End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 2

Just got this gem of an email (below).  Seems like they just aren’t listenting and plan on pushing through irrespective of the customer’s very clear response.

Just got this gem of an email (below).  Seems like they just aren’t listenting and plan on pushing through irrespective of the customer’s very clear response.

Yes, I think anyone who has one of the (declared) sonos legacy devices can now get 30% off a new modern sonos product/speaker set. I assume that is now the Sonos ‘offer' for having to perhaps split your Sonos System, come June 2020, into what many are calling S1 and S2 Households… I guess the good bit is you can still apparently continue to use the old legacy products, rather than recycle them… so passing them onto friends and family is what I will be doing. 

Userlevel 2

Yes, I think anyone who has one of the (declared) sonos legacy devices can now get 30% off a new modern sonos product/speaker set. I assume that is now the Sonos ‘offer' for having to perhaps split your Sonos System, come June 2020, into what many are calling S1 and S2 Households… I guess the good bit is you can still apparently continue to use the old legacy products, rather than recycle them… so passing them onto friends and family is what I will be doing. 

If you read the terms of service for their upgrade program it clearly states that the discount code is only applied to your account after you log in and “recycle” your perfectly good legacy device which will brick it in 21 days. So, no, you cannot accept the 30% discount and continue to use your legacy device or give it to a friend.

Userlevel 2

I had actually forgotten how furious I was with Sonos for the whole modern vs legacy issue.  Their pushing it out as a “hey look at this great program we’ve got going in the middle of a GD pandemic” really drives it back home for me.

Perhaps they’re just preparing everyone for the rage they will feel come June, when they’ll have a bunch of locked-in consumers with nothing else to do with their time but shop for alternative speaker solutions.

If you read the terms of service for their upgrade program it clearly states that the discount code is only applied to your account after you log in and “recycle” your perfectly good legacy device which will brick it in 21 days. So, no, you cannot accept the 30% discount and continue to use your legacy device or give it to a friend.

Incorrect.  Read the current terms and conditions, you no longer need to recycle your legacy product.

So is this (see below link) not true then?

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-05-sonos-kills-its-device-bricking-recycle-mode.html

Ah I see Danny has answered my question… thank-you.👍

So we can trade-up and pass-on the old legacy Sonos devices. My kids will be well-pleased to receive them, I’m sure.. 😄

I think a 30% discount offer is more than fair in that situation.

Although it’s been a month, I can see where people may still be unaware of the change in the trade up program.

Userlevel 2

Incorrect.  Read the current terms and conditions, you no longer need to recycle your legacy product.

Follow the link you provided contains this text (in a seemingly duplicate section 2/3 down the page):

HOW IT WORKS

1. Visit https://www.sonos.com/tradeup to learn about the program.
  2. Sign into your Sonos account on http://www.sonos.com.
  3. View the devices registered to your account in the System tab. Qualifying Products that are eligible for the Trade Up Program will be clearly marked under your account. Navigate to the Trade Up tab within your account, and follow the recycling instruction steps for each Qualifying Product. You will be directed to initiate Recycle Mode from within My Account, and subsequently confirm within the Sonos App.
  4. Following initiation of Recycle Mode within your account open the Sonos App, while at home on the WiFi network associated with your Sonos System, and follow the prompts to confirm Recycle Mode for the Qualifying Products you selected on sonos.com
  5. Promptly following confirmation of the recycling process in the Sonos App, your Discount Credit will be reflected and available for use anytime your are logged into the “My Account” section of sonos.com.

Follow the link you provided contains this text (in a seemingly duplicate section 2/3 down the page):

HOW IT WORKS

3. View the devices registered to your account in the System tab. Qualifying Products that are eligible for the Trade Up Program will be clearly marked under your account. Navigate to the Trade Up tab within your account, and follow the recycling instruction steps for each Qualifying Product. You will be directed to initiate Recycle Mode from within My Account, and subsequently confirm within the Sonos App.
  4. Following initiation of Recycle Mode within your account open the Sonos App, while at home on the WiFi network associated with your Sonos System, and follow the prompts to confirm Recycle Mode for the Qualifying Products you selected on sonos.com
  5. Promptly following confirmation of the recycling process in the Sonos App, your Discount Credit will be reflected and available for use anytime your are logged into the “My Account” section of sonos.com.

And there is also this statement a few sections above it.

The Sonos Trade Up Program and Promotional Period, each as defined below, has ended as of 12:00 Pacific time, March 10, 2020, and the following Sonos Trade Up Program Terms and Conditions have been terminated as of that date and time.

Not a lawyer, but it appears to me that the section below is left in for those who already traded in prior to March 10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

HOW IT WORKS

Hi ASWilson, that’s the old Trade Up Terms, if you look a little higher up on that same page you got that from, there’s an update:

HOW IT WORKS

2. Sign into your Sonos account (“Your Account”) on http://www.sonos.com.
  3. View the products registered to your account in the System tab. Qualifying Products that are eligible for the Trade Up Upgrade Program will be clearly marked under Your Account. Navigate to the Trade Up tab within Your Account, and follow the instruction steps for each Qualifying Product. You will be directed to accept these terms & conditions in order to receive your Discount Credit.
  4. Your Discount Credit will be reflected and available for use anytime you are logged into the “My Account” section of sonos.com.

The old terms are still listed for now, but the update is for any new people using Trade Up on eligible legacy products.

Edit: melvimbe beat me to it.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for clarifying for me, folks. I’m not a lawyer and found the duplicate sections confusing. 

Yes, thank-you for clarifying things Danny (and Ryan S)… I was sure I had read that was now the case. 

It is an extremely good offer, a 30% discount voucher for each one of my older Sonos legacy products and the old devices will still continue to work… that’s excellent.👍

I had actually forgotten how furious I was with Sonos for the whole modern vs legacy issue.  Their pushing it out as a “hey look at this great program we’ve got going in the middle of a GD pandemic” really drives it back home for me.

Perhaps they’re just preparing everyone for the rage they will feel come June, when they’ll have a bunch of locked-in consumers with nothing else to do with their time but shop for alternative speaker solutions.

When did May morph into June?

Sonos can be incredibly stupid, way beyond what I thought they were in January. It isn't just locked in consumers having time or even the ability to shop for alternatives, but having to deal with the turbulence that Sonos will cause in a few households when they find that things with existing systems break and Sonos resources to support these issues are themselves locked down.

At a time when most of us are dealing with all sort of things coming down the pipe, I would dearly love to have what Spence and his team seem to be smoking, that permits them to not announce that this May event is now on ice. This is now way beyond ostriches with their heads buried in the sand and rear ends flapping in the breeze.

I honestly don't care though; all I hope is that my workarounds for dealing with any Sonos stupidity in May or beyond still work in a way that my legacy kit remains functional in dumb speaker mode. There is no counting on anything useful coming from Sonos Support in the days to come, with EU support in particular plumbing new depths of incompetence even before the lockdowns started.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Having had a few trade up emails over the past few months and originally complaining to CEO, P Spence, and now seeing the latest change in policy from Sonos, I thought I would follow the trade up links.

However, the fear aspect of the bricking resides, (web site looks so similar), and now the “Bridge trade up (30% off) to boost emails” from Dec no longer works !! (I have two)

Now looking through 160 pages of this thread I am totally confused as to whether to jump and trade up, cause I want to use my redundant play 5 in a separate household with a new sonos one.

like many I’ve spent a lot of money on products over 10 years, and to be fair to Sonos they did replace a three year old Play3 over Christmas FOC after complaining and not accepting support response.

June 2020 was initially mentioned in the media articles that referred to the changes in the Sonos trade-up scheme and was subsequently mentioned in this Sonos official publication (see link below). I think Sonos said that the detail will be announced in May, but the switch looks like it will be in June. I don’t think anything has altered there.🤔

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

I will just add that the Covid-19 lockdown/isolation issues we now see in many countries was certainly not in people’s minds at the time of the initial Sonos announcements, so whether that may alter the planned Sonos timetable, remains to be seen, I guess.

Having had a few trade up emails over the past few months and originally complaining to CEO, P Spence, and now seeing the latest change in policy from Sonos, I thought I would follow the trade up links.

However, the fear aspect of the bricking resides, (web site looks so similar), and now the “Bridge trade up (30% off) to boost emails” from Dec no longer works !! (I have two)

Sonos have officially announced and published the new terms saying they will not deactivate the legacy products that are traded up as of  12.00 hours 10th March 2020 (Pacific time). See the earlier posts in this thread from Melvimbe and Ryan S. If you still have doubts about the new Sonos policy, I would perhaps email your local Sonos Support Desk to confirm things in writing directly with them. Hope that may help to put your mind at rest before you decide to trade-up.

As it stands, it does seem to be a very good scheme and the discount vouchers are at least now going someway to address the early concerns arising from the initial Sonos announcement for customers who invested in the early Sonos products.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

As it stands, it does seem to be a very good scheme and the discount vouchers are at least now going someway to address the early concerns arising from the initial Sonos announcement for customers who invested in the early Sonos products.

Thanks for the response

Currently many retailers are offering discounts on Sonos products of 20%, clearly on-line and these are around most of the year.

So a further 10% discount for many who have already spent significant sums of money seems rather mean, therefore I would not consider this as a very good scheme, should be 50%. 

How many other manufacturers can say they have 10+ variants of fundamentally the same product in people’s homes.

Even Apple might struggle to reach 7-8 items.

The trade-up section of the web site needs a revamp, because even now I do not trust it.

Why is the BRIDGE not included in the scheme (to BOOST) which it was back in Dec? Have the email and link no longer works.

Ian.

Thanks for the response

Currently many retailers are offering discounts on Sonos products of 20%, clearly on-line and these are around most of the year.

So a further 10% discount for many who have already spent significant sums of money seems rather mean, therefore I would not consider this as a very good scheme, should be 50%. 

How many other manufacturers can say they have 10+ variants of fundamentally the same product in people’s homes.

Even Apple might struggle to reach 7-8 items.

The trade-up section of the web site needs a revamp, because even now I do not trust it.

Why is the BRIDGE not included in the scheme (to BOOST) which it was back in Dec? Have the email and link no longer works.

Ian.

There’s a lot of discounts going around at the moment on all type of 'goods' here in the U.K. and there is a sale on the U.K. Sonos website, so I have recently purchased some further Sonos One speaker’s .. I noticed the last device I purchased also has a 'two year’ warranty too shown on its invoice. I guess every business out there is doing all it can to maintain their turnover etc. 

I have two Sonos Bridges too,  but in truth they are sat in a cupboard, so not sure I can ‘honestly’ trade up those, but in any event I have a Boost already, but if I were to need a Boost i would perhaps give the local Sonos customer support desk a call or email and politely see what the situation is with those devices. “If you don’t ask ...etc... “

I’m not quite sure it really did.  I expect that the last update that S1s (legacy) will get will be in May.  The first update for S2 only will be in June.  That’s the way I interpreted it.   Does it really matter though?  You do not have to do anything in May or June, you can stay on S1 for as long as you want and move to S2 at a later date if you wish.    

I will just add that the Covid-19 lockdown/isolation issues we now see in many countries was certainly not in people’s minds at the time of the initial Sonos announcements, so whether that may alter the planned Sonos timetable, remains to be seen, I guess.

I am not saying that Sonos should have known about the size of the pandemic back on January 20th. Few did, so a usually short sighted Sonos had no chance at all.

But by the first week of March, the writing was on the wall as clear as day for any intelligent person that had his eyes open, let alone highly paid corporate planner types that are supposedly more intelligent than the ordinary citizen, about what the impact of the disaster was going to be.

Sonos were abysmally late in ditching their stupid recycling/bricking scheme, so I suppose it was a mistake to think that they would react differently to the pandemic and its effects.

I know what I am going to do - stay on version 11 for all my kit till this pandemic is over. I won't take chances with any Sonos foul ups in trying to jump to even this S1 stuff. 11.0 is working fine for me just now, so there I will stay - I don't need anything more from Sonos beyond 11.0.

I am not saying that Sonos should have known about the size of the pandemic back on January 20th. Few did, so a usually short sighted Sonos had no chance at all.

But by the first week of March, the writing was on the wall as clear as day for any intelligent person that had his eyes open, let alone highly paid corporate planner types that are supposedly more intelligent than the ordinary citizen, about what the impact of the disaster was going to be.

Sonos were abysmally late in ditching their stupid recycling/bricking scheme, so I suppose it was a mistake to think that they would react differently to the pandemic and its effects.

I know what I am going to do - stay on version 11 for all my kit till this pandemic is over. I won't take chances with any Sonos foul ups in trying to jump to even this S1 stuff. 11.0 is working fine for me just now, so there I will stay - I don't need anything more from Sonos beyond 11.0.

I’m not sure why you see the pandemic and the current ‘stay at home’ policy should or would cause Sonos to consider perhaps delaying, or halting, their announced plan?

It’s now clear that people can continue to run their sonos systems exactly as they do now by remaining on the S1 Legacy App system (as some now seem to refer to it) in which case their products will still operate perfectly, as they do now, albeit with no further ‘new features’ being applied post May, just security updates etc; but that’s as and when those become available. So no huge change there at all in the short to medium term.

People can ‘kick any decision‘ to alter their Sonos system down the road until a later date, if they so wish.

Other users who ‘choose themselves’ to move onto the S2 modern App system, will however likely reap some benefit immediately, it appears, from higher resolution audio and some kind of new grouping features. 

I’m guessing there will also be some other stuff besides and quite possibly some new Sonos hardware released in June (perhaps🤔?) We all know though, that’s really anyone’s guess, so we shall have to wait and see.

Those things are likely to benefit us folk who decide to continue to invest in sonos products and I for one will be trading-up my older devices for discounted new ones and passing on my legacy items to family and friends, for them to use during the likely ongoing lockdown and difficult times that may still lie ahead. 

So I see everyone hopefully benefitting from that, as it means others too will have access to all the entertainment that a Sonos System provides.

So I do not see a reason to delay/halt the Sonos plans for May/June at this time, unless I’ve somehow misunderstood what you were eluding to in your post?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

So I do not see a reason to delay/halt the Sonos plans for May/June at this time, unless I’ve somehow misunderstood what you were eluding to in your post?

Are you alluding to the possibility that he is escaping from Sonos? :wink:

What in Sonos patching history makes you think that Sonos is going to screw up their next patch?  No there patching has not been perfect, no one every is, however they have always addressed whatever bugs are reported. Seems like extra work for little if any benefit. The thing I’d be concerned about with locking down to 11.0, instead of proceeding to the last S1 version, is that it may make it very difficult to ever migrate to S2, without doing a factory reset of all your units. I suppose if your hellbent on staying 11.0 no matter what, with 0% chance of ever moving on, then it makes sense.

I’m not sure why you see the pandemic and the current ‘stay at home’ policy should or would cause Sonos to consider perhaps delaying, or halting, their announced plan?

I haven’t heard the reasoning behind that either. 

Huh? How did you come to that conclusion? Ken wasn’t eluding to anything, he was asking for clarification of what Kumar was alluding to.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Huh? How did you come to that conclusion? Ken wasn’t eluding to anything, he was asking for clarification of what Kumar was alluding to.

I hate grammar and spelling police who try to “win” a discussion by pointing out trivial things, but Ken is clearly a smart guy and, if he is anything like me, will appreciate having out the error of spelling/usage of a similar sounding word pointed out in a humorous way (attempted humorous way, at least.) Not meant seriously, hence the smilie.