End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think you are right. What’s been missed is how many people have had their eyes opened to the possibilities out there for alternatives - some of which are very inexpensive and provide fabulous sound quality and usability

+1. I recently set up a Pi>DAC+>PiCoreplayer

I was going to replace my legacy Connect and Connect:Amps in the coming months. But now I’m not so sure as I  can’t go back to slumming it with Sonos playback ui. I’m still getting used to the Material picore skin but it’s already that much better imo. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I think you are right. What’s been missed is how many people have had their eyes opened to the possibilities out there for alternatives - some of which are very inexpensive and provide fabulous sound quality and usability

+1. I recently set up a Pi>DAC+>PiCoreplayer

I was going to replace my legacy Connect and Connect:Amps in the coming months. But now I’m not so sure as I  can’t go back to slumming it with Sonos playback ui. I’m still getting used to the Material picore skin but it’s already that much better imo. 

I am using the squeezer android app at present and it works really well and its freeware

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Very welcome announcement - too late for me.

I am sitting listening to a pair of stereo speakers with a separate sub powered by a 192kHz 24 bit DAC on a raspberry pi running piCorePlayer streaming from another raspberry pi with LMS installed on it holding my music collection and quite frankly it knocks the sonos kit into a cocked hat by comparison.

I would never have looked away from Sonos had this debacle not occurred -  but it did, and I did and now I have a much better solution for me. More pi’s are on order to power other zones.

These pi’s are so cheap and the dac’s cost very little too - incredibly cheap for the astounding quality of sound and the usability of the Squeezer app on Android is great too.

So there it is… too late for me

And this is the point that some on the thread just don't seem to get .…. how many examples are needed to underline the credibility. 

I have also entered that new pool and whilst not quite as far to the deep end as you, I’m not far off. 

The announcement I can’t fully absorb yet but it sounds good overall. And either way I appreciate the effort to communicate status. Good or bad. And that is key …. customers can locked into a holding pattern with the right noises regularly made. If you don’t get the messages you will land elsewhere as you have.

I gave up on the Sonos eco-system ages ago - I just use a raspberry Pi (currently a zero w) to run LMS and control my eclectic set of speakers/players.

At the moment I have a Squeezebox Radio, Touch, Pure Jongo SX3, Sonos Beam, and a Chromecast Audio (feeding a BT transmitter for headphones).   There are others!

The whole caboodle is controlled through the LMS webgui,  On Android, I use Kiwi Browser displaying the LMS Material interface (excellent).   Other options to control (used infrequently) are a Squeezebox Controller (think CR 200) and Echo voice using LMS-lite skill.

And what better time to tinker around when most people are going to both have all the time in the world sitting at home in some form of isolation, and a need to stay mentally occupied? All that Sonos offers is the passive pleasure of listening to music:-).

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Very welcome announcement - too late for me.

I am sitting listening to a pair of stereo speakers with a separate sub powered by a 192kHz 24 bit DAC on a raspberry pi running piCorePlayer streaming from another raspberry pi with LMS installed on it holding my music collection and quite frankly it knocks the sonos kit into a cocked hat by comparison.

I would never have looked away from Sonos had this debacle not occurred -  but it did, and I did and now I have a much better solution for me. More pi’s are on order to power other zones.

These pi’s are so cheap and the dac’s cost very little too - incredibly cheap for the astounding quality of sound and the usability of the Squeezer app on Android is great too.

So there it is… too late for me

And this is the point that some on the thread just don't seem to get .…. how many examples are needed to underline the credibility. 

I have also entered that new pool and whilst not quite as far to the deep end as you, I’m not far off. 

The announcement I can’t fully absorb yet but it sounds good overall. And either way I appreciate the effort to communicate status. Good or bad. And that is key …. customers can locked into a holding pattern with the right noises regularly made. If you don’t get the messages you will land elsewhere as you have.

I gave up on the Sonos eco-system ages ago - I just use a raspberry Pi (currently a zero w) to run LMS and control my eclectic set of speakers/players.

At the moment I have a Squeezebox Radio, Touch, Pure Jongo SX3, Sonos Beam, and a Chromecast Audio (feeding a BT transmitter for headphones).   There are others!

The whole caboodle is controlled through the LMS webgui,  On Android, I use Kiwi Browser displaying the LMS Material interface (excellent).   Other options to control (used infrequently) are a Squeezebox Controller (think CR 200) and Echo voice using LMS-lite skill.

I’ve just installed the material skin plugin on LMS (Logitech media server) and yes you are right it looks the business and works a treat

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

And what better time to tinker around when most people are going to both have all the time in the world sitting at home in some form of isolation, and a need to stay mentally occupied? All that Sonos offers is the passive pleasure of listening to music:-).

I am sat here now enjoying the passive pleasure of listening to music - seriously this is easier to use than the Sonos app

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Kumar my wife sees Covid19 as a tool to accelerate our house renovation! :-)  …. we were just renovating the garden (big enough in itself and including some Sonos to drive our Evid 6.2’s out there). Now it’s the lounge as well! Mind has a silver lining …. lounge is our home cinema room which is 15 years awaiting a major tech refurb. Means Dolby Atmos, large TV, extra speakers etc.

By the way, whilst the above is accurate and hopefully gently amusing, I don’t wish in any way to belittle or undermine the severity many are facing and the sadness of some as well. Think as you mentioned a little while back, our tech friction is a minor issue compared to the situ of many. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I am sat here now enjoying the passive pleasure of listening to music - seriously this is easier to use than the Sonos app

Take a trial of Roon … seriously it’s compelling stuff.

And that is said not to the detriment of the Sonos app … I like that and is still my primary tool on Win 10 but the Roon thing takes it to a whole new lever of music and catalog management. In some ways over complex, in some ways very compelling.

I have started testing a PowerBoost 500+ with a Li Battery and a little bit of electronics (Electrolytic Capacitor, resistor, transistor and a relay) so when the mains is turned off to the PowerBoost, the Pi shuts down, the relay closes and the battery turns off. Then when you turn the power on again, the relay opens, and the Pi starts up. It works too. Simples…!

Is the sequence of events correct? How does the Pi initiate turn off routines after the mains power is pulled? Unless the mains is there just to keep the battery charged and the Pi runs on the battery all the time that it is on.

And this sounds interesting, but perhaps an overkill to me. I am quite ok to power down the Pi via either the VNC or a terminal command, and cycle the mains switch to get the Pi on again.

By the way, whilst the above is accurate and hopefully gently amusing, I don’t wish in any way to belittle or undermine the severity many are facing and the sadness of some as well. Think as you mentioned a little while back, our tech friction is a minor issue compared to the situ of many. 

Humour as long as possible is a very good idea. I am honestly terrified about how things are unravelling so I am being deadly serious when I say that I will be over the moon if Sonos does all it is saying it will do in May. Because there is no way they can do that if things stay on the present course where the external environment is concerned. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

And that is said not to the detriment of the Sonos app … I like that and is still my primary tool on Win 10 but the Roon thing takes it to a whole new lever of music and catalog management. In some ways over complex, in some ways very compelling.

I have heard great things about roon - but for now I can’t justify $119 a year for it, so taking a trial would be a mistake for me in case I really liked it :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I have heard great things about roon - but for now I can’t justify $119 a year for it, so taking a trial would be a mistake for me in case I really liked it :)

You sir are a wise man. I made that mistake in exactly the manner you describe :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

It’s been mentioned already in here by Smilja, so as you know now, the main article on our support page for this topic has been updated. Please read through it carefully if you have any questions because it answers most all of the questions we’ve seen so far. We will make sure to keep that article up to date with the most recent and official information that we’re ready to make public.

There’s also an article here on Using separate S1 and S2 Sonos systems.

And @Kumar

Would you please confirm that if we say once to the quoted and bolded prompt in the quote above, that we will prefer to stay on S1 across the entire system, we will not be again prompted to update? In a way that carries a risk that inadvertently we will end up stuck with a split system?

That’s absolutely the plan, and if there are any issues, our support team will be around to help sort them out.

Ryan hi. Probably my limited skill set but after reading the (as I read it) positive news from Sonos I am uncertain if you mean that High Res will be available on all S2 approved devices after the June S2 update? 

Is it the case that all all S2 updated devices will be able run high res material after this implementation in June? 

Have asked the question to the forum but no answer as of now. Maybe I’m not alone in not being clear. Maybe it’s a really dumb question. I’m not sure. 

Super stuff if it is the case. If not then just to check and not mislead myself.

Would certainly be a confidence builder if it was the case.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

You sir are a wise man. I made that mistake in exactly the manner you describe :-)

yeah it so easy to do it isn’t it :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Here’s a taste of how the Material skin look (on a Linux PC)

The player is a set of BT headphones.  Currently playing is So Cal via Tunein.

The album list shows albums from both Spotify and Qobuz (notice the small logo for each)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

And … for Pi fans and Alexa users.  Here’s the My Media for Alexa skill which let’s you play your local library on Echo devices

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

This is material skin on Windows

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

It’s been mentioned already in here by Smilja, so as you know now, the main article on our support page for this topic has been updated. Please read through it carefully if you have any questions because it answers most all of the questions we’ve seen so far. We will make sure to keep that article up to date with the most recent and official information that we’re ready to make public.

And @Kumar

Would you please confirm that if we say once to the quoted and bolded prompt in the quote above, that we will prefer to stay on S1 across the entire system, we will not be again prompted to update? In a way that carries a risk that inadvertently we will end up stuck with a split system?

That’s absolutely the plan, and if there are any issues, our support team will be around to help sort them out.

Ryan hi. Probably my limited skill set but after reading the (as I read it) positive news from Sonos I am uncertain if you mean that High Res will be available on all S2 approved devices after the June S2 update? 

Is it the case that all all S2 updated devices will be able run high res material after this implementation in June? 

Have asked the question to the forum but no answer as of now. Maybe I’m not alone in not being clear. Maybe it’s a really dumb question. I’m not sure. 

Super stuff if it is the case. If not then just to check and not mislead myself.

Hey attacama40, we’ve shared that in addition to new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward, Sonos S2 will enable higher resolution audio technologies for music and home theater. Beyond that, we haven’t gone into a lot of details just yet, so you’ll just have to be patient until we’re ready to share more in the future. The latest information can be found here on our S2 article.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

..and this is material skin on android

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

And @Kumar

Hey attacama40, we’ve shared that in addition to new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward, Sonos S2 will enable higher resolution audio technologies for music and home theater. Beyond that, we haven’t gone into a lot of details just yet, so you’ll just have to be patient until we’re ready to share more in the future. The latest information can be found here on our S2 article.

Thanks for the quick reply Ryan. Appreciated.

Yes I did read the article … is good stuff by the way and helps keep us ‘dabblers’ in the fold :-)  …  and I’m continuing to read it to try really understand fully. 

But it did not jump out at me if ‘enable high res’ means available at the beginning (June) or some way further down the development road.

For me, available June = great, available a bit later also = ok. It just did not jump out at me as being clear.

Maybe as we all had a bit of a time of it comms wise I’m over reading things a tad :-) 

Can I twist your arm to clarify a bit more there. Question is purely at the beginning or a little further down the road for the High Res function.

Answer may very well be clear to other folks … just not me :-)

Cheers

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

On Android (could be iPad or whatever touch-screen), you can enable finger swipe up//down to adjust volume … very nice feature

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I think  a separate thread for Pi/LMS alternatives might be worthwhile. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

On Android (could be iPad or whatever touch-screen), you can enable finger swipe up//down to adjust volume … very nice feature

Thanks - that’s another cool function turned on

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I plan to keep keep using a mixed system of moden and legacy speakers on S1 for as long as that is viable.

Will the 4 modern speakers that I have not updated in order to keep them compatible with the 2 legacies for use on S1 be “updatable” to use with new moderns on S2 when the time comes that I have to replace the 2 legacies?

Will the 4 modern speakers that I have not updated in order to keep them compatible with the 2 legacies for use on S1 be “updatable” to use with new moderns on S2 when the time comes that I have to replace the 2 legacies?

Hard to say because when you will do this is an unknown. Play 1 units started off at 64 Mb, so these may be the next to go - so the answer depends on two future events at different and uncertain time points.

Why does it matter today though, to your decision being made today?