Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

750 replies

Badge

@Kyle A thanks for pulling the responses to various people together in one post.

Glad to hear Sonos are working on it, which is pretty much what was mentioned in my call to the help line, when I was told in the meantime to keep rebooting my TV - they did specifically mention that it was an issue with the TV manufacturer (Samsung) who may be slow to respond.

Reading these posts over the last couple of months it sounds the other way round, ie it seems to be an issue with quite a few TV manufacturer's, based on that the Arc seems to be the common denominator and would say that is the area the focus needs to be on - if I had read these posts before my purchase it would have definitely put me off this purchase.

I’m having the same issue here. Arc+sub+ones connected to Samsung tu8000 earc HDMI. unplugging does fixes the problem.

submitted a diagnostic no 1686438401 if anybody wanna look into that. cheers 

I have an LG c9 OLED tv, an ARC, sub (gen 3), and 2 Sonos one SLs. I have been experiencing exactly the same problems as referred to above, i.e. recurrent cut-outs of sound from all Sonos speakers lasting perhaps 10-15secs with reversion of sound to tv internal speakers. Sound returns after a message appears on the tv saying that the HDMI connection is available. Sound cut out does not occur if I play music rather than watch the tv. If I disable the Wifi on the ARC, the sub and Ones do not work but the cut outs do not occur on watching tv channels. The Arc is connected to the internet using a ethernet connection via a Netgear Powerline av500. All speakers registered that they were using the Sonosnet and the matrix showed excellent connections and no interference. The problem was solved by adding another ethernet connection, this time to one of the One SLs (again using a Powerline av500). Since doing that I have not experienced any drop-outs. It is possible that it is still early days - 24 hours since I made the change - but this is still the longest I have gone without dropouts on Netflix, AppleTV and Sky. Previously dropout occurred frequently on all these channels. 

I would be really grateful if someone could explain what has happened here and why the second ethernet connection seems to have solved the problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @m.zai and @TonyH2, welcome to the community. @PSD 58, sorry for the late response.

@PSD 58, yes, there’s other models of TVs from other manufacturers other than Samsung.

However, there’s currently a log sheet for other TVs and to properly document them; our phone support should log the TV model.

@m.zai,  I checked the Diagnostic, same error logs from the other diagnostics. This is the Bug that is currently under investigation.

We’ll inform everyone once we have more information to share. For now, rebooting by unplugging is the only workaround.

@TonyH2, as of now, we don’t have information on what causes the bug. I would like you to monitor this, as this Bug is between the TV and Sonos Arc connection; not the Network connection.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Thanks Kyle, still no cut outs, which is a striking change in performance, but I will report again after a more significant time period. What puzzles me is that, if it is not a network issue, why did the Arc work without cut outs when I disabled the Arc wifi (losing, however, the sound from the sub and the one SLs)?

Do you have a good reference for a description of how the sonosnet works? I am unclear as to the function of the router connection when the sonosnet is in operation.

Badge +1

Hi,

I have an LG OLED65C97LA, the Sonos Arc, a gen. 2 Sub and two Symfonisk for the rear speakers.

Sonos firmware Version: 12.0.5

LG C9 firmware version: 04.71.25

Nvidia Shield TV firmware version: 8.2

I don‘t have any drop outs since the first day. My LG is mounted to the wall. So I never installed the orginal LG sound system integrated into the table stand.

I don‘t use any internal app from the LG nor the TV tuner. All my media is played by my Nvidia Shield TVs.

I didn‘t update the LG firmware to the latest version because of the Arc’a LPCM-/Stereo-Problem.

Maybe this information helps other people.

Best regards hoppel

Experienced the same issue for the first time today. All the connected equipment’s software was up to date. So it was clearly annoying yet crucially very disappointing, especially because the fix was an antiquated PC support style system restart.

If it’s software, I do hope it’s fixed in the next update.

If it’s hardware, they must recall the affected units.

Meanwhile, the second sonos arc purchase is on hold.

I am having the same issue about once a week. Only way to fix is to unplug. 

Hello I have the same issue with my Sony Bravia KD65-AG9 and Sonos ARC, sub gen3 and one SL. After a while the sound is completely gone.  The confirmation number is 473376495

Hi all,

Here the same issue Sonos arc + Samsung the frame. Only way to fix is to unplug and plug. 

Don’t expect this from a device That expensive. 

hope there will be a fix asap

rgds daniel

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

I had the same issue, just switched off the Dolby Atmos on the TV sound settings and back on again and it seemed to resolve the issue

I have the same issue, only started happening in the last month. 

Sonos Arc regularly doesn’t switch on automatically when the tv is turned on, and more recently constantly cuts in and out. I have to power cycle the Arc every time I turn the TV on.

I have a 2020 model Samsung Q95T 4K QLED Smart TV, with the Sonos Arc connected.

Not really impressed with the behavior, it didn’t do this when I first installed it.

Badge

I have a similar issue with a twist.  LG OLED65CX, Sonos Amp (new Version) x 2, Sonos Sub - HDMI2 ARC, Humax FVP-4000T PVR - HDMI1. When Humax is powered ON the Sonos works like a dream, Humax to Standby, the TV jumps from HDMI ARC to Internal Speakers.  Various timings from once an hour to every few minutes. Solution, only watch the TV with the Humax always ON. 

Now the twist, added Bluetooth headphones - Detected by the TV but when selected as primary sound out, the TV immediately returns to HDMI ARC (Sonos Amps) and will not stay on the selected Bluetooth option!  I presented the problem to my TV supplier and they setup the same system in their showroom with exactly the same results.  They then changed the TV to a Sony - same problem.  They then changed the sound-bar (not a Sonos) and everything worked perfectly.  So over to you Sonos, the problem is certainly yours as my excellent team at my retailer have proved conclusively.  

I am delaying purchasing the arc and a new LG oled TV because of this issue. 

I did a little research. A user in a sonos reddit.com forum wrote:

“Had a similar issue though it was more like once every episode, so like every 50 minutes I guess. Had a feeling it was due to the voice command or touch buttons being activated by vibrations due to the placement (temporarily slightly inside a cabinet before I wall mount my tv) because I noticed the light would flick on when the audio dropped. I turned off both the voice and touch commands in the app and the issue was resolved.”

“Same here.. All I did was turn off the mic and it didn’t occur again. Tested a few times with the mic and it only happened when the mic is on.”

Will someone on this thread experiencing the sound cutting out try this suggestion and report the result?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

&

I am delaying purchasing the arc and a new LG oled TV because of this issue. 

I did a little research. A user in a sonos reddit.com forum wrote:

“Had a similar issue though it was more like once every episode, so like every 50 minutes I guess. Had a feeling it was due to the voice command or touch buttons being activated by vibrations due to the placement (temporarily slightly inside a cabinet before I wall mount my tv) because I noticed the light would flick on when the audio dropped. I turned off both the voice and touch commands in the app and the issue was resolved.”

“Same here.. All I did was turn off the mic and it didn’t occur again. Tested a few times with the mic and it only happened when the mic is on.”

Will someone on this thread experiencing the sound cutting out try this suggestion and report the result?

This is not the solution or fix. To many people having the issue and like me, don’t use the voice or touch commands.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I don’t know if it’s SONOS or the tv manufacturers, just wish they’d get this crap straightened out. It’s getting old! 

My living room setup: Samsung 75” Q80T, Sonos Arc, 2x Sonos One, Sonos Sub 3
Bedroom setup: Samsung 55” Q70T, Sonos Arc, 2x Sonos One, Sonos Sub 3

Bedroom has the eARC dropping issue which is exhibited by the sound coming and going from the Sonos devices during which time changing the volume displays the TV speaker volume changing rather than the ARC.

But the living room is functioning perfectly, configured identically with only the TV slightly different. Thinking the issue was the bedroom TV, I exchanged it for another of the same. 

The solution in the bedroom is unplugging all HDMI cables, and plugging them back in starting with the Arc.

It THINK this is the same issue being discussed here, but I wonder.

&

This is not the solution or fix. To many people having the issue and like me, don’t use the voice or touch commands.

Are all SONOS arc users having this issue of the sound cutting out or is it a subset of users having this issue?

I have a Samsung 8K TV with Arc connection. Experiencing the same issue with sound cutting out when the TV is first turned on. Unplugging  works  temporarily  but problem does come back the next time the TV is turned on after it has been turned off for a while. Diagnostic  # is 392179145

Hi all,

Here the same issue Sonos arc + Samsung the frame. Only way to fix is to unplug and plug. 

Don’t expect this from a device That expensive. 

hope there will be a fix asap

rgds daniel

Recently purchased the arc and sub to replace a Sony system… awesome when it works, but having the same issue 😔. On the 2020 Samsung Frame 65” with SONOS Arc and Sub. Hope there is an update soon.

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Arc and Sub (Sofware Version 12.0.5) to go with my 2020 Samsung Frame 65” (TV Software Version: T-NKMAKUC-1301.5). Connected by eARC HDMI.
I read most of this thread and am experiencing the same issue of intermittent sound cutting in and out for about one second on, one second off. 

Unplugging and pluggin back in does resolve for at least the current sitting, but starts back up again eventually. 

What other numbers can I give you to help? I’m not sure where to find the diagnostic number. Thanks for your dedication to solving this!

Badge

I had experienced the issue with my 2020 Samsung QLED 55" 90T TV connected to a Virgin V6 box, as previous post Sonos helpline advice was to keep unplugging TV to reset until Sonos could resolve and send in diagnostics if frequency became an issue.

Current update is I've had a week of no issues but don't know why, as I have not changed anything physically such as cables etc.

However I have changed between various sources available, from streaming music from iPad, streaming sonos radio from android mobile, physically connecting my laptop to TV, watching Samsung internet TV and channels from my Virgin V6 box.

Will post again if issue returns.

Add me to the list. Samsung Frame 65. Arc cuts out every second or so if the TV has been off for a while. Unplugging and plugging the power back into the Arc resolves the issue until the next time the TV sits off for a while.

Wholly unacceptable for a full home theater setup (Arc, Sub, One SL (Pair) surrounds). Bought as a package directly from Sonos.

Already perturbed about having to upgrade some of my older devices since they didn’t support the new Sonos app. Used that upgrade discount to get the Sonos home theater package - and it doesn’t even work right - due to this audio dropping bug that seems to be very wide spread.

Add the brand new Sony Bravia 950h (75” version) to the list of TV’s experiencing the audio cut-out with the ARC.  TV is wall mounted. eArc is enabled. The sound works until suddenly it doesn’t.  I’ve gone as long as 2 movies without it cutting out to cutting out several times in 30 minutes.  My current solution is to open TV settings, attempt to set external audio to the TV Speakers and then immediately roll back to the external audio….sound comes on immediately (feels like the ARC went to sleep but I don’t know).  This thread is already huge and I haven’t seen much from Sonos on this in here.  What is the status of this issue?  Can Sonos at least confirm it is an ARC issue and not the TV’s.  I think I can deduce that given how many different TV’s are experiencing this issue.

Also worth noting, I’ve replaced the HDMI cable which didn’t fix this problem.  I’ve also played around with the audio settings on the TV, specifically going to PCM output but this disables the TV’s ability to pass Dolby ATMOS through which is completely unacceptable.  I should still be in the window where I can return the ARC and then wait for a solution.  That seems to be my next step but knowing a hot-fix is in the works would be a welcome indication.  Sonos?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @timhenn, welcome to the community.

Currently, there’s no new information that can be shared at this moment.

The engineers are working with the affected TV manufacturers to address the issue.

Once new information can be shared or available. We will let everyone know.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.