End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

I love Sonos products. They’re expensive but they’re a high quality product so they’re a worthy investment. Personally we now have Sonos devices in almost every room, they’re that good. However there is (quite rightly) an assumption that this kit is built to last. My dad is still using his speakers from the 70s because they were built to last- they technology of the speaker itself hasn’t changed. Of course tech moves quickly, which is why I wanted to get him into the ecosystem by getting him a Sonos amp so he can stream to those ancient speakers.

This announcement tells me that investing in any more Sonos products is a mistake, and I won’t be spending any more money with the brand until we have a cast iron update that they’re rowing back from this idea.

Of course the tech portion is going to date- I’m not expecting my old Sonos amp to support Alexa, or the latest wifi standards. There should be two options in my opinion:

1. Legacy products remain connected to the Sonos net, can be grouped etc but don’t get any of the new features.
  2. The physical hardware needs to be either user replaceable in future models, or you need to be able to take your kit in for an upgrade.

Don’t get me started on the environmental impact. Refuse, reduce, reuse, recycle. You’ve jumped straight to number 4, I think for now I’ll stop at number 1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Any device being added to a network updates its firmware to match the environment its entering at that time. There should be no change to that. If you're adding a new/modern device to a legacy environment, this should still hold true. (I suspect you’ll be a choice as to which you’d like to do at that time.) That’s my understanding
@Ryan S , this would be one time, amidst the fray of this thread, it’d be nice for a quick pop-in.

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build  it will still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

That’s really good to hear Ryan, thank you for confirming that info.

Would you need to keep software updates turned on or off, to maintain in that state?

Generally speaking, it’s best to leave updates on, but with a legacy system I wouldn’t expect much in the way of updates. They’ll come only when absolutely needed, and only when possible. 

Any device being added to a network updates its firmware to match the environment its entering at that time. There should be no change to that. If you're adding a new/modern device to a legacy environment, this should still hold true. (I suspect you’ll be a choice as to which you’d like to do at that time.) That’s my understanding
@Ryan S , this would be one time, amidst the fray of this thread, it’d be nice for a quick pop-in.

But even if the firmware is the same, there has to be individual parts of the firmware to suit the different speakers and configuration.

So what will happen when Sonos releases a new product, will they update the old legacy firmware to support the new device, so that i can buy it and have it “downgrade” to “legacy” firmware ?

Ryan cleared this up above.

To be very clear, it will still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale right now to a legacy system. 

How is the mood around the office, ryan?

I’m not sure, I’ve been home sick for three days and I’m just checking in here on my day off to answer a few questions where I can.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the position is regarding on-going software updates for the play 3?

It seems it is too old to receive an Airplay 2 upgrade but not old enough to stop receiving software updates after May 2020. Is this correct or did software updates for the play 3 stop prior to this recent announcement?

Given the relatively similar hardware specification of both the play 5 gen 1 and play 3, a decision to stop software updates for the play 5 gen 1, but continue them for the play 3, looks a bit suspect if it is being justified on the grounds of hardware limitations.

Sonos have committed to supporting speakers for a minimum of 5 years after they discontinue sales. So they are kerping a promise, not that anybody on tbis thread is going to believe that. 

Also, the P:3 has twice the RAM of the p:5 gen 1 I believe.

Thanks for the quickly reply. So if Sonos keep their promise we can look forward to play 3 updates until July 2023 (as I believe sales stopped in July 2018). 

Double the ram would make a difference if you are referring to the flash memory which holds the firmware, but not if you are referring to the temporary ram used to buffer the music being streamed. Will try to find the full hardware specs online and report back.

Update:

Found the below chart on reddit which confirms both types of ram doubled between the play 5 gen 1 and play 3. The chart may also help other Sonos users assess which devices have the longest upgrade life based on their memory and storage capabilities. 

Link to full reddit page: (in case the image is stripped from this post):

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/dip1pb/sonos_hardware_memory_chart/

This chart is useful - thanks! Except for one important aspect that Sonos is not relieving publicly.  The link in my “End-of-Life” email from Sonos a few days ago shows seemingly identical connect amps and connects (old ZP120 and ZP80/90s) as both Modern and Legacy.  How can this be?  Well Sonos has apparently been slip-streaming more memory and processor power into the newer builds of the Connect, Connect Amp and probably more. That’s why I have both Connect and Connect Amps that are both old and new.  Of course other than a tiny symbol on the front volume rocker switch (vol = old, wedge icon = new) you can’t really tell.  

So a few things come to mind. 

1. Be very careful if you intent to purchase used Sonos gear to enhance your system. 

2. Be very careful if you purchase these from retailers that might have new or old inventory in their mix. 

3. For some of us who want to just purchase a few newer Connect or Connect Amps so we can get past this May shut-out/forced obsolesce/split system issue, There may be some economical options out there instead of the reduced functionality (and stupid expense) of the Amp and Port or the environmental disaster of the “trade-in” program.  Of course Sonos isn’t clear about how much longer their so-called (Modern) units will be supported either. 

1. Why hasn’t Sonos mentioned this issue for what reasons?  Ryan, please chime in if you can.
  2. Sonos can put a band-aid on the wound (temporarily) if they offered those of us (and there are many from this forum alone) their cost-of-goods price for their remaining inventory of these (they must have some now that inventory as been dropped/sent back from hundreds of stores/online retailers).  I received one of these Modern units just last year from a warranty trade-out.  Which reminds me - the wonderful California-based support team are just that - wonderful!).     

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

For what it’s worth, I noticed in another thread that what this whole thing is about is some planned software changes that will appear later this year - looks like Sonos has been trying to prepare us for these, so that they would work for most of us.

Old devices that cannot run the new software therefore needed an upgrade, and possibly Sonos found their 30% offer to be a great help for us.

With this in mind, we should be able to just ignore the upgrade offer for now, wait and see what the new software is all about when it arrives, and then decide to upgrade if that should make sense for us.

That, of course, still leaves those with both legacy and modern devices in a situation, where they need to let the whole set run in legacy mode until the release of that software and the decisions that must follow.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

How do you know if a speakers been bricked on the trade in program? I’m tempted to take a punt on another gen1 play 5 secondhand and create a stereo pair, for the money they’re going for I’m reasoning that If I get 1-2 years out of the pair I’m happy by which point I’d be well on with my replacement program from another brand. Ive just received the look from the wife when she seen me eyeing the B&W formation duo (married men will know that look well lol ) so maybe just the wedge for now 😉 however a stereo pair of 5s in my study 4mx4m room would sound pretty good I think. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

not great. The wording of that clarification, whilst on the face of it seems to try and backtrack...they haven't stated specifically that the units will work fully for as long as you want them. Imagine spending 2k on a HiFi system only to have to replace it in 5 years because the manufacturer deliberately built it of parts that were non replaceable and would only last 5 years. really angry about this.

I was in the proces of acquiring a Sonos SUB for my Playbar + 2 Play 1 “sorround sound”

Come may, i wont even be ABLE to buy that one and incorporate it into my setup, because i will be in legacy mode to keep my Play 5 in the loop, and a new SUB will probably have new firmware out of the box, that can not be downgraded to run in legacy mode.

So they not only angered a lot of current costumers, making them not want to upgrade, they also prevented anyone with a legacy system from buying any new sonos products in the future because the new units can not be enrolled in a legacy system.

How’s that, for a poor “Lets trip ourselves up big time” decision

This isn’t accurate as to my understanding. One thing Sonos has stated is that it will be possible to add a newly purchased modern device to a legacy network. But quite honestly, financially, if you’re in legacy only, purchase Sonos sub from the used market instead.

The only time this would not be possible (in your instance particular) is if you’ve split the network into 1 for legacy devices and 1 for modern devices, your surround system is on legacy and you’re trying to add the sub to the modern system. (Clear as mud?)
Short answer - if you only run a legacy network to keep everything grouped and happy as it is today (which is what I’ll do), it will possible to add a new device to that environment, regardless of the firmware it ships with initially.

If I’ve missed some communication (entirely possible) that directly contradicts this please point to it.  

Have they said you can add a New modern item to a legacy system?  I had concluded from all the comms that you could not. If legacy and modern have to operate separately, as I think they are saying how would that work?

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build it’ll still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

Whoa Ryan, are you actually saying that a system currently containing Play:5 Gen 1 and Play:3 speakers (i.e. legacy and modern) will continue to work as it does at present even after May? If I understand correctly what you are saying here, I will have one system with a mix of generations. I understand that no further updates will be applied to the Play:5 speakers (and presumably to the Play:3 units as well).

What would I have to do to freeze the software level at that point after May? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

How do you know if a speakers been bricked on the trade in program? I’m tempted to take a punt on another gen1 play 5 secondhand and create a stereo pair, for the money they’re going for I’m reasoning that If I get 1-2 years out of the pair I’m happy by which point I’d be well on with my replacement program from another brand. Ive just received the look from the wife when she seen me eyeing the B&W formation duo (married men will know that look well lol ) so maybe just the wedge for now 😉 however a stereo pair of 5s in my study 4mx4m room would sound pretty good I think. 

I read the bricking can take a few days, so be careful buying used. EBay does w good job protecting buyers (and occasionally screwing sellers) in my experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How do you know if a speakers been bricked on the trade in program? 

Here is my suggestion

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/one-way-to-identify-a-traded-sonos-device-6836301

Userlevel 2

About this collaboration with IKEA

“The result of this collaboration is a range of speakers that don’t read as speakers at all but as adaptable pieces of furniture for your home”

With this built in planned obsolescence business model, how is that going to work Swedish IKEA?

I’m not sure they will want their branded furniture to be associated with this model.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

... For some of us who want to just purchase a few newer Connect or Connect Amps so we can get past this May shut-out/forced obsolesce/split system issue, There may be some economical options out there instead of the reduced functionality (and stupid expense) of the Amp and Port or the environmental disaster of the “trade-in” program.  Of course Sonos isn’t clear about how much longer their so-called (Modern) units will be supported either...​​​​​​

@kassey22000, I know it’s buried several times in the pages of this thread and others, but we’ve committed to supporting our products with updates for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us, after they’ve been discontinued. And as you all know, we have a track record of doing so for much longer than that. The 2015 Connect and Connect:Amps are only recently no longer sold, or in some cases still available at very limited stock levels. So you’re looking at at least five years worth of updates from when they were discontinued.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build  it will still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

That’s really good to hear Ryan, thank you for confirming that info.

Would you need to keep software updates turned on or off, to maintain in that state?

Generally speaking, it’s best to leave updates on, but with a legacy system I wouldn’t expect much in the way of updates. They’ll come only when absolutely needed, and only when possible. 

Thank you very much for the update Ryan.
Obviously I’d prefer full updates, but this is better than nothing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I read the bricking can take a few days, so be careful buying used. EBay does w good job protecting buyers (and occasionally screwing sellers) in my experience.

How do you know if a speakers been bricked on the trade in program? 

Here is my suggestion

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/one-way-to-identify-a-traded-sonos-device-6836301

Thank you gents, it’s eBay I was looking on very little money for decent speakers which paired up in a small room would sound excellent imo 

Userlevel 3
Badge

So are we done getting updates till May?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build it’ll still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

Whoa Ryan, are you actually saying that a system currently containing Play:5 Gen 1 and Play:3 speakers (i.e. legacy and modern) will continue to work as it does at present even after May? If I understand correctly what you are saying here, I will have one system with a mix of generations. I understand that no further updates will be applied to the Play:5 speakers (and presumably to the Play:3 units as well).

What would I have to do to freeze the software level at that point after May? 

@FarFromGruntled, that’s correct. From the original message above:

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

In May, when the legacy change comes, you’ll be able to set your whole Sonos system on the legacy build (both modern and legacy devices). Any existing modern speakers that come along with your legacy devices onto that build will work exactly as the have been, however the whole system (including the modern devices that move to legacy) won’t regularly update. Any new features that come to Sonos won’t be added to any of those speakers while they’re on legacy software. Over time, some services may require updates to keep going and we’ll do what we can to provide them, but we will be limited to do so by the hardware of those legacy devices.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

... For some of us who want to just purchase a few newer Connect or Connect Amps so we can get past this May shut-out/forced obsolesce/split system issue, There may be some economical options out there instead of the reduced functionality (and stupid expense) of the Amp and Port or the environmental disaster of the “trade-in” program.  Of course Sonos isn’t clear about how much longer their so-called (Modern) units will be supported either...​​​​​​

@kassey22000, I know it’s buried several times in the pages of this thread and others, but we’ve committed to supporting our products with updates for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us, after they’ve been discontinued. And as you all know, we have a track record of doing so for much longer than that. The 2015 Connect and Connect:Amps are only recently no longer sold, or in some cases still available at very limited stock levels. So you’re looking at at least five years worth of updates from when they were discontinued.

I still find that it would be a good move to make a list somewhere at your website with all products and their planned retirement date, along with info on what kind of updates and support can be expected before and after that date.

If you want to set a date for the complete shutdown of all support for a device, this should be mentioned there as well.

Such information can help people plan in a reasonable way with necessary maintenance of their systems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

So are we done getting updates till May?

@Danos1, assuming you mean software updates, there probably are a few more to come to all devices before the legacy changeover in May.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don’t forget Craig’s List and similar sites. St Vincent’s, Goodwill and yard / estate sales are goldmines too.

Somebody just picked up a play 5 and Play 3 for seven bucks each over on the (not an official Sonos site) Sonos reddit.

Userlevel 2

“The result of this collaboration is a range of speakers that don’t read as speakers at all but as adaptable pieces of furniture for your home”

With this built in planned obsolescence business model, how is that going to work Swedish IKEA?

I’m not sure they will want their branded furniture to be associated with this model.

needless to say, I’m not sure IKEA want their brand to be associated with the environmental impact of this strategy

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Does anyone think that some of the higher-up boneheads in the Sonos chain of command could learn a lot from @Ryan S 's example?

Commitment and loyalty to customer service and showing the customer the utmost respect, whilst simultaneously enhancing the brand's reputation by dealing with queries efficiently, politely and in as much detail as possible despite the scant information he's allowed to discuss.

This is the essence of what Sonos is/was, which some within the company seem to have forgotten in pursuit of the dollar.

I'm sure a lot of Sonos staff are extremely unhappy at the path the company has chosen and I hope an amicable solution can be found, but the ball continues to be firmly within the Sonos court.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

needless to say, I’m not sure IKEA want their brand to be associated with the environmental impact of this strategy

Who knows what they are thinking with regards to the environment, but IKEA is a company that provides a lot of things to be replaced often. Not much of what they sell is meant to, or even able to last for more than a couple of years.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I'm sorry Ryan, but this was not what I was told when I brought into the sonos concept. It was sold as a hifi streaming system which could be added to make a truly remarkable system. But now products have an EOL policy, let me put it this way if I were to see a cake that cost £50 and I know that cake has a sell by date of a week. And there was another cake that costs £20 but has no use by date which one would you buy?? But again you have the £50 cake and the £20 cake both have no use by date, you buy the £50 cake as it a better quality but find out later it does have a use by date how would you feel about that.you would think I might as well got the £20 cake, this is exactly what sonos has done and frankly has killed the brand. Sonos may come up with this solution or that explanation of what will happen but non of the statementments returns us to the status que we had when we brought our systems. The sonos board ignore this fact at the company's peril but it's not to late to turn this around but I fear you won't.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Dial in to the Sonos earnings call on Feb 5.    The owners (shareholders) will be listing and there is a Q&A with the CEO.   Everyone please dial in and state your unhappiness or questions directly to him with his bosses listening.   Please repost  if you’d like - I think SONOS keeps deleting info. 

Feb. 5 at  5:00 p.m. Eastern Time 

calling from inside US  (833) 236-2748, with conference ID 9666837. 

calling from outside US  (647) 689-4173, with the same conference ID.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Just looking at that memory chart someone posted earlier play 3s and play ones must be next and I own 2 of each of them but even more worryingly the gen2 play 5 cant be far behind and that’s what they’re asking us to trade up to from a gen 1.

I for one need much more clarity on what’s happening and future plans before I even contemplate looking at Sonos again, I think the only way to go in future with any system is as other have posted buying decent conventional systems hard wired and controlling them through something like an amazon input easily and cheaply replaced as needed whilst the meat of your system remains.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@kassey22000

But now products have an EOL policy, let me put it this way if I were to see a cake that cost £50 and I know that cake has a sell by date of a week. And there was another cake that costs £20 but has no use by date which one would you buy?? But again you have the £50 cake and the £20 cake both have no use by date, you buy the £50 cake as it a better quality but find out later it does have a use by date how would you feel about that.you would think I might as well got the £20 cake, this is exactly what sonos has done and frankly has killed the brand. 

2400 posts in and this is the best analogy yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge

https://www.zdnet.com/article/so-long-sonos-meet-the-open-source-audio-system-that-will-never-die/