LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If there's anything else I can test or any questions, let me know!

When your TV is off, and you power TV on, how long before you hear sound from Arc?

I have LG series8 (previous model), when I power on takes about 2 seconds before I see a picture on TV, and then another 4 or 5 seconds before I see a green LED flash on Arc and I hear sound from Arc.

I previously had a Playbar connected via optical, and I would hear sound as soon as picture appeared, so I’m curious where the delay is.

TIA!

I’ve done a bit of testing and it seems to be roughly 4-5 seconds between pressing the power button and both the audio and video springing into life together. 

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Looks like I’m having the same problem, as I own an LG B9 TV too , difference is I saw the “vision and atoms” sign near to the movie title once and then it didn’t show in other movies, back again to the same movie it’s no longer there. the app also doesn’t read atoms , reads Dolby digital 5.1 

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Looks like I’m having the same problem, as I own an LG B9 TV too , difference is I saw the “vision and atoms” sign near to the movie title once and then it didn’t show in other movies, back again to the same movie it’s no longer there. the app also doesn’t read atoms , reads Dolby digital 5.1 

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

Actually I’ve just realized that the vision.atmos sign was only when the arc is off ! 

Badge

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

What firmware version is your C9?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

Actually I’ve just realized that the vision.atmos sign was only when the arc is off ! 

Hey! Have you tried recreating Bezzer’s steps in this post? 

Badge

Have you tried the PLEX app from LG content store?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

The two channel non-speech is what would happen if a multichannel L-PCM signal is sent to Arc. Only the left and right channels are being played, since only stereo PCM is supported right now. The team just started looking into adding L-PCM to Arc for the future,  based on community request, but we haven’t released a timeline for that yet. 

You’ll want to have your source outputting Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo to avoid missing things like dialogue.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have you tried the PLEX app from LG content store?

Using the WebOS Plex app when playing TrueHD content only outputs as Dolby Digital 5.1 sadly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

The two channel non-speech is what would happen if a multichannel L-PCM signal is sent to Arc. Only the left and right channels are being played, since only stereo PCM is supported right now. The team just started looking into adding L-PCM to Arc for the future,  based on community request, but we haven’t released a timeline for that yet. 

You’ll want to have your source outputting Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo to avoid missing things like dialogue.

Hey Ryan, thanks for that! Sounds like it was really unlucky timing with LG releasing the LPCM passthrough firmware just as the Arc releases. I’m looking forward to the LPCM functionality in the future as it seems like that’ll solve all the weird quirks with the Apple TV and my lovely new Arc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Hey Ryan, thanks for that! Sounds like it was really unlucky timing with LG releasing the LPCM passthrough firmware just as the Arc releases. I’m looking forward to the LPCM functionality in the future as it seems like that’ll solve all the weird quirks with the Apple TV and my lovely new Arc.

Haven’t unpacked my C9 yet as it only arrived today. I hope the LPMC update for the Arc happens sooner rather than later as I usually prefer to use my ATV than inbuild apps. 

I’ve set eARC off on the LG B9 TV, and started receiving Dolby atmos perfectly !

Badge

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

What firmware version is your C9?

Currently running 04.80.03

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Having done some more testing, the issue with Apple TV content outputting as Stereo definitely appears to be due to the newest LG C9 firmware for LPCM. I’d advise not upgrading to 04.80.03 if your main media device is the Apple TV until Sonos patch in LPCM for the Arc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

Hey! Have you tried recreating Bezzer’s steps in this post? 

What @Bezzer  is seeing is correct.

If I watch Atmos content from builtin Nextflix App on my LG Series 8 OLED using INTERNAL TV  speakers I see ‘Dolby Vision’ AND ‘Dolby ATMOS’ logo top right.

If I watch Atmos content from builtin Nextflix App on my LG Series 8 OLED using Sonos Arc speakers connected via ARC (no eARC on series 😎 I see only see ‘Dolby Vision’ logo on TV. BUT I see Dolby Atmos logo on the Sonos App.

My assumption is the LG TV knows its playing Atmos if its via internal speakers, hence it displays the logo. If its passing sound to an external decoder, the TV doesn’t know how its being decoded, so cant display the Atmos logo, even if it is being decoded correctly as Atmos.

Badge

Having done some more testing, the issue with Apple TV content outputting as Stereo definitely appears to be due to the newest LG C9 firmware for LPCM. I’d advise not upgrading to 04.80.03 if your main media device is the Apple TV until Sonos patch in LPCM for the Arc.

Is a FW roll-back possible?

Badge

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

i had a webos update at 4pm yesterday...not checked but is that the lpcm update?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1591857596

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

i had a webos update at 4pm yesterday...not checked but is that the lpcm update?

If you check the firmware on your TV and it says it’s running 04.80.02 then yeah you got the LPCM update.

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning :-(. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning :-(. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

Hey Paul. Yeah HDMI 2 is the correct port to plug the Arc into. The TV doesn’t show a pop-up when playing Dolby Atmos audio like it does when playing Dolby Vision content when configured using an external speaker/soundbar. What does it report in the app under Settings > System > About My System when trying to watch something on Netflix in Atmos? Also out of curiosity are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Did you try re-setting up the devices in the Sonos app?

Badge

its will be a specific port. on my b9 its port 2. then you need to go into sound settings and enable earc and passthrough. Are you using the netfix app on your tv or on a connected device?

Hey Paul. Yeah HDMI 2 is the correct port to plug the Arc into. The TV doesn’t show a pop-up when playing Dolby Atmos audio like it does when playing Dolby Vision content when configured using an external speaker/soundbar. What does it report in the app under Settings > System > About My System when trying to watch something on Netflix in Atmos? Also out of curiosity are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Many thanks for the prompt reply Zophop. Ive actually just tried switching the HDMI cable as i was using the one in the box, but have swapped this out for one that details it has Ethernet, unfortunately still showing as Dolby Vision. Just reset the app now, and no products found. yipee :-(

its will be a specific port. on my b9 its port 2. then you need to go into sound settings and enable earc and passthrough. Are you using the netfix app on your tv or on a connected device?

Thank you, thorugh the tv

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Many thanks for the prompt reply Zophop. Ive actually just tried switching the HDMI cable as i was using the one in the box, but have swapped this out for one that details it has Ethernet, unfortunately still showing as Dolby Vision. Just reset the app now, and no products found. yipee :-(

Really bizarre, sorry to hear you’re having so many issues! What version is your C9’s firmware at currently?