Answered

Volume difference when switching between TV and music

• 11 October 2018
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
There is a significant difference in volume when switching from TV to music on my soundbar, ones, sub 5.1 system.
Comfortable listening on the TV becomes way to loud when switching over to music. Have to remember to turn down the volume when switching over. Is there any way to adjust this so the volume is the same for both.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 October 2018, 20:34

View original

41 replies

Badge
I have exactly the same problem. I do not greatly worry about it as music is mainly played on other devices but it can catch me out sometimes and I would like to know an answer to it
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
+1
Beam volume with my TV Samsung ks8000 55 is low, so I increase volume, then I switch to music and volume is very very high!
Hi, I just spoke to Sonos support regarding this problem.
I was told it is by design?! So when i explained that i have to turn the tv near to 100% then when i switch music, it comes out twice the volume. He still said it was by design.
It's my first sonos speaker but if this is the case it will be going back Monday and I'll stick with my Samsung's.

Has anyone else had a similar response from support, it doesn't seem right?
Userlevel 2
Facing the same issue here, it would be nice to be able to set a predefined volume per input ....
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time to post. This is not "by design" but rather the result of a difference in volume normalization based on the audio output. Put simply, each device has a different output level and Sonos does not have the ability to measure the level of an audio input and normalize it with the current volume.

That being said, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for bringing this up and feel free to continue the conversation with how you would like to see a feature like this implemented.
Userlevel 2
Rather than measure the level ? Could we simply have a setting to adjust it manually per input ... Would be much simpler.
Userlevel 1
I realise this has now been passed to the development team, but I'd like to add that having just bought a Beam today I have the same problem from a Samsung TV. Agree with Bizmax that just being able to assign a manual adjustment would suffice. I've only been using the Beam for a few hours and just beginning to get to play with it but having to ramp up teh TV volume every time the TV is switched on, and then having to block my ears when returning to music is not the greatest welcome to what is otherwise a great product and goes very well with the rest of my Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Just to add this also have this issue with my LG OLED Tv . Hopefully Sonos will release a fix for this soon
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I'm in the same boat as others. My new-ish Samsung TV is connected via the optical audio out (as I could not for the life of me get the ARC to work) and the volume difference between TV and music is annoying.
You can ask my next door neighbors :)
Or my cat.

Wondering if there are any updates from Sonos on this?
It seems like it could be a software modification to assign separate volume levels to the different sources coming to the BEAM.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Doubt it, Sonos say yeah yeah we will pass it on, 6-7 months down the line nothing has happened!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time to post. This is not "by design" but rather the result of a difference in volume normalization based on the audio output. Put simply, each device has a different output level and Sonos does not have the ability to measure the level of an audio input and normalize it with the current volume.

That being said, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for bringing this up and feel free to continue the conversation with how you would like to see a feature like this implemented.

any news?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Any news?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We don't have any updates to share on this feature. Keep an eye out on release notes when updates come out for a list of changes. I'll add your voices to the feature request.
For those who are interested, I also had this exact problem (TV volume very low through the Sonos Beam, but music volume is very loud) but found an easy solution. My TV has the option to disable CEC in its settings menu. (CEC is what allows other devices, in this case Sonos, to change the TV volume.)

Disabling CEC does not affect the actual audio output through the Sonos or anything else, but with CEC disabled the Sonos can no longer control the TV volume, so effectively the Sonos volume and the TV volume are decoupled. So, I could then set the volume using the TV remote control higher, to match the volume of the Sonos music. Now the two are perfectly balanced in relative volume.

Hope this is useful to someone.

-Adrian

Same here, with  samsung tv via optical connection. There is a level adjustment option between TV and music in a 5.1 configuration, but its only for the surround speakers, not the playbar. Spent fewthousands on new Sonos gear and then that? When will there be a solutiion for this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same issue here, new Sonos Beam and LG OLED C9.

this is really frustrating, to the extend that I will have to return the Beam. Real shame, really like it otherwise, but after watching movie in the evening, the following morning anyone playing music by accident on high volume wakes everyone up :/

Badge

SONOS this isn’t a new issue.  We first purchased a Playbar with a new Samsung around 2016 and was quite shocked to find that when watching TV we had to turn the system volume up to half to ¾ on the controller just to begin to be able to hear.  We then purchased a new Samsung TV for another room in 2019 and purchased a Beam at the same time and found that nothing had been corrected with this issue.  And with the fact that these smart TV’s have apps (Amazon Prime, Apple TV, etc) that we use irrespective of any cable provider’s receiver box, you can’t ‘fix’ this by moving the optical output line to the receiver because those apps run solely through the TV.  So I agree that there either needs to be an automatic override when the SONOS detects that it is playing sound from a TV or we need an ability to somehow control this.  It’s over 5 years now.

• I also have this annoying problem. Solution is complicated, as it requires extra steps such as volume change before switching rooms. When not done the volume is much too high (from home cinema to Sonos) or much too low. Would be nice when this is addressed.

Has anyone found a solution? I own a play bar and it works seamlessly when going back and forth from the tv. It is so annoying to switch the music on and have it blaring out of the Beam. I am using the IR adaptor is that the problem? Help Sonos?

Beyond frustration.

After purchasing the Arc on day of UK launch & now adding the Sub3 in Nov. I was! Very happy to join the Sonos family. 

Now after losing TV volume output to a level that is really not acceptable in comparison to all other outputs ie. Spotify, Prime, Netflix, Alexa etc and I have tried all the various recommendations, ie. various cables HDMI & Power cables out back in, all volume settings through app or TV (Samsung KS7000) changed & nothing has improved. 

Please help my patience are lost! With my £1500 investment!

Regards 

Keith Hester 

Hi folks,

We don't have any updates to share on this feature. Keep an eye out on release notes when updates come out for a list of changes. I'll add your voices to the feature request.

What happened? 1 year passed 

Badge

I join the discussion to add a voice. I own a beam and several other products and it's really annoying to have to shift the volume bar to the extreme right each time we use the TV and then not forget to shift it back to the extreme left if we don't want the neighbours to complain.

@Jeff S ,is there any news for this very simple feature? Being able to preset volume according to the source would just solve it. And while you're at it that would be great that the beam went back to the previous volume + group after xx minutes of inactivity from TV source.

Thank you for considering our request.

Count me in as an user that would like this feature (or bugfix..) immensely. 

Using a voice assistent (by choice or accidental voice activation) and playing every music source shakes me to the code after viewing TV. This doesn’t reflect the quality and pleasant ecosystem Sonos is known for. 

Just to add to the previous comments - we too have the same problem when switching to playing music (Spotify) via Sonos play base, sky TV and one of the “apps” now available via Sky eg All4, Amazon etc. Why is there not a simple fix from Sonos? Looking at the posts here it’s been over 2 years since it was raised. Some simple instructions to sort it would be helpful?

same problem here, a new Samsung Qled and a Beam. Sound is great but need really to crack up de volume when using TV. And than… when switching to audio, all hell breaks lose due to the very high volume . Realy need a fix, if not :could be returning my sonos setup.