Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Userlevel 2

Just got the Arc and have it paired with 2 Play:1’s and a gen 3 sub. 
Samsung Q80R tv. 

The sound from the tv will play for around 5 seconds and then cut out for around 1 second, play for 5, out for 1, on and on. 

I’ve swapped out the hdmi cable twice, tried unplugging the tv, switched between PCM and DD+ and switched between different apps on the tv. 

The sonos app shows that I am getting an atmos signal  

Was running a beam with the Play:1’s (but no sub) before just fine.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thank you,

mike

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 17:51

View original

748 replies

Has anyone actually found a permanent solution to this problem or have Sonos actually pushed a fix to resolve this? The cutting and dip in sound every so often is so annoying and ruins the listening experience of such an expensive piece of audio equipment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are you sure your problem isn’t related to an assistant making the speaker duck?

No definitely nothing to do with an assistant. The issue seems to be getting worse with the audio cutting out more and more during normal viewing 

No definitely nothing to do with an assistant. The issue seems to be getting worse with the audio cutting out more and more during normal viewing 

That’s not something I’m seeing with the Sonos Arc that I have here - however, I have seen forum posts in the past where users lay-claim that their Arc was doing this audio ‘ducking’ and they felt it might have been an ‘electromagnetic field’ from their TV causing some kind of effect on their Arc touch controls and MIC.

IIRC this was just a ‘belief’, rather than them having any evidence in support of their claim, but one or two users did say the problem went away (coincidentally, or otherwise) when they moved their Arc further away from their TV .. I’m not sure if they moved it downwards or forward or both.. but they claim the problem stopped.

My thoughts therefore would be to perhaps try testing their theory by moving the Arc away from the TV or by disabling the Arc touch controls instead and also uninstalling any voice assistant and leaving the Mic off, just to see if that has any effect, nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

It certainly seems that not everyone (like me) have this issue, so there might not be anything here that Sonos need to fix at this present stage, as the complaints are few by comparison, so it makes sense to try to find something that may (just may) fix it in the meantime.

Hi folks and welcome to the new users here in the community. Just to let you know that our engineers are working on a permanent fix so you can smoothly use and enjoy the Sonos Arc with your TV. We have tagged my response as the best answer to easily provide the workarounds and updates for everybody. We keep track of every thread especially the threads with ongoing issues. We’ll keep you all posted here once we have an available update for you. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

i see this post from a year ago.  my arc continues to drop.  I have been extremely disapointed with my sonos investment.  

Hi folks and welcome to the new users here in the community. Just to let you know that our engineers are working on a permanent fix so you can smoothly use and enjoy the Sonos Arc with your TV. We have tagged my response as the best answer to easily provide the workarounds and updates for everybody. We keep track of every thread especially the threads with ongoing issues. We’ll keep you all posted here once we have an available update for you. Thanks for your patience and understanding. We and the community are always here to help.

i see this post from a year ago.  my arc continues to drop.  I have two arcs.  Once continues to randomly just go silent.  It does this most often when choosing scrolling through netflix.  If i back out and click back through the menu then the sound will return until i go back into a content app then it will cut out again.  most of the time it works fine but when it doesnt i have to unplug the arc and simply use the tv speakers.  I have an arc in another room that this does not happen on.  like another contributor stated, i don’t have the issue when i use the in tv apps, just apple tv.

i see this post from a year ago.  my arc continues to drop.  I have two arcs.  Once continues to randomly just go silent.  It does this most often when choosing scrolling through netflix.  If i back out and click back through the menu then the sound will return until i go back into a content app then it will cut out again.  most of the time it works fine but when it doesnt i have to unplug the arc and simply use the tv speakers.  I have an arc in another room that this does not happen on.  like another contributor stated, i don’t have the issue when i use the in tv apps, just apple tv.

Maybe try swapping over the two Arc speakers (temporarily) to see if the issue is related to the Arc or if it exclusively happens with the connected TV and it’s current connected devices - if it is the TV/Devices then maybe explore their CEC options and switch off CEC on all connected products and bring their CEC control  back online, one at a time …and test until you hopefully find which device is causing the issue. Once established, leave the CEC option switched off on that device or insert a cec-less adapter between the device and the TV.

Same intermittent sound every time the tv is turn on resolved as you all reported by unplugging HDMI etc.

The problem in my system Samsung 8k and Sonos Arc is that the HDMI eARC connection is unable to wake up the soundbar from sleep mode. The intermittent sound is from TV speakers and the silence is the Sonos trying to wake up.

If I wake up the Arc by pressing the play pause button prior to turning on the system all works perfectly.

Hope that the Sonos people could fix this this with an update.

Has anyone actually found a permanent solution to this problem or have Sonos actually pushed a fix to resolve this? The cutting and dip in sound every so often is so annoying and ruins the listening experience of such an expensive piece of audio equipment. 

Arc connected to LG65B9OLED tv.

Only had the Arc for 2 weeks and last week added two Sonos One SLs to create surround sound.  We’re getting the same issue with sound dropping out for a while and switching to the Internal TV speaker, then back again, for no apparent reason. I’ve only noticed it with the tv (live tv, Netflix, Prime etc., makes no difference) but then that’s what it is used for most.

I’ve checked we’re on the most recent version (it automatically upgraded itself when I installed it).

It’s bad enough that I have to unplug the Arc when I want to listen to the TV via headphones. Now this audio loss is happening I’m sorely tempted to take the whole lot back to the retailer for a refund of the not insignificant investment that at the moment is a total waste of money.

Are there any genuine fixes out there yet? I do hope so!

Thanks in advance.

Arc connected to LG65B9OLED tv.

Only had the Arc for 2 weeks and last week added two Sonos One SLs to create surround sound.  We’re getting the same issue with sound dropping out for a while and switching to the Internal TV speaker, then back again, for no apparent reason. I’ve only noticed it with the tv (live tv, Netflix, Prime etc., makes no difference) but then that’s what it is used for most.

I’ve checked we’re on the most recent version (it automatically upgraded itself when I installed it).

It’s bad enough that I have to unplug the Arc when I want to listen to the TV via headphones. Now this audio loss is happening I’m sorely tempted to take the whole lot back to the retailer for a refund of the not insignificant investment that at the moment is a total waste of money.

Are there any genuine fixes out there yet? I do hope so!

Thanks in advance.

Try switching off HDMI-CEC on any ‘other’ devices that maybe connected to your TV HDMI ports 1, 3 and 4.

I have the same problem with my arc cutting out for a few seconds every hour or two, it starts with a noise which i can only describe as short-circuit noise then silence then again a short circuit noise then it works again the bar was ok on my older ARC tv but i now have eARC tv and the problem has begun, has sonos actually come up why this is happening and how they are going to do something about it?
I have spent thousands on various sonos kit and i am very disappointed 

I have the same problem with my arc cutting out for a few seconds every hour or two, it starts with a noise which i can only describe as short-circuit noise then silence then again a short circuit noise then it works again the bar was ok on my older ARC tv but i now have eARC tv and the problem has begun, has sonos actually come up why this is happening and how they are going to do something about it?
I have spent thousands on various sonos kit and i am very disappointed 

I would follow the advice given by Staff and submit a system diagnostic report when it next happens (asap and within 10 minutes of the issue) and post the reference back here and then contact Sonos Support via this LINK.

diagnosis number 1285335881
2 minutes after the sound cut out, i have rebooted the tv and arc about an hour before the cut out, it made the strange kind of robot noise just before and before it came back

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is this the same bug as when watching streaming service from any source wether Apple TV or built in the sound just stops working? Like I’ll watch an episode of something on HBO max or showtime or whatever, and when a new episode starts there’s no audio?

I have the 75 inch QN95A. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It shouldn’t be, because the problem that started this thread should be resolved. See the first post.

I have this problem as well. 2017 Samsung Q7F. The soundbar cuts in and out so frequently, I am ready to get rid of it all together. It’s mind blowing that this issue is ongoing for over 2 years without a solution. 

All I have been doing is “resetting” the system by unplugging from power for 10 seconds and replugging in, or changing the output to TV speakers for 10 seconds while messing with volume then changing back. Still not a solution by any means….

I have this problem as well. 2017 Samsung Q7F. The soundbar cuts in and out so frequently, I am ready to get rid of it all together. It’s mind blowing that this issue is ongoing for over 2 years without a solution. 

All I have been doing is “resetting” the system by unplugging from power for 10 seconds and replugging in, or changing the output to TV speakers for 10 seconds while messing with volume then changing back. Still not a solution by any means….

Have you tried switching off HDMI-CEC on your ‘other’ HDMI connected TV devices, or if unable, inserted a CEC-LESS adapter to stop them stealing the focus away from the soundbar? Doing that normally fixes the issue for many with that kind of audio-dropout issue.

Badge

Hello, has this issue been solved since then? I have a Samsung Frame 2021, and considering to buy a Sonos Arc, so I’d like to make sure I won’t have any issue. Thanks for your answer. 

Hi @ stueyB did you manage to find a solution as I am having the same with my LG OLED TV and arc .... It is so frustrating as the amount of money I spent on it

Unplugging the arc and plugging it back in solved it for me for about a week and I’m back to it cutting in and out,  any fixes from Sonos?  I don’t want to have to plug and unplug it all the time 

Hey I returned my Arc under John Lewis warranty and my new one is working as expected now... 

Have a home theater with a Samsung QN65Q80BDF TV, Sonos Arc SL, Sonos 1 SL x2, Sonos Mini Sub,  and a Sonos Move. System worked fine for months then suddenly sound would cut out upon turning the TV on for seconds then come back on and off for 2-3 minutes then the sound would be fine. When I turn TV on again, the dysfunction repeats itself.   I bought a 8-10K eARC HDMI cable ($$) which initially fixed the issue for a brief time. Now the problem has returned.  I have contacted tech support for both Sonos and Samsung without resolution each blaming the other product.  I have resigned to living with the issue, but don’t think I should.  My Tv and Sonos is still under warranty.  Any suggestions?

I have heard thousands of complaints on this same problem. With no fix. The smart thing to do is demand a refund. Return the speakers. Tell everyone that you know why you returned and stop buying Sonos until they care enough to fix the problem. When they see sales drop and subscribers leave then they we learn. What good is sound quality if you can not enjoy it without interruption. I am going to another system. I have no time to waste on this anymore.