If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Same issue exists with the new LG OLED65C8PUA. I used an optical splitter, and this seems to fix the issue. As an added note, for those of you with a PS4/Pro that watch Blu-Ray movies, if you are only getting stereo, use the optical output (only reason I had the splitter) to have your PS4/Pro output 5.1

How did this fix the issue for you? I have an LG OLEDC7 and bypass it completely with an optical splitter but I still get delay with DD 5.1 on Xbox, PS4, and Directv, none with PCM. This has to be an issue with the playbase processing DD 5.1.
I just spoke to the LG VIP support representative She indicated that the firmware update to resolve the lip sync issue is scheduled to be released this Friday ( it may take a few weeks to be available to all consumers )- a hopeful development -

Has this worked for anyone? I am currently bypassing my LG TV completely with the sound but can give it a shot if the update has been released.
I honestly think the issues lies inside the PlayBar when Dolby 5.1 is being used, the PlayBar must be doing some type of processing causing an audio delay. Nothing we can do besides never use Dolby 5.1 OR use an HDMI audio extractor so the PlayBar gets the Audio before the TV even processes the image but then you'll have to constantly change the audio delay based on 5.1 or 2ch.

I have come to the same conclusion, I don't think it is the LG TVs, I still get delay on all of me devices when I bypass the TV completely and individually connect each device to the playbase with no splitters or interruptions. This is a sonos issue 100%. I even connected my old Vizio soundbar instead of the playbase and had zero delay with DD 5.1.
I have the same problem with a recently purchased LG OLED55B7V. Audio is delayed on dolby digital signals but fine with stereo PCM.

For me it's 100% the TV that is the problem.

I've tried audio direct from V6 box to Sonos Playbar, and sync is perfect.
I've also tried V6 to HDMI-splitter-with-optical-out, then from there HDMI to TV and optical to playbar and again sync is perfect.

But taking optical out from the TV delays dolby digital signals. Quite unbelievable that LG would ship such an expensive TV with such a serious defect.

Firmware version is 04.70.85 which is the latest right now.
I have the same problem with a recently purchased LG OLED55B7V. Audio is delayed on dolby digital signals but fine with stereo PCM.

I've also tried V6 to HDMI-splitter-with-optical-out, then from there HDMI to TV and optical to playbar and again sync is perfect.

But taking optical out from the TV delays dolby digital signals. Quite unbelievable that LG would ship such an expensive TV with such a serious defect.

Just an update after speaking to LG tech support. They acknowledged the existence of the issue and even conceded that it's due to the delay resulting from processing the dolby signal. However told me there was "nothing they could do" and didn't consider it a defect, but a "compatibility issue". And they have no plans to address it (that they were willing to share with me anyway).

Clearly it is a defect and quite a bad one for anyone needing an optical out.
Very disappointed in LG, just as well I only paid £1449 for the TV and not the £3000 it was this time last year.
For that reason only, I can put up with using an optical splitter, just bought a 3-in-1-out splitter from amazon along with a couple of optical cables - £24 total. It's USB powered with remote control, so assuming it works it's an acceptable workaround.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Just an update after speaking to LG tech support. They acknowledged the existence of the issue and even conceded that it's due to the delay resulting from processing the dolby signal. However told me there was "nothing they could do" and didn't consider it a defect, but a "compatibility issue". And they have no plans to address it (that they were willing to share with me anyway).

Clearly it is a defect and quite a bad one for anyone needing an optical out.
Very disappointed in LG, just as well I only paid £1449 for the TV and not the £3000 it was this time last year.
For that reason only, I can put up with using an optical splitter, just bought a 3-in-1-out splitter from amazon along with a couple of optical cables - £24 total. It's USB powered with remote control, so assuming it works it's an acceptable workaround.

The optical splitter will work and it can be programmed into a Logitech Harmony remote to make the experience seamless.

The problem is still that any HDMI device you may have which doesn’t have a dedicated optical out will not be fixed.

I’ve switch to using the built in Netflix and Amazon Video apps, I use a PS4 and Virgin V6 direct to optical. It’s just my Nvidia Shield which I only use for Kodi which suffers. Luckily Kodi has an audio sync feature.

The optical splitter will work and it can be programmed into a Logitech Harmony remote to make the experience seamless.

The problem is still that any HDMI device you may have which doesn’t have a dedicated optical out will not be fixed.

I’ve switch to using the built in Netflix and Amazon Video apps, I use a PS4 and Virgin V6 direct to optical. It’s just my Nvidia Shield which I only use for Kodi which suffers. Luckily Kodi has an audio sync feature.

Thanks, I also have a media PC with Kodi, but as you say the Kodi setting can take care of that.
I'm glad to hear of someone else in the same boat as there aren't too many complaints against the exact model of TV as mine.

Or is everyone just suffering in silence, having bought their splitters and since moved on? :?
Hi,

I just purchased a LG OLED 55 B7V, a Sonos Playbase + Sub + 2x Play one because there was a pretty good offer in a local store. Now I just stumbled over this lip sync issue and it seems that there won't be a solution to this soon. Is it really that bad? I couldn't find any videos where the issue was noticeable. I would like to connect a BR player and a nvidia shield to the TV. What would you guys suggest? Returne the order, wait for a fix, purchase another TV or purchase another 5.1 System? I don't really get the thing about an optical audio splitter mentioned in this thred before. Would be great if somebody could explain it to me.

Thanks and BR
Userlevel 1
Badge
The easiest solution is to change your settings to PCM/STERIO on cable box and other devices. This will eliminate lip sync issues but you lose Dolby unfortunately Hope that helps
Hi Bigmanibids,

thanks for your fast reply but buying a pricey 5.1 system just to listen in stereo when watching all my blurays doesn't sound like a "solution" to me ;)

BR
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

I just purchased a LG OLED 55 B7V, a Sonos Playbase + Sub + 2x Play one because there was a pretty good offer in a local store. Now I just stumbled over this lip sync issue and it seems that there won't be a solution to this soon. Is it really that bad? I couldn't find any videos where the issue was noticeable. I would like to connect a BR player and a nvidia shield to the TV. What would you guys suggest? Returne the order, wait for a fix, purchase another TV or purchase another 5.1 System? I don't really get the thing about an optical audio splitter mentioned in this thred before. Would be great if somebody could explain it to me.

Thanks and BR

The other option mentioned is to have an optical cable from each media source connected to a splitter which then outputs to the Playbar. (e.g. I output my audio from my Sky Q box to the Playbar rather than from my TV) This will bypass the TV for audio signals to the PlayBar.

Edit

The limitation with this option however is that built in apps on the TV won't work.
Hi,

Thanks and BR

The other option mentioned is to have an optical cable from each media source connected to a splitter which then outputs to the Playbar. (e.g. I output my audio from my Sky Q box to the Playbar rather than from my TV) This will bypass the TV for audio signals to the PlayBar.

Edit

The limitation with this option however is that built in apps on the TV won't work.

Not so, I've now got my splitter in place and Netflix App on the TV plays perfectly going from optical out of the TV -> Splitter -> Playbar.
It was fine direct from TV to playbar via optical and adding the splitter adds no further delay.

So I think this is a good workaround.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

Thanks and BR

Edit

Not so, I've now got my splitter in place and Netflix App on the TV plays perfectly going from optical out of the TV -> Splitter -> Playbar.
It was fine direct from TV to playbar via optical and adding the splitter adds no further delay.

Okay, I wasn't considering a TV optical link when I wrote my reply to avoid the lip sync issues but if the TV output is also connected to the splitter then the Apps will work but perhaps with lip sync delays.
Hi,

Thanks and BR

Edit

Okay, I wasn't considering a TV optical link when I wrote my reply to avoid the lip sync issues but if the TV output is also connected to the splitter then the Apps will work but perhaps with lip sync delays.

Nope, it's perfect, thankfully! 😳
Is the hdmi arc on the beam going to help with these issues? Considering buying a b7 with beam 5.1 (2x ones and a sub) but am pretty hesitant after reading this thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Is the hdmi arc on the beam going to help with these issues? Considering buying a b7 with beam 5.1 (2x ones and a sub) but am pretty hesitant after reading this thread.

I doubt it will change anything. It’s pretty much been confirmed that it is a TV issue. For some reason the TV’s can’t process the 5.1 pass through from a HDMI source. Remember it’s only an issue on devices that can’t use a dedicated optical. You could try it out... Sonos has a 100 day return policy if it’s a problem for you.
Badge
Hi,
I’m experiencing similar audio delay issues with an LG OLED55B7V and a Playbar with external sources. I’ve contacted LG who are sending an engineer to replace the main board. I’m sceptical as to whether it will do any good, but let’s see. Otherwise may look at returning the TV, as I’m convinced it’s not the Playbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,
I’m experiencing similar audio delay issues with an LG OLED55B7V and a Playbar with external sources. I’ve contacted LG who are sending an engineer to replace the main board. I’m sceptical as to whether it will do any good, but let’s see. Otherwise may look at returning the TV, as I’m convinced it’s not the Playbar.

What is the source of the input to the TV? If it a Sky or Cable box that has an Optical output, can you please test with the optical connection to the Source rather than the TV?
Badge
The sources are either a Humax Freesat box, or a Blu Ray player, both set to multi-channel audio. I haven’t tried straight optical to the tv yet, but can confirm that tv sourced audio (Freesat or streamed) is perfectly in sync and delivers 5.1 when available. I’ll try direct connection from Blu Ray soon and let you know.
Possible solution:

Go to advanced settings - go to Audio Compression and set it to automatic
Badge
The setting is already on automatic. I should also make it clear that my previous tv had no issues in this setup, and the Playbar did not suffer from any audio delay.
The audio delay when connected directly to my LG OLED TV is almost unbearable. I know this is a common problem. Does anyone with an LG not experience this?
Sonos, can you please help us?
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
I noticed this annoying lip sync issue with my LG C7 OLED while watching using my Foxtel Box (Australian Cable TV) and my PS4 Pro, however my Apple TV 4K seems fine with Dolby 5.1 forced in settings.

I guess an optical splitter is the way to go with the PS4 Pro and Foxtel, however this issue is incredibly disappointing for such expensive equipment.

Does anyone know of an Optical switch which will work with Harmony?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I noticed this annoying lip sync issue with my LG C7 OLED while watching using my Foxtel Box (Australian Cable TV) and my PS4 Pro, however my Apple TV 4K seems fine with Dolby 5.1 forced in settings.

I guess an optical splitter is the way to go with the PS4 Pro and Foxtel, however this issue is incredibly disappointing for such expensive equipment.

Does anyone know of an Optical switch which will work with Harmony?

Here you go...

Portta 4 Port 4x1 SPDIF/Toslink Digital Optical Audio Switch/Switcher with IR Remote https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A89OEUY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TVHjBbMBPMZCJ
Badge
I can confirm that direct optical connection from the STB or Blu Ray player produces no lag and is perfectly in sync for multi channel audio. I’ll update you after the service team come and replace the main board on the TV tomorrow. 😞