Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

Thank you all for all your efforts and testing. A system update has now been released which also include a fix to this issue (it disables the Sonos “screensaver” on an Arc if connected to a Samsung TV). Please update your Sonos systems. If you’re still experiencing problems after updating, please let us know.

View original

688 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @hi-tone 

If you get Atmos at all from the Arc, then all is set up as it should be, and any issues after that are due to either content, the source (Apple TV), the physical connection, or the TV’s handling of external audio feeds. The TV’s handing of audio seems most likely, in your case.

Dolby Digital + is how you can get Atmos over HDMI-ARC rather than eARC. It should not switch mid playback, and if you watch content that only has compressed Atmos, rather than uncompressed, DD+ will be used, regardless of your connection.

Please unplug your TV from power for at least 30 seconds. If that doesn’t sort the issue out, you’ll likely need to wait for Samsung or Apple to release a software update. 

Feel free to get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system, and double check what’s happening here.

I assume the quiet Netflix logo is due to devices (presumably the Arc, but maybe the TV too) determining what kind of stream is being played at the start - if sound is played before it’s understood what format it’s in, you get some very nasty noises.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@tru3north

Unfortunately it did not fix the issue. There is sound missing for 1-2 seconds when the Netflix logo appear after selecting a movie, then the sound kicks in, but it still cut-out the sound after every 15 minutes. Not only on Netflix, so it is generic.

@hi-tone don’t worry about not seeing the Atmos symbol in descriptions. Like you said, you are still getting Atmos. Netflix support told me that. The symbol appears and disappears without rhyme or reason. 

The question is does the audio cut in and out? You said you tried my suggestion. But you didn’t say if it fixed the audio. You mentioned no audio during the Netflix logo intro. But does the audio eventually come, and if it is all ok after?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Corry P 
Corry, I’ve now tested over the past 2 weeks. It seems the issue is not completely gone when running Dolby Atmos through an Apple TV4K (in my setup). Additionally I’ve got the Arc and Samsung The Frame 2020 TV.

Watching Ted Lasso with Dolby Atmos on Apple TV+ on my Apple TV4K makes the sound cut for a few seconds every 15 minutes or so. The same when watching Netflix on Apple TV4K.

Watching local streaming TV with Stereo PCM, no problem.

Using the integrated Netflix app on the Samsung TV with Dolby Atmos, no problem.

Unfortunately Apple TV+ app doesn't support Dolby Atmos on the Samsung TV (yet?).

I read in another post, that the issue occurs when the TV switches to Dolby Digital Plus, but why would it switch to the DD+ in the first place ? Is this between playing Atmos and DD+ content / movies ?

I am quite unsure why the Apple TV makes mistakes, and who’s fault it is. Maybe you can enlighten us ?

I tried @tru3north advice to delete the Netflix app on my Apple TV4K and re-install it. After that I haven't been able to see the Dolby Atmos support logo’s on any movie. Everything is shown as 5.1, however when playing a movie, Dolby Atmos is supported and is streamed to Sonos Arc (as far as I can see in the Sonos app). I wonder if this has anything to do with feedback error or some kind of synchronising of data.

One other thing I noticed is that by starting any Netflix content, there is a short ‘no audio’ for a few seconds while the standard Netflix logo is being played before any title. 

Everything is updated to the latest firmware.

PS: I’ve submitted a diagnostics just when the cut-out appeared, but I forgot to note down the number. If you’d like me to try out different options or settings, please let me know.

Have looked into the HDFury Arcana option, if you also need an hdmi multi input for skyq and blu ray player etc that adds up to an additional £350 ish not to mention adding quality hdmi cables to all inputs required. How badly do we want to have Dolby Atmos?

I’ve just bought an Arc and 2 One SL’s. When streaming Netflix or ITunes movies the audio cuts for a split second every now and then. Similar to some of the others on this page. I’ve done the override on my Apple TV to force the audio output to Dolby 5.1 only. Still happens. (Don’t even mention Atmos, I don’t think my TV supports that. When I force the Apple TV to play Stereo only I have no issues. Just for Dolby 5.1 or what ever the source suppliers. What do I do ? Looks like it’s a common issue on here. Do I need to return the entire system ? 

It’s not Sonos.. it’s the firmware that needs to be updated corrected by the tv manufacturers. Sony has resolved this issue with their update. System works excellent now with Sony tv. You didn’t mention the tv brand you have but I suspect it’s Samsung (?). They have not got it straight yet. 

Sony has a fix??? That’s news to me!!! Still not working for me!!!

X900H

Sonos Arc, Sub, 2 x Sonos One

I have the exact configuration as yours and I have zero issues. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve just bought an Arc and 2 One SL’s. When streaming Netflix or ITunes movies the audio cuts for a split second every now and then. Similar to some of the others on this page. I’ve done the override on my Apple TV to force the audio output to Dolby 5.1 only. Still happens. (Don’t even mention Atmos, I don’t think my TV supports that. When I force the Apple TV to play Stereo only I have no issues. Just for Dolby 5.1 or what ever the source suppliers. What do I do ? Looks like it’s a common issue on here. Do I need to return the entire system ? 

It’s not Sonos.. it’s the firmware that needs to be updated corrected by the tv manufacturers. Sony has resolved this issue with their update. System works excellent now with Sony tv. You didn’t mention the tv brand you have but I suspect it’s Samsung (?). They have not got it straight yet. 

X900H

Sony released a firmware update for my A8H on 12/3 and it fixed the audio dropout issues.  I had to re-boot my tv to factory settings to get it to work, though.  I dont think that’s been the case for everyone. There was another A8H firmware update v6.5042 on 2/23 to address other issues.  You should confirm you have the most recent firmware for your tv (which is v6.0466 I believe if you have a US X900H model).  Contact Sony via phone or chat if you have the most recent firmware and you are still experiencing dropouts - they can walk you through the proper settings to get it to work.

X900H

Updated and still getting the issue. Was really noticeable while watching Kong vs Godzilla on HBOMax last night. Really thinking about getting rid of the this Arc!!!

When will we get the resolution we deserve??

I currently have Playbar and would love to upgrade to the Arc but as I have a Samsung telly and don’t want to change that, I haven’t taken the plunge. Am I wise to hold off or should I buy and be prepared to return it when it goes into Norman Collier mode? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If the TV has HDMI, then I would perhaps suggest you go get the Sonos Arc and bypass the TV with HDFury’s Arcana

Setup as shown in this diagram (just ignore the projector link):

I currently have Playbar and would love to upgrade to the Arc but as I have a Samsung telly and don’t want to change that, I haven’t taken the plunge. Am I wise to hold off or should I buy and be prepared to return it when it goes into Norman Collier mode? Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Badge

I had posted earlier in this thread regarding the same issue, have then gone a long period without an issue but it came back and looks to be due to the power cable being a poor fit, the slightest knock and either sound becomes  intermittent or there is no sound at all as it pops fully out 

There is already a different thread about this (arc loose power cable), may not be the issue causing intermittent sound for others in this thread, but it is for me

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

There does indeed seem to be a discrepancy between the latest firmware that a Samsung TV will download itself, and the latest firmware available on their website. I assume this is so they can get a smaller number of people to try it out before all TVs of that model update. A USB update shouldn’t really depend on what kind of computer downloaded the file, but as is mentioned, the TV must be able to read the drive. I’m sure the update will become available to the TV directly, soon.

Corry P I reached out to Sonos support. They advised updating to latest firmware for my Samsung Q80T, believing that this will fix the issue. I am currently on 1462 and my TV tells me that this is the latest available by internet install. However the Samsung website says that there is a new version, 1462.1, which is what the Sonos rep believes will fix the issue. Unfortunately it is only available via USB install using a Windows machine, and we’re all Mac. Bottom line is that Sonos appears to believe that this is a Samsung problem, but I currently have no way to tell. Guess I have to wait until Samsung provides this update by direct download. 

I was curious about this as well.  My Q80T also says 1462 is the latest.  My issue is that I have to unhang my TV from the wall if I want to get to my USB port.  Samsung really needs to release the OTA version of 1462.1.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Corry P I reached out to Sonos support. They advised updating to latest firmware for my Samsung Q80T, believing that this will fix the issue. I am currently on 1462 and my TV tells me that this is the latest available by internet install. However the Samsung website says that there is a new version, 1462.1, which is what the Sonos rep believes will fix the issue. Unfortunately it is only available via USB install using a Windows machine, and we’re all Mac. Bottom line is that Sonos appears to believe that this is a Samsung problem, but I currently have no way to tell. Guess I have to wait until Samsung provides this update by direct download. 

WRM,

there is a Way you can place the firmware on into the right folder, also on Mac. Just remember you have to format the USB in exFAT format for the Samsung TV to read it. Just google something like “Samsung TV firmware on mac.” I couldn’t remember the right way to do it either, so I googled it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @tru3north 

Thanks for the information - I’m sure it will help someone!

Don’t know why I can’t edit my own post but here’s an update: I deleted and reinstalled the Netflix app on my Apple TV and playing Lost in Space for 30 minutes now with zero problems. When I had issues, they occurred every 20 seconds or so. Everything working perfectly right now, Lost in Space and Formula 1 coming thru in full Dolby Atmos glory. Hope this helps others. 

IN MY CASE THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE NETFLIX APP ON AN APPLE TV BOX

Sub, Arc, One surrounds, Apple TV 4K, LG Nanocell

Based on my tests, I get a lot of audio issues - cutting out, complete audio loss for long periods and losing Arc audio to the surrounds - but only on Netflix played via the Apple TV box

Any other source that is not Netflix via Apple TV box - doesn’t even matter if it’s Dolby Atmos or not - plays perfectly. Disney+, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+ material played thru Apple TV 4K are fine. Even using the smart TV‘s Netflix app has no problem whatsoever.

Check it out. I believe the Netflix app doesn’t play nice on an Apple TV. 

@Corry P. It’s after hours here in South Africa now. I’ll try cancel in the morning. Have you got my details and diagnostics? . I would like someone to give me a fix for this issue. Hopefully not costing me a fortune.  

[mod edit: please do not share personal details like your email address]

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Yes, I am also technical support, and it appears that you’ve been misinformed. The interruptions are happening either between the TV app and the TV’s hardware, over the HDMI link, or at the Arc. The Sub gets the audio after the Arc and is incapable of affecting what the Arc plays.

I recommend you cancel your order - the payment may not have been processed yet, if you only just purchased it. I can only apologise for any confusion.

Someone will be in touch with you soon regarding fixing the interruptions.

@Corry P. A Man. Then I’ve just spent a lot of money for no reason. Are you a Tech at Sonos ? Not sure who to believe now. All I want it good Audio in Surround sound that does not drop out. Not sure why this is so difficult 😞 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

To be clearer, a Sub won’t fix the drops in audio.

@Corry P. If it solves the audio interruptions I am getting its worth it. (I will also get the benefit of having the good base)  If I am still going to get the Audio drops with the Sub I’ll be really MAD 😡