LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Badge

The tv 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The tv 

If it’s playing Atmos content it should show in the Sonos app that it’s playing Dolby Atmos (DD+) or (Dolby Atmos (TrueHD). What are your audio settings on your B9?

Userlevel 1

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

The two channel non-speech is what would happen if a multichannel L-PCM signal is sent to Arc. Only the left and right channels are being played, since only stereo PCM is supported right now. The team just started looking into adding L-PCM to Arc for the future,  based on community request, but we haven’t released a timeline for that yet. 

You’ll want to have your source outputting Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo to avoid missing things like dialogue.

I have a similar setup C9 / Apple TV/ Arc

Unfortunately, I updated to the latest Firware Version (04.08.xx) and now everything is kind of screwed up. Now I’m playing around with settings and trying to fix it.

There are so many options which are solving the issue of getting back the speech channels, however the Sonos app is always showing Stereo 2.0.

What is the right setting on my LG c9, not to only get the speech channels back but also proper audioinput how it was before??

In the HDMI ARC Options:

-Do I disable eArc

-Or do I set “Digital sound out” to PCM instead of pass trough

Another option would be to set HDMI Input Audio Format from Bitsteam to PCM

As metioned I want to have it properly fixed, and not just the speech channels back.

Can anyone help here? For now I will continue to use LGs inbuilt apps.

@Ryan S : I would really appreciate if this L-PCM feature will be implemented in a timely manner. I’m really thinking about returning the ARC back and buying it again when it’s not in this “beta” stage anymore. I expect more from a 900 Euro Soundbar.

Not to mention the “Bass” issue that is reported in another thread.

Badge +1

Where is this firmware available?

I can’t see this firmware version here in Germany.

Regards Hoppel

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Where is this firmware available?

I can’t see this firmware version here in Germany.

Regards Hoppel

It’s not available on the website, but if you go to your settings > General > about this tv and click Check update it should see it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

The two channel non-speech is what would happen if a multichannel L-PCM signal is sent to Arc. Only the left and right channels are being played, since only stereo PCM is supported right now. The team just started looking into adding L-PCM to Arc for the future,  based on community request, but we haven’t released a timeline for that yet. 

You’ll want to have your source outputting Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo to avoid missing things like dialogue.

I have a similar setup C9 / Apple TV/ Arc

Unfortunately, I updated to the latest Firware Version (04.08.xx) and now everything is kind of screwed up. Now I’m playing around with settings and trying to fix it.

There are so many options which are solving the issue of getting back the speech channels, however the Sonos app is always showing Stereo 2.0.

What is the right setting on my LG c9, not to only get the speech channels back but also proper audioinput how it was before??

this would seem to be a question to ask LG since its their firmware that introduce this regression in behavior. they might just have you downgrade firmware.

In the HDMI ARC Options:

-Do I disable eArc

eARC will be needed in general unless LG thinks it will resolve the new firmware bug.

-Or do I set “Digital sound out” to PCM instead of pass trough

Another option would be to set HDMI Input Audio Format from Bitsteam to PCM

As metioned I want to have it properly fixed, and not just the speech channels back.

Can anyone help here? For now I will continue to use LGs inbuilt apps.

since the Arc won’t understand any multichannel PCM above stereo i’d suggest setting it to Bitstream on the inputs and Auto or Pass Through for the Digital Sound Out. if those settings don’t work for the ATV4K, it really is something LG will need to fix in the short term since the Sonos hasn’t announced any timeline (and probably won’t) on the LPCM feature.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

So I have the LG CX 

and use Apple TV 4K and Oppo203 player

Will I get this issue with 5.1 and stereo that I have read on here. I’m amazed that some of these sound issues still exist, would I be best holding off purchasing until Sonos have updated the ARC with this LPCM fix.

I have the 65” C9 also. Are there any lipsync issues with the Arc? I never had any with the beam but can see a lot of people get lipsync issues.

Badge

ok so i have 

sound out hdmi arc. when i click  into hdmi arc the settings are

Digital sound out is auto (have tried setting it to passthrough and no different)  

eARC is set to on

when i go into netfrix options it has English (original) ( atmos) ticked.

When i look at the sonos ap it says arc is playing dolby digital plus 5.1

is it simply a labelling thing? nothing actually says ATMOS

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

ok so i have 

Digital sound out is auto (have tried setting it to passthrough and no different)  

eARC is set to on

What is it you’re watching on Netflix so I can test it out on my set?

This is exactly the same set of gear that I have (except still deciding on the Arc, and a Nintendo Switch). Been chasing lip sync problems for a while with my current soundbar, a Yamaha YSP-2700. 

So a few questions:

1. Are you using a HDMI switch on one of the C9 inputs? And if so, is it introducing any problems with eARC to the Arc?
  2. How bad is the overlap with the insanely low C9 stand?
  3. How does it sound?
  4. Ugh, that Plex issue….

(edit - actually I suspect that the Shield/Plex problem might go away when Arc adds multi-LPCM. I also wonder if the AppleTV Disney+ problem just requires a force close of the app, or an AppleTV reboot).

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This is very strange as I have the C9 and Apple TV 4K and in Disney I get 5.1 no issue and on prime i am only get 2.0 stereo?! So it seems I am getting something different to you even with the exact same set up?

Badge

ok so i have 

eARC is set to on

What is it you’re watching on Netflix so I can test it out on my set?

6 underground..just as a test

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Any ETA on the fix for the Arc with LG 04.80.03?

I have the 65” C9 also. Are there any lipsync issues with the Arc? I never had any with the beam but can see a lot of people get lipsync issues.

Hi,

I’m running an arc with a 65’ C9 with zero lip sync issues.

Bluray/PS4 fine, built in apps (Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, prime) all fine and sky Q fine.

Thank you :) I've just gone out and bought one. Couldn't resist! 

Badge

Here is what it shows in netflix

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is very strange as I have the C9 and Apple TV 4K and in Disney I get 5.1 no issue and on prime i am only get 2.0 stereo?! So it seems I am getting something different to you even with the exact same set up?

What’s your audio settings on the Apple TV set to? That’s really odd!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

They are set to change audio NO and Atmos on! So the Atmos stuff on amazon is showing 2.0 and Disney Atmos is showing 5.1

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Zophop - I also have a C9 and unfortunately Arc has been held up in delivery so won’t come until tomorrow. Couple of questions:

1. If you stream content through the inbuilt Apple TV app, is it coming through as Atmos or DD 5.1?
  2. Do you have a Sky Q box hooked Up to the Tv and if so, any lip sync type issues?
  3. Odd the Disney + app isn’t coming through as Atmos, will hopefully sort itself out 

Sounds like it’s pretty much play and play for the C9 which is good!

1. Using the inbuilt Apple TV app Atmos supporting content comes through as DD 5.1.
  2. I’ve not got a Sky Q box to test with as I’m a Virgin Media customer. The fact that the sync issues with the Xbox & PS4 seem to be solved hopefully bodes well for lip sync and the Sky Q.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here is what it shows in netflix

That’s really odd, I’ve just tested with 6 Underground and my Sonos app is reporting Atmos

First off thanks for the info .

I have the same config on my C9 as you spelled out. Streaming tidal in Atmos works great as does prime, Disney and Netflix.

Trouble I have is with a Sony Blu Ray. I'm playing  The Beatles Abby Road in Dolby Atmos but Blu Ray will not switch from PCM to Atmos. I've tried all troubleshooting on the blu ray and checked it all. 

Even did a system reset on the blu ray audio and then set it based on info from two sources, Sony and LG. 

No luck. Still sounds great but I would really like to see the Blu Ray switch to Atmos.

Any thoughts?

Badge

That is bizarre. I just turned earc off set pass through to no and played it. Turned them back on again and i now have atmos..Thanks for testing this for me zophop its much appreciated. So its all working on my B9 if anyone wants anything testing :-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

They are set to change audio NO and Atmos on! So the Atmos stuff on amazon is showing 2.0 and Disney Atmos is showing 5.1

So bizarre. What region are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

So bizarre. What region are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

I am based in the UK

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks Zophop - I also have a C9 and unfortunately Arc has been held up in delivery so won’t come until tomorrow. Couple of questions:

1. If you stream content through the inbuilt Apple TV app, is it coming through as Atmos or DD 5.1?
  2. Do you have a Sky Q box hooked Up to the Tv and if so, any lip sync type issues?
  3. Odd the Disney + app isn’t coming through as Atmos, will hopefully sort itself out 

Sounds like it’s pretty much play and play for the C9 which is good!

1. Using the inbuilt Apple TV app Atmos supporting content comes through as DD 5.1.
  2. I’ve not got a Sky Q box to test with as I’m a Virgin Media customer. The fact that the sync issues with the Xbox & PS4 seem to be solved hopefully bodes well for lip sync and the Sky Q.

Cheers - bit frustrating the built in Apple TV app only outputs in 5.1 - hopefully they will fix this through a patch