LG C9 and Sonos Arc

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

134 replies

Thanks. It's a Sony BDP-S6700. I did check the manual and have set BD Audio mixing to off per my interpretation, and some other sites and forums. 

No AV receiver. Blu Ray to HDMI 3 on LG then HDMI Arc with eArc turned on to Sonos. 

All the HDMI inputs are bitstream. 

Blu Ray is specifically Dolby Atmos so nothing I can see there . 

My assumption of course is that the TV can decode. I do have an AV receiver and could hook it up but again didn't think I needed it

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Have you tried the PLEX app from LG content store?

Using the WebOS Plex app when playing TrueHD content only outputs as Dolby Digital 5.1 sadly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey all, my Arc was delivered this morning and I've had a chance to hook it up to my LG C9 directly via eARC and ran a few tests regarding Atmos and other features.

If there's anything else I can test or any questions, let me know

thanks for your feedback, I’m tempted to get one of those bars for my C9 too.

problem I had with Sonos one was that the TV wouldn’t show the volume level/number when connected to the soundbar... could you let me kindly know if that’s the case with this one too?

thanks!

Daniel 

There seems to be a huge amount of confusion centered around the Sonos arc and dolby atmos compatibility.  I recently purchased and arc and sub gen 3. I have an older Samsung TV (2016) that doesn’t have an eARC connection. I figured I’d be able to get a lossy version of Dolby Surround with atmos, but no such luck. I’ve been unable to get the atmos to fire on any system (if there is a fix, please let me know).

I’m thinking of purchasing an LG C9, but wanted to confirm with the community before I pull the trigger.

My setup will mainly get content through an external Apple TV 4K running into the eARC. Will I be able to get Atmos functionality through the AppleTVs Netflix, Prime, and iTunes movie apps?

There seems to be so many different answers, so if anyone can coalesce these answers - It would be greatly appreciated!

The universal fix looks to be this device:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

It’s only on preorder right now, but the company appears to have a pretty good track record of providing quality products.  

My opinion on this would be to play around with your TVs audio config, and your sources to see if it works.  If you have older HDMI cables, maybe get updated ones to make sure they are HDMI 2.0.  If that fails then get the LG C9 if you want it for the picture quality. Don’t buy a TV for it’s ability to process audio.  Get this arcana product instead.

Badge

Yes that's the way hdmi arc works. You can only see a volume + or - appear on screen. You can see the volume amount on the sonos app.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

sorry, i didn't mean to confuse the issue of the AV receiver - just wanted to include that line since its the full portion of the troubleshooting note. the main point was for disabling any secondary audio that might include formats that aren't dolby (i.e. DTS).

a receiver would just add a new device to the puzzle.

this sounds like a question for sony tech support.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes that's the way hdmi arc works. You can only see a volume + or - appear on screen. You can see the volume amount on the sonos app.

I was hoping that Arc using HDMI 2.1 and all would be able to communicate volume with the TV… somehow Samsung TVs from what I understand don’t have that issue?

Dan

I've go an lg b9 and when I play something that is Atmos it shows on the tv as playing Dolby vision and then in the sonos app it shows dd+ I don't think that is Dolby Atmos is it?. If I unplug the arc and play the same Netflix prog through the tv speakers it says Dolby vision and underneath Dolby atmos

Atmos is audio format and Dolby Vision is picture quality, they operate independent or together depending on the content….

Userlevel 3
Badge

All working well with LG C9 and Arc...TV is a prompting me to Upgrade firmware to 04.80.03. Am I right in saying I should avoid doing this until Sonos patch in multi LPCM support, Apple TV currently outputs Atmosand 5.1 with no issues