LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Hello, 

Got an answer from Sony in 3 hours no less.  It  was easy and not documented in any manuals I could find. Funny that the menu doesn't just offer the same sort of support. Nor would have thought to hit the display key on remote. 

Once I was able to do the steps it showed PCM but  not in the document is that it's  actually a changeable feature. Scrolled up saw Dolby Atmos and hit enter and wa la!!!! 

Thanks again for your help . I'm sure I speak for others  in saying how much you're appreciated for the information you provide to the community. 

Augie

There are two ways to check if the audio is set to Dolby Atmos® format:

• On the supplied remote, press the DISPLAY button.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on your TV screen.
  • On the front panel of the device, press the DISPLAY or DISPLAY MODE button several times.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on the display panel.

Note:

• The audio format may not appear if you're playing a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc™.
  • The playback information will not appear when the unit is on TV input.

Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate people like you who take the time to help out. 

Augie

There are two ways to check if the audio is set to Dolby Atmos® format:

• On the supplied remote, press the DISPLAY button.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on your TV screen.
  • On the front panel of the device, press the DISPLAY or DISPLAY MODE button several times.
    • DAtmos or DOLBY ATMOS will appear on the display panel.

Note:

• The audio format may not appear if you're playing a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc™.
  • The playback information will not appear when the unit is on TV input.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for sharing and helping out @Zophop!

Badge

Is it LG or Plex that needs to fix this?  I assume it would work on the Sonos Arc if it got the signals...

So frustrating that I can’t get Dolby Atmos TrueHD to play!

Badge

Hi all, I’m having an issue that I haven’t seen discussed in this thread. Basically my C9 always defaults to internal speakers & Optical audio every time I switch on or change source. It’s really annoying because I have to manually go into the C9’s settings and choose ARC. Every time.

I had a similar issue when I first got my CX. Found the fix was easy... I had an optical cable plugged into the CX that I wasn’t actually needed/used. Unplugged it, then all was fine after that. Seems like the CX can detect an optical cable is plugged in and will then default to it (even though the other end of my optical wasn’t connected to anything). I know it’s 7 months since you wrote that, but if you still living with it hopefully that solves it for you.

Hi,

Can you possibly share a pic of how your Arc looks in front of the C9? I want to get one but am conscious of the fact it will sit pretty high compared to the low-profile C9 stand… does it look odd at all?

It definitely cuts off a couple of inches on my 65C9. I bought a riser off of AmazonUK but I’ve seen a few people buy Ikea Lack shelves which is a pretty cheap way of doing it. 

As I feared… I have no idea why LG made the stand so low-profile when a great many of the people buying OLEDs are going to be pairing them with sound-bars!

Would you mind sharing a link to the riser you purchased?

They look great on they’re own but yeah really impractical if you want a soundbar. 
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C97Z42N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SgK6EbBD8FM29

Small caveats, the stand does overhang by half an inch either side at the front, but most of the weight is in the back of the stand so I didn’t find it a problem. It feels really wobbly on the riser, but the stand doesn’t wobble, just the flimsy OLED panel. A bit worrying but I don’t think it would actually be an issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

The two channel non-speech is what would happen if a multichannel L-PCM signal is sent to Arc. Only the left and right channels are being played, since only stereo PCM is supported right now. The team just started looking into adding L-PCM to Arc for the future,  based on community request, but we haven’t released a timeline for that yet. 

You’ll want to have your source outputting Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo to avoid missing things like dialogue.

Hey Ryan, thanks for that! Sounds like it was really unlucky timing with LG releasing the LPCM passthrough firmware just as the Arc releases. I’m looking forward to the LPCM functionality in the future as it seems like that’ll solve all the weird quirks with the Apple TV and my lovely new Arc.

I appreciate the help and I will hit them up.

Have a great weekend

All working well with LG C9 and Arc...TV is a prompting me to Upgrade firmware to 04.80.03. Am I right in saying I should avoid doing this until Sonos patch in multi LPCM support, Apple TV currently outputs Atmosand 5.1 with no issues

I set my LG C9 to not update automatically. Will keep it like that because sometimes these updates break other things and I rather wait until I read how others are making out with the update. Its seems as thou 04.80.03 is a problem for Apple TV 4K, my primary viewing device. So on that note I am still waiting on a confirmed answer before updating. As of right now with the current firmware I have everything is working great I don't want to mess it up...enjoying every thing, LG C9, Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc and ATMOS content…..

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

The two channel non-speech is what would happen if a multichannel L-PCM signal is sent to Arc. Only the left and right channels are being played, since only stereo PCM is supported right now. The team just started looking into adding L-PCM to Arc for the future,  based on community request, but we haven’t released a timeline for that yet. 

You’ll want to have your source outputting Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo to avoid missing things like dialogue.

Hey Ryan, thanks for that! Sounds like it was really unlucky timing with LG releasing the LPCM passthrough firmware just as the Arc releases. I’m looking forward to the LPCM functionality in the future as it seems like that’ll solve all the weird quirks with the Apple TV and my lovely new Arc.

Haven’t unpacked my C9 yet as it only arrived today. I hope the LPMC update for the Arc happens sooner rather than later as I usually prefer to use my ATV than inbuild apps. 

Badge

The only time I’ve seen that kind of thing is when the video goes through an AV receiver, and adds a volume overlay over the video.

regardless, it doesn’t on my LG OLED55C9 with Sonos Arc.

The bigger problem for me is the lack of support for Dolby TrueHD. It doesn’t seem possible to play any source with that codec...

Userlevel 3
Badge

All working well with LG C9 and Arc...TV is a prompting me to Upgrade firmware to 04.80.03. Am I right in saying I should avoid doing this until Sonos patch in multi LPCM support, Apple TV currently outputs Atmosand 5.1 with no issues

I set my LG C9 to not update automatically. Will keep it like that because sometimes these updates break other things and I rather wait until I read how others are making out with the update. Its seems as thou 04.80.03 is a problem for Apple TV 4K, my primary viewing device. So on that note I am still waiting on a confirmed answer before updating. As of right now with the current firmware I have everything is working great I don't want to mess it up...enjoying every thing, LG C9, Apple TV 4K and the Sonos Arc and ATMOS content…..

Cheers - no firmware update for me then :-) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For future reference: did you change any settings in Kodi to change the transcoding of DTS from DD to PCM/LPCM?

Userlevel 1

I was able to setup everything and Atmos from e.g. Netflix (6 Underground) is working perfectly. 

However, I was not able to get TrueHD working so far. I tried it via Apple TV 4K Using Infuse but it of course transcodes it to Dolby Digital 5.1, same thing for PLEX.

The next thing I will try is to connect via DLNP to my NAS Server. I really don’t know is this a LG, Sonos or PLEX issue?

Anyone else who could stream True HD?

Another question, is there a big difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and TrueHD?

I was able to setup everything and Atmos from e.g. Netflix (6 Underground) is working perfectly. 

However, I was not able to get TrueHD working so far. I tried it via Apple TV 4K Using Infuse but it of course transcodes it to Dolby Digital 5.1, same thing for PLEX.

The next thing I will try is to connect via DLNP to my NAS Server. I really don’t know is this a LG, Sonos or PLEX issue?

Another question, is there a big difference between Dolby Digital 5.1 and TrueHD?

To get trueHD you need an external source connected to the tv via earc. Apple TV doesn’t support trueHD unfortunately. You’d need a Blu-ray player or something like an nvidia shield.
the internal apps also don’t support TrueHD. 

The difference between them is that trueHD is lossless, so the audio is transmitted as is to the soundbar. 
dolby digital plus is lossy, compressed audio to reduce the bitrate. 
there is a certainly a difference between the codecs, but it might not be enough of a difference for most people to worry about it. 

Userlevel 1

To get trueHD you need an external source connected to the tv via earc. Apple TV doesn’t support trueHD unfortunately. You’d need a Blu-ray player or something like an nvidia shield.

The difference between them is that trueHD is lossless, so the audio is transmitted as is to the soundbar. 

Ok, so I just added an external USB Drive to my C9 and tried to play it via the internal media player from the TV, but again “audio format not supported”

This is quite disappointing.

Therefore, unless I buy something like a nvidia shield which is supporting trueHD, I will not get it correct?

Or can this be added at a later stage?

BTW: I assume the Arc is supporting TrueHD?

Ok, so I just added an external USB Drive to my C9 and tried to play it via the internal media player from the TV, but again “audio format not supported”

This is quite disappointing.

Therefore, unless I buy something like a nvidia shield which is supporting trueHD, I will not get it correct?

Or can this be added at a later stage?

BTW: I assume the Arc is supporting TrueHD?

That’s right, you’d need an external player. I’ve not seen any information about LG being able to support TrueHD from its internal apps, I think I recall seeing it being a limitation of WebOS so I wouldn’t hold out hope on support coming. LG are notorious for not supporting their TVs for very long so it would likely be on a later model if at all. 

The Arc does support TrueHD yeah, I use an nvidia shield to pass through my media files on Plex and get TrueHD that way. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Having done some more testing, the issue with Apple TV content outputting as Stereo definitely appears to be due to the newest LG C9 firmware for LPCM. I’d advise not upgrading to 04.80.03 if your main media device is the Apple TV until Sonos patch in LPCM for the Arc.

Badge

Having done some more testing, the issue with Apple TV content outputting as Stereo definitely appears to be due to the newest LG C9 firmware for LPCM. I’d advise not upgrading to 04.80.03 if your main media device is the Apple TV until Sonos patch in LPCM for the Arc.

Is a FW roll-back possible?

So im running the atmos on earc and I have a shield pro (newest model) on another hdmi slot and I play a true HD source on plex (blueray movie or Dolby atmos test file). Somehow the best audio I get is Dolby digital plus 7.1 and plex tell me atmos is not supported on thisdevice. What am I doing wrong to get atmos playing?

Badge

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

i had a webos update at 4pm yesterday...not checked but is that the lpcm update?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

i had a webos update at 4pm yesterday...not checked but is that the lpcm update?

If you check the firmware on your TV and it says it’s running 04.80.02 then yeah you got the LPCM update.

That is bizarre. I just turned earc off set pass through to no and played it. Turned them back on again and i now have atmos..Thanks for testing this for me zophop its much appreciated. So its all working on my B9 if anyone wants anything testing :-)

I have the same issue. I tried changing the eArc to off and Digital Sound Out to PCM from Passthrough ( I see Passthrough, Auto and PCM options only) and played Underground 6 and changed those back to Passthrough and eArc to On. Still all my apps are playing only in Dolby Vision and not Atmos 😞

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning :-(. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

Hi all,

I just purchased lg oled bx series with Arc, and i connect it with my sony ubp- x800. The problem is can't playing dolby atmos. Atmos work perfectly fine on netflix.

Any suggestions guys.

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning :-(. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

Hey Paul. Yeah HDMI 2 is the correct port to plug the Arc into. The TV doesn’t show a pop-up when playing Dolby Atmos audio like it does when playing Dolby Vision content when configured using an external speaker/soundbar. What does it report in the app under Settings > System > About My System when trying to watch something on Netflix in Atmos? Also out of curiosity are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Did you try re-setting up the devices in the Sonos app?