Buzzing sound Beam

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Had beam for over a year worked perfectly. Update to S2 buzzing started. Same tv, hdmi, router … only change was app. Fix it Sonos your rep is on the line.

Sonos Beam is buzzing out of the left front speaker. I first had this happen a week ago, and I thought it was the HDMI cable from the tv to the speaker. I ruled out the speaker as it was working with Sirius XM/Amazon music when not using the HDMI cable. I changed out the cable and it started working with no buzzing for about two days. This morning, it started buzzing again. There is a problem with the Sonos 2 Application or the speaker. There are multiple people on your community forum with the same problem. I also tried the factory reset, it did not work. I’ve had no issues until this new application. Please fix the problem. 

Badge

Same issue with my Sonos Beam. I updated to S2 two weeks ago. I noticed it while painting and listening to YouTube through the Beam. The buzzing noise doesn't happen when streaming Netflix.

Beam still on S1 here and having a similar problem. High pitched buzz continuous when TV is feeding audio via HDMI ARC. Spotify audio fine. Same issue after power cycling screen. Reseating HDMI cable results in same problem. Temporarily resolved by power cycling Beam. Had it at least 3 times over the last month. 

Same problem here.

Had it even before S2.

Today our TV had a update, and the problem came. rebooted the Beam and it helped for about one hour, then it was back again.

Switching from auto to PCM as suggested did not solve it, but made the sound much higher pitch (very unpleasant!).

The TV is a LG OLED. Seems there is many with those. Anyone experienced this on non LG tv’s?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @MortenVinding.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as a remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi @MortenVinding.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as a remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks Mark but I seriously doubt they can help me with this, as it’s exactly the same problem as everybody else here.

Problem persisted tonight so I made two diagnostics before restarting the Beam

TV set on “Auto”:

TV on PCM:

As said the noise is on both settings, but it higher pitch in PCM.

Unpluging and repluging the HDMI cable changes nothing, only rebooting the Sonos does.

Btw: is there a way to remotely reboot a Sonos device? I’m tired of having to unplug and replug 😏

😕

Just tried to switch to optical using the supplied adapter, same problem.

Did not try rebooting the Beam, my wife’s patience was running out 🤬

Same problem with the buzzing issue on the Sonos Beam.  I have done All the troubleshooting techniques. (Plenty of resets, tried different HDMI cables, tried optical.)  It always keeps coming back.   Sonos support diagnostics show nothing wrong, even though it’s clearly there.  Very frustrating 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @kasabeHT @MortenVinding.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

I have the same issue - I’ll try and do the factory reset to see if it works.

A couple of things I did not see mentioned here:

1. The buzzing sounds only when there’s sound coming from the TV
  2. My TV has 2 output options: “PCM” and “Auto” (i.e. what the source format is). I normally have it set to Auto since PCM means stereo sound, and I get the buzzing - even if the source is PCM!
  3. If I set my TV to output PCM and not the source format, it stops buzzing completely, but as soon as I return to Auto, it starts buzzing again.
  4. After power cycling the Beam, it seemed to have worked for a while.

I have a Samsung 49" Q6F and just started having this issue after the S2 update as well. Did a reset and it started again within hours. Went into the TV Sound settings and under 'advanced options' I was able to change the output format from PCM to Dolby Digital and that seems to have fixed the issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @senolan16.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and sharing your knowledge to fix this issue some users will find this very helpful.

I too have experienced this buzzing issue about 10 times since the s2 update. It is resolved by fully power cycling the beam which is really annoying and inconvenient. I’ve also performed a full reset but after a few days the issue comes back. One thing I have noticed is it is most likely to happen when using my Samsung TV’s built in YouTube app. When using other external devices - Nvidia shield etc, the problem does not present itself at all. This is clearly a really common issue judging by posts here and elsewhere. I hope Sonos can fix it as my experience up to now has been excellent. this has given me a reason to doubt their reliability for the first time. Diagnostic - 1868961579

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @beaker1977.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community and providing a diagnostic report since this issue is really annoying let me try to help you out.

First, can you try to enable the wifi connection to your Sonos beam?

Next try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in.

Thanks Mark. I’ve followed your advice and enabled wifi on the beam, unplugged all my Sonos devices, rebooted my router and plugged everything back in when the router was back online. If the problem re-emerges I’ll let you know but so far, so good.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @beaker1977.

Glad we can help.

Up to now the fix above (enabling wifi on the beam) appeared to have worked but unfortunately a week later the buzzing started back again.

I was using my Samsung TV’s YouTube app at the time. A power cycle resolved the problem but I don’t think this issue is completely resolved just yet.

My TV is a Samsung UE49MU7000. (Diagnostic - 760168829)

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @beaker1977.

Upon checking on the second diagnostic you submitted theirs no issue showing, so my guess is there might be a defect in the soundbar.

Since this is a recurring issue, I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more.

I just ran into this same issue. However I didn’t try Spotify, all my media apps would buzz once the audio signal was being received from the tv to the Beam through via HDMI ARC. I didn’t try Spotify, but ended unplugging/plugging my Beam and that seems to solve it for now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I had this problem as well on dolby digital audio with tv.

It seems that a beam reboot solved it.

Let's see.

I have the same issue. Did a factory reset and it worked only for 2 days and the humming noise is back. Called customer service and they ask me to try another hdmi cable/optical connector /another TV. All led to the same situation,buzzing noise returns after 1 or 2 days. 

Totally frustrating. 

Turned of TV auto play in Sonos app . This stopped the buzzing

I have the same issue… noticed this a few times buzzing in one of the slides of the BEAM… only solution was to power cycle the sonos but it comes back… I have a samsung TV 43UE7125 connected via HDMI ARC, I have 2 Sonos One and all Sonos are the lan with no wifi…

so what is the solution to this ?

Same Issue here. It's very annoying!

Buzzing sound when playing TV, or gaming console in HDMI. Everything seems ok when playing Netflix. TV Samsung QE55Q6FN

Sonos beam + sub

Diagnostic number 152400621

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Jeremy75 and @pioroman.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me try to assist you.

Since the issue still continues and you've done everything, You need to contact again the phone support agents for them to see if this can be replaced or not?