LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is very strange as I have the C9 and Apple TV 4K and in Disney I get 5.1 no issue and on prime i am only get 2.0 stereo?! So it seems I am getting something different to you even with the exact same set up?

What’s your audio settings on the Apple TV set to? That’s really odd!

They are set to change audio NO and Atmos on! So the Atmos stuff on amazon is showing 2.0 and Disney Atmos is showing 5.1

So bizarre. What region are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

I am based in the UK

I’ve just reset my Apple TV and I’m still getting Atmos in Netflix and Amazon but only 2.0 in Disney+, so weird. 

Badge

Sorry, but are you confirming that LG C9 has fixed the audio delay when connecting the PS4 via ARC/eARC with the Sonos Arc?

I’m stuck on a LG C7 and thinking about returning my the Sonos Arc because of this unfixable sound delay (Sonos ARC doesnt even have optical to bypass this). If you can confirm LG has fixed this delay with newer TV’s, I might hold onto the soundbar and buy a new tv in the next few years instead. 

Confirming you have PS4 > LG C9 > Sonos Arc via eArc, and no audio delay at all using Bitstream Dolby Digital?

thank you!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi All, i appreciate I’m certainly in the category of ‘all the gear no idea’ but i took purchase of my LG C9 and my Sonos Arc yesterday. I have the arc connected into HDMI 2 (as this states its ARC) so question number one, is this the correct HDMI port to use? or does enabling eARC convert all HDMI ports to be eARC? I have then tried Netflix, Disney +, Amazon, and SKY UHD, and all are showing as Dolby vison on screen, although through their respective apps, says it supports Dolby ATMOS. Through the Sonos app the ‘now playing’ shows nothing rather annoyingly, just the volume! I have eARC enabled and sound through is auto. Am i doing something wrong? Furthermore my Sonos app wont recognize any device this morning 😞. Restarted all appliances, restarted my router, still nothing. Strangely my Amazon dot is working fine! Any help is much appreciated

Hey Paul. Yeah HDMI 2 is the correct port to plug the Arc into. The TV doesn’t show a pop-up when playing Dolby Atmos audio like it does when playing Dolby Vision content when configured using an external speaker/soundbar. What does it report in the app under Settings > System > About My System when trying to watch something on Netflix in Atmos? Also out of curiosity are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Arc?

Did you try re-setting up the devices in the Sonos app?

Many thanks for the prompt reply Zophop. Ive actually just tried switching the HDMI cable as i was using the one in the box, but have swapped this out for one that details it has Ethernet, unfortunately still showing as Dolby Vision. Just reset the app now, and no products found. yipee :-(

Really bizarre, sorry to hear you’re having so many issues! What version is your C9’s firmware at currently?

04.80.03 Having turned the ARC off, the tv then shows its playing Dolby vision and Dolby Atmos

Is your Sonos app showing all your devices yet? I’m assuming you’re running the new S2 app?

I have the same issue. I only get DD+ and not Atmos from the internal Netflix and Disney + apps but not Atmos. I get full Atmos from my externally connected devices like my ATV and Xbox. I then downloaded the Dolby Access app onto the TV. This displays as Atmos perfectly. This tells me that my TV can pass Atmos to the Arc from internal apps. Not sure what the issue with the internal Netflix app is. It doesn’t even highlight Atmos content in the content descriptions. Says everything is DD. 

Download the Dolby Access app and see what you get. 

Hey all, my Arc was delivered this morning and I've had a chance to hook it up to my LG C9 directly via eARC and ran a few tests regarding Atmos and other features.

Built in apps:

• Netflix - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU)

• Amazon Prime - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

Xbox One:

• HDMI Audio set to Bitstream out and Bistream Format set to Dolby Atmos has no delay, finally! Displays Dolby Atmos in Sonos app.

PS4:

• Like with the Xbox, there's no delay on Bitstream HDMI audio

NVidia Shield Pro:

• Netflix - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• Amazon Prime - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU). After connecting up to a US VPN it's reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• PLEX - This is where it gets slightly annoying. Playing TrueHD content it reports Stereo 2.0. Setting Passthrough to HDMI reports Dolby Atmos (TrueHD). For DTS content you need to switch the Passthrough setting to Optical which in turn causes TrueHD to playback in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

Apple TV:

• iTunes Content - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content. Non Atmos content reports Stereo 2.0. With Change Format > On and New Format > Dolby Digital 5.1, I receive Dolby Digital 5.1 from non-Atmos iTunes content. I ran this test using Beetlejuice and Avengers Assemble.

• Netflix - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content.

• Amazon Prime - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Stereo 2.0 for all content bizarrely. Setting audio output on the Apple TV to Dolby 5.1 allows all content to playback in 5.1 rather than stereo.

My C9 is running firmware 04.80.03 with the following settings:

Sound Out

HDMI ARC selected

Digital Sound Out set to Passthrough

eARC set to ON

Additional Settings

DTV Audio Setting set to Auto

HDMI Input Audio Format set to Bitstream.

If there's anything else I can test or any questions, let me know!

Where is the 'DTV Audio Setting set to auto'?

Mike010101,

DTV Audio is located at “Settings/Sound/Additional Settings"

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mike010101,

That’s for Digital TV channels. As in your satellite channels, not your HDMI inputs.

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Looks like I’m having the same problem, as I own an LG B9 TV too , difference is I saw the “vision and atoms” sign near to the movie title once and then it didn’t show in other movies, back again to the same movie it’s no longer there. the app also doesn’t read atoms , reads Dolby digital 5.1 

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

Mike010101,

That’s for Digital TV channels. As in your satellite channels, not your HDMI inputs.

Ok, I don't have satellite, so maybe that's why I don't see it there.  My set top box is connected to my tv via hdmi

Thank you both

Hi,

Can you possibly share a pic of how your Arc looks in front of the C9? I want to get one but am conscious of the fact it will sit pretty high compared to the low-profile C9 stand… does it look odd at all?

Mike010101,

I was just answering the question and pointing out where the TV setting is located on the C9. I don’t have satellite either and there’s only digital TV channels here in the U.K. There’s no analog channels? Anyhow this is the info displayed, concerning the ‘audio output’ if that helps at all.

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Looks like I’m having the same problem, as I own an LG B9 TV too , difference is I saw the “vision and atoms” sign near to the movie title once and then it didn’t show in other movies, back again to the same movie it’s no longer there. the app also doesn’t read atoms , reads Dolby digital 5.1 

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

Actually I’ve just realized that the vision.atmos sign was only when the arc is off ! 

Hi,

Can you possibly share a pic of how your Arc looks in front of the C9? I want to get one but am conscious of the fact it will sit pretty high compared to the low-profile C9 stand… does it look odd at all?

It definitely cuts off a couple of inches on my 65C9. I bought a riser off of AmazonUK but I’ve seen a few people buy Ikea Lack shelves which is a pretty cheap way of doing it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mike010101,

I was just answering the question and pointing out where the TV setting is located on the C9. I don’t have satellite either and there’s only digital TV channels here in the U.K. There’s no analog channels? Anyhow this is the info displayed, concerning the ‘audio output’ if that helps at all.

Digital TV is DTV.

Hi,

It definitely cuts off a couple of inches on my 65C9. I bought a riser off of AmazonUK but I’ve seen a few people buy Ikea Lack shelves which is a pretty cheap way of doing it. 

As I feared… I have no idea why LG made the stand so low-profile when a great many of the people buying OLEDs are going to be pairing them with sound-bars!

Would you mind sharing a link to the riser you purchased?

Mike010101,

Digital TV is DTV.

huh...and 🤔? ...(As stated I was just answering Mike010101’s question as to where the setting is located on the C9 TV).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The point is that it has nothing to do with his problem or this thread to begin with. You’re welcome.

The point is that it has nothing to do with his problem or this thread to begin with. You’re welcome.

Mike010101 has only posted the one question in this thread and to quote his post... "Where is the 'DTV Audio Setting set to auto'?”

I can’t help it being off topic, that’s something you may wish to address with him, but it’s clear to me that he was merely trying to perhaps check/copy the C9 settings that were working for Zophop.

I was just explaining where he could find that TV setting.

Hi all, I’m having an issue that I haven’t seen discussed in this thread. Basically my C9 always defaults to internal speakers & Optical audio every time I switch on or change source. It’s really annoying because I have to manually go into the C9’s settings and choose ARC. Every time.

My setup is C9, Arc, Sky UK, NVIDIA Shield and then a HDMI switch connected to PS4 and Nintendo Switch. 

Once I manually select ARC audio from the C9’s settings, I get flawless audio in Atmos etc. it’s just annoying having to choose Arc audio every time.

Any help / advice appreciated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mike010101 has only posted the one question in this thread and to quote his post... "Where is the 'DTV Audio Setting set to auto'?”

I can’t help it being off topic, that’s something you may wish to address with him, but it’s clear to me that he was merely trying to perhaps check/copy the C9 settings that were working for Zophop.

I was just explaining where he could find that TV setting.

And I explained what it does. I don’t understand your problem here?

Badge

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

What firmware version is your C9?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

Actually I’ve just realized that the vision.atmos sign was only when the arc is off ! 

Hey! Have you tried recreating Bezzer’s steps in this post? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

First off thanks for the info .

I have the same config on my C9 as you spelled out. Streaming tidal in Atmos works great as does prime, Disney and Netflix.

Trouble I have is with a Sony Blu Ray. I'm playing  The Beatles Abby Road in Dolby Atmos but Blu Ray will not switch from PCM to Atmos. I've tried all troubleshooting on the blu ray and checked it all. 

Even did a system reset on the blu ray audio and then set it based on info from two sources, Sony and LG. 

No luck. Still sounds great but I would really like to see the Blu Ray switch to Atmos.

Any thoughts?

you don’t mention which actual Sony BDP model you have so i just looked at the manual for UBP-X800M2, searched for and found Atmos in the troubleshooting section on page 29 where it mentions:

The HD Audio (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby
TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio,
DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos*2 and
DTS:X*3) is not output by bitstream.

• Set [BD Secondary Audio] in [Audio
Settings] to [Off] (page 24).
• Check that the Sound Bar/AV amplifier
(receiver) is compatible with each HD Audio
format.

this might be an issue if your device is playing out PCM instead of Bitstream. on the LG C9 side, while you have the Sony BDP input active, check that Settings>Sound>Additional Settings>HDMI Input Audio Format for all inputs is set to Bitstream. all of the inputs are listed but you can only change the active input.

There seems to be a huge amount of confusion centered around the Sonos arc and dolby atmos compatibility.  I recently purchased and arc and sub gen 3. I have an older Samsung TV (2016) that doesn’t have an eARC connection. I figured I’d be able to get a lossy version of Dolby Surround with atmos, but no such luck. I’ve been unable to get the atmos to fire on any system (if there is a fix, please let me know).

I’m thinking of purchasing an LG C9, but wanted to confirm with the community before I pull the trigger.

My setup will mainly get content through an external Apple TV 4K running into the eARC. Will I be able to get Atmos functionality through the AppleTVs Netflix, Prime, and iTunes movie apps?

There seems to be so many different answers, so if anyone can coalesce these answers - It would be greatly appreciated!

Badge

Have you tried the PLEX app from LG content store?