End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

I wonder if a firmware tweak would allow the LED on Sonos products to glow in in a UV range that kills Corona virus? If they could do that players would fly off the shelves and the stock would rebound instantly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I wonder if a firmware tweak would allow the LED on Sonos products to glow in in a UV range that kills Corona virus? If they could do that players would fly off the shelves and the stock would rebound instantly.

You know what … is funny but not so daft.

I just bought a UV-C commercial grade light. Sort of thing they use in hospitals. They are apparently rather effective. Plug it in a room for 30 mins and it has a high success rate apparently. Take a read…

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21058-w

I have no idea of the practicality but imagine that …. every Nest, every Sonos, Alexa, Google Home, 4k TV, Apple thing, etc having a low grade UV-C emitter?

There is a counter argument of course stating that developing an immunity to such things is important and I don’t believe that UV-C is great for human beings in proximity. But conceptually? Interesting.

It could turn out to be the perfect storm for Sonos.

That would be trivial compared to what happens to the much larger players across the economy and the consequent impact of that on the global economy and our lives; Sonos would sink unnoticed in that storm. 

IMO, till there is stability again in the world, Sonos needs to announce that it is calling off this event - if needed, Covid also gives them a good cover to do this. Nothing will change for all Sonos users in the visible medium term, and there will be one less anxiety for everyone touched by Sonos to deal with at a time everyone has enough on their plate.

Of course it is looking likely that this decision will be taken for Sonos by external events anyway.

The May event never required anyone to take immediate action to begin with.  There were, and still currently are, two reason to migrate from legacy modern,   The first one being lack of new features and products.  If people aren’t looking to buy luxury items right now, then new products shouldn’t be an appeal.  New features is nice, but shouldn't be a source of anxiety.

The second reason is that a legacy system would stop working because of a significant change in a streaming service.  That was never likely to happen right away, but the risk is even further reduced since streaming companies are even less likely to change things up right now.

In short, no one needs to be concerned about their Sonos system no longer working in May, regardless of whether Sonos chooses to delay.    

Discussions about the May event are moot already - the decision is no longer in Sonos hands, the external environment will deny them the resources to implement and support the change. Which is why I said that if things revert back to a situation where they are free in May do as they wish, the world will be celebrating for much bigger reasons.

As for me, all I hope for on this score is for streaming services to still work and keep music playing at home for mental well being. Yes, there is the NAS, but how long after those services stop will mains power remain reliable/available will raise its head in days.

This is like living in a disaster movie; nothing I had ever hoped to live long enough to see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That would be trivial compared to what happens to the much larger players across the economy and the consequent impact of that on the global economy and our lives; Sonos would sink unnoticed in that storm. 

Offcourse, but in a crisis, it’s a bad idea to have multiple bad vectors stacked against you.

If you have 2 big holes in the bottom of your bathtub, the water will drain out faster than if you have one, and the chance that you personally will run out of bathtub water is far greater.

Yesterday the Sonos stock was down and touched $7.10 this is less than half of what the stock was worth, the day before the announcement, and while i understand that Corona is also a big factor, it is really bad that the stock price halves in 2 months and it seems that the stock price right now only has one way and that is down.

You both should go and try to cram stuff onto an already crammed harddisk drive. Then you might get a clue on the Why.

Discussions about the May event are moot already - the decision is no longer in Sonos hands, the external environment will deny them the resources to implement and support the change. Which is why I said that if things revert back to a situation where they are free in May do as they wish, the world will be celebrating for much bigger reasons.

It’s entirely possible that Sonos employees will still be able complete development required for the May event,  I’m sure quite a few will be able to do their work from home.  Heck,  school has been canceled for my kids, but they’re required to do school work from home.

As for me, all I hope for on this score is for streaming services to still work and keep music playing at home for mental well being. Yes, there is the NAS, but how long after those services stop will mains power remain reliable/available will raise its head in days.

This is like living in a disaster movie; nothing I had ever hoped to live long enough to see.

Perhaps the situation where you’re at is worse than where I am, but there is little reason to think that power is going to go out for an extended period of time.  I don’t think streaming services are going to stop work any time soon either.

Guys, I’ve got news.

Sonos S2 overview and compatibility

Guys, I’ve got news.

Sonos S2 overview and compatibility

Well dang.  Why in the world didn’t Sonos lead with this information?  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Costs. They were trying to mitigate support costs, hoping not to keep S1 at all, that everybody would ditch legacy stuff for 30% off new.

Costs. They were trying to mitigate support costs, hoping not to keep S1 at all, that everybody would ditch legacy stuff for 30% off new.

That doesn’t explain why they didn’t lead with this information.  Some positive news that customers might look forward to rather than just the bad news.

Also, from the FAQ…

Sonos S2 will enable higher resolution audio technologies for music and home theater.

@Ryan S 

With your FAQ saying the quoted:

Do I have to update to S2?
No. If you have products that are incompatible with S2 and would like to keep your system as is, you can. The app you are now using will be renamed the Sonos S1 Controller, and it will continue working with your existing products, music services, and voice services. When prompted to update in the app, simply confirm that you would like to continue with your current experience. If all of your products are compatible with S2, however, we recommend you update so you can enjoy the new software features.

Bolded bits by me.

Would you please confirm that if we say once to the quoted and bolded prompt in the quote above, that we will prefer to stay on S1 across the entire system, we will not be again prompted to update? In a way that carries a risk that inadvertently we will end up stuck with a split system?

This question is relevant for those of us that have zero interest in moving beyond S1 in the foreseeable future. Any that wish to change their mind about this should be allowed to do so without being persistently prompted to do so, because of that risk attached to an inadvertent response to such a prompt.

With that said, I pray that you are able to do this in May, for what being able to do so will need to be present in the world at large.

Sonos is doing it again, cut compatibility and obsoleting full functional devices! This in times of Climate Warming and waste economy.

Shame on Sonos. The at least should open up the system for alternative Firmwares.

Sonos is doing it again, cut compatibility and obsoleting full functional devices! This in times of Climate Warming and waste economy.

Shame on Sonos. The at least should open up the system for alternative Firmwares.

Doing it again?  This is additional details on what they previously announced.

Which would inevitably brick your system. Developing firmware for multiroom systems isn’t as straightforward as programming an Android custom rom build. In that case one would have no option but throwing the gear to landfill sites.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

It’s been mentioned already in here by Smilja, so as you know now, the main article on our support page for this topic has been updated. Please read through it carefully if you have any questions because it answers most all of the questions we’ve seen so far. We will make sure to keep that article up to date with the most recent and official information that we’re ready to make public.

There’s also an article here on Using separate S1 and S2 Sonos systems.

And @Kumar

Would you please confirm that if we say once to the quoted and bolded prompt in the quote above, that we will prefer to stay on S1 across the entire system, we will not be again prompted to update? In a way that carries a risk that inadvertently we will end up stuck with a split system?

That’s absolutely the plan, and if there are any issues, our support team will be around to help sort them out.

@Ryan S Appreciate the quick confirmation, thank you. Obviously there will be some kind of update process to the S1 system itself in line with what has been promised for legacy products, that will be  separately managed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Anyone want to take a bet, that sonos knew all of this back in January.

Why they wanted to keep this a secret i beyond me, the “You will get higher quality music” would have calmed some people down.

Instead they kept everyone in the dark, endured a “storm” and had to rephrase what they said at first, all because they did not just tell the truth from the beginning.

Shares are right now, down to USD 7, from USD ~15 the day before the announcement, and if the trend continues it will be below USD 7 tomorrow or even later today

Another P.R. Mess Up sonos

Spence shouldnt make it to the weekend to help try and save the company!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

It’s boggling how poorly Sonos has handled this transition and dissemination of information. Having said that, it seems we have arrived at a point that many (including me) will be satisfied with. I’m still a little grey on the “as long as possible” regarding streaming music services, but for some reason, it seems a little more reassuring having been put into its current form/commitment. Interestingly, now that I feel more comfortable with being able to continue to use my legacy devices if I so choose, I may decide to actually upgrade.

Why they wanted to keep this a secret i beyond me, the “You will get higher quality music” would have calmed some people down.

This Wired article suggested that Sonos has been working on a split, or at least how to deal with legacy units that were maxed out, for a year now.   Doesn’t say that they new what features were going to be added and when, but seems likely.

If I had to guess, Sonos thought they negative reaction wasn’t going to be quite so negative, and they could then do possitive annoucements around May or later that woulld still be somewhat ‘fresh’ news when the Christmas retail seasons starts? Or perhaps they wanted to hold that info so as not to tip their hand to the competition?   I don’t know  Regardless, hindsight clearly shows that they did not pick the right course of action.

Instead they kept everyone in the dark, endured a “storm” and had to rephrase what they said at first, all because they did not just tell the truth from the beginning.

They didn’t lie about anything.  They did not provide all information upfront, and they did change some of the information based on the negative reaction.  I don’t see that as the same thing.

Shares are right now, down to USD 7, from USD ~15 the day before the announcement, and if the trend continues it will be below USD 7 tomorrow or even later today

Part of that is due the corona virus hit every stock is going through right now, and I would say any downward trend tomorrow would be more virus related than specific to Sonos. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So I have 6 speakers, 4 modern, 2 legacy. As I understand it I can continue to use them together (with current streaming functionality) on S1 after May until the 2 legacy are no longer compatible with the moderns. At that point  I can trade up the 2 legacies and continue to use the 6 speakers, now all modern, on S2.

Correct?

So I have 6 speakers, 4 modern, 2 legacy. As I understand it I can continue to use them together (with current streaming functionality) on S1 after May until the 2 legacy are no longer compatible with the moderns. At that point (days, months,year), I can trade up the 2 legacies, switch to S2, and  usethe 6 together.

Correct?

Pretty much. Your legacy speakers are more likely to stop working either to hardware failure or signifcant change in a streaming service, rather Sonos dropping support, IMO.  Also, you do not need to wait for some a failure of sorts of your legacy devices before trading up.  You can do that any time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

The entire market is being rocked by the direct and indirect effects of the corona virus. My diversified portfolio is down about 22%. I think this amplifies any downward turn that companies were experiencing. Eventually the markets (and Sonos) will bounce back. But, I don’t know if anyone knows how much of a nose dive we’re going to take in the short and possibly medium term.