LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Badge

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning :-(. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

its will be a specific port. on my b9 its port 2. then you need to go into sound settings and enable earc and passthrough. Are you using the netfix app on your tv or on a connected device?

Thank you, thorugh the tv

Yeah i think there is some confusion in labelling. The tv just shows dolby vision BUT when you look on the app its playing ATMOS. Try this with 6 underground (its an atmos film on netflix) then your tv will show dolby vision and the app should show atmos

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning :-(. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

Hey Paul. Yeah HDMI 2 is the correct port to plug the Arc into. The TV doesn’t show a pop-up when playing Dolby Atmos audio like it does when playing Dolby Vision content when configured using an external speaker/soundbar. What does it report in the app under Settings > System > About My System when trying to watch something on Netflix in Atmos? Also out of curiosity are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Did you try re-setting up the devices in the Sonos app?

Many thanks for the prompt reply Zophop. Ive actually just tried switching the HDMI cable as i was using the one in the box, but have swapped this out for one that details it has Ethernet, unfortunately still showing as Dolby Vision. Just reset the app now, and no products found. yipee :-(

Really bizarre, sorry to hear you’re having so many issues! What version is your C9’s firmware at currently?

Hey Paul. Yeah HDMI 2 is the correct port to plug the Arc into. The TV doesn’t show a pop-up when playing Dolby Atmos audio like it does when playing Dolby Vision content when configured using an external speaker/soundbar. What does it report in the app under Settings > System > About My System when trying to watch something on Netflix in Atmos? Also out of curiosity are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Many thanks for the prompt reply Zophop. Ive actually just tried switching the HDMI cable as i was using the one in the box, but have swapped this out for one that details it has Ethernet, unfortunately still showing as Dolby Vision. Just reset the app now, and no products found. yipee :-(

Really bizarre, sorry to hear you’re having so many issues! What version is your C9’s firmware at currently?

04.80.03 Having turned the ARC off, the tv then shows its playing Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

04.80.03 Having turned the ARC off, the tv then shows its playing Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos

Is your Sonos app showing all your devices yet? I’m assuming you’re running the new S2 app?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning 😞. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

Is your Sonos app showing all your devices yet? I’m assuming you’re running the new S2 app?

I have the same issue. I only get DD+ and not Atmos from the internal Netflix and Disney + apps but not Atmos. I get full Atmos from my externally connected devices like my ATV and Xbox. I then downloaded the Dolby Access app onto the TV. This displays as Atmos perfectly. This tells me that my TV can pass Atmos to the Arc from internal apps. Not sure what the issue with the internal Netflix app is. It doesn’t even highlight Atmos content in the content descriptions. Says everything is DD. 

Download the Dolby Access app and see what you get. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Updated my firmware from the out off the box 3.60 to 3.71 and it has sorted all my issues once I updated the Netflix app. All internal apps are now showing and playing Atmos correctly. The 3.80 update isn’t showing for download on my TV yet and I haven’t got a memory stick but I will probably wait until Sonos sort the LPMC before I upgrade the TB software any further. 

Badge

Is it LG or Plex that needs to fix this?  I assume it would work on the Sonos Arc if it got the signals...

So frustrating that I can’t get Dolby Atmos TrueHD to play!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey all, my Arc was delivered this morning and I've had a chance to hook it up to my LG C9 directly via eARC and ran a few tests regarding Atmos and other features.

If there's anything else I can test or any questions, let me know

thanks for your feedback, I’m tempted to get one of those bars for my C9 too.

problem I had with Sonos one was that the TV wouldn’t show the volume level/number when connected to the soundbar... could you let me kindly know if that’s the case with this one too?

thanks!

Daniel 

Badge

Yes that's the way hdmi arc works. You can only see a volume + or - appear on screen. You can see the volume amount on the sonos app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes that's the way hdmi arc works. You can only see a volume + or - appear on screen. You can see the volume amount on the sonos app.

I was hoping that Arc using HDMI 2.1 and all would be able to communicate volume with the TV… somehow Samsung TVs from what I understand don’t have that issue?

Dan

Badge

The only time I’ve seen that kind of thing is when the video goes through an AV receiver, and adds a volume overlay over the video.

regardless, it doesn’t on my LG OLED55C9 with Sonos Arc.

The bigger problem for me is the lack of support for Dolby TrueHD. It doesn’t seem possible to play any source with that codec...

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

None of my TVs (Sony, Panasonic, LG) has ever shown the volume level via ARC. It’s usually just a + or - indicator. 

The bigger problem for me is the lack of support for Dolby TrueHD. It doesn’t seem possible to play any source with that codec...

This works via my Nvidia Shield hooked up on a ARC and LG OLED65C9PLA. The only BIG problem i have DTS MA shows a Stereo 2.0 on the SONOS app, really sucks! Anyone knows how to get that to DD5.1

Badge

This works via my Nvidia Shield hooked up on a ARC and LG OLED65C9PLA. The only BIG problem i have DTS MA shows a Stereo 2.0 on the SONOS app, really sucks! Anyone knows how to get that to DD5.1

DTS isn’t supported by LG or Sonos as far as I know.  Good luck with that one!!

But woah.. what source are you playing to get Dolby Atmos TrueHD?  Kodi/Plex/or other app/service?

This is the only frustrating thing about the shield and Sonos limitations. 
You can change the accepted audio formats in the shield audio preferences and untick dts, but you’ll get 2.0 stereo. (once Sonos release multi channel pcm I am hoping this will then be 5.1)
You can also change the HDMI pass through to optical in Plex settings, this way you’ll get 5.1, but you’ll lose Atmos and have to change it back every time. 

the only convenient way I have found, not having to change any settings, is to use nvidia for trueHD and Atmos, and the built in Plex app for LG for DTS movies. 

Im not using PLEX im using KODI :(

Badge

On my older TV, OLED65C7P, it works really well. I get Atmos form the native apps and also from AppleTV.

Hi,

Can you possibly share a pic of how your Arc looks in front of the C9? I want to get one but am conscious of the fact it will sit pretty high compared to the low-profile C9 stand… does it look odd at all?

Hi,

Can you possibly share a pic of how your Arc looks in front of the C9? I want to get one but am conscious of the fact it will sit pretty high compared to the low-profile C9 stand… does it look odd at all?

It definitely cuts off a couple of inches on my 65C9. I bought a riser off of AmazonUK but I’ve seen a few people buy Ikea Lack shelves which is a pretty cheap way of doing it. 

Hi,

It definitely cuts off a couple of inches on my 65C9. I bought a riser off of AmazonUK but I’ve seen a few people buy Ikea Lack shelves which is a pretty cheap way of doing it. 

As I feared… I have no idea why LG made the stand so low-profile when a great many of the people buying OLEDs are going to be pairing them with sound-bars!

Would you mind sharing a link to the riser you purchased?

Hi,

As I feared… I have no idea why LG made the stand so low-profile when a great many of the people buying OLEDs are going to be pairing them with sound-bars!

Would you mind sharing a link to the riser you purchased?

They look great on they’re own but yeah really impractical if you want a soundbar. 
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C97Z42N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SgK6EbBD8FM29

Small caveats, the stand does overhang by half an inch either side at the front, but most of the weight is in the back of the stand so I didn’t find it a problem. It feels really wobbly on the riser, but the stand doesn’t wobble, just the flimsy OLED panel. A bit worrying but I don’t think it would actually be an issue. 

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Atmos is audio format and Dolby Vision is picture quality, they operate independent or together depending on the content….

Userlevel 3
Badge

All working well with LG C9 and Arc...TV is a prompting me to Upgrade firmware to 04.80.03. Am I right in saying I should avoid doing this until Sonos patch in multi LPCM support, Apple TV currently outputs Atmosand 5.1 with no issues

All working well with LG C9 and Arc...TV is a prompting me to Upgrade firmware to 04.80.03. Am I right in saying I should avoid doing this until Sonos patch in multi LPCM support, Apple TV currently outputs Atmosand 5.1 with no issues

I set my LG C9 to not update automatically. Will keep it like that because sometimes these updates break other things and I rather wait until I read how others are making out with the update. Its seems as thou 04.80.03 is a problem for Apple TV 4K, my primary viewing device. So on that note I am still waiting on a confirmed answer before updating. As of right now with the current firmware I have everything is working great I don't want to mess it up...enjoying every thing, LG C9, Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc and ATMOS content…..

Userlevel 3
Badge

I set my LG C9 to not update automatically. Will keep it like that because sometimes these updates break other things and I rather wait until I read how others are making out with the update. Its seems as thou 04.80.03 is a problem for Apple TV 4K, my primary viewing device. So on that note I am still waiting on a confirmed answer before updating. As of right now with the current firmware I have everything is working great I don't want to mess it up...enjoying every thing, LG C9, Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc and ATMOS content…..

Cheers - no firmware update for me then :-)