Answered

Volume difference when switching between TV and music

• 11 October 2018
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
There is a significant difference in volume when switching from TV to music on my soundbar, ones, sub 5.1 system.
Comfortable listening on the TV becomes way to loud when switching over to music. Have to remember to turn down the volume when switching over. Is there any way to adjust this so the volume is the same for both.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 October 2018, 20:34

Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time to post. This is not "by design" but rather the result of a difference in volume normalization based on the audio output. Put simply, each device has a different output level and Sonos does not have the ability to measure the level of an audio input and normalize it with the current volume.

That being said, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for bringing this up and feel free to continue the conversation with how you would like to see a feature like this implemented.
View original

14 replies

For those who are interested, I also had this exact problem (TV volume very low through the Sonos Beam, but music volume is very loud) but found an easy solution. My TV has the option to disable CEC in its settings menu. (CEC is what allows other devices, in this case Sonos, to change the TV volume.)

Disabling CEC does not affect the actual audio output through the Sonos or anything else, but with CEC disabled the Sonos can no longer control the TV volume, so effectively the Sonos volume and the TV volume are decoupled. So, I could then set the volume using the TV remote control higher, to match the volume of the Sonos music. Now the two are perfectly balanced in relative volume.

Hope this is useful to someone.

-Adrian
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We don't have any updates to share on this feature. Keep an eye out on release notes when updates come out for a list of changes. I'll add your voices to the feature request.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Any news?
Badge
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time to post. This is not "by design" but rather the result of a difference in volume normalization based on the audio output. Put simply, each device has a different output level and Sonos does not have the ability to measure the level of an audio input and normalize it with the current volume.

That being said, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for consideration and visibility. Thanks again for bringing this up and feel free to continue the conversation with how you would like to see a feature like this implemented.

any news?
Doubt it, Sonos say yeah yeah we will pass it on, 6-7 months down the line nothing has happened!
Badge +1
I'm in the same boat as others. My new-ish Samsung TV is connected via the optical audio out (as I could not for the life of me get the ARC to work) and the volume difference between TV and music is annoying.
You can ask my next door neighbors :)
Or my cat.

Wondering if there are any updates from Sonos on this?
It seems like it could be a software modification to assign separate volume levels to the different sources coming to the BEAM.
Just to add this also have this issue with my LG OLED Tv . Hopefully Sonos will release a fix for this soon
I realise this has now been passed to the development team, but I'd like to add that having just bought a Beam today I have the same problem from a Samsung TV. Agree with Bizmax that just being able to assign a manual adjustment would suffice. I've only been using the Beam for a few hours and just beginning to get to play with it but having to ramp up teh TV volume every time the TV is switched on, and then having to block my ears when returning to music is not the greatest welcome to what is otherwise a great product and goes very well with the rest of my Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 1
Rather than measure the level ? Could we simply have a setting to adjust it manually per input ... Would be much simpler.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Userlevel 1
Facing the same issue here, it would be nice to be able to set a predefined volume per input ....
Hi, I just spoke to Sonos support regarding this problem.
I was told it is by design?! So when i explained that i have to turn the tv near to 100% then when i switch music, it comes out twice the volume. He still said it was by design.
It's my first sonos speaker but if this is the case it will be going back Monday and I'll stick with my Samsung's.

Has anyone else had a similar response from support, it doesn't seem right?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
+1
Beam volume with my TV Samsung ks8000 55 is low, so I increase volume, then I switch to music and volume is very very high!
I have exactly the same problem. I do not greatly worry about it as music is mainly played on other devices but it can catch me out sometimes and I would like to know an answer to it