Dead Play:5 need schematics or tips

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

208 replies

For me, both mids and highs were also without function. I replaced all the capacitors, after that no more problems. 

Ahh if only it were that simple for me. While indeed the caps may be also an issue…..there are so many other blown components on the board 😌

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

For me, both mids and highs were also without function. I replaced all the capacitors, after that no more problems. 

Ahh if only it were that simple for me. While indeed the caps may be also an issue…..there are so many other blown components on the board 😌

How about buying a “for parts only” P5 as usually its the power supply that fails, and swap the amp board from that into this one?

How about buying a “for parts only” P5 as usually its the power supply that fails, and swap the amp board from that into this one?

Yep...that’s certainly an option…..I would just love the satisfaction of being able to repair it though. Its crappy that Sonos can’t provide component lists for discontinued products….even the circuit diagrams...really no reason 😌 

They are going to be in trouble with the European Unions ‘right to repair’ laws…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yep...that’s certainly an option…..I would just love the satisfaction of being able to repair it though. Its crappy that Sonos can’t provide component lists for discontinued products….even the circuit diagrams...really no reason 😌 

They are going to be in trouble with the European Unions ‘right to repair’ laws…..

For devices designed around 15 years ago? I doubt it.

For devices designed around 15 years ago? I doubt it.

For all products they currently sell in Europe…..

I just succesfully repaired my Sonos play5 gen 1. I replaced the bridge rectifier, fuse near the net connection, 2 condensors (100uF, 400V, I used 120 uF) at the powersupply. Near the power supply is a set of 4 smd resistors of 120kOhm. Two were out so I swapped those with classic resistors and finally I replaced the 5 condensors (820 uF, 35V). Now it works! So happy. Thank you all for the info on the forum, it really helped me!

I have a dead Gen 2 Play:5.  Does anyone know what the DC voltage produced after the transformer is?  There are 3 3300uV capacitors there rated for 35V, so I am guessing that it is 24V, but would like confirmation before injecting 24V.  If someone has a working unit, can you please measure the voltage at the points on the left of this image (where I have soldered in two black wires)?

This unit had a bad mosfet (I have removed it and the empty pads are visible in the image).  I tried replacing the mosfet but didn’t have a good match.  When I did this I only got about 15V but it wouldn’t generate enough amperage to allow the device to boot.  When I inject 15V from an external source, it does work.  That tells me that the mosfet I used wouldn’t pass enough power, or there is some other kind of problem causing the voltage sag.

Thanks!

Hi I send you private message. Voltage between those two pints when injected 24V speaker works. But power supply on its own is dead. I'm getting no volatge on the secondary side of the transformer. Why? How to figure it out if transformer is dead? 

I got no voltage on green points of the transformer. 330V DC on primary side. With 24V injected speakers powers up and plays no problem. Anyone can help?