Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

Badge

I have a new Arc (with sub and surrounds) and new 65” Samsung The Frame. The audio connection problem is real.

Sonos and Samsung need to work together to fix it.

A simple power on and off of the Arc consistently fixes this. 

But doing this is not only inconvenient, also very occasionally I then have an issue with the Arc cluster properly re-registering on the network, sometimes then, in-turn, requiring me to reset my entire mesh network.

Sonos owes everyone a formal public statement about how it will fix its problem.

And it should fix it, and fast.

I have posted my issues in the past, and it's not solved yet. My setup is Samsung frame and Sonos Arc, and I endure the same drops as everyone. The only thing new is I have changed cables with more robust/better isolated ones, tried to keep the cables from different devices separated as much as possible and... Nothing, it's still a total disaster. 

The only thing I have improved is putting a power plug with a switch to shut the thing up easier than before. This is really a mess up. I was sooo looking forward to finally have a good set up at home... I am very disappointed 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I had my mom order the Arc, and this is happening at her place for the third time today.  Each time I have to go over and unplug the sound bar, plug it back in and the issue goes away for about 5-6 days.  I told her today this was a problem others were having with their Arc’s, but since I have not seen anything from Sonos addressing the issue, that it may be time to send it back.

Userlevel 3
Badge

It ‘appears’ so far more stable with these settings. Initially I had “output compressed audio without changes” and now set it to “output only compressed audio for multi-channel content without changes”. 

See photos of the rest of my settings. Just eArc, no PCM, no pass through.

(and yes the cables need some work… and the wall needs a new layer of paint, I know … )

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

OK. I take it back. Just changed channels on YoutubeTV (between the Giants/Eagles and the Masters) and sound dropped out. So not quite there yet . . .

Complete dropout?

Said it before that I get the same on my LG CX, certainly a trend of complete dropouts when switching between content/sources. 

Hi All,

I am having the same issue with my Sonos ARC which I just got given for Christmas. 
I have th following setup:

Sonos ARC

2 x Sonos Play 1 surrounds 

LG C9 OLED

All running on the latest firmware.

I was not expecting this from a Soundbar in this price bracket. I was planning on buying the Gen3 Sub but right now I am planning on returning the ARC for a refund.

When will this be resolved?

I have an almost identical setup - my LG C9 is running firmware 05.00.10 and I have no issues with surround sound (L)PCM/Dolby/Atmos - Have you set the HDMI Port to ‘pass-through’ with the eARC setting enabled?

My other thoughts are to switch off CEC on any other devices attached to the TV and if the problem persists then maybe try another HDMI cable between the TV and Arc. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@Florentcm Unfortunately for me, calling them has been even bigger dead end and a waste of time.  At least here, other prospective buyers or buyers who have return windows open can make a decision with the facts.  Also, once in a while, @Krishma M does respond and is trying to be helpful but this is unreal how long this is taking.  If this doesn’t get resolved, Sonos brand will just become irrelevant but it also seems simple enough they can fix this - I have other Sonos TV speakers and never had an issue, only with this.

Simply email the CEO like I did. They will respond with an email you to set up a time and date to discuss your issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @method_ben, thank you for the heads up.

I agree, hope our engineers find a solution soon.

Regarding the complaints, there’s not much we can do other than wait for a bug fix or update from our engineers.

Taking the return option is available to all; as long as it hasn’t passed the 45 day period. 

We’ll keep a close eye on this topic and we’ll notify if there’s an update

For now, we wait patiently for any news on this internally.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes. Complete dropout. Fixed it by cycling through audio sources on the tv. Works, but annoying nonetheless. Of note maybe is that this was not due to switching between apps, or switching from ATMOS to non-ATMOS content. Just a channel change. 

I have a Samsung QA85Q80T TV and thinking about buying the ARC / Sub package.  Current firmware version of the TV is 1461.  Does anyone know whether this version has the intermittent audio cut out problem?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @timhenn, welcome to the community.

Currently, there’s no new information that can be shared at this moment.

The engineers are working with the affected TV manufacturers to address the issue.

Once new information can be shared or available. We will let everyone know.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Apparently I am now running Sonos 12.2 build 6112310. And Samsung TV updating to 1403 as I am typing this. So we’ll see if problems are solved . . . 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yes. Complete dropout. Fixed it by cycling through audio sources on the tv. Works, but annoying nonetheless. Of note maybe is that this was not due to switching between apps, or switching from ATMOS to non-ATMOS content. Just a channel change. 

No idea seems random from my findings.

So is to my original question, is there a solution or should I just give up and return the Sonos Arc?

Just purchased an Arc and I seem to be having a similar issue. Voice/speech sound regularly jumps between being clear and then tinny/faint. Quite strange and very annoying.

It seems these issues have been going for a while, so I’m fairly inclined to return the whole system unless a fix is on the way. 

Corry P I reached out to Sonos support. They advised updating to latest firmware for my Samsung Q80T, believing that this will fix the issue. I am currently on 1462 and my TV tells me that this is the latest available by internet install. However the Samsung website says that there is a new version, 1462.1, which is what the Sonos rep believes will fix the issue. Unfortunately it is only available via USB install using a Windows machine, and we’re all Mac. Bottom line is that Sonos appears to believe that this is a Samsung problem, but I currently have no way to tell. Guess I have to wait until Samsung provides this update by direct download. 

I was curious about this as well.  My Q80T also says 1462 is the latest.  My issue is that I have to unhang my TV from the wall if I want to get to my USB port.  Samsung really needs to release the OTA version of 1462.1.

Badge

Same issue here, Samsung QE75Q90 latest 1372 software and arc software 12.2. Only happens when switching tv back on. had this same setup for a few weeks without issue, only days ago started to  happen. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’ve now been testing over the past few weeks since the update to the ARC and the Samsung TV (I own ‘The Frame’).

In the beginning I still saw some errors, with cutting sounds every 10 minutes or so, but since the announcement of the new Apple TV4K 2.gen with support of HDMI 2.1 and my current Apple TV4K was updated to tvOS 14.5, I haven't seen any issues since then. All ATMOS content work without any interruptions. I’ve tested over several apps like Netflix, AppleTV+ and Amazon Prime. It seems the problem may have been with the Apple TV as I didn't experience any issues with the built-in Samsung TV apps after the firmware update.

I’d like to thank everyone who has added to this topic.

Special thanks to @Corry P for adding support, while Samsung support is hopeless.

I have the same issue.  I have to unplug to resolve which isn't what should be needed with such an expensive piece of equipment.  

I replied to follow this thread.

Diagnostic number 945223379

I experience this issue often. Right now using HBOMax on Sony x900h. Sound cuts out and then cuts back in. 

If I take the advice above for Sony TVs. If I switch my TV audio settings to DD or PCM, how will it effect the Atmos? 

Hi, this thread was really helpful and I have one practical question.  

Can someone pls explain the difference I would hear with Dolby Atmos while using regular ARC vs eARC?  

I have an LG C9 so can only hear Atmos through ARC and just wondering if the difference to eARC (once the update is released) is actually noticeable?  Realize its personal but can anyone actually tell the difference and would a non-audiophile be able to tell the difference?  Basically how much am I missing? 

Thanks much! 

I am also curious about it I am also using x900h with HDMI 2.1 EARC enabled HDMI Cable with an ethernet connection to the SONOS ARC.
My sound was also getting cut for few seconds and then coming back.

Its annoying but still manageable as it happens to me maybe once every two to three hours of viewing.

I have changed to PCM I would check if its better.
But I heard PCM is STERO thats not good as Arc is a 5 channel bar.

Badge

Same for me but as above, mine is Samsung c9 oled. 
Perfect on the playbar via optical of course but had this for 3 days and every thing I try is the same. 
Also, really bad cut outs on play sl on both sonosnet and Wi-Fi. 
Was perfect for years but now…....

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

So today my thoughts are different about the Sonos Arc issue many including myself are having. After doing a search for sound bar eARC issues, many brands are appearing to have issues ,not just Sonos. Im thinking it’s a flawed eARC system and not yet free it bugs. 

It’s funny that you mention the Nintendo issue. Mine didn’t start having problems until we started playing on Nintendo Wii. Had family in town and we played mario kart and immediately started having issues. Xbox and PlayStation work fine. Why would that be?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So I think that I have determined that my continuing problem with periodic sound drops (every 12 minutes or so) have something to do with the combination of the Samsung Q80T, the Sonos Arc and my Apple TV. If I watch Atmos content through, for example, the Netflix app on Apple TV, I invariably get the sound dropouts. If I watch the exact same content through the Netflix app on the Samsung TV (i.e., independent of the Apple TV), no sound dropouts! Not surprisingly, if I watch the same content on Netflix through the Apple TV but using the built in TV speakers (i.e., unplug the Arc), there is no sound drop out, presumably because the sound out of the speakers is not Atmos. So it seems that the flaw is in passing the audio signal through the Apple TV. Could be the HDMI cable I guess, but I bought a high quality HDMI 2.1 cable, so I doubt that’s the problem. All device software is up to date. Maybe with the impending release of TvOS 15 the problem will go away, but I’m not hopeful . . .

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yeah still have this issue on my Frame TV - its crazy the number of manufactures this affects…some have patched it and some haven’t.