If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I've been living with lip sync issues (audio behind the video) since I got my Playbar about a year ago but I finally decided to do something about it. After multiple conversations with Sonos support and the LG's support people (they kept blaming each other for the audio delay), I decided to email Sonos' CEO about the issue.

After a few hours, I got a reply back from him, CCing a team manager who was going to look into the issue. We scheduled a call and he had me send various diagnostics to him. He said that the engineering team was going to investigate and get back to me.

A week later, I got an update. He told that they are still working on the issue. He also said that only one other person had reported the same issue (I assume that means that only one other person with an LG TV). So, if you're having audio delay issues and you've tried all other troubleshooting, reach out to Sonos support and have them look into it. If it helps you might mention my reference number, which has already been escalated:

Keep in mind that my setup is pretty straight forward (LG C6 OLED TV connected directly to the Playbar via Optical, audio playing from the built-in apps) and every single thing LG and Sonos suggested, including going into the TV's service menu and changing things there.

I know there are multiple post on the topic so hopefully we can solve at least some of the issues causing audio delay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I guess it might be. I’m not sure what hdmi devices you are using where you are claiming there is no audio delay through the lg tv with the sonos system.

If you are using an xbox one or ps4 pro with bitstream out (dolby digital) then I’m extremely interested and will rush home and retest.

Last I tried that didn’t fix it for me...

I was just testing with cable tv (it's an xfinitiy box). Wondering if anyone else is able to try this setting?

I do have a blu ray player as well (LG) - I can't recall if I tested that with the LG Sync Option. I'll check this tonight.

Additionally, just got an email and my Play 1 speakers may be arriving today. Once I have them configured as my rear speakers, I'll be curious if 5.1 is produced with the LG Sync Option selected.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
DTS Play-Fi now does TV streaming
The multiroom system now lets you stream audio in sync with your TV.

https://www.cnet.com/news/dts-play-fi-now-does-tv-streaming/
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just hooked up my two Sonos 1 rears & tested out a few cable channels (as previously mentioned, I have an xfinity box). I do get surround sound with the option LG Sync enabled - no audio delay - but it only outputs in Stereo.

Switching over to Audio Out (Optical, Digital: auto), Sonos outputs in DD 5.1 - but I get the subtle audio delay of death.

Kind of what I expected.... Oh well. Frustration continues... Here's to hoping LG will have a fix.
Userlevel 1
Badge
FWIW, I bought a splitter and am now going directly from Sonos to each device. This did resolve the sync issue & everything is working great. I don't think relying on a 3rd party is acceptable, but is what it is I suppose....
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks for writing up your findings in this thread. I'm also seeing audio delay issues, which are exacerbated by the fact that I just added surround speakers to my setup.

Config:
LG C7
SONOS Playbase
Sonos One x2 (surround)

Inputs:
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K
PS4 Pro
Nintendo Switch

My findings are that if I configure the inputs to use Stereo only, there is no delay. However, if I switch to Dolby Digital, then I start seeing audio sync issues.

I'm currently testing having the Xbox plugged directly into the SONOS. I can't currently perceive any difference between Surround and Dolby Digital when bypassing the TV, so it does suggest that the TV is munging with the audio stream when it's being sent in anything other than Stereo. Is the packet encoding on the wire that much more with surround that it causes a delay?
I have the same problem with the same television. Very frustrating ?
Badge
I have the same issue using the PLAYBASE + SUB, both on wired Ethernet, using the LG OLED65E7P TV. No amount of adjusting A/V sync settings on the TV or the SONOS app have resolved the issue. I can get close to great A/V sync as long as each output device is set to stereo only. That sucks, but at least it’s watchable.

I’ll keep monitoring this thread for a fix, and I’ll contact LG and SONOS again. It’s really disappointing to experience this with such otherwise great (and expensive) equipment.
Badge
FWIW, I bought a splitter and am now going directly from Sonos to each device. This did resolve the sync issue & everything is working great. I don't think relying on a 3rd party is acceptable, but is what it is I suppose....

Which model of splitter did you use? Does it extract audio from HDMI or just split optical signals? Thanks!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hey guys,

Same here Im afraid. Just purchased a week ago :
LG B7
SONOS Playbase

...Delighted by the display but really disappointed by the Lip Sync.
I especially purchased a Playbase as my 2 Play 5 Gen 2 suffered (as expected) of bad audio delay.

I tried all fixes that I read online and here on particular but I can't seem to fix it.
This ruins my overall excitement to have acquired such great piece of hardwares.

I was on the market to invest in 2 more play 1 + Sub to complete my 5.1 equipment but I won't go ahead until this is fixed. To be fair I feel a bit of a fool now that I ditch over 2,500 Euros !

I will contact both Sonos and LG Support Team but reading your previous feedback I am not overly optimistic.

N.
Badge
Hi to all, same problem here even with the newest LG firmware.
OLED55C7V with 04.70.65 just updated two days ago.

The german LG support says they don't know anything about audio delays ... funny, mailed them a lot of forum-links.

I use a Ligawo 3080026 HDMI HDR Switch to solve the problem, but i would love to not have to use this additional peace of hardware.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XTPQP4B/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item
Userlevel 2
FWIW, I'm having the same issue. Have only really noticed it while playing a game on my Xbox One. When I play with headphones, everything is in perfect sync. When I play over the Sonos system, everything has a delay. After some searching, I was hoping to find a solution here, but no such luck. 😞
so excited to finally set up my system, but so disappointed in the sync as listed above, I wish I would have known about this. I'll call LG, but this seems crazy that this isn't fixed yet. What else do we need to do???

Sync Issue with:
LG OLED65B7A
SONOS PlayBar and SUB
Connections: Apple TV 4K > HDMI > LG > Optical > Playbar
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I just called LG about this, and their VIP support told me that the engineering team is still aware of the issue and is investigating. They could not provide me with an ETA on the fix, unfortunately.

Also, in playing with settings, I found that turning on A/V Sync Delay, then setting it to 'Bypass' significantly improved the sync. It's now barely noticeable, which is an enormous improvement on what I was observing before.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have found a partial solution to the audio sync issue for my lg c7 and playbar. I have set all device audio ( roku,Verizon set up box ) to Sterio. I also set audio sync on and tv with bypass on. It seems to solve lip sync problem but not optimum I hope LG really solves problem
Userlevel 1
Badge
I also chatted with LG and received the same standard answer that I read in the forum - known problem- engineers looking at it - no ETA- also frustrated and wonder whether LG is actively trying to solve issue
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
You need a HDMI splitter with audio out such as a viewhd box from amazon. If you have a harmony remote you can give everything to switch correctly automatcially, or LG could address the issue. Better still sonos should get with the modern age and use HDMI for audio, ridiculous
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Redesign the SONOS playbar/playbase to use HDMI passthrough so embedded audio stays synced.
I have the same issue. Philips 55POS9002 OLED TV, Playbase and two Play 5's as surround. With the TV outputting DD 2.0 I have terrible lip sync issues. Switching TV to output Stereo improves the issue but it is not perfect.

Looking forward to someone taking the issue seriously.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is either a sonos issue or tv manufacturer issue. I suggest , if you have not done so, contact support. We all want this issue resolved
I have the same audio delay issue! The video on my tv is ahead of the audio on my Sonos Playbar, so frustrating and seemingly can't be fixed because I can't delay the video. The optical out on my tv is connected directly to the Sonos playbar. My tv is a Sony XBR65X850c
I setup my Xbox One S yesterday with the optical out directly the the Playbar with the hopes of avoiding audio going through the TV altogether. It is definitely and improvement but I still had to turn the TV audio sync on with the bypass mode enabled. It is now close enough to not be distracting, but still not perfect. And if I want to chromecast something or watch something on an app that Xbox doesnt have, I am stuck swapping optical cables which is really annoying. Hoping that someday this gains traction. Sonos stopped responding to my ticket in December.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I have an oled c7 with the playbase 5.1 setup and i have this terrible lag problem. I also have ks9000 that i had previously setup with the playbase 5.1 setup and guess what, same problem. All sonos keep saying its the tv. Really?!?!
LG C7 user here. Bypass is better than any of the delay settings for me. Obnoxious. TG for the 45 day return window.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a Verizon Fios 1100 (arris) STB box. The only way I can mostly eliminate lip sync is to change audio to stereo on the STB box. For my other devices Roku, blue ray player bypass appears to minimize issue I also will keep my LG C7. But wish LG, Verizon,Sonos could fix the issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Quick update: The team is aware of an issue with LG OLED and Sony XBR TV's using Dolby Digital and lip sync. It'd take a firmware update to fix it on the TV's side of things, but we have no word on that. This can be further tested and verified by changing the audio from Dolby Digital to PCM (Stereo) or by testing the audio with another optical audio source such as your cable box. Thank you for your patience on this so far.