End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

I'm going to be somewhat controversial here. If you spent £400 on Sonos speakers, and you've used them for 4 years, that's £100/year or less than £2/week for premium sound quality that is *so* much better than listening through paired Google minis! IMHO opinion, that's no worse than paying £10/month for a streaming music subscription. If I want convenience, I pay the subscription. If I want cheap music, I put flac/mp3s on my pc and/phone and stream from there.

Having said that, I too don't have hundreds of £s to spend on replacing what are (for now) working speakers, with more expensive speakers. I can't justify trading up, so I may trade down, *unless* Sonos comes up with a way to spread the cost of the replacements, or (say) partners with streaming music services and offers me some form of decent price reduction on subscriptions

Or something/anything that recognises their customers are in it for the long-haul. They may not buy kit every 3-4 years, but they are fans, and they - and their family and friends will spend £10Ks/£100Ks  over the years.

What concerns me most about this debacle, is that Sonos appears to be *deliberately*  chucking/breaking perfectly serviceable kit. In 2020, when we need to be recycling as much as we can, this is reckless ecological vandalism of the worst kind, and that's the main reason I may never buy Sonos kit again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

...also is it MB or GB ?

It says at the bottom “All sizes in MB”

There is no way they’re putting a terabyte of on-board memory into new units.

Agreed. Nor are they. 1024MB = 1GB.

I understand that, I was indicating that if it were GB, 1024 would be just over a terabyte.

Userlevel 1

This is my first post, from someone who usually stays away from online forums, but I am so disappointed I need to vent.

I have been building my Sonos system for around 8 years, a new speaker every year or two (oldest Play:5, newest Move). We would rave about this to friends and family. For Sonos, this was perfect - on ongoing cash stream for ever, with word of mouth advertising thrown in.

What was great about it: centrally controllable sound all over the house. Sure the newer items feel nicer, but fancy features do not matter a jot.

In one swoop, this model has been destroyed and everyone is a loser. My system will be broken up into separate networks, which defeats the USP. It is anathema to me to send perfectly good kit to be recycled/landfill for expensive and unnecessary upgrade. If I buy a new piece of equipment it now adds to my problem rather than helps solve it.

Unless money and environmental concern are absolutely no object surely new equipment is now uninvestible.

What do I want? A cast-iron commitment to be able to continue with the functionality I currently have for my old units and latest functionality new units, all controlled/grouped from a single interface. Until Sonos convince me of above - and that they do not intend to snatch it away again - their offering has become toxic. 

This is my first post too.  Melinda yours is a very articulate post with which I wholeheartedly concur.  By this debacle, Sonos has lost my faith and my future custom

Userlevel 1

PATRICK SPENCE GIVES THE PERFECT ARGUMENT TO LOOK FOR ALTERNATIVE SYSTEMS

Your website operates with the statements like: Cooperation, Accountability, Trust (translated from Dutch)    ...excuse me...?

Please provide real clarity after such disruptive announcements. NeedSleep: Will old(?) and new(?) systems still be inter-operable? Those are the type of questions to which your clients expect answers! 

Nobody expects (new) functionality like voice control on a device that has no microphone, the basic functionality that clients purchased can for sure be maintained while operating with new devices: e.g. Let clients choose what streaming services to use on their devices and yes, older devices can have less or only the older ones. Or provide bridges with additional memory/processing power to support “old" devices. Where is your innovative ability? Overwhelmed by the financials?

The mail of CEO Patrick Spence to all users mentions splitting the systems, thereby providing THE PERFECT ARGUMENT TO LOOK FOR ALTERNATIVE SYSTEMS. Sonos advertised for years that all systems were connected and provided premium sound quality everywhere. If Sonos cannot inter-operate anymore then why betting on two separate systems from one provider? There might be better alternatives out there. Next time I need something on audio, the automatic choice for Sonos that I made for more than a decade is gone!!!!! Maybe good that I myself need to be innovative again…

Truly disappointed customer

10 years ago I initially invested over £2500 in the so called Legacy 3 x Sonos Player 5’s, 3 x Connect Amps, 1 x Connect, 1 x Bridge and 2 x CR200 controllers. Further to this I invested further into 3 x Player 3’s and 6 x Player 1’s and most recently 2 x Moves. The latter of which I have barely removed from the box, then the bombshell email arrives. Wow how to totally destroy a brand and it’s reputation in one short swipe. Totally gutted and disgusted with this marketing strategy.

As a loyal Sonos consumer and promoter of the Sonos brand, I am left speechless by this announcement from Sonos.p
Furthermore when I receive the email to upgrade, I acted swiftly and somewhat foolishly and have now ordered 3 x Player 5’s, and 2 x Amps and 1 x Port for a staggering £2500 with the 30% trade up discount applied. (My initial investment outlaid again in 10 years). Then I receive the next bombshell email stating that Sonos have made a mistake and that they listened!, and that they will now continue to bug fix legacy products as well as allow them to coexist with newer products. A bit frickin late now!.

All of my legacy products are now on a 21 day end of life countdown which will then place perfectly good and very presentable products into landfill waste. Unbelievable.

why had you not thought this through earlier and made an announcement to inform legacy products would only receive future bug fixes etc., however they would still coexists with newer products and the 30% discount could be applied at any time to upgrade in the future, allowing legacy owners to retain the original usable working products, but also upgrade to newer products over time. This would allow old to work with new, whilst also allowing the loyal Sonos user to slowly upgrade without having to take a massive hit with only 3 Months notice.

I now feel like I have been screwed twice and will seriously consider other wireless music options in the future. No more Sonos recommendations from me.

Why did you trade-up now? … you could have done that anytime, over many months, or perhaps years in fact.. Also the trade-up agreement is that you 'responsibly recycle' the devices, not take them to landfill.

If you had just left things as they stood, before starting the trade-up process, my guess is you’d have got many more years of service out of your devices. It’s entirely your prerogative though, I guess.

Also what to do now with your 30% discount vouchers???

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

From what i have seen, the electronics inside the IKEA Symfonisk is exactly the same as inside the Play 1, with the only difference being that the Symfonisk has 256Mbyte instead of 64Mbyte

The Symfonisk is essentially identical to a play 1 inside, apparently.

Yes, the Symfonisk is the same PCB but with added ram and rom

Should be an easy retrofit when the Play 1 is obsoleted in a couple of years….If they have not changed the PCB in the Symfonisk or stopped selling it.

If you think about a Symfonisk is more functional than a play 1.. when Sonos brick your Symfonisk in a few years you can at least continue to use it as a shelf. 

Userlevel 1

We announced yesterday that some of our oldest Sonos products will be moving into a legacy mode in May of 2020. Our commitment is to support products with regular software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting products far longer. 

Here is some public information we’ve shared, gathered into one place to respond to some of your questions in one easy thread, so that people can find the correct information easily.

Beginning in May, software updates and new features from Sonos will only be delivered to systems with only modern products.

After May, systems that include legacy products will continue to work as before - but they will no longer receive software updates or new features. 

Sonos will work to maintain the existing experience and conduct bug fixes, but our efforts will ultimately be limited by the lack of memory and processing power of these legacy products.

We don’t expect any immediate impact to your experience, but access to services and overall functionality will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their own services and features. 

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

You will also be able to separate your legacy products from your modern products, so that the modern products can still receive updates and new features, and legacy products can still be used separately. We’ll have more information on how to do this in May when you can take that action.

Another option available to all customers with legacy products is to take advantage of the Trade Up program, which allows you to upgrade older Sonos products to modern ones with a 30% discount. Trade Up will be open to customers at any time should they decide to upgrade. 

We recognize this is new for Sonos owners, just as it is for Sonos. We are committed to help you by making options available to you to support the best decision for your home.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate with asking.

Update 2/22: A message from our CEO

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn’t exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

I am with the crowd that is really upset with this announcement.  I too am an early adopter of Sonos.  This “change” means that thousands of dollars of investment in a great sound system was foolishly spent. 

In addition after spending over $2000 on Play:5s, you are telling me for another $1400 I can replace my Play:5s with lower quality Sonos Moves?!?!   How does that even make sense!   At least your upgrade program should be like for like!  And a discount for more the 30% would be better.

I am soooo mad that I am considering ditching my whole Sonos installations.

Sonos you really need to take better care of your early loyal customers as they are the ones who keep buying more speakers to expand their systems. (like me)

Best

I have been a loyal support from the beginning - this is the point where I exit - very disapp

The more loyal the customer...the harder the punishment! Sonos was built on early adaptors!!!!

Something easy to forget apparently. At least in Holland headline news: no more new customers...

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

10 years ago I initially invested over £2500 in the so called Legacy 3 x Sonos Player 5’s, 3 x Connect Amps, 1 x Connect, 1 x Bridge and 2 x CR200 controllers. Further to this I invested further into 3 x Player 3’s and 6 x Player 1’s and most recently 2 x Moves. The latter of which I have barely removed from the box, then the bombshell email arrives. Wow how to totally destroy a brand and it’s reputation in one short swipe. Totally gutted and disgusted with this marketing strategy.

As a loyal Sonos consumer and promoter of the Sonos brand, I am left speechless by this announcement from Sonos.p
Furthermore when I receive the email to upgrade, I acted swiftly and somewhat foolishly and have now ordered 3 x Player 5’s, and 2 x Amps and 1 x Port for a staggering £2500 with the 30% trade up discount applied. (My initial investment outlaid again in 10 years). Then I receive the next bombshell email stating that Sonos have made a mistake and that they listened!, and that they will now continue to bug fix legacy products as well as allow them to coexist with newer products. A bit frickin late now!.

All of my legacy products are now on a 21 day end of life countdown which will then place perfectly good and very presentable products into landfill waste. Unbelievable.

why had you not thought this through earlier and made an announcement to inform legacy products would only receive future bug fixes etc., however they would still coexists with newer products and the 30% discount could be applied at any time to upgrade in the future, allowing legacy owners to retain the original usable working products, but also upgrade to newer products over time. This would allow old to work with new, whilst also allowing the loyal Sonos user to slowly upgrade without having to take a massive hit with only 3 Months notice.

I now feel like I have been screwed twice and will seriously consider other wireless music options in the future. No more Sonos recommendations from me.

Why did you trade-up now? … you could have done that anytime, over many months, or perhaps years in fact.. Also the trade-up agreement is that you 'responsibly recycle' the devices, not take them to landfill.

If you had just left things as they stood, before starting the trade-up process, my guess is you’d have got many more years of service out of your devices. It’s entirely your prerogative though, I guess.

Also what to do now with your 30% discount vouchers???

I wouldn't defend Sonos on this. I too jumped in and took the upgrade albeit on a singular purchase but still money I could do without spending 

The problem with me is that now Sonos appear to be backtracking and apparently looking to sort something out. Whether this actually happens is a mystery at the moment but in the meantime many like myself have stupidly took the upgrade and replaced units based on the the fact alone that midern units within a legacy unit within  wilthin the setup will not receive updates. 

It's trickery and I want my original play left alone and taken off the brick countdown. As a gesture of goodwill.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I can also bet that this thread will not be read or digested by Sonos employees..

Maybe skimmed over at best 

Sonos directors should be meeting about this feedback Monday morning, thoroughly going through everybody's opinion and then feeding back with some constructive way forward asap shortly after.

If nothing comes back on this thread early next week then I think we all know the truth.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

One can only hope that having created so much uncertainty and anxiety with their announcement Sonos are now embarking upon some serious plans to recruit, train and provide a communications infrastructure for the small army of technicians they will need to support their loyal customers through the various seemingly complex scenarios that will materialise from implementation date (whenever that might eventually be) onwards.

In the past this community forum has proved very helpful in acting as a filter for the Support Team for many, let’s say ‘simpler’, issues that users have faced, but can the community be counted on to be so co-operative in the future?

Can’t help thinking that a more cost efficient plan would have been to offer affected users a much larger discount on replacement Sonos products without requiring them to trade-in their existing items for recycling.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@Wkelkel 

if I were a Sonos employee, I would be watching this (and other threads) very closely indeed.  The next few weeks will be make or break for the company and potentially their jobs.  It would be commercial suicide to do anything other but act on this overwhelming response from loyal customers.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

If you bring modern devices along with legacy devices into a legacy build it’ll still be possible to add all Sonos products currently available for sale to a legacy system. They’ll all update to the correct legacy build.

Whoa Ryan, are you actually saying that a system currently containing Play:5 Gen 1 and Play:3 speakers (i.e. legacy and modern) will continue to work as it does at present even after May? If I understand correctly what you are saying here, I will have one system with a mix of generations. I understand that no further updates will be applied to the Play:5 speakers (and presumably to the Play:3 units as well).

What would I have to do to freeze the software level at that point after May? 

@FarFromGruntled, that’s correct. From the original message above:

Customers with both legacy and modern products have time to decide what option is best for them. You can continue to use your whole system in legacy mode - in this case, it will stop receiving updates and new features. 

In May, when the legacy change comes, you’ll be able to set your whole Sonos system on the legacy build (both modern and legacy devices). Any existing modern speakers that come along with your legacy devices onto that build will work exactly as the have been, however the whole system (including the modern devices that move to legacy) won’t regularly update. Any new features that come to Sonos won’t be added to any of those speakers while they’re on legacy software. Over time, some services may require updates to keep going and we’ll do what we can to provide them, but we will be limited to do so by the hardware of those legacy devices.

This last bit does seem like a significant concession vs the original announcement and gives me a degree of faith that my system will survive this announcement and thrive for some time to come...so long as Sonos can ride out this self-inflicted crisis.  

Unfortunately I’m gonna still have to put my planned Sonos purchases on hold until we have firmer details. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

although not the right thing to do, unfortunately human nature what it is many will end up in landfill. But even if recycled this takes energy and still a certain cost to the environment in various ways, that said it's not a reason not to do so, but is just a fact of life that the easiest option is taken.

Userlevel 1

Sonos is nothing without the loyal following of all of us … 

Well I’m so, so glad you all spoke up and voiced your concerns and that this appears to have had an impact, even if the full extent of that remains to be seen. I too had and still have concerns but until now have not voiced them - I guess that’s indicative of how little confidence I have that my concerns (and everyone else’s) will make a difference.

I bought into Sonos a long, long time ago, when they only had offices in the USA and over here in the UK no one had even heard of them; in fact most people either wasn’t aware that it was even possible to have a multi-room music system, or if they had it was just so, so expensive it was only a pipe dream. I even had to talk my local Hi-Fi dealer into setting up a trading account with Sonos so that I could order thousands of £ of gear to kit out my entire house in one go! This included the beautiful and functional Sonos Controller units, in fact several of them so I could control my system from various places within my house - much to the sheer astonishment and delight of my friends when they first saw it, before exclaiming “Wow! That’s incredible. I’ve absolutely must get one of those. What’s it called again? Sono …?"

Ive lost count of the number of those friends who bought into Sonos, or their friends, and friends of friends … (you get the point). I even forgave Sonos when they made my many Sonos Controllers obsolete, despite having bought a load of lithium batteries to replace the ones that kept wearing out, but what REALLY pissed me off was that I didn’t feel as though I’d had any choice, nor been given enough information or advance notice of that happening (we all lead busy lives right?)

I was also pissed off when, now having to rely on iPhones and iPads to replace my Sonos Controllers  that they suddenly made older versions of iOS incompatible too - sure they can’t keep bringing out newer versions of the Sonos App that support every version of iOS, but why couldn’t I just keep devices running old versions of the App too, why didn’t the system update come with a BIG WARNING that you were about to screw everything up, and yet again why wasn’t there better communication about this change in advance? Mmmm, it was beginning to look like this was the way Sonos went about things from now on - Now that they were a Global, very successful company with millions and millions of customers.

This irritation was further emphasised when I discovered that in fact it WAS ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE to keep an older, different version of a controller running in tandem with my updated system, contrary to what Sonos told everyone - it was called SonoPad, a third party controller app produced by a one man band for very little cost, and it still works to this day, despite the very many, many system updates since then! So why would Sonos claim this was not possible? If a little third party developer could do it, why couldn’t I just stick with the old controller app on some of my devices and still have everything else work on different versions?

Sadly, it’s the same old story time after time; bright new innovative company comes along with great ideas but needs customers to believe in them in order to grow and survive. Company gets what it wants and becomes so big and successful that, some where along the line, it forgets what and who made it that successful in the first place and how to go about running their business in the way that made it so attractive to all those customers who made it what it is today. Communication, or the lack of adequate, thoughtful and appropriately timed communication both with its customers, and often within their now behemoth sized organisation, is always at the root of this. 

Trust is hard to win, easy to keep, but so very, very difficult to get back when you break it. I do so hope that Sonos learns from this and goes on to be different to every other big company out there. Even giants like Apple haven’t managed this, but at least Sonos is nowhere near that big and so has a fighting chance of leading by example.

Fingers crossed (rant over)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I'm going to be somewhat controversial here. If you spent £400 on Sonos speakers, and you've used them for 4 years, that's £100/year or less than £2/week for premium sound quality that is *so* much better than listening through paired Google minis! IMHO opinion, that's no worse than paying £10/month for a streaming music subscription. If I want convenience, I pay the subscription. If I want cheap music, I put flac/mp3s on my pc and/phone and stream from there.

Having said that, I too don't have hundreds of £s to spend on replacing what are (for now) working speakers, with more expensive speakers. I can't justify trading up, so I may trade down, *unless* Sonos comes up with a way to spread the cost of the replacements, or (say) partners with streaming music services and offers me some form of decent price reduction on subscriptions

Or something/anything that recognises their customers are in it for the long-haul. They may not buy kit every 3-4 years, but they are fans, and they - and their family and friends will spend £10Ks/£100Ks  over the years.

What concerns me most about this debacle, is that Sonos appears to be *deliberately*  chucking/breaking perfectly serviceable kit. In 2020, when we need to be recycling as much as we can, this is reckless ecological vandalism of the worst kind, and that's the main reason I may never buy Sonos kit again.

Maybe £2/week for premium sound quality doesn't puma facie seem too bad; but there are many, like me who have spent £8000 or so on kit, which doing the maths makes the cost £40/week…. not so palatable… accept that not all are junked, but unless there is still Whole House grouping, the use and enjoyment of ALL units, legacy and modern, is compromised.

Userlevel 3

sm75382

Anything caught your eye that you think could replace a playbar?

I was just looking at the Denon Heos range, reviews give their sound bar a better rating than Sonos playbar, it has better connections, can be set up the same as Sonos with rear speakers and a sub, but if u shop around is a lot cheaper.

I can also bet that this thread will not be read or digested by Sonos employees..

Maybe skimmed over at best 

Sonos directors should be meeting about this feedback Monday morning, thoroughly going through everybody's opinion and then feeding back with some constructive way forward asap shortly after.

If nothing comes back on this thread early next week then I think we all know the truth.

I think that we can all guess the way forward, from the tone and content of their SEC submission… They may come up with some further minor concession - they may not...

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

what about those stuck with play 1 & 3 s 

Should consider themselves warned and not happy that they have been left out of the cull; seeing the memory of just 64Mb in them, there is no place for them too in the Sonos Brave New World.

Those in the cull are actually the fortunate ones, they have line in jacks...but then there are those that succumbed to the Trade up stunt that used the 30% to get non line in products. But that is also not bad, those have 5 plus years left in them, perhaps even 10. Except for the financial hit they have incurred, but there is decent value received. Which would have been even better, if the recycled bricking nonsense had not been there as a condition for the discount. 

From what i have seen, the electronics inside the IKEA Symfonisk is exactly the same as inside the Play 1, with the only difference being that the Symfonisk has 256Mbyte instead of 64Mbyte

So if you can operate a screwdriver, you should in theory be able to upgrade your play 1’s to still work as “modern” products, even if they are obsoleted by Sonos.

This upgrade will cost one Symfonisk at about $100 instead of the $199 retail price for a Play one. (With 30% deal for the Play 1, it will still mean saving $40).

Another advantage of the Symfonisk over the Play one is that the symfonisk does not have the spy-microphone.

I like the idea, but this is still consigning 90% of a Symfonisk to ewaste - still not sustainable.  The logical extension of your idea is that Sonos should make the Synfonisk board available to anyone that wants to do the work on a Play:1, for a reasonable cost.  (Sonos marketing peeps may need to google the highlighted expression).

IF I stick with Sonos, I might have a play with this hack, for a Move on a budget :thinking:

http://tiefenthaler.name/symfonisk/en/

@Ryan_S - Thanks for your updates; hope you feel better soon.

Think Sonos have heard the customers speak - Nice letter from Patrick Spence - let’s see what happens now . 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

... For some of us who want to just purchase a few newer Connect or Connect Amps so we can get past this May shut-out/forced obsolesce/split system issue, There may be some economical options out there instead of the reduced functionality (and stupid expense) of the Amp and Port or the environmental disaster of the “trade-in” program.  Of course Sonos isn’t clear about how much longer their so-called (Modern) units will be supported either...​​​​​​

@kassey22000, I know it’s buried several times in the pages of this thread and others, but we’ve committed to supporting our products with updates for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us, after they’ve been discontinued. And as you all know, we have a track record of doing so for much longer than that. The 2015 Connect and Connect:Amps are only recently no longer sold, or in some cases still available at very limited stock levels. So you’re looking at at least five years worth of updates from when they were discontinued.

I'm sorry Ryan, but this was not what I was told when I brought into the sonos concept. It was sold as a hifi streaming system which could be added to make a truly remarkable system. But now products have an EOL policy, let me put it this way if I were to see a cake that cost £50 and I know that cake has a sell by date of a week. And there was another cake that costs £20 but has no use by date which one would you buy?? But again you have the £50 cake and the £20 cake both have no use by date, you buy the £50 cake as it a better quality but find out later it does have a use by date how would you feel about that.you would think I might as well got the £20 cake, this is exactly what sonos has done and frankly has killed the brand. Sonos may come up with this solution or that explanation of what will happen but non of the statementments returns us to the status que we had when we brought our systems. The sonos board ignore this fact at the company's peril but it's not to late to turn this around but I fear you won't.

To vastly overextend the metaphor, we always knew all cakes for sale have some best before date. We now know for Sonos cakes that is in theory at least 5 years from date of purchase, probably much longer for newer recipe cakes and the cake may in fact turn out to still be good to eat well after that best before date (but no more icing or sprinkles will be offered). Also I’ve had the enjoyment of both having my cake and eating it throughout that period! 

I’m intrigued if there really are other brands of smart speakers or connected audio who can boast the same longevity of support and new features. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Should be an easy retrofit when the Play 1 is obsoleted in a couple of years….If they have not changed the PCB in the Symfonisk or stopped selling it.

If you think about a Symfonisk is more functional than a play 1.. when Sonos brick your Symfonisk in a few years you can at least continue to use it as a shelf. 

You do know that they put a kill switch on the rear bracket don’t you?  When Spence approves a particular software update, it falls off the wall…  Though he may not be around to approve it.

Userlevel 1

To make things worse, with is PR disaster blowing up, the £1000’s invested in Sonos equipment will be worthless on the second-hand market as it is obsolete and nobody will want it, so we are completely trapped.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Think Sonos have heard the customers speak - Nice letter from Patrick Spence - let’s see what happens now . 

Letter from Spence says nothing new - reading through these threads there are several key questions raised by many ;  Sonos need to read through these the many posts and collate a list of key concerns and provide answers as appropriate , ranging from Yes to Possibly/ working on it to definitely No… that way users can start to take informed decisions and the uncertainty will start to recede for both users (be able to work out what to do with systems) and Sonos (able to estimate impact/ development needs to resolve/ ignore the issues raised).  Continued silence can only cause more harm than necessary for parties on both sides of the divide.  Many concern is that Sonos, a fragile, recently floated business, will not survive and will either go under or be swallowed up by the likes of Apple/Google as its rare price continues to slide as sales fall significantly short of market expectations.  I’m a professional M&A adviser and have seen similar scenarios many times in which hitherto successful companies make one big mistake and don’t take appropriate corrective action sufficiently quickly.  Damage limitation is key...

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

You do know that they put a kill switch on the rear bracket don’t you?  When Spence approves a particular software update, it falls off the wall…  Though he may not be around to approve it.

But who wants the aesthetically challenged IKEA products?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

... For some of us who want to just purchase a few newer Connect or Connect Amps so we can get past this May shut-out/forced obsolesce/split system issue, There may be some economical options out there instead of the reduced functionality (and stupid expense) of the Amp and Port or the environmental disaster of the “trade-in” program.  Of course Sonos isn’t clear about how much longer their so-called (Modern) units will be supported either...​​​​​​

@kassey22000, I know it’s buried several times in the pages of this thread and others, but we’ve committed to supporting our products with updates for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us, after they’ve been discontinued. And as you all know, we have a track record of doing so for much longer than that. The 2015 Connect and Connect:Amps are only recently no longer sold, or in some cases still available at very limited stock levels. So you’re looking at at least five years worth of updates from when they were discontinued.

I'm sorry Ryan, but this was not what I was told when I brought into the sonos concept. It was sold as a hifi streaming system which could be added to make a truly remarkable system. But now products have an EOL policy, let me put it this way if I were to see a cake that cost £50 and I know that cake has a sell by date of a week. And there was another cake that costs £20 but has no use by date which one would you buy?? But again you have the £50 cake and the £20 cake both have no use by date, you buy the £50 cake as it a better quality but find out later it does have a use by date how would you feel about that.you would think I might as well got the £20 cake, this is exactly what sonos has done and frankly has killed the brand. Sonos may come up with this solution or that explanation of what will happen but non of the statementments returns us to the status que we had when we brought our systems. The sonos board ignore this fact at the company's peril but it's not to late to turn this around but I fear you won't.

To vastly overextend the metaphor, we always knew all cakes for sale have some best before date. We now know for Sonos cakes that is in theory at least 5 years from date of purchase, probably much longer for newer recipe cakes and the cake may in fact turn out to still be good to eat well after that best before date (but no more icing or sprinkles will be offered). Also I’ve had the enjoyment of both having my cake and eating it throughout that period! 

I’m intrigued if there really are other brands of smart speakers or connected audio who can boast the same longevity of support and new features. 

That’s the point we didn’t know our cakes had a use before date and made our purchases thus. Maybe we all were just fooled at the end of the day and the cake had a use by date and we were not told about it until now.