Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

I have a setup with Sonos Arc and Samsung The Frame 2020, and I have been experiencing the sound issues described by many users in this thread for months. 

After reading the latest posts from this thread, I contacted the Sonos customer support and explicitly asked for the updated received by some other users. Following a lengthy discussion and escalation to second line support, the update was pushed to my system. Since then, the problem has gone away so I can confirm that the update seems to work for me.

Let's hope that Sonos is able to release this fix automatically. Meanwhile, I recommend that you contact Sonos to get update (version 12.2.3 - build 61185070) pushed to your Arc.

I have the same issue, only started happening in the last month. 

Sonos Arc regularly doesn’t switch on automatically when the tv is turned on, and more recently constantly cuts in and out. I have to power cycle the Arc every time I turn the TV on.

I have a 2020 model Samsung Q95T 4K QLED Smart TV, with the Sonos Arc connected.

Not really impressed with the behavior, it didn’t do this when I first installed it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi folks and welcome to the new users here in the community. Just to let you know that our engineers are working on a permanent fix so you can smoothly use and enjoy the Sonos Arc with your TV. We have tagged my response as the best answer to easily provide the workarounds and updates for everybody. We keep track of every thread especially the threads with ongoing issues. We’ll keep you all posted here once we have an available update for you. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

While I appreciate finally getting an acknowledgement that there is a MAJOR problem with the Arc, it has been SOOOOO long with a premium product that my ‘patience and understanding’ have worn out.  Good thing we are in a pandemic and I dont have to ‘showcase’ my new Frame and Arc setup to friends by first explaining why I have to unplug the Arc every time I use it.

Specific question:  What is the targeted timeframe for a fix?  Within a month?  Quarter?  Year???  Needing to make a decision around replacing my Arc.  It is infuriating.  I am willing to wait a month or so, but my ‘patience and understanding’ for what used to be a company I loved and bragged on is now at it’s end.

Thank you all for all your efforts and testing. A system update has now been released which also include a fix to this issue (it disables the Sonos “screensaver” on an Arc if connected to a Samsung TV). Please update your Sonos systems. If you’re still experiencing problems after updating, please let us know.

Confirmed: Version 13.0 solves my audio cut out issue with Arc and Samsung (Q70T)

Badge +1

Looks like Sony has made progress. Firmware Update version became same for 950G and 950H.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/k1d6zs/finally_sony_bravia_firmware_update_version/

Same problem here - sound cutting out when streaming (music is fine). Samsung TV QE55 2019 and Sonos Arc.

Lately it is getting worse, having to alter the sound adjustments (toggling PCM, Dolby, Atmos settings) on the TV every day. No other HDMI devices connected

Anyone know how can I open a support case, I did not find a way to do it on the app or web?

Thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have spoken with Sonos and Samsung customer service in the last couple of days. After initially being fobbed off by both, I got to people who knew what was going on. And they gave the same answer, separately - that they acknowledge the issue between Sonos and Samsung and that their engineers are working on it together. Also that they have identified the issue and that it will be fixed soon through a firmware update on the TV end.

So, who knows how soon, or how hard they’re working on it but getting the exact same answer from both companies independently seems to be a cause for hope… 

Great news, thanks for digging!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Can we please get some feedback from Sonos about if this is hardware or software related?

Badge

Excellent ! Tell us if the fix is good ! Here , same  issue With my Samsung qled 95t. The sonos arc sound cut off, its seems random… strange.. please dev sonos fix it :-) 

Mine is 55q95t so if it works for me it should work for you!

I have an issue where the audio cuts out on DTV when I change channels.  Have to turn TV on/off to reestablish audio, then problem will resurface almost immediately after changing channels.

Setup is Sonos arc, LG 86” UN8100PTB (which is new), using HDMI eARC.

I changed TV setting to disable eARC, i.e. using ARC, problem solved.

Obviously wanting benefit of eARC, re-enabled eARC and explored other solutions. 

Changed TV audio output setting from Auto to Pass Through, problem solved. This doesn’t make sense as the pass through should only affect external audio sources, such as BluRay etc.

I’s continue to monitor and see if problem reoccurs.

I installed firmware update version 1460.9 on my Samsung QLED Q8DT last night and it appears to have resolved the problem. We watched several different streaming services with no issues. Good luck!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I manually updated (download firmware, put on usb, update from usb) my Sony A9G to the latest firmware - release notes mentioned soundbar integration enhancements. Normally this update is rolled out automatically by Sony but it could take weeks or even longer till you get it. 

No sound cuts occurred since this update. My sincere advice to Sonos is to really adjust and be more clear in your communication.

Apparently the integration with soundbars by TV manufacturers requires improvements and impacts Sonos as well. From what I have read, these issues also happen with equipment from Bose and Denon.

And yes, these issues should have come to light in the QA process of Sonos when doing integration testing. They were easy to replicate, but that is a learning I guess for future products.

Guys,is there a TV that actually works with Sonos Arc for ATMOS? So far it seems like LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, TCL, Hisense, Vizio all have issue with the Sonos Arc with audio cut out issues and no fix available yet. Is there even a TV that work for people here?

My LG C9 TV is working fine here and I get Atmos output.

Ken,

What LG firmware are you on and do you have eARC set to on the C9 menus? Also are you using the apps on the LG to play or sourcing elsewhere? I’ve been having drops on my C9 (latest firmware) when I have eARC set to on. 

LG firmware is 5.00.10 and eARC is on and the HDMI ports are set to pass-through. I use the in-built Apps Netflix and Amazon and Rakuten TV and also use an Amazon Fire Stick 4K Ultra HD… I’m about to add a Nvidia Shield TV to the setup too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. That’s exactly my setup (- Fire Stick). I’m certain it was all working up until about Christmas time then I started getting drops and not just on Atmos content. Turning eARC off fixes it but obviously will restrict me to non-TrueHD Atmos content. Maybe I’ll turn it on again and see what happens...

Badge

This is happening a couple times a day. Sony XBR75X950H. Most the time it is working and then it cuts out completely, while other times it will be choppy where it cuts out every couple of seconds (and eventually it will just cut out completely). I have to power cycle. This is very annoying.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@mrks That is great news.  I hope the news is for other TV makers as well given the issue isn’t just with Samsung but if they have identified the issue, and it’s truly accurate, this should give everyone hope.

Has anyone actually found a permanent solution to this problem or have Sonos actually pushed a fix to resolve this? The cutting and dip in sound every so often is so annoying and ruins the listening experience of such an expensive piece of audio equipment. 

Badge +2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

Hi All,

I am having the same issue with my Sonos ARC which I just got given for Christmas. 
I have th following setup:

Sonos ARC

2 x Sonos Play 1 surrounds 

LG C9 OLED

All running on the latest firmware.

I was not expecting this from a Soundbar in this price bracket. I was planning on buying the Gen3 Sub but right now I am planning on returning the ARC for a refund.

When will this be resolved?

Spent hours on the phone to Sonos Support, only to be spoken to with complete disrespect by their level 1 support. After asking to be put through to their manager several times and being put on hold in excess of 20min they refused. I had to call back to be escalated to a Level 2 engineer.

The previous post relating to it being related to 2.4Ghz wifi is just eyebrow raising and makes no sense, sadly the first level support are pushing it and it’s so far from the likely culprit.

What is evident is the issue reoccurs after long periods of inactivity, usually after being idle throughout the day while at work. Changing input and audio settings on the TV have no impact. The only way to resolve the issue at this stage is to powercycle the Arc, which is getting old fast.

I’ve tried a new 4K HDMI cable, which has had no impact.

I’ve tried switching it to PCM mode, which has had no impact.

I’ve check firmware is up-to-date, and no software updates are pending.

I waited for the issue to reoccur and sent in a new diagnostic: 139438149

I will say 2nd level engineer was much more courteous, but I feel as though they might be out of their depth on this matter, seems to be a fundamental issue with eArc on the device, which sadly is the ONLY way you will get Dolby Atmos, so switching to Optical is not a good solution.

Starting to regret my purchase at this point…

I hope a solution is found soon otherwise this will be the most expensive phone-paired music player ever...

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So with the new firmware update eARC is really important when using an Apple tv. If not enabled the support for LPCM wont work. I really hope there is a fix in the new firmware or else it will suck using an arc and Apple tv.

I should also note, doesn’t seem to occur when playing music via the sonos app from a mobile device, this issue is only occuring via the TV when directly connected via eArc HDMI.

It doesn’t matter what audio source, streaming or live tv via direct antenna, the result is the same. 

Perhaps it has to do with the device coming out of low power mode

Thanks - I’m ethernet all the way here. If it doesn’t move, it gets wired...

Same intermittent sound every time the tv is turn on resolved as you all reported by unplugging HDMI etc.

The problem in my system Samsung 8k and Sonos Arc is that the HDMI eARC connection is unable to wake up the soundbar from sleep mode. The intermittent sound is from TV speakers and the silence is the Sonos trying to wake up.

If I wake up the Arc by pressing the play pause button prior to turning on the system all works perfectly.

Hope that the Sonos people could fix this this with an update.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Folks, I mentioned this back on page 5, but I guess there’s so much to read that people may miss it.

I can’t understand how anyone expects e-arc to work without a compatible cable! The article here; https://www.techhive.com/article/3239084/hdmi-21-has-arrived-heres-everything-you-need-to-know.html and particularly the tables, indicate that a HDMI 2.1 (or better) cable is required for e-arc.  There’s a good chance that you’re using older, not compatible cables (and I read that the Sonos supplied cable is HDMI 1.4!).  They’re pretty cheap too.  I also note that as a rule-of-thumb, cables >6 feet require amplification.  Not suggesting that this will fix all snags, but surely worth a try.

Do you really believe that Sonos would supply a HDMI cable that was not sufficient? There’s only a handful of users that have issues with the Arc, but so many more that don’t and they’re using the Sonos supplied cable. I had changed cables and still had issues. You know how I resolved my audio drop issue?? I did the Sony update that fixed it. Sony even acknowledged the problem. I’m still using the Sonos supplied cable.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Guys,is there a TV that actually works with Sonos Arc for ATMOS? So far it seems like LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, TCL, Hisense, Vizio all have issue with the Sonos Arc with audio cut out issues and no fix available yet. Is there even a TV that work for people here?

Yep..my Sony works great. Sony came out with their firmware update a couple of months ago...no issues.

Experienced the same issue for the first time today. All the connected equipment’s software was up to date. So it was clearly annoying yet crucially very disappointing, especially because the fix was an antiquated PC support style system restart.

If it’s software, I do hope it’s fixed in the next update.

If it’s hardware, they must recall the affected units.

Meanwhile, the second sonos arc purchase is on hold.