LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey all, my Arc was delivered this morning and I've had a chance to hook it up to my LG C9 directly via eARC and ran a few tests regarding Atmos and other features.

Built in apps:

• Netflix - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU)

• Amazon Prime - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

Xbox One:

• HDMI Audio set to Bitstream out and Bistream Format set to Dolby Atmos has no delay, finally! Displays Dolby Atmos in Sonos app.

PS4:

• Like with the Xbox, there's no delay on Bitstream HDMI audio

NVidia Shield Pro:

• Netflix - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• Amazon Prime - Reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 (though this is likely due to the current throttling taking place in the EU). After connecting up to a US VPN it's reporting Dolby Atmos (DD+) for Atmos content.

• PLEX - This is where it gets slightly annoying. Playing TrueHD content it reports Stereo 2.0. Setting Passthrough to HDMI reports Dolby Atmos (TrueHD). For DTS content you need to switch the Passthrough setting to Optical which in turn causes TrueHD to playback in Dolby Digital Plus 5.1.

Apple TV:

• iTunes Content - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content. Non Atmos content reports Stereo 2.0. With Change Format > On and New Format > Dolby Digital 5.1, I receive Dolby Digital 5.1 from non-Atmos iTunes content. I ran this test using Beetlejuice and Avengers Assemble.

• Netflix - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content.

• Amazon Prime - Reports Dolby Atmos for Atmos content.

• Disney+ - Reporting Stereo 2.0 for all content bizarrely. Setting audio output on the Apple TV to Dolby 5.1 allows all content to playback in 5.1 rather than stereo.

My C9 is running firmware 04.80.03 with the following settings:

Sound Out

HDMI ARC selected

Digital Sound Out set to Passthrough

eARC set to ON

Additional Settings

DTV Audio Setting set to Auto

HDMI Input Audio Format set to Bitstream.

If there's anything else I can test or any questions, let me know!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Looks like I’m having the same problem, as I own an LG B9 TV too , difference is I saw the “vision and atoms” sign near to the movie title once and then it didn’t show in other movies, back again to the same movie it’s no longer there. the app also doesn’t read atoms , reads Dolby digital 5.1 

any recommendations? 

Thanks 

Actually I’ve just realized that the vision.atmos sign was only when the arc is off ! 

Hey! Have you tried recreating Bezzer’s steps in this post? 

What @Bezzer  is seeing is correct.

If I watch Atmos content from builtin Nextflix App on my LG Series 8 OLED using INTERNAL TV  speakers I see ‘Dolby Vision’ AND ‘Dolby ATMOS’ logo top right.

If I watch Atmos content from builtin Nextflix App on my LG Series 8 OLED using Sonos Arc speakers connected via ARC (no eARC on series 😎 I see only see ‘Dolby Vision’ logo on TV. BUT I see Dolby Atmos logo on the Sonos App.

My assumption is the LG TV knows its playing Atmos if its via internal speakers, hence it displays the logo. If its passing sound to an external decoder, the TV doesn’t know how its being decoded, so cant display the Atmos logo, even if it is being decoded correctly as Atmos.

This is hugely disappointing. I have the same problem. 

The good news is you can drive DD 5.1 by setting the setting manually on the Apple TV. It just sucks that the best TV on the market with one of the best soundbars with the best streaming set top box can’t move between Atmos, 5.1, and 2.0 gracefully.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

The two channel non-speech is what would happen if a multichannel L-PCM signal is sent to Arc. Only the left and right channels are being played, since only stereo PCM is supported right now. The team just started looking into adding L-PCM to Arc for the future,  based on community request, but we haven’t released a timeline for that yet. 

You’ll want to have your source outputting Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo to avoid missing things like dialogue.

I’ve set eARC off on the LG B9 TV, and started receiving Dolby atmos perfectly !

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

i picked up one of these PERLESMITH Universal TV Stand for my 55C9 - it has adjustable height and easy assembly. they have a larger version for 65” and an even beefier version for up to 70” TVs.

Could you share a picture how this looks like?

From different viewpoints if possible.

sure thing!

front view

left side
back left

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Vyktym, it looks like you're mostly all set. until you subscribe to the UHD tier for netflix you also won't see Atmos. for Prime, try s1, episode 2 of jack ryan. for some reason episode 1 is not in Atmos.

i don't have an ATV4K so not sure of specifics there but everything else appears to be working.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Updated my firmware from the out off the box 3.60 to 3.71 and it has sorted all my issues once I updated the Netflix app. All internal apps are now showing and playing Atmos correctly. The 3.80 update isn’t showing for download on my TV yet and I haven’t got a memory stick but I will probably wait until Sonos sort the LPMC before I upgrade the TB software any further. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

When your TV is off, and you power TV on, how long before you hear sound from Arc?

I have LG series8 (previous model), when I power on takes about 2 seconds before I see a picture on TV, and then another 4 or 5 seconds before I see a green LED flash on Arc and I hear sound from Arc.

I previously had a Playbar connected via optical, and I would hear sound as soon as picture appeared, so I’m curious where the delay is.

TIA!

I’ve done a bit of testing and it seems to be roughly 4-5 seconds between pressing the power button and both the audio and video springing into life together. 

Badge

C9 / Apple TV / Arc

Atmos working on Netflix, but all other 5.1 just shows as stereo 2.0 on Sonos app.

ATV change format off, atmos on

C9 eARC enabled. Digital sound out is Auto.

if I set sound out to pass through I get what appears to be two non speech channels passed to Sonos. Very odd.

What firmware version is your C9?

Currently running 04.80.03

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1591857596

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

None of my TVs (Sony, Panasonic, LG) has ever shown the volume level via ARC. It’s usually just a + or - indicator. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,

Can you possibly share a pic of how your Arc looks in front of the C9? I want to get one but am conscious of the fact it will sit pretty high compared to the low-profile C9 stand… does it look odd at all?

It definitely cuts off a couple of inches on my 65C9. I bought a riser off of AmazonUK but I’ve seen a few people buy Ikea Lack shelves which is a pretty cheap way of doing it. 

As I feared… I have no idea why LG made the stand so low-profile when a great many of the people buying OLEDs are going to be pairing them with sound-bars!

Would you mind sharing a link to the riser you purchased?

i picked up one of these PERLESMITH Universal TV Stand for my 55C9 - it has adjustable height and easy assembly. they have a larger version for 65” and an even beefier version for up to 70” TVs.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Can you possibly share a pic of how your Arc looks in front of the C9? I want to get one but am conscious of the fact it will sit pretty high compared to the low-profile C9 stand… does it look odd at all?

It definitely cuts off a couple of inches on my 65C9. I bought a riser off of AmazonUK but I’ve seen a few people buy Ikea Lack shelves which is a pretty cheap way of doing it. 

As I feared… I have no idea why LG made the stand so low-profile when a great many of the people buying OLEDs are going to be pairing them with sound-bars!

Would you mind sharing a link to the riser you purchased?

Could you share a picture how this looks like?

From different viewpoints if possible.

thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Owners of the LG c9 and who have updated to the newest 4.80.xx update:

Are you still getting atmos from a 4k bluray player?  Does a ps4 still send 5.1 audio in games just fine? Do the WebOS apps send out surround and Atmos fine to the Arc after update? I do not own an Apple TV or any other external streaming box so I am trying to figure out if it is safe to update my TV.  Thanks!

Updated yesterday.

All I have is the internal apps and Roku, but Atmos is correctly delivered on all.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Owners of the LG c9 and who have updated to the newest 4.80.xx update:

Are you still getting atmos from a 4k bluray player?  Does a ps4 still send 5.1 audio in games just fine? Do the WebOS apps send out surround and Atmos fine to the Arc after update? I do not own an Apple TV or any other external streaming box so I am trying to figure out if it is safe to update my TV.  Thanks!

Updated yesterday.

All I have is the internal apps and Roku, but Atmos is correctly delivered on all.

I know it has been one more day, anything negative about the update yet for you ? Thanks.

Nothing negative to report. 

Badge

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Everything (ATV 4, SkyQ, netflix and Amazon Prime with build in Apps, with my LG C9 newest firmware) is working now.

Settings:

LG: Earc on / pass through / all HDMI inputs on bitstream (Arc using HDMI 2)

SkyQ: output HDMI Dolby DIgital +

Apple TV4: Format Atmos on (if no Atmos for your language you have to select Dolby Digital  to get the whole sound)

Netflix/Amazon Prime working with build in apps descriptions Dolby Atmos (DD+) but you need Netflix premium for Atmos

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The only issue noted with my Arc installation relates eARC settings. The LG C9 display has eARC capabilities. If "passthrough” is set to “on” and eARC is also "on” then the audio signal from the xfinity cable box persists on the Arc even after turning off the LG display. Since I don't have a need for eARC in my system, I can turn it off without a problem, but it feels like a bug. The Arc replaced a Beam in my system, and the Beam didn't have this problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks Zophop - I also have a C9 and unfortunately Arc has been held up in delivery so won’t come until tomorrow. Couple of questions:

1. If you stream content through the inbuilt Apple TV app, is it coming through as Atmos or DD 5.1?
  2. Do you have a Sky Q box hooked Up to the Tv and if so, any lip sync type issues?
  3. Odd the Disney + app isn’t coming through as Atmos, will hopefully sort itself out 

Sounds like it’s pretty much play and play for the C9 which is good!

Badge

I have the 65” C9 also. Are there any lipsync issues with the Arc? I never had any with the beam but can see a lot of people get lipsync issues.

Hi,

I’m running an arc with a 65’ C9 with zero lip sync issues.

Bluray/PS4 fine, built in apps (Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, prime) all fine and sky Q fine.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is exactly the same set of gear that I have (except still deciding on the Arc, and a Nintendo Switch). Been chasing lip sync problems for a while with my current soundbar, a Yamaha YSP-2700. 

So a few questions:

1. Are you using a HDMI switch on one of the C9 inputs? And if so, is it introducing any problems with eARC to the Arc?
  2. How bad is the overlap with the insanely low C9 stand?
  3. How does it sound?
  4. Ugh, that Plex issue….

(edit - actually I suspect that the Shield/Plex problem might go away when Arc adds multi-LPCM. I also wonder if the AppleTV Disney+ problem just requires a force close of the app, or an AppleTV reboot).

1. I’m not using an HDMI switch at the moment, but I’ll definitely be picking one up soon so I don’t have to keep swapping cables. If you’ve got a recommendation for a switch I don’t mind picking one up and testing it.
  2. Can’t comment sadly, I’ve got my C9 on the wall precisely to avoid this but I imagine it overlaps by at least an inch.
  3. It’s definitely an upgrade over my Playbar, I’ve not had a chance to watch a full movie on it yet as I’ve been testing various configurations but what I have watched of Blade Runner 2049 has been wonderful.
  4. The Plex issue is disappointing, but luckily it’s not the end of the world. It actually outputs DTS to the Arc however the Sonos app warns that it doesn’t support DTS and plays no audio. I did try rebooting the Apple TV and force closing the Disney+ app but still had the same problem. I imagine the problems due to a combination of the throttling in the EU and the lack of LPCM support on the Arc, when that releases it should in theory work perfectly with the Apple TV.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi guys, new Sonos owner here and I’m having trouble getting Atmos to work consistently.  My ARC + Sub is hooked up to my 2019 LG C9, but I’m not experiencing the same level of success reported by many others.  I can’t seem to find the root cause, so I was hoping for guidance/help.

Apple TV 4K

• Plex: reports DD 5.1 (no Atmos)
  • Netflix: DD 5.1
  • Prime: DD 5.1

Am I missing something? Netflix may be a subscription issue, but I have no idea why Plex isn’t working on the ATV (since it’s working fine via the shield and internal app).  

On Apple TV, go to Settings → video and audio → Audio Format

and set ‘change format’ to off. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

That is bizarre. I just turned earc off set pass through to no and played it. Turned them back on again and i now have atmos..Thanks for testing this for me zophop its much appreciated. So its all working on my B9 if anyone wants anything testing :-)

Brilliant, glad to hear it’s working for you now matey!

Userlevel 3
Badge

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.imore.com/dolby-atmos-support-apple-tv-app-coming-lg-smart-tvs-later-year%3famp

Looks like built in Apple TV app will be getting Atmos support later this year

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

When your TV is off, and you power TV on, how long before you hear sound from Arc?

I have LG series8 (previous model), when I power on takes about 2 seconds before I see a picture on TV, and then another 4 or 5 seconds before I see a green LED flash on Arc and I hear sound from Arc.

I previously had a Playbar connected via optical, and I would hear sound as soon as picture appeared, so I’m curious where the delay is.

TIA!