way is ‘B boys making with the freak freak’ from ill communication by the Beastie Boys. The way the Port presents this is absolutely laughable. It’s literally a mess by the time it gets halfway through the first verse. It’s barely recognisable as the same track. The bass line just gets completely eaten up. 

To be honest after living with the Port for a few weeks now I’ve gotten used to it. The thought of having to run my set up with two separate apps was the clincher for me. Totally destroys the whole convenience of a Sonos set up.

I also think a lot of people who own these products either have them running in ceiling speakers or just don’t sit down & listen to music that often. So things like soundstage & separation just don’t get picked up. 

The new product should be better but it most certainly isn’t. 

I’m hoping that S2 will somehow have an effect & improve the sound somehow. 

Soft-knee limiting is common, in order to avoid hard clipping in signals which could otherwise be driven above Full Scale by EQ etc.

Will this limiting come into play where the EQ is set to flat, for digital outputs in variable volume mode?

That’s what appears to happen. The limiting gradually increases as the volume setting heads towards 100%.

And even if that is so, does it come into play only when the volume slider goes past 85% ish? If so, this will not be heard if the Port unit is at say 70% volume with the downstream amp delivering more gain to compensate?

The behaviour I witnessed -- albeit with single-frequency test tones -- suggested it started to cut in above about 85%. Whether it has the effect of compressing the dynamics lower down the volume scale I can’t confirm objectively, but that seems to be what some people are saying. 

Is this limiting the same as was supposed to have been done in Connects some years ago?

Similar I guess. The fault in certain Connects was that the limiter was being applied in Fixed Volume too. 

Will this limiting come into play where the EQ is set to flat, for digital outputs in variable volume mode?

That’s what appears to happen. The limiting gradually increases as the volume setting increases towards 100%.. 

Why then is this not done for Fixed volume digital outputs? Is Variable volume at 100% with flat EQ not the exact equivalent of Fixed volume? Or is it done assuming that EQ will be used in the former case even when it is not actually being used?

@brotherharry In terms of the two Arcam inputs I meant that if you felt the case swung in favour of the Connect when it was plugged into input A and the Port into B, you could put the Port into A and the Connect into B and run the test again. See if you felt the same way. 

The only true test is to capture the digital outputs of the Port and the Connect. Compare them -- literally a file diff -- and also compare with the WAV equivalent of the original file. Recording an analog waveform is rather meaningless. 

@Finbow The idea that the Port’s digital output could be collapsing the soundstage strains comprehension. Are you suggesting some kind of analog crosstalk, between two entirely separate sets of digital data? As I type I have a set of Sennheiser HD650s clamped round my noggin, fed by a small Schiit stack hung off a Port’s digital out. Lack of separation? Er, no way. 

Or was your complaint about the analog output? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I used to use the Pre-outs with ‘Y’ connectors into the sub. I changed it to the connect outs as I was worried that somehow splitting the signal would degrade the sound. The Kef Sub is also connected to my Denon Receiver. I have a switched input so can use the same sub with my AV set up & the Nad.

So, if I keep the volume below 85% in variable mode the output into the DAC will be the same as using ‘fixed’? Or is ‘fixed’ mode the absolute best way of feeding the DAC? 

As the Nad doesn’t have a remote the convenience of using the App for volume is one that I’m loathe to lose. 

I just replaced my perfectly decent (and working) Gen 1 Connect for a new Port and am really regretting that decision. It should have been plug and play but this was not the case.   The Sonos 2 App couldn’t find any of my devices.   Three different calls with Sonos support (approx 5 hours of my time) and the Sonos 2 App can now find my devices however I can no longer play anything through my wired speakers/stereo system as I could with the Connect.  So frustrating.  I’m very close to adding the Connect back into my system and sending the Port back to Sonos; I may look for a Gen 2 Connect since that will work with the Sonos 2 app, though the Sonos 1 app worked just fine for me.

I used to be a big fan of Sonos and had raved about it to many of my friends who ended up purchasing Sonos themselves.  No more. Really disappointed.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @ratty No, mine is plugged in via the coax into an Arcam Rdac. I didn’t say there was a lack separation. I said the separation wasn’t as pronounced or as good as that of the Connect. As I said earlier I’ve gotten used to the sound of the Port now. I did experiment with a new Dac last week. It was a Beresford Caiman Seg. That really opened the sound of the port up. However the Bass was a little too tame for me. So I went back to the Rdac. Do you still have your connect units @ratty?

Arguably if hifi is your rabbit hole then you are not going to be looking at Sonos. But Sonos has so many great qualities it would just be nice if they designed a hifi connection product with what hifi users are looking for and I would upgrade tomorrow. .  

Arguably is right; if one definition of Hifi behaviour when buying kit is spending a lot more than one can afford, and also ruining the home aesthetic in the opinion of the better half, I qualify; and when I decided to be more sensible after over a decade of this, in 2011 I started using Connect directly wired to the line in jacks of my Quad pre amp with no perceived loss of sound quality or diminution in listening pleasure, with significantly enhanced domestic harmony. 

Now, I am just as fine with what I hear from a source such as Echo Show wired to analog inputs on my Connect/Connect Amps. It really comes down to speakers in use and how well they interact with the room. IMO. And the artwork that accompanies each track as is displayed on the Show adds to the experience in my book, while sound quality remains HiFi.

And all are HiFi. Including the Port here as a HiFi component when its analog outputs are used. It seems that when digital outputs are in use, one needs to know what one is doing, which is a pity that Sonos ought to quickly correct.

The other thing about HiFi is that for every HiFi component that is named as such another can be found that will look down on the former with disdain.

On the face of it Variable is geared more towards their needs and Fixed to audiophiles. 

And to whose needs are the analog outputs geared to?:-)) I know they work fine for me...

Now as it turns out I was completely correct & the sound is being ‘managed’ more aggressively via the digital out. Something that only a few posts ago you were was not possible.

Have you tried using the analog out with Variable volume? According to that article the DSP limiting/compression only applies to the digital out, which in retrospect is logical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have you tried using the analog out with Variable volume? According to that article the DSP limiting/compression only applies to the digital out, which in retrospect is logical.

Inspired by this thread, I tried switching my Port over to its analog outputs. Personally, I think it sounds very good (Yamaha AX757SE amp, Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers/stands, KEF subwoofer).

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for the help everyone. Think I’m going to give the Amp try. Just one more question. 
if I decide I want to plug in my Technics turntable at a later date.  Is it possible to plug this into the NAD & then feed the pre-amp of the Nad into the line in on the Sonos Amp?? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Now as it turns out I was completely correct & the sound is being ‘managed’ more aggressively via the digital out. Something that only a few posts ago you were was not possible.

I have Ratty, thanks for asking. I think I said ‘much’ earlier on in the thread that the differences between the analogue outs on both units were minimal. I’d definitely say the Port had a little more clarity than the connect in that respect. However it still doesn’t sound as good (to my ears) as the connect through the Rdac. As I’ve managed to achieve what I wanted to do at the beginning of this thread( which is continue to use my hifi as part of an S2 set up) & only having to splash out £199 in the end I’m quite happy! Sonos also allowed me to carry over my 30% discount after returning the port too. So all in all it’s been a loooong road but it had a happy ending!! 

Inspired by this thread, I tried switching my Port over to its analog outputs. Personally, I think it sounds very good (Yamaha AX757SE amp, Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers/stands, KEF subwoofer).

I am not surprised. I ended up giving away my Musical Fidelity Tube DAC to a friend some years ago, because I could not bring myself to sell something to him that did nothing to the SQ. It even had feet with built in lights that changed colours to let you know it was warmed up enough to deliver its designed performance. I also sold my DAC access equipped Marantz SACD player once I moved to Sonos+ripped to local NAS CDs. For that one I collected money, for since it played CDs!

Some years ago, I came across a DAC that was sold at something like USD 40k. Unbelievable.

PS: it was closer to USD 85k...

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks again all! Just ordered the Amp. I’ll report back here in a week or so & let you know how I get on. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have not found a way to immobilise the volume slider as is the default for S1 for using the digital output, which I find annoying having only 2 locations in use.

Settings → System → Room_name → Line-Out → Line-Out Level

If you’ve been adjusting the volume limit all along while leaving the Line-Out as Variable, rather than Fixed, then it potentially explains the ‘night and day’ differences between Port and Connect. As I remarked in an earlier post there is evidence that Port uses more DSP in Variable, to protect the S/PDIF from clipping.

In Fixed Volume mode there should be zero difference, whether the SMPS is inside the enclosure or at a safe distance in an outboard PSU.

thankyou ratty !

as i mainly use the desktop app, i had no idea re these extra settings for line out/volume limit levels.

subsequently, my ‘volume limit’ was set to 100%.

so, as per your advise elsewhere in this thread i have dropped this to 80% , and boom, my music sounds so much better than ever before.

clearly this has been the cause for my ongoing distortion issues that i mentioned a few weeks ago.

all these years.

better late than never.

thank you.

How are they supposed to “update” something that is already bit-perfect to the source?  

What audiophile uses an external DAC with the variable volume setting?

I have to say, your tone is very antagonistic. I am not & have never claimed to be an audiophile. I simply stated that the Port sounded more compressed & less dynamic than my old connect whilst using variable output. As I’d paid £280 to ‘upgrade’ this bit of kit I was suitably miffed! Now as it turns out I was completely correct & the sound is being ‘managed’ more aggressively via the digital out. Something that only a few posts ago you were saying was not possible.

Please provide a link to where I said it was not possible. I’ll be waiting . . .

Also, one must be wary using the variable output, for unmatched volume levels can account for “differences” heard between two audio samples as much as actual differences.  Matter of fact, the bias for volume is so subtle (yet strong), it can be shown to be present even when the most listeners cannot distinguish a change in volume (usually between 3-5 dB change). Of course, a properly level matched ABX test will shine far more light on what is at work here, but I’ve yet see one, either in the audio press, or here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you for pointing this out, i’ll check over the settings once more.

Boy, am I glad I quit focusing solely on the equipment some years ago, and started listening to the music. 

Lol. Just listening to the music and not using it as a test signal? Get a life, man...:-))

Glad I checked here.  Saw the couple reviews saying the newer, more expensive kit was worse.  It may be only slightly worse, or barely noticeable, if you’re willing to give up variable line out.  But why pay more for slightly worse?  

Opted for a gen 2 connect.  But if someone tries the fixed line out and finds it solves the problem, I’ll be ordering a port.